Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting, thanks for the update.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think that's what the issue is at this point.

Even if TFC wanted to make DeRo a DP, I'm thinking MLS won't approve it.

But MLS and TFC have to appear united.
    Last edited by Whoop; 01-28-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I think that's what the issue is at this point.

Even if TFC wanted to make DeRo a DP, I'm thinking MLS won't approve it.

But MLS and TFC have to appear united.
    I have said it before and I'll say it again. You sign a contract you play out your contract.

If he doesn't want to play for TFC I would encourage him to try and find another team in the MLS that will pay him as much as he wants and offers TFC a good trade. Granted I am not an MLS manager or scout but I don't see anyone offering both. (Or even one)

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the problem could be solved by signing a real dp
    ie--jdg is not a proper dp and his signing as such was a huge mistake but mlse have to honor his contract and they are
    mero needs to honor his

plus if we sign a real dp the likes of a beckham or henry then this whole issue could be put to bed
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post

plus if we sign a real dp the likes of a beckham or henry then this whole issue could be put to bed
    QFT

With a real DP, DeRo would see he is nowhere near that quality, as good as he is as an MLS player.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    QFT

With a real DP, DeRo would see he is nowhere near that quality, as good as he is as an MLS player.
    I am pretty sure DeRo realises he is not the same quality as Becks or Henry, I would be amazed if he didn't. I seriously doubt he is asking anywhere near the money that these guys get in the MLS, it is not $5 and $6 million a season? As far as I am aware DeRo is not asking for that kind of money? What Dero could say though is that there have been about another 8 DP's who have played in the league in the last year who have not been as productive on the pitch as him.

In the MLS everyone is aware of what each other is paid and in his defence I would be mega pissed off too if some guy who has barely performed for the club in a season in a half was making four times what I was. If I sat next to someone in my office who was paid four times what I was for a far less return I would be raging too so I appreciate where he is coming from. He is not going the right way about it though. Best thing for the club and him would be to sanction a move, I would still thank DeRo though and wish him well as he is the best outfield player we have seen at the club, we will do well to pick up another player who can play as well as him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you sign a DP, you're not just signing for the player's ability, but also for the player's... brand. how else you're going to attract big names to MLS?

if DeRo had solid European playing resume, of course he'd get DP money
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    I would be mega pissed off too if some guy who has barely performed for the club in a season in a half was making four times what I was. If I sat next to someone in my office who was paid four times what I was for a far less return I would be raging too
    And that makes him (and it would make you too) a shitty team player and a selfish person who is more concerned about his interests, as opposed to what's best for the team. It's called being an adult and a professional.

It used to be that it was a joke that he was the captain of this team (at least in my opinion).

His behaviour in the last few months has shown that it's a joke that he's even a player on this team anymore.

How far his star has fallen.

I hope he's gone.
    I hope we replace him with a potent goal scorer who actually cares more about the team than himself.
    I hope he goes to another team in MLS
    I can't wait to boo him relentlessly if/when he returns to BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    And that makes him (and it would make you too) a shitty team player and a selfish person who is more concerned about his interests, as opposed to what's best for the team. It's called being an adult and a professional.

It used to be that it was a joke that he was the captain of this team (at least in my opinion).

His behaviour in the last few months has shown that it's a joke that he's even a player on this team anymore.

I hope he's gone.
    I hope we replace him with a potent goal scorer who actually cares more about the team than himself.
    So every time a top player at a top club re - negotiates a contract and asks to be paid the most at the club that makes him a shit team mate and selfish? I forgot that this regularly happens at almost every big club in Europe.

Also in Europe players get paid based on what they do on the field, if you consistently outperform the guy next to you who is paid more then you will either renegotiate your contract or be sold to the highest bidder. This concept only seems to be alien in the MLS where every logical rule in the book is thrown out the window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    when you sign a DP, you're not just signing for the player's ability, but also for the player's... brand. how else you're going to attract big names to MLS?

True in the case of Freddie, DeRo or Becks but lets not forget other DP's such as Mista, Boskovic, Castillo etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope he's gone.
    i think you have a man crush on him...maybe he didnt sign your hat....
    GROW UP FOR FUCK SAKES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Yeah, if only he contributed as much as Mista.

So, TFC's management was crap and DeRo reacted to that. Now there's new management and this will get straightened out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So every time a top player at a top club re - negotiates a contract and asks to be paid the most at the club that makes him a shit team mate and selfish? I forgot that this regularly happens at almost every big club in Europe.

Also in Europe players get paid based on what they do on the field, if you consistently outperform the guy next to you who is paid more then you will either renegotiate your contract or be sold to the highest bidder. This concept only seems to be alien in the MLS where every logical rule in the book is thrown out the window.
    Well put...it happens in every aspect of sports in the world...especially in European Soccer. I understand that people are upset of HOW he addressed this but I really can't see how some are upset that he's addressing it... To those that are cursing this man's existence... haven't you ever had a job where you put in a lot of effort worked hard then asked for a raise...or had a job where someone who shows up late puts in no effort and has a general lack of interest when he comes to work just so happens to be making significantly more than you? I have and I know how it pissed me off...The only difference in this is that he has a media outlet to vent to...this is real life these people aren't any different from you and I. I've seen DeRo kiss the TFC patch...I've seen him at time as the only performer on the pitch (Miracle in Montreal). I have no doubts that DeRo has a love for the city and club...people are taking this too personally as a personal disrespect.
    Last edited by TFC14; 01-29-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC14 View Post
    haven't you ever had a job where you put in a lot of effort worked hard then asked for a raise...or had a job where someone who shows up late puts in no effort and has a general lack of interest when he comes to work just so happens to be making significantly more than you?
    sure, but that's life. you don't go to your boss and say "look, I'm holding out unless you pay me more." And you don't go around to everyone who'll listen -- when the boss is around -- complaining about it. You quit and go elsewhere or wait until your contract is over, if you're a consultant, and you move on and find another contract.

Life ain't fair. You can go through every team in MLS and find a salary discrepancy between at least two players. Salaries aren't rational things where every player always makes the exact amount he should make in comparison to every other player.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

True in the case of Freddie, DeRo or Becks but lets not forget other DP's such as Mista, Boskovic, Castillo etc?
    Let's also not forget other MLS "stars" that put up significant goals and are key members of their respective teams.

I'm speaking of Casey, Cunningham, and Le Toux.

Cunningham signed a deal, one year removed from his Golden Boot, as the 2nd highest scorer all-time in the MLS for under $200k in Columbus. He's 34. DeRo will be 33.

The Designated Player rule is nicknamed the "Beckham Rule" for a reason. It wasn't designed for Casey, Cunningham, Le Toux or DeRosario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yeah, if only he contributed as much as Mista.

So, TFC's management was crap and DeRo reacted to that. Now there's new management and this will get straightened out.
    Seems like we got new management but the same old DeRo.

However this works out, the guy pretty much crapped on what should have been an exciting week for the club. New management, new players, potential academy investment on the horizon, pre-season in Turkey, etc, and the guy made it all about himself.

I mean, no matter what your lot in life is, no matter what you feel you want or deserve at any given time, sometimes taking the high road and doing what's best for everyone is the ultimate show of class.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope he's gone.

exactly he has bit of his nose to spite his face
    and its time he went away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Seems like we got new management but the same old DeRo.

However this works out, the guy pretty much crapped on what should have been an exciting week for the club. New management, new players, potential academy investment on the horizon, pre-season in Turkey, etc, and the guy made it all about himself.

I mean, no matter what your lot in life is, no matter what you feel you want or deserve at any given time, sometimes taking the high road and doing what's best for everyone is the ultimate show of class.

This thread isn't 100 pages yet .

It's weird that Winter said that DeRo, "is our captaina and our leader," but I think he's managing the situation well. He and Mariner know DeRo went all in with this and pushed it as far as he could. Now they'll see if he steps up and plays or they'll ship him out. It's good they didn't take action based on mistakes made by the previous management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No...there's nothing wrong with telling your employer that you think you deserve a raise.

This was never the issue with DeRo. It's all about the manner in which he delivered that message.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i think you have a man crush on him...maybe he didnt sign your hat....
    GROW UP FOR FUCK SAKES
    Huh? lol. Sign my hat?

You're mistaking me for those supporters that gush over meeting the players and thinking that they're their buddies. I have no interest in meeting these guys or sharing pints with them. I want to see football.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC14 View Post
    Well put...it happens in every aspect of sports in the world...especially in European Soccer. I understand that people are upset of HOW he addressed this but I really can't see how some are upset that he's addressing it... To those that are cursing this man's existence... haven't you ever had a job where you put in a lot of effort worked hard then asked for a raise...or had a job where someone who shows up late puts in no effort and has a general lack of interest when he comes to work just so happens to be making significantly more than you? I have and I know how it pissed me off...The only difference in this is that he has a media outlet to vent to...this is real life these people aren't any different from you and I. I've seen DeRo kiss the TFC patch...I've seen him at time as the only performer on the pitch (Miracle in Montreal). I have no doubts that DeRo has a love for the city and club...people are taking this too personally as a personal disrespect.
    Again...we all understand the "office workplace" analogy. Yes...he wants more money. Unfortunately he went about it the wrong way.

Here's another workplace comparison.

Don't we all know that guy that is a good/great worker but also enjoys the spotlight a little too much. The guy who is happy to take credit for work he hasn't done or the guy who fails to let anyone do anything because he thinks his co-workers are inferior. The guy who disappears when something goes wrong because it couldn't possibly be his fault?

If we're talking about DeRo in the fantasy land of the office workplace than that's our (hopefully) former captain.

BTW.being a footballer is slightly different than our "real life".
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 01-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    sure, but that's life. you don't go to your boss and say "look, I'm holding out unless you pay me more." And you don't go around to everyone who'll listen -- when the boss is around -- complaining about it. You quit and go elsewhere or wait until your contract is over, if you're a consultant, and you move on and find another contract.

Life ain't fair. You can go through every team in MLS and find a salary discrepancy between at least two players. Salaries aren't rational things where every player always makes the exact amount he should make in comparison to every other player.
    Agreed but they should let the guy leave, he had a chance with celtic only for TFC and the MLS to deny him the opportunity. Rightly or wrongly he went on trial and there is a chance he would have got picked up. TFC have an unhappy player and the only way to solve that is to look at his wage or move him on and for whatever reason they did not allow him the chance to do that.

The way people go on about DeRo you would think he killed someone. His situation is not unique, he is just a guy trying to make a living. He has no loyalty to the club just as they have none with him. I have seen the same situation at Celtic with DiCanio, Van Hooijdonk, Cadete and Viduka and I have no ill will or malice towards them. Some people need to just grow up, DeRo has a family and he has a right to look out for them and himself before any football club or supporter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Let's also not forget other MLS "stars" that put up significant goals and are key members of their respective teams.

I'm speaking of Casey, Cunningham, and Le Toux.

Cunningham signed a deal, one year removed from his Golden Boot, as the 2nd highest scorer all-time in the MLS for under $200k in Columbus. He's 34. DeRo will be 33.

The Designated Player rule is nicknamed the "Beckham Rule" for a reason. It wasn't designed for Casey, Cunningham, Le Toux or DeRosario.
    Or Mista, Boskovic or Castillo but shit happens right?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Or Mista, Boskovic or Castillo but shit happens right?
    Regardless of Mista's challenges with the club, you don't see a difference between a Beckham and a Cunningham?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Regardless of Mista's challenges with the club, you don't see a difference between a Beckham and a Cunningham?
    Beckham and Henry are extreme uses of the DP rule. If only every DP had the career these guys had, if only every DP had their fame and brand and if only every DP could still perform like they can. The only truth about the DP rule is that it is incredibly hit and miss and for some reason the MLS and its teams sometimes like to give it to guys who to be frank bring little to the table. Some of the DP picks are mind boggling, what exactly does Castillo (30 games and 1 goal in four years?) or Boskovic (Rapid Wien?) bring to the table? What exactly does an unfit Mista bring to the table? How the hell did Mista ever pass a fitness test? What the hell were the TFC doctors thinking ?

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ exactly mista was a joke
    jdg is a joke unless he suddenly gets his shite together cause last season he looked good but played too many balls to the other team many times
    mero is a huge joke and needs to learn the hard way that he is not even close to being worth dp money
    i know he is confused because of the stupid waste of money mo started but we are rid of mo and maybe need to be rid of mero

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K so with Mero back training with TFC should this thread be kaput?

just curious

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think it must be close. Maybe we'll here some news about a new contract, though.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^ I think it must be close. Maybe we'll here some news about a new contract, though.
    true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is a Toronto FC player for a bit longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Like seasons or weeks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all due respect to people comparing this to an average employer / employee relationship, the downside/upside to each party is greater and the outcomes are more extreme. This really only applies to certain situations where the environment is hyper competitive.

When the mantra is “produce or I replace you” which professional sports is, the employee’s mantra is “pay me or I’m outta here”. Each party will basically fight to the death to get what it wants.

Personally, I might not give Dero a raise but I’d consider restructuring the contract to make it guaranteed over two years and perhaps provide TFC additional cap flexibility, otherwise explore trade/transfer options.