Page 83 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 2589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yeah, and movie stars and musicians and really anybody who has an agent and gets paid by short-term contract and has most of their earning years in a short period of time. It's a situation that breeds douchebags.
    Yeah, especially when the value of their Human Capital depreciates at a rate 3 to 4 times faster than most human beings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 pages of comments, arguements, blame placing... The way I see it DeRo is not Captain Material.

If they insist on keeping him - please take the armband away and give it to someone else!

Bottom Line - Your captain should be focused on the team and not just on himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yeah, and movie stars and musicians and really anybody who has an agent and gets paid by short-term contract and has most of their earning years in a short period of time. It's a situation that breeds douchebags.
    Of course, most of these people apparently represent their interests better in contract negotiations, than DeRo or his agent.

It takes a special agent to have an aging client who is worried about having a guaranteed contract, and then have him sign a four year contract with two unguaranteed years.

While I don't sympathize with DeRo's salary demands (or the way he has gone about trying to force TFC's hand), I can sympathize with his concerns about guaranteed money. Of course, my sympathy doesn't rewrite the terms of the man's contract - the one he signed, I assume, completely sober and after reading it at least once.

This whole situation just continues to baffle me.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    83 pages of comments, arguements, blame placing... The way I see it DeRo is not Captain Material.

If they insist on keeping him - please take the armband away and give it to someone else!

Bottom Line - Your captain should be focused on the team and not just on himself.

DeRo stopped beign captain Material a long time ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    If he stays, as this seems to be the way the wind is blowing, here's how I see it going:

First home game, his name gets announced during the starting line ups with some boos and jeers mixed in with those yelling his last name. His first touch is greeted by a smattering of boos, his second by even less and more cheers to it then people get on with supporting the team.

The best way to put all of it behind him is to play his usual game but keep his head down, stick to his regular celebration when he scores and be the DeRo he's always been on the pitch

roll on 100!
    So much for that then. This is not going to end well for anyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The concensus is that there is no concensus.
    Moreover, there is little of value here, for his detractors and his supporters except waiving the flag.
    Thread should be closed and archived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    The concensus is that there is no concensus.
    Moreover, there is little of value here, for his detractors and his supporters except waiving the flag.
    Thread should be closed and archived.
    Why? It's an ongoing issue that has far-reaching implications for the team. it also has fresh information so if we close it now we as well close the whole message board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A month later we're still discussing this? At what point do we move on?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I'm guessing when its settled?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I'm guessing when its settled?
    lol I highly doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

When he leaves, which I don't think will be all that far away unless the league decides to make an example of him

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the Score's Footy Show #316 (1/27/11), DeRo is asking for $1.7 million.

TFC has offered $600 k (done by using allocation).

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/...+Footy+Blog%29

Here's my thoughts:

1. He wants to earn more than JDG.

2. I think we could buy a much better player than DeRo for $1.7 million/year.

3. He would be the 5th highest player in MLS, ahead of Angel.

4. There is no way he is getting that kind of money.

5. This shows another way being "MeRo" has hurt the team. We've lost several good players to free up cap space. It was a mystery why we needed so much cap space. Now we know why, and it's DeRo. This lack of cap space will also make it difficult to sign new quality players. Hey, but it's not about the team, it's not about long-suffering Toronto fans being able to have a quality squad to play for them. It's all about him. His money. His ego needs to be the highest-paid.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-28-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    5. This shows another way being "MeRo" has hurt the team. We've lost several good players to free up cap space. It was a mystery why we needed so much cap space. Now we know why, and it's DeRo. This lack of cap space will also make it difficult to sign new quality players. Hey, but it's not about the team, it's not about long-suffering Toronto fans being able to have a quality squad to play for them. It's all about him. His money. His ego needs to be the highest-paid.
    That's a fair bit of a stretch of logic you are making there.

The solution that TFC is offering makes us lose cap space.

De Rosario's solution (to make him a DP) means we gain cap space.

But of course when you want to make a player look bad why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a fair bit of a stretch of logic you are making there.

The solution that TFC is offering makes us lose cap space.

De Rosario's solution (to make him a DP) means we gain cap space.

But of course when you want to make a player look bad why let facts get in the way of a good rant?
    If we go with DeRo's solution, we lose a chance to sign another good player as a DP. So yes, it still costs us in squad potential.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we go with DeRo's solution, we lose a chance to sign another good player as a DP. So yes, it still costs us in squad potential.
    Considering the track record of DP's in this league, I'd rather have De Rosario as a DP than take a shot at a foreign DP and have him flop.

Plus we still have the option of a 3rd DP.

Its not De Rosario's fault that De Guzman shouldn't be a DP.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that we have to pay another 250 K for the 3rd spot, and that base salary hits against the cap.

I have full confidence that MLSE wont really let the 250 K become an issue, but I do fear the limitation against the cap when you commit so much into '3' DP's.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think this fight isn't DeRo vs TFC like many have made it out to be.

I think this fight is DeRo vs MLS with TFC stuck in the middle.

I have a feeling if TFC could they would give DeRo the money he was looking for. I mean they can afford it. And it would make sense. But the contract would never get approved by the MLS. Because it would mean DeRo would be made a DP.

Where I think the TFC FO screwed up is probably not by promising DeRo he would be a DP (even back then the league would never approve of such a deal) but telling DeRo that he would always be the highest paid player on the team. When JDG came on the scene that's when the problems started.

Then throw in Mista last season. More problems.

I think DeRo figured that if he had a good season last year there would be an opening to renegotiate his contract, but the opening doesn't really exist as it was a team/league option.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it is not JDG's fault either......
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post

I have a feeling if TFC could they would give DeRo the money he was looking for. I mean they can afford it. And it would make sense. But the contract would never get approved by the MLS. Because it would mean DeRo would be made a DP.

Where I think the TFC FO screwed up is probably not by promising DeRo he would be a DP (even back then the league would never approve of such a deal) but telling DeRo that he would always be the highest paid player on the team. When JDG came on the scene that's when the problems started.

I think DeRo figured that if he had a good season last year there would be an opening to renegotiate his contract, but the opening doesn't really exist as it was a team/league option.
    I would venture a guess that Mo was the person that made that promise.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The point about the fight being with MLS is valid.

From their perspective, the DP wasn't brought in to reward players like Le Toux, Cunningham, De Rosario and Casey. All players with comparable stats and "value" to their respective teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the $600k question is "Will that offer get him to shut up?".

I think the answer is No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Well, the $600k question is "Will that offer get him to shut up?".

I think the answer is No.
    maybe $600 x 3 years guaranteed would.

If he really is thinking in the range of 1.5 mill a year, his agent should get working on finding someone who would pay that, and then we could work out a deal.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    But it is not JDG's fault either......
    I agree. But its TFC's problem.

I still believe that had Mista and De Guzman never been signed none of this drama ever develops.

Of course, than TFC FO would have fans screaming bloody murder wondering why we never signed any DPs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. But its TFC's problem.

I still believe that had Mista and De Guzman never been signed none of this drama ever develops.

Of course, than TFC FO would have fans screaming bloody murder wondering why we never signed any DPs.
    You cannot say for certain that this drama would never have taken place......DeRo could still wanted to get paid. Wasn't that Wheeler interview with him a bit back where he first started in on the getting DP status promised....wasn't that before JDG. I could be wrong though...
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post

Yes, everyone agrees DeRo shouldn't have accepted any promises from MLSE, but it is an organization that owns four professional teams, has dozens of lawyers on staff and negotiates player contracts in three leagues with different CBAs and salary caps so they should have known what they were doing (if that organization really left the contract negotiations up to a guy with no experience, that's even worse).

Anyway, it's too soon to say that JDG shouldn't be a DP because if he's on a properly run team with two more DPs that has a lot of potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the Score's Footy Show #316 (1/27/11), DeRo is asking for $1.7 million.

TFC has offered $600 k (done by using allocation).

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/...+Footy+Blog%29

Here's my thoughts:

1. He wants to earn more than JDG.

2. I think we could buy a much better player than DeRo for $1.7 million/year.

3. He would be the 5th highest player in MLS, ahead of Angel.

4. There is no way he is getting that kind of money.

Very interesting. As many of us predicted, TFC's offer is based on his salary last year plus a 200K increase using allocation. I think the offer is reasonable given the circumstances.

DeRo's contract demands are ridiculous considering the fact that he is under contract and has absolutely no leverage. Even if TFC was willing to meet him halfway and settle on 1.1 million, there is no way MLS will allow him to recieve that type of DP level contract, especially considering the nature of negotiations in the public spectrum.

DeRo must come to terms with the fact that JDG's contract is not a realistic barometer. In 2009, JDG had an impressive pedigree in La Liga and he was out of contract, open to the highest bidder; entirely different circumstances.

I believe MLS will ensure that TFC stands firm on their current offer, and I agree, given the dangerous precedent the alternative would set for the league moving forward. If DeRo can't swallow his pride, he will be suspended without any income at all, simple as that.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-28-2011 at 10:43 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ A La Liga quality JDG would be extremely valuable in a 4-3-3 Dutch-flavoured system. Hopefully we'll see that. His upside is great.

I'm still trying to figure out where a free-floating DeRo as midfielder fits into all of that.

Agreed that there is no chance that MLS will approve DeRo as a DP.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-28-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC can't run training camp properly knowing that Dero is likely to walk out. He has to be sent home or moved.

I'm hoping that the only reason Dero was allowed on the plane to Turkey is to allow Wintermariner to be the ones to make the call.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    TFC can't run training camp properly knowing that Dero is likely to walk out. He has to be sent home or moved.

I'm hoping that the only reason Dero was allowed on the plane to Turkey is to allow Wintermariner to be the ones to make the call.
    I started thinking that yesterday after reading the post presser comments by Dero.

Winter and Mariner are in a very touchy spot overall this and they are the only guys who can fix it. They still have enough distance from MLSE that they have the wiggle room to work it out. Conversly, if they decide that it isnt going to work, they can establish the new direction going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically Mo et al paid dropped the ball when signing deGuz to his current deal. he is not worth the money we are paying him.

that DOES NOT mean that DeRo should also get a deal beyond his means. suck it up.

2 wrongs do not make a right.
    Last edited by flambe; 01-28-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: addition of cheesy idiom