Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 2589
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    True in the case of Freddie, DeRo or Becks but lets not forget other DP's such as Mista, Boskovic, Castillo etc?
    The 'brand' is that all of those players had significant European career, regardless of how popular or well known they are.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    The 'brand' is that all of those players had significant European career, regardless of how popular or well known they are.
    And further, the DP is in theory, about importing international talent in order to raise the profile and ideally the talent level of the league.

Players like Cunningham, Le Toux, Casey, De Rosario don't sell tickets the way that Beckham did across the league. NY has a new stadium? welcome Henry and Marquez.

The only homegrown player (US) to earn a DP tag is Donovan who captained the 14th ranked USA World Cup team and has played well in the EPL. He was grandfathered in as a DP under the "Beckham Rule".

I'm not convinced this is a long term benefit for the league. But it is what we have now.

Players like Cunningham and DeRo are good MLS players and can find above average compensation through bonuses and such that don't count against the cap (DeRo's cap hit is presently 335k)

But why in the hell would a smart club with money in the bank give up on scouting the world of football talent to reward a career MLS player with a limited DP roster slot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    But why in the hell would a smart club with money in the bank give up on scouting the world of football talent to reward a career MLS player with a limited DP roster slot?
    yup, there's no advantage. If you've already got a guy locked up for 2 more seasons @ a 335K cap hit, making him a DP does not improve the team one bit.

Signing De Ro to a DP contract will not improve Toronto FC in 2011. We've already discussed how little power he has, given that he willingly signed a contract that has 2 more years. Is he gonna score 30 goals if he's a DP? Nope. We still have him for 2 years if desired, at the current price. To pay him more would be bad business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    But some of these DP's have not had significant European careers, certainly not significant enough in my opinion to be picked up as a DP. If these guys have not had great careers and they are not well known then what is the point in making them a DP, just because they have played in Europe? If that is indeed the thinking behind it then that is just crazy, at least try and pick up some players who can contribute something. Like I said the only consistent element of the signing qualities of DP's is that they are incredibly inconsistent. In the case of Castillo, 30 games in four years in Europe and only one goal, well if that makes his brand (he has played in Europe - not much mind only 7.5 games a season for the last four years) DP material then more fool the MLS for paying him $1.4m a year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    But some of these DP's have not had significant European careers, certainly not significant enough in my opinion to be picked up as a DP. If these guys have not had great careers and they are not well known then what is the point in making them a DP, just because they have played in Europe? If that is indeed the thinking behind it then that is just crazy, at least try and pick up some players who can contribute something. Like I said the only consistent element of the signing qualities of DP's is that they are incredibly inconsistent. In the case of Castillo, 30 games in four years in Europe and only one goal, well if that makes his brand (he has played in Europe - not much mind only 7.5 games a season for the last four years) DP material then more fool the MLS for paying him $1.4m a year.
    Nery Castillo played quite a lot for Olympiakos and was worth 20 million euros transfer to Shaktar. He has also played over 20 times for Mexican national team.

True, his club career sucked last few years, but he is also only 26. MLS and Chicago thought he was worth a gamble.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to DeRo,

there are a lot of factors, but it's still quite possible he will be gone before the start of the season, despite him showing up for camp.

If things are poisoned enough between DeRo and ML$E that they are beyond repair... well a trade is not out of the question, particularly if MLS holds him to his current contract (which seems like it may be the case).

An allocation and draft picks could be quite useful down the road, and potential locker-room issues will be dealt with.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Back to DeRo,

there are a lot of factors, but it's still quite possible he will be gone before the start of the season, despite him showing up for camp.

If things are poisoned enough between DeRo and ML$E that they are beyond repair... well a trade is not out of the question, particularly if MLS holds him to his current contract (which seems like it may be the case).

An allocation and draft picks could be quite useful down the road, and potential locker-room issues will be dealt with.
    I disagree OT. If DeRo plays in MLS this season, it will be with TFC. The new regime has demonstrated a willingness to come to an amicable resolution regarding his contract demands and DeRo is well aware that MLS is the ultimate authority regarding the issue having dealt with contract renegotiations in the past. If DeRo is not willing to accept the offer that is currently on the table he will have to explore the option of terminating his contract with MLS and plying his trade in another league, simple as that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Back to DeRo,

but isn't this move a typical TO sports move...everyone knows we have DeRo troubles so why offer much?..I only see San Hose as a possible....I think everything may be a lose/lose situation........again........although I have great faith in our new mgmt
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    but isn't this move a typical TO sports move...everyone knows we have DeRo troubles so why offer much?..I only see San Hose as a possible....I think everything may be a lose/lose situation........again........although I have great faith in our new mgmt
    This is only a lose/lose because of one party at the moment, much to my chagrin. From what we're told they've offered him roughly 50% extra on his contract but he wants $1.7 million. Nobody in their right mind anywhere is going to pay him that.

I'm disgusted that the club even offered him a raise (yet oddly comforted that they've tried to make good on mojo's snakeoil sales pitch) after the celtic debacle but to turn around and demand that figure shows the guy has lost all sense of reason.

If he doesn't get his head right he's going to be sitting at home suspended without pay unless a club from another league comes in, pays a transfer fee and matches his valuation of himself. Does anyone on here honestly see that happening anytime soon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

European window is closed now, so he is staying in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    European window is closed now, so he is staying in MLS
    Don't the likes of the english lower leagues allow loan deals stiil? There's always the qatari league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know know they had to have all their deals done tonight by 11pm their time. There has been last minute extensions , but that's usually for deals that were in the works behind the scenes and they just needed a bit more time.

DeRo's options are getting fewer and fewer

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    There's always the qatari league
    Or the J League (window closes April 2). Or Norway (an exception because they are a summer league), March 31.

If he doesn't get his head right he's going to be sitting at home suspended without pay unless a club from another league comes in, pays a transfer fee and matches his valuation of himself. Does anyone on here honestly see that happening anytime soon?
    ... doesn't seem likely at all.

(yet oddly comforted that they've tried to make good on mojo's snakeoil sales pitch)
    I feel the same way. Good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post

DeRo's options are getting fewer and fewer
    If need be, the club or MLS can play hardball. The best DeRo could get in that situation is a release. He'd still have the problem of finding someone, anyone to pay him $1.7 million. Considering that he's almost totally unknown outside of MLS, the prospect of that is dim. In fact, he could find himself ending up in some Scandinavian or Eastern European league earning much less than he is right now.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-31-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is the one and only time, I'm on the side of MLSE, MeRo, is a loser....... best offseason so far eh guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I supported TFC from day one, when DeRo was not here. I supported TFC while DeRo was and is here, and I will support the club long after he is gone.

Players come and go, the badge remains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo Saga Coming To An End?

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ing-to-an-end/

Why I think that the controversy over Dwayne De Rosario's contract might be soon coming to an end.

Comments always welcome and appreciated.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good read.

I do think that someone close to DeRo (either agent, father, friend or combination thereof) have advised him that he is losing the public relations battle. In losing it, it doesn't help his immediate contract cause and it doesn't help his post-soccer "entertainment" plans.

The lack of chatter about sitting out is a good thing publicly. We can believe that he likes the new system and is excited about playing here again. Maybe folks take a forgive and forget attitude.

And maybe there is a contract negotiation taking place. I can't see it after both the MLS and Anselmi said no way in hell but perhaps a little bonus provision or pressure on TFC to pick up the current option in 2012 is being discussed. Maybe a little extension as well. Who knows. But here is the rub.

What is the story once the games start? If he underperforms, does he become moody? Do fans turn on him? Does he play himself out of town?

If he overperforms, does his own ego start talking to him again about DP dreams? Or does he simply appreciate team success and his contribution to it?

Add in the complexity that could arise if and when TFC bring in another DP. How does he react?

There is still a very interesting undercurrent to this saga that is right there under the surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    DeRo Saga Coming To An End?

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ing-to-an-end/

Why I think that the controversy over Dwayne De Rosario's contract might be soon coming to an end.

Comments always welcome and appreciated.
    One error in the article;

"...controversial “trial” with Scottish Champions Celtic ...."

Rangers are the Scottish Champions for 2009 and 2010 and will be for 2011.

Should read "...controversial “trial” with Scottish club Celtic..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canada72 View Post
    One error in the article;

"...controversial “trial” with Scottish Champions Celtic ...."

Rangers are the Scottish Champions for 2009 and 2010 and will be for 2011.

Should read "...controversial “trial” with Scottish club Celtic..."
    fixed. Thanks for the eagle eye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Dero doesn't perform this year, there will be a wrath of evil unleashed on him from the fans......

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and who gets the last word?

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jesus christ dero, that sweater, i know you got some money guy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ deal with it
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    jesus christ dero, that sweater, i know you got some money guy
    Yeah, and Crown Royal?? WTF?

If he wants to lead this team he needs a much better appreciation for a good whiskey or scotch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    ^ deal with it
    we have a winner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahaha well done parkie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm willing to donate $10 to help De Ro buy a better sweater.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    i'm willing to donate $10 to help De Ro buy a better sweater.
    maybe thats why he was asking for an increase?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo refusing to speak with media today as per Gerry Dobson's twitter.

sportsnetsoccer

1. DeRosario not talking to the media today. Could be trouble #TFC. GD 2 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its already being discussed in its own thread...

Link below...

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=26978
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."