Page 22 of 87 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Okay, here's my end of the day rant. Here's what I think is the big problem.

Everyday I come to this site and go to the news thread that Denime has got up early and started and everyday I want the same thing - I want to see the headline: "TFC in talks with ___ to run organization," and some big-name, we're-never-going-to-get-him executive. Some guy who spent his life with the biggest teams in the world and is now retired. Of course, it'll never happen, I just want to think that while these guys from one of the richest sports ownership groups in North America were driving around the UK thinking about buying Newcastle one of them said, "Hey, why don't we at least find out how much it would cost to get a really great exec to run our team in Toronto?"

But instead I get a story about some guy named Nathan Sturgis who's pissed off because he got traded to TFC and no one here can blame the guy for being disappointed.

And then today.

Here's how it should have gone: three weeks ago this agent phones TFC and says, "Hey, after Christmas, instead of DeRo laying around eating leftover turkey and watching TV all day, I got him a chance to train with a big team in Europe," and TFC says, "Hey, that's great, let's make it happen."

And then a few days before Christmas they issued a press release that says, "DeRo to get jump on season training with Celtic," and people here would have made comments about Celtic and the Scottish league, but all agreed it was a good idea for our captain to get some training in before the season.

Then today we would have seen the pictures of DeRo and Ljundberg and there would have been a lot of funny comments about it but overall people would have been happy that with less than six weeks to the start of training camp DeRo was getting in shape.

Instead we got this fucking fiasco.

Blame DeRo or the agent or TFC or anybody, it doesn't matter. This team doesn't seem any more prepared for this sason than it did for season one.
    Earl, clean out your desk.

Beach_Red, when can you start?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming that Jurgen is actually trying to get a GM and coach, can you imagine what this does for attracting decent candidates? Who would want to come to TFC? What a shitstorm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Assuming that Jurgen is actually trying to get a GM and coach, can you imagine what this does for attracting decent candidates? Who would want to come to TFC? What a shitstorm.
    qft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    what mls site??? I was quoting the TFC site and their official statement ... if we are going to have a debate please make sure to reference what I am posting about ... I did not quote the story on the MLS site

The one Jimmy linked to above, by Duane Rollins. But the story isn't important, it's the standard stuff, the stuff Duane wrote earlier on his blog. I was just interested in the comment that TFC felt threatened.

That's really what gets me about this, the team's reaction to the possibility that one of the players could train with Celtic before preseason. Why didn't they see it as a good thing, as something worth pursuing? Why did they give it the, "It's not my job," attitude?

Shouldn't any decision made be based on, "Will this help the team?" Here's a team with half a roster, no coach, no GM and preseason starting in a few weeks and they're saying, "It's not my job," like the pimply teenager on The Simpsons instead of helping with a little paperwork?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Other athletes have been burned by other managements for decades, by better run organizations than TFC.

There's better ways of handling things than the way DeRo has handled it.
    No doubt, but I think that its safe to say that those better ways were explored by DeRo and rebuked by the team - they thought they held all the cards, and DeRo has done (rightly or wrongly) what he's done to make them realize that he has options too.

I'm not saying that I support the check-writing incidednt or this Celtic stunt (if in fact it is a stunt)...I'm saying that I understand what lead to it, and I'm trying to remind people that there are two sides to the story. Its easy to punish the wealthy athlete and paint him as being greedy and out of touch with reality, but lets remind ourselves that MLSE - the very definition of greedy and out of touch - are the other party involved in all of this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one Jimmy linked to above, by Duane Rollins. But the story isn't important, it's the standard stuff, the stuff Duane wrote earlier on his blog. I was just interested in the comment that TFC felt threatened.

That's really what gets me about this, the team's reaction to the possibility that one of the players could train with Celtic before preseason. Why didn't they see it as a good thing, as something worth pursuing? Why did they give it the, "It's not my job," attitude?

Shouldn't any decision made be based on, "Will this help the team?" Here's a team with half a roster, no coach, no GM and preseason starting in a few weeks and they're saying, "It's not my job," like the pimply teenager on The Simpsons instead of helping with a little paperwork?
    Because it is his agent's job. That's what he gets paid to do.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, TFC management assessed and analyzed DeRo's whatever at Celtic to be of no benefit to them? i dunno. how does DeRo's little trip to Celtic benefit TFC?

on other note, Colorado's star striker Omar Cummings (IMO best striker in league for salary wise) may go on a loan to Aston Villa until March
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    No doubt, but I think that its safe to say that those better ways were explored by DeRo and rebuked by the team - they thought they held all the cards, and DeRo has done (rightly or wrongly) what he's done to make them realize that he has options too.

I'm not saying that I support the check-writing incidednt or this Celtic stunt (if in fact it is a stunt)...I'm saying that I understand what lead to it, and I'm trying to remind people that there are two sides to the story. Its easy to punish the wealthy athlete and paint him as being greedy and out of touch with reality, but lets remind ourselves that MLSE - the very definition of greedy and out of touch - are the other party involved in all of this.
    FUBAR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have serious doubt that a club as large as Celtic would be caught with their pants down. I have much less doubt that our front office run by a bunch of rank-amateurs screwed up.

We might as well be talking about Dero relocating to the moon, it means absolutely nothing compared to the grand scheme of running this team, which is royally fucked because whoever we eventually hire is going to be stuck with a bunch of retards on his staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    well, TFC management assessed and analyzed DeRo's whatever at Celtic to be of no benefit to them? i dunno. how does DeRo's little trip to Celtic benefit TFC?
    It puts us on the map in the that part of the world, establishes contact with a European giant...had it been handled properly DeRo could be over there acting as an embasdor for TFC. Wouldn't it be nice to put Toronto retirement ideas in Samaras's head?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It puts us on the map in the that part of the world, establishes contact with a European giant...had it been handled properly DeRo could be over there acting as an embasdor for TFC. Wouldn't it be nice to put Toronto retirement ideas in Samaras's head?
    eh. i don't see that as much of a benefit.

on other side, it has been suggested that Landycakes 3 month loan at Everton while helped him produce for US at WC, but burned him out at later stage of MLS season for LAG
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Because it is his agent's job. That's what he gets paid to do.

Okay, let me ask you this, if you were the GM of TFC, would you see DeRo training with Celtic as an opportunity worth pursuing? And if you did, after that first phone call from the agent, would you do any follow-up, or would you just say, "Not my job?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eh. i don't see that as much of a benefit.

on other side, it has been suggested that Landycakes 3 month loan at Everton while helped him produce for US at WC, but burned him out at later stage of MLS season for LAG
    I'm dead against the MLS loaning out its players to Europe during the off-season, I was refering to the potential up-side of having a player train with Celtic and/or trial with them with the intent to transfer the player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, let me ask you this, if you were the GM of TFC, would you see DeRo training with Celtic as an opportunity worth pursuing? And if you did, after that first phone call from the agent, would you do any follow-up, or would you just say, "Not my job?"
    If I asked the agent for assurances and told him we needed and official contract to train with another team then I would expect him to do that and get back to me when he's done so. His request, his responsibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd follow that up, but if I was in the middle of a shit storm of dysfunction I might forget (and then pretend that I knew nothing about it so I don't look like I'm apart of that dysfunction because I want a permanent job).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone else feel that Celtic sees DeRo coming over as a trial, not a training session? because exactly what does Celtic get out of this, if DeRo is only over for training for a week?

the retarded level of sneaky fuckery going on is pretty damn stupid

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm dead against the MLS loaning out its players to Europe during the off-season, I was refering to the potential up-side of having a player train with Celtic and/or trial with them with the intent to transfer the player.
    i don't see much of an upside for TFC at this point for letting DeRo trial at Celtic, bc if DeRo does impress, TFC loses a star player with no real replacements at hand, and probably not even get enough transfer fee for allocation to make it worth a while

enticing Celtic players to come to MLS? it's really hard to say whether DeRo's little trip might actually get Celtic players to come over to MLS

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If DeRo isn't happy and TFC aren't willing to make him happy, then going to Celtic is a great move - he's out of our hair and not playing in the MLS where he can come back to haunt you.

Had it been handled properly, the benefits of having DeRo act as an embasador for the league/team could have paid off. People over there don't know anything about our league, the only thing that they know is that they constantly hear that its shit. Having a career MLSer over there training with them and fitting in would surely help change that preception.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had it been handled properly, the benefits of having DeRo act as an embasador for the league/team could have paid off. People over there don't know anything about our league, the only thing that they know is that they constantly hear that its shit. Having a career MLSer over there training with them and fitting in would surely help change that preception.
    I think hearing that Becks, Ljungberg, Henry and Marquez plays in MLS does helluva lot more than DeRo going on a training session at Celtic.

and potential risk to DeRo does end up in Celtic jersey is that if DeRo does shit the bed, it only reinforces perception that MLS is a shit league and their players are junk (despite success stories of how many MLSers actually do play in EPL)
    Last edited by Yohan; 12-29-2010 at 12:10 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know whats great...if deros actions like this divide supporters / fans this much imagine what it does in the locker room.....sure glad he's our captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think hearing that Becks, Ljungberg, Henry and Marquez plays in MLS does helluva lot more than DeRo going on a training session at Celtic.
    I don't...I think those guys coming here says that this league is willing to spend money. I think that a career MLSer fitting in with a top club speaks to the quality of the league. Landycakes proving that he could contribute at Everton did more for this league's image than the other's treating it like a retirement home.

and potential risk to DeRo does end up in Celtic jersey is that if DeRo does shit the bed, it only reinforces perception that MLS is a shit league and their players are junk (despite success stories of how many MLSers actually do play in EPL)
    If that happened, no harm no foul...they continue to believe what they already think is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    you know whats great...if deros actions like this divide supporters / fans this much imagine what it does in the locker room.....sure glad he's our captain.
    I think that there's a good chance that his career in Toronto is done, if this is some how patched up there's no way he remains captain. If this is patched up and he remains captain we've got no hope...and I say that as someone who understands exactly where DeRo is coming from.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GONNNNNNNNNG!!!!!

MLS in contact with Celtic regarding De Rosario

TFC midfielder did not receive permission to train

Duane Rollins
    MLSsoccer.com
    December 29, 2010

TORONTO — MLS and TFC are now working with Celtic to secure the proper paperwork to allow Dwayne De Rosario to train with the Scottish giants.
    However, both the league and the club stress that they were not made aware of the trial prior to De Rosario taking part in a training session yesterday.
    MLSsoccer.com confirmed on Tuesday that the league spoke to Celtic about De Rosario for the first time Tuesday morning.
    “We talked with Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell this morning and he indicated that Celtic had been told by both the player and his agent that they had permission,” a league source said.
    Toronto FC interim General Manager Earl Cochrane remains adamant that no such permission was granted.
    “I was contacted a little more than a month ago by Dwayne and his representative—asking if we would entertain a loan or training stint,” Cochrane said. “We said we would but would need assurances and final sign off on it—that an agreement would need to be in place that we were comfortable with.”
    The signing of an official training agreement is standard throughout the world whenever a player under contract goes on trial with another club. Such agreements protect the player’s home club if the player is injured while on trial.
    Cochrane says the De Rosario camp was aware that such an agreement was needed.
    “They understood that completely,” he said. “I have not received anything official from Dwayne or his agent or Celtic. MLS will reach out to Celtic to clear up this situation and will do what is best for Toronto FC.”
    That process has already begun. “When we are told that by a club like Celtic we are inclined to not move towards a legal action and instead work with them to secure the proper paperwork,” the league source said.
    De Rosario will not be permitted to train with Celtic until an agreement is in place that satisfies both TFC and MLS.
    De Rosario did not respond to a request to be interviewed for this story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edu already went to Rangers, which could easily be seen as an equivalent move, and that didn't put us on the map.

DeRo only puts us on the map if he goes and had the same impact ad Donovan did at Everton. Highly unlikely he will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't see much of an upside for TFC at this point for letting DeRo trial at Celtic, bc if DeRo does impress, TFC loses a star player with no real replacements at hand, and probably not even get enough transfer fee for allocation to make it worth a while
    are you serious? there is a whole world of players available that will be available either on loan or on a free that TFC can bring in to replace Dwayne, without the drama.

dwayne is good.....but he is far from irreplaceable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    If DeRo is gone, you might actually find MORE people interested in the job(s).

I'm not trying to be negative. In all seriousness, dumping that salary and the drama might make this a far more attractive gig

Replacing him is not that tough. very few players in the world are irreplaceable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I have serious doubt that a club as large as Celtic would be caught with their pants down.
    Clubs as big or bigger than Celtic have fucked up in the past.

Ashley Cole to Chelsea, the Carlos Tevez mess at West Ham, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Edu already went to Rangers, which could easily be seen as an equivalent move, and that didn't put us on the map.

DeRo only puts us on the map if he goes and had the same impact ad Donovan did at Everton. Highly unlikely he will
    I didn't say - or mean to imply - that it would be a game changer and suddenly the entire world view us differently, someone asked what benefit could come from DeRo going to Celtic and I offered a few suggestions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    are you serious? there is a whole world of players available that will be available either on loan or on a free that TFC can bring in to replace Dwayne, without the drama.

dwayne is good.....but he is far from irreplaceable
    of course DeRo is replaceable

but its always a gamble to try to replace a proven MLS star with some player unknown to MLS.

I'm not totally against selling DeRo and his drama. but I am skeptic about TFC being able to find a player good enough, and be able to perform in MLS. so I'd rather stick with the known right now, unless something convinces me otherwise
    Last edited by Yohan; 12-29-2010 at 12:55 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling the Don will be visiting TFC in the new year to bitch slap some people for fucking up one of the leagues cash cows so badly.