Page 84 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384858687 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2589
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    You cannot say for certain that this drama would never have taken place......DeRo could still wanted to get paid. Wasn't that Wheeler interview with him a bit back where he first started in on the getting DP status promised....wasn't that before JDG. I could be wrong though...
    Wheeler interview was at the end of the 2009 season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    I started thinking that yesterday after reading the post presser comments by Dero.

Winter and Mariner are in a very touchy spot overall this and they are the only guys who can fix it. They still have enough distance from MLSE that they have the wiggle room to work it out. Conversly, if they decide that it isnt going to work, they can establish the new direction going forward.

Let's hope so. They didn't get a completely clean slate, there were all kinds of assistants they were required to keep.

Luckily for the team, though DeRo played this very poorly.

If he had played this better chances are MLSE would have continued to see him as a hometown hero and important part of the marketing and forced the new management to deal with him but he let them off the hook by being too public and losing support. So yeah, now Wintermariner can make the final decision based on what's best for the team without having to be concerned with marketing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    basically Mo et al paid dropped the ball when signing deGuz to his current deal. he is not worth the money we are paying him.

that DOES NOT mean that DeRo should also get a deal beyond his means. suck it up.

2 wrongs do not make a right.
    I agree definitely 2 wrongs don't make a right.....

The way I look at it....there was no doubt they made a mistake in the amount for JDG....but coming in he had a lot of respect among Canadian soccer players and was arguably(sp?) the best Canadian Player at the time.......getting him to come to play in MLS would have taken a lot of money....so yes they did have to overpay to get him to come here because he would have been able to make relatively decent money playing anywhere else in Europe.

So we can bitch and complain about what he is getting paid, but to an extent that is what it takes to lure people over here in their prime.

I love DeRo, but not worth the same money as JDG....JDG's contract in my opinion isn't really (to me) what he is worth salary wise, but a mixture of a transfer fee(to an extent) and his actual salary.......
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Wheeler interview was at the end of the 2009 season.
    Thanks Jerk....... there goes that theory....lol
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LOL

Just clarifying facts.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

JDG is on a bad contract... relative to TFC and MLS.

But the question is this.

At that juncture who had the better pedigree - JDG or DeRo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Let's hope so. They didn't get a completely clean slate, there were all kinds of assistants they were required to keep.

If he had played this better chances are MLSE would have continued to see him as a hometown hero and important part of the marketing and forced the new management to deal with him but he let them off the hook by being too public and losing support. So yeah, now Wintermariner can make the final decision based on what's best for the team without having to be concerned with marketing.
    A little off-topic, but combine Winter and Mariner's names a little more and you get...

Winner!

Ace.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG is on a bad contract... relative to TFC and MLS.

But the question is this.

At that juncture who had the better pedigree - JDG or DeRo?
    I would argue it is JDG because of his Club experience......and a question to you Vic.......has JDG been underperforming because he hasn't been fully healthy since arriving at TFC....or is it the players around him....or has he just stunk because he doesn't have it anymore?

I love the guy as you know and am hoping things turn around for him after the knee heals and in this new system.....Being guyanese I have to love DeRo and I do, but not too impressed like all with his antics.....that being said I am interested to have him on the team and seeing what a new system does for him.......it may mean that he distributes more because the team around him is better and has more viable options....but that remains to be seen......

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    A little off-topic, but combine Winter and Mariner's names a little more and you get...

Winner!

Ace.
    LOL... maybe that's what MLSE was banking on. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    According to the Score's Footy Show #316 (1/27/11), DeRo is asking for $1.7 million.
    I want to laugh hysterically at that figure (especially if it's an accurate representation) but it probably calls for another Picard which I've used already recently.

He isn't worth anywhere near that much to any team and we're the team he is probably of most value to anywhere in terms of marketing and name recognition as well as his onfield contribution.

time to get real, the fact that the club was willing to offer him anything extra given his behaviour is slightly surprising and a little unsettling but to turn around and demand almost 3 times as much as it is fucking ludicrous!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That number was likely chosen because it's equal or slightly more than what JDG makes. So in reality his agent is using JDG's contract as his barometer. If JDG was making $2.5 million, I'm sure his agent would be asking for $2.5 million.

He wants to be the highest paid player on the team.

You see this scenario in sports all the time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And Age, I don't know if it was because he wasn't healthy or if it was the system or if it's because he's not a good fit for MLS physically, but I know that JDG's pedigree > DeRo's pedigree.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And this is where dressing room issues can start.

When guys start using teammates' salaries as barometers in can lead to problems as egos can clash.

Why not ask for $2 million which would put him on par with Angel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post

Unfortunately for DeRo, this saga has played out in such a way that most supporters would prefer if TFC management let him go if he's unwilling to accept the offer that's currently on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, even I could live with the $600k a year if I knew it would keep him quiet.

That said, I highly doubt the cash will shut him up. Even if it did, and we sign another DP, he'll go off the reservation again.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Hell, even I could live with the $600k a year if I knew it would keep him quiet.

That said, I highly doubt the cash will shut him up. Even if it did, and we sign another DP, he'll go off the reservation again.
    What's happens if TFC signs a DP at $2.5 million?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what, I love DeRo as a player but this is getting ridiculous at a crucial stage in the rebuilding of this organization. I hate to say it, but if he isn't willing to accept 600K per season on a guaranteed contract for the next 2 years, then Winter and Mariner should plan on moving forward without him.

DeRo has provided some of the most memorable moments in TFC history but at a DP level salary, he is definitely replaceable. I think TFC should impose a deadline for DeRo to accept the offer of no later than a week from now. If he declines, let him walk, face a suspension without pay, and he can litigate with MLS to try and terminate his contract. The decision needs to be made soon one way or another so that TFC has enough time to find an adequate replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing. DeRo went all in. the biggest bargaining chip he had was that MLSE have been known to reward fan favourites (and they'd made those "promises") but that's done now (you know this board has been looked at over the past few weeks as have others to guage support. It's interesting that they talked about renegotiating with him before the season tickets sold out and now they can take a much harder line - the marketing department may not run the team, but they certainly have a say). And going forward there will be no promises, unwritten or not. Likely DeRo and his agent know all this, they pressured as much as they could and they'll take the best deal they can get and then forget it and move on.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we need to clarify things here because dero got a contract for over 1.6 million

over 4 years if we take his 400,000 a year + salary x 4 i dont get his beef

+ he has local recognition and a club as well as endorsements

he should have quit while he was ahead cause its decent money

jdg if he does not perform well this year will be job hunting no such thing was ever suggested about dero till he started these antics

he must know mlse GREED
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    You know what, I love DeRo as a player but this is getting ridiculous at a crucial stage in the rebuilding of this organization. I hate to say it, but if he isn't willing to accept 600K per season on a guaranteed contract for the next 2 years, then Winter and Mariner should plan on moving forward without him.

DeRo has provided some of the most memorable moments in TFC history but at a DP level salary, he is definitely replaceable. I think TFC should impose a deadline for DeRo to accept the offer of no later than a week from now. If he declines, let him walk, face a suspension without pay, and he can litigate with MLS to try and terminate his contract. The decision needs to be made soon one way or another so that TFC has enough time to find an adequate replacement.
    That's what they have to do.

Of course, now that MLS is involved, they might not even allow TFC to give DeRo a raise. The last thing they want is star players threatening to go on strike.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best case scenario for me is that we sign a DP striker that everyone agrees is a great signing to take away any leverage De Ro has. Then i wouldn't mind dealing him or letting him sit out.

Worst case scenario is that we let him go for nothing, don't replace him and end up being worse off then we were the last 4 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's what they have to do.

Of course, now that MLS is involved, they might not even allow TFC to give DeRo a raise. The last thing they want is star players threatening to go on strike.
    MLS VP has already come out and plainly said they aren't going to reopen DeRo's contract. Anselmi has also plainly said that reworking his contract for what would essentially be the third time in four years (between Houston and Toronto), isn't in the cards.

The league has to try and play hardball on this, because caving to DeRo would send a signal to other high-profile players grumbling about their contracts (or how much they make in relation to team mates), that this kind of tactic will pay off.

As far as they are concerned, DeRo has a contract, and that's the end of it for the next two years. MLS have also steadfastly resisted teams giving existing MLS players the DP tag, so that will be out of the question.

DeRo has extremely limited options. My prediction is that he eventually just drops it and focuses on the upcoming season after making some more noise, but who knows.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Best case scenario for me is that we sign a DP striker that everyone agrees is a great signing to take away any leverage De Ro has. Then i wouldn't mind dealing him or letting him sit out.

Worst case scenario is that we let him go for nothing, don't replace him and end up being worse off then we were the last 4 years.
    Very well put -- nothing would deflate DeRo's noisemaker as much as the signing of a great hitman up front who can produce 15 goals a season. Here's hoping MLSE splash out to do just that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And interesting comments from an agent and GM (grant it, it's about hockey) over yesterday's signing of Alexander Semin, in the whole one year vs. multi year, security vs. risk.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...uenced-by-cba/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that case. I remember feeling bad for Belanger and thinking what a dick the Caps GM is.

Maybe explains why I lean to siding De Rosario in this entire debacle.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The agent was dealing with the ass't GM in this case.

At least Eric Belanger came out and said what happened.

The whole time we've been left with innuendo, assuming that Mo made some sort of promise. Which could be true. But we've never learned what promise. I mean maybe Mo said "we'll make you the DP when we trade for you" only for the MLS to say no. So Mo made him the highest paid player on TFC. What more could he want?

And while there could be some sympathy for DeRo it all comes back to one thing....

He signed a contract.....

Belanger didn't even get a contract. And that's what the whole situation proves, if you don't have a written agreement - especially in sports - you're fucked.

Read the fine print!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When guys start using teammates' salaries as barometers in can lead to problems as egos can clash.
    Which is one of the reasons I can't stand MeRo anyrmore... I hope this cancer is gone from Toronto FC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For Thrillos.

“He made a choice two years ago, and he came to us. No one should forget that,” said Todd Durbin, MLS V-P and the league’s contract czar. “Had he played under his existing contract, he would be a free agent today.”
    The league has already exercised its option on De Rosario for 2011, and they are adamant that the matter will not be revisited.
    “We believe that the contract that he is under is the appropriate contract for him,” Durbin said.