Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Also- where are these people who I've never seen posting on these boards coming from? It seems like the only people defending Dero are people I don't recognize. Not even Roogsy is defending him here. Where were you guys when TFC didn't show up in NYC a year and a half ago (and where was Dero)? Where were you guys when TFC couldn't buy a goal over long stretches of time? Where were you guys when Dero did such a distracting selfish post goal celebration that the other team scored seconds after play resumed? Everyone keeps talking about how terrible TFC would be without Dero- late breaking news: TFC is terrible WITH Dero!

I just woke up bro. Fuck me...

Anyways, I am having a good laugh at reading all of this. People are freaking out because DeRo wants to trial somewhere. Somehow this is news. I will be honest and say I didn't know about him already being there, but I knew he wanted to trial there. What his agent did to get him there I don't know but people here are acting like he's betrayed them personally. Honestly to me, this is actually more evidence that the TFC FO is a mess. You'd think we would have a problem with that as opposed to a player who is taking care of business for himself.

Just a quick question...before people started freaking out and posting their rage, did anyone actually lookup to see if DeRo has contravened any rules in the CBA? Because I will be honest, I don't know myself.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm tired of all this De Rosario drama. If he is NOT happy with MLSE, trade him or sell him to Europe if that is what he really wants.

Maybe we can take the money and build a proper squad. At the very least, we won't have the DeRo sideshow anymore.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

Anyways, I am having a good laugh at reading all of this. People are freaking out because DeRo wants to trial somewhere. Somehow this is news. I will be honest and say I didn't know about him already being there, but I knew he wanted to trial there. What his agent did to get him there I don't know but people here are acting like he's betrayed them personally. Honestly to me, this is actually more evidence that the TFC FO is a mess. You'd think we would have a problem with that as opposed to a player who is taking care of business for himself.

Just a quick question...before people started freaking out and posting their rage, did anyone actually lookup to see if DeRo has contravened any rules in the CBA? Because I will be honest, I don't know myself.
    I am sure his contract specificially excludes him from trialing and or training with any other club if only for the risk of injury. But of course contracts and terms& conditions have no bearing on Dero's actions. This is TFC's fault for him trialing with a club without their permission and approval. No big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep his contract, u might get some good transfer money out of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleep is for the weak Roogsy! Holiday shmoliday. You actually know some people who know some people, so let me ask you: do you think maybe Deros realized it's time to move on?

Edit: And question for everyone; lets assume this trial goes well. What's a fair transfer price for someone like Dero? What's his international market value? In the new MLS cba, does TFC still only get 1/3 of the transfer fee or whatever percentage it was?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I am sure his contract specificially excludes him from trialing and or training with any other club if only for the risk of injury. But of course contracts and terms& conditions have no bearing on Dero's actions. This is TFC's fault for him trialing with a club without their permission and approval. No big deal.
    Not at all. That's not what I am saying. For this to be a problem there would have to be one of two things. 1) DeRo's contract explicitly has to state that he cannot trial or train anywhere without TFC or MLS's permission and 2) the MLS Player's CBA has to explicitly state the same about each player and their club or league.

All I am asking is whether DeRo's contract (which none of us have seen so I am guessing nobody can speak to this) or the CBA (which we all have access to but I have not read in it's entirety) speaks to this issue and what the process is for a player to trial or train elsewhere? And what process DeRo's agent might have taken in order to do this either contractually allowed or quite possiblyi contractually disallowed. I am not claiming anything either way because I don't know.

I am not imploying, inferring or suggesting anything. I am simply trying to get facts lined up to make an informed opinion on this. Is that ok with you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Interim or not, DeRo's agent knows how to get in touch with Earl Cochrane. It's pretty clear DeRo or his agent did not contact him.

He needs permission from the club. If TFC decided they would let him go the negotiation would take place between the MLS and Celtic. MLS can't just pluck players off teams and sell them or send them out on loan at will without talking to the club. You don't think this is really how it works do you?
    I think the situation with TFC/MLSE/Soccer Solutions/MLS is a mess. Howvere things are supposed to work, they don't work that way at TFC. It's hard to watch this, I can't imagine what it's like to rely on these guys to run the company you make a living from.

Who is running TFC? do they give prompt answers to questions from agents or do they say, "I'll have to find out and get back to you." Could Cochrane sign a multi-million dollar DP contract today? Could Klinsmann? Does it have to be Anselmi? Would someone have to explain to him what a "loan" is?

I have no idea if DeRo or his agent even tried to follow proper procedure, but I can imagine how frustrating TFC is to deal with these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Ex.1. The Beckham Rule- Giving a team a chance to sign a "DP" player that would not count against the cap. (L.A. Galaxy)

Ex.2. The 2nd DP Rule- Allowing teams to sign a second DP player. Galaxy wanted to hold onto the chosen one, Landon Donovan, by giving him a DP contract.(L.A. Galaxy)

Ex.3. TFC's International Slots- Massive advantage given to TFC thanks to MO because he couldn't do his job in Canada.(Toronto FC)

Ex.4. DeRosario to TFC for Julian James and a 3rd Round Pick? No explanation needed.(Toronto FC)

Ex.5. The 3rd DP Rule- So that NYRB could sign Thierry Henry, Marquez and Juan Pablo Angel as DP's.(NYRedBulls)
    The idea of tampering is the issue.

# 1,2,& 5 - How is the league adding DP's tampering? These were all approved rule changes by the Board of Governors. Every team can benefit - though most have not on the field. Henry + Becks may help sell Jerseys but have thus far had limited impact in terms of winning.

# 3 Your wrong MLS realized Mo Jo couldn't do this job anywhere.

# 4 Was a classic salary dump. Success in Houston made it inevitable that Houston had to dump salaries in a salary capped league.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    I'm tired of all this De Rosario drama. If he is NOT happy with MLSE, trade him or sell him to Europe if that is what he really wants.

Maybe we can take the money and build a proper squad. At the very least, we won't have the DeRo sideshow anymore.

Funny enough, I have no problems with this. I know for a fact he is tired of the drama as well. In my opinion, this is a symptom of the problems with the club but I guess we will decide for ourselves who we will blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    The idea of tampering is the issue.

# 1,2,& 5 - How is the league adding DP's tampering? These were all approved rule changes by the Board of Governors. Every team can benefit - though most have not on the field. Henry + Becks may help sell Jerseys but have thus far had limited impact in terms of winning.

# 3 Your wrong MLS realized Mo Jo couldn't do this job anywhere.

# 4 Was a classic salary dump. Success in Houston made it inevitable that Houston had to dump salaries in a salary capped league.
    You didn't respond to my examples of McBride going to Chicago (basically they forced Toronto to trade him there), or the Sigi tampering between Seattle and Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all. That's not what I am saying. For this to be a problem there would have to be one of two things. 1) DeRo's contract explicitly has to state that he cannot trial or train anywhere without TFC or MLS's permission and 2) the MLS Player's CBA has to explicitly state the same about each player and their club or league.

All I am asking is whether DeRo's contract (which none of us have seen so I am guessing nobody can speak to this) or the CBA (which we all have access to but I have not read in it's entirety) speaks to this issue and what the process is for a player to trial or train elsewhere? And what process DeRo's agent might have taken in order to do this either contractually allowed or quite possiblyi contractually disallowed. I am not claiming anything either way because I don't know.

I am not imploying, inferring or suggesting anything. I am simply trying to get facts lined up to make an informed opinion on this. Is that ok with you?
    I am not the authority so whether its OK with me or not, is a matter of perspective. I am just finding it difficult to understand how you think this is OK or that his contract or CBA would not have addressed this. I think you know the answer. I also think you are amused by it but the reality is that this is extremely embarassing to Dero and TFC, and my guess, it will not end well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    He's replaceable
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't agree more. I have no idea how this F'n league is put together, nor do I want to waste my life trying to figure it all out. You guys all need to understand what is really going on here before you start saying he betrayed the club.

What if he is going over there for 3 months to make an extra 200-300k and will be in prime shape when the start of the season rolls around? We have seen elite players do this and have a fantastic impact when they come back. (we have also seen Beckham go over and get injured).

I just think before you guys label him a traitor, let's see how it all plays out. I wouldn't doubt if someone went over Cocharne's head to get permission. Until proven otherwise, my beloved Toronto FC is still a minor league team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I think the situation with TFC/MLSE/Soccer Solutions/MLS is a mess. Howvere things are supposed to work, they don't work that way at TFC. It's hard to watch this, I can't imagine what it's like to rely on these guys to run the company you make a living from.

Who is running TFC? do they give prompt answers to questions from agents or do they say, "I'll have to find out and get back to you." Could Cochrane sign a multi-million dollar DP contract today? Could Klinsmann? Does it have to be Anselmi? Would someone have to explain to him what a "loan" is?

I have no idea if DeRo or his agent even tried to follow proper procedure, but I can imagine how frustrating TFC is to deal with these days.

If someone is named to an interim position at a company it's pretty clear who you need to contact on decisions that are under that role's purview. Earl Cochrane is the interim GM. It's clear who MLS, DeRo, or his agent would call.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough, I have no problems with this. I know for a fact he is tired of the drama as well. In my opinion, this is a symptom of the problems with the club but I guess we will decide for ourselves who we will blame.
    I'm not really blaming anyone in particular, actually if anything, it's EVERYONE .... De Rosario, Mo, the club itself.

Just DO SOMETHING and end it one way or another. It's a big distraction and if it is dividing us supporters, can you imagine what it must be doing to the other players?
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I am not the authority so whether its OK with me or not, is a matter of perspective. I am just finding it difficult to understand how you think this is OK or that his contract or CBA would not have addressed this. I think you know the answer. I also think you are amused by it but the reality is that this is extremely embarassing to Dero and TFC, and my guess, it will not end well.
    I actually don't know anything about the methods the agent is using so I won't admit to "know" anything. As for the actions...I think we can all admit the relationship is damaged and either side is now in "bunker" mode. They're each just watching out for themselves. That's business.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

... another possibility is that they let Klinsmann know and kept The Coch out of the loop. That wouldn't be good news for Earl.

Seems pretty far fetched though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ... another possibility is that they let Klinsmann know and kept The Coch out of the loop. That wouldn't be good news for Earl.

So Klinsmann knew but didn't tell anyone at MLSE that their star player was going on trial? That doesn't sound too likely.

Things like this are why every year I feel like I care about sports 10% less. The more you know about athletes, owners, agents and the whole behind the scenes stuff, the less you want to stomach all these assholes.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    I'm not really blaming anyone in particular, actually if anything, it's EVERYONE .... De Rosario, Mo, the club itself.

Just DO SOMETHING and end it one way or another. It's a big distraction and if it is dividing us supporters, can you imagine what it must be doing to the other players?
    Well, talk to some players off the record. They might be wishing him well overseas as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So Klinsmann knew but didn't tell anyone at MLSE that their star player was going on trial? That doesn't sound too likely.
    Agreed. Just running down the list of possibilities:

1. Earl purposely lied
    2. DeRo and/or agent are D-bags
    3. JK knew but didn't tell Earl

I'll take what's behind door #2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone is named to an interim position at a company it's pretty clear who you need to contact on decisions that are under that role's purview. Earl Cochrane is the interim GM. It's clear who MLS, DeRo, or his agent would call.
    Yes, of course, but months ago it was Anselmi who stated publicly that if DeRo wanted to renegotiate he should call him. Then he named an interim GM and then he hired a consultant.

We're not seeing the actions of a well-run company here doing what's "pretty clear" should be done. TFC have let this situation - and probably many others, let's see what happens next week when Nana and Cann's contracts expire - go on far too long.

We're always looking for individuals to blame with tnis team, but fucking up something this badly takes a whole organization .

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Things like this are why every year I feel like I care about sports 10% less. The more you know about athletes, owners, agents and the whole behind the scenes stuff, the less you want to stomach all these assholes.
    As an aside, you should pick up United We Fall, a book based on the history of Leeds United. Very interesting look at the world of Managers, Chairmen, Agents, Players and the Press.

It won't do anything for your outlook but it was written by a Supporter who became Chairman (Peter Ridsdale).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Earl purposely lied

Gotcha. Maybe though we shouldn't be asking Earl? Maybe Peddie or Tannenbaum would have been the MLSE rep notified of such a move? I don't see it as likely, but I'd say that's more plausible than Klinsmann just not saying anything to anyone.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll pick it up over the weekend. Love the sports business books- I care too much about sports anyways haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Earl purposely lied

4. DeRo isn't happy working for a club that lied to him and refuses to acknowledge their dishonesty and is exploring his options.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, talk to some players off the record. They might be wishing him well overseas as well.
    They could be. All I'm saying is that this whole situation is a distraction and when things go bad (aka. losing streak), it becomes bigger than it should be.

I have no ill-will for the guy, but if he truly is not happy here and wants to make more money, than maybe the best answer is to sell him and get something for him.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yes, of course, but months ago it was Anselmi who stated publicly that if DeRo wanted to renegotiate he should call him. Then he named an interim GM and then he hired a consultant.

We're not seeing the actions of a well-run company here doing what's "pretty clear" should be done. TFC have let this situation - and probably many others, let's see what happens next week when Nana and Cann's contracts expire - go on far too long.

We're always looking for individuals to blame with tnis team, but fucking up something this badly takes a whole organization .
    Agree with you there ... TFC's history shows they have been pretty poor at that day-to-day operation of the club.

I just feel it's very poor judgment by DeRo & his agent not to contact the GM, interim or not, of the club he is under contract to and inform him or ask for permission to trial with another club.

I see this as a move by DeRo to create leverage to renegotiate his contract. My personal view is this may backfire on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotcha. Maybe though we shouldn't be asking Earl? Maybe Peddie or Tannenbaum would have been the MLSE rep notified of such a move? I don't see it as likely, but I'd say that's more plausible than Klinsmann just not saying anything to anyone.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll pick it up over the weekend. Love the sports business books- I care too much about sports anyways haha
    Have you read Dave Zirin's, "Bad Sports; How Owners Are Ruining Sports?"

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dear God (or random chance) I sure hope that Anselmi wasn't informed and kept this from Earl.

Plausible.

Not very likely though. He's just as concerned about bad press as he is money and I can't see the inner circle being kept in the dark on a big development like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this theory. It's the only reasonable explanation for why Celtic would trial a player under contract.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with you there ... TFC's history shows they have been pretty poor at that day-to-day operation of the club.

I just feel it's very poor judgment by DeRo & his agent not to contact the GM, interim or not, of the club he is under contract to and inform him or ask for permission to trial with another club.

I see this as a move by DeRo to create leverage to renegotiate his contract. My personal view is this may backfire on him.
    Oh it's a bad move, another bad move in a series of bad moves. I really don't know how DeRo was with San Jose and Houston, if this is out of character or not. To be honest, I had expected his relationship with the team to change and get better with the change in management but it seems to be worse, and that could be a bad sign going forward as the team tries to sign more players and someday a coach and GM (or maybe not, who knows).