Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Celtic Interested in DeRo?!

If I had coffee in my mouth, I would've spat it out laughing.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/...#have-your-say

(If this has been posted already, merge or delete.)
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post

This is shocking news!!! What type of reputation does this paper have???

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25724

There was a thread already about the possibility of this happening, but this seems to be updated info of Lenny actually confirming he is coming over to train and that. It was just a lot of speculation before

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why this is laughable.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Laughable because...well, it's just funny.

Seriously? I mean first Ljungberg and now DeRo? Celtic..what are they thinking?
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both players would hold their own no problems in that crap league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^yes the SPL is by no means one of the top leagues in Europe, but the Old Firm and maybe even add in Hibs could beat pretty well any MLS team, and most of the others would provide decent games. Not sure how many SPL games you watch, but I watch every weekend. The SPL is also a MUCH more physical league than MLS.

twistedchinaman, I'm guessing this is because as of right now Celtic have been in a bit of a slump, they had 3 straight draws until they won 2-0 this weekend and both goals came in extra time. Our top striker is out for 6 weeks and could probably use some more attacking options, even from the mid. I would highly doubt these 2 would be starters if they came, but could good bench players to come in and provide some more attack minded football.
    Personally I think there are others I would rather see in the hoops that we could frab from Europe, but I don't think these 2 would be bad at all and would enjoy seeing DeRo in the green and white

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is...how much would MLS need to be paid before they let both of 'em go?

Could this be a loan spell? I doubt it...
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with TFC Bhoy in his suggestion that the SPL takes a little too much stick in terms of being a rubbish league. I think a lot of it comes from their recent performance in Europe and their geographic proximity to England, which has the best league, arguably, and the best second division in Europe.

I'm a little surprised at seeing Celtic come in for two MLS players. Why would TFC agree to let De Ro trial with an eye to a loan? What's in it for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post

I don't get why its funny...

Its a catch 22 for some of us... I want to see him do well and play at a high level - but at the same time don't want to lose him from TFC...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I agree with TFC Bhoy in his suggestion that the SPL takes a little too much stick in terms of being a rubbish league. I think a lot of it comes from their recent performance in Europe and their geographic proximity to England, which has the best league, arguably, and the best second division in Europe.

I'm a little surprised at seeing Celtic come in for two MLS players. Why would TFC agree to let De Ro trial with an eye to a loan? What's in it for them?
    I'm just totally speculating but, with Dero obviously unhappy with the team last season, and reports of him leaving for another MLS club, maybe this was a compromise of "....we'll allow Dero to go to Europe on loan, and he returns to TFC in June..."

Again, I'm just guessing and throwing out thoughts...

Its a catch 22 for me (like I said before), I want him to do well and love to see Canadians do well in Europe, but I want to keep him on TFC...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please don't get injured while you're over there, dwayne. that's all i ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic badly need two centre back and a right back before anything else. We also need a goalie. Lenny I feel is out of his depth, the problems are clear to see. I don't see the need for lyndberg or dero at Celtic park, we need first team players who will improve the team and not more squad players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...

Go from being the big fish in the little TFC pond (where all the staff and coaches have respect for you and you are admired as a star player) to a tiny fish in Scottish pond -sitting on a freezing cold bench in the rain, where NO ONE knows who you are... all for what?

a bit of a raise for a few months before you are made to come back?

This is a strange decision on Dwayne's part and TFC should say no. Tell him you'll give him $100,000 more a year and to shut up about it already.
    Last edited by Pigfynn; 12-27-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree that center backs are first and foremost what Celtic need (BADLY), after that I would want another pure striker. With hooper out, looks like Sammy is gonna be sold in Jan so we don't lose him for nothing. That leaves just Stokes and Murphy up front. But I wouldn't be upset with getting these 2.

Although I do agree with most people that even as a Celtic fan I would like to see DeRo go there, I want him back at TFC, I think TFC need him far more than Celtic do as he would most likely just be a bench player anyways.
    I too am afraid of him getting injured as well as the SPL is a very rough league and would be really upset if he went out there on loan and got injured for the MLS season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First -- is this for a loan or a regular contract?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post

This is a strange decision on Dwayne's part and TFC should say no. Tell him you'll give him $100,000 more a year and to shut up about it already.
    ^ Because he is near the league max salary for non-DPs, to give him a $100k raise means he would also get the DP tag.

A DP Tag should also come with a certain level of leadership. Good luck overseas Dwayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    So...

Go from being the big fish in the little TFC pond (where all the staff and coaches have respect for you and you are admired as a star player) to a tiny fish in Scottish pond -sitting on a freezing cold bench in the rain, where NO ONE knows who you are... all for what?

a bit of a raise for a few months before you are made to come back?

Nah, I don't think there is anything strange about this decision. Dero's been the big fish in the little MLS pond for a long time. Has never really been rewarded for it financially. Maybe he just wants to prove to himself and others that he IS good enough for Europe. Even if it's for a short spell. You can't fault a guy for wanting to play at a higher level, even if he knows there's a chance he won't get much playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwayne...................take JDG with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ Because he is near the league max salary for non-DPs, to give him a $100k raise means he would also get the DP tag.

A DP Tag should also come with a certain level of leadership. Good luck overseas Dwayne.
    I know it would make him a DP. We still need him even though he's a bad leader...he's a very good player and we don't any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Nah, I don't think there is anything strange about this decision. Dero's been the big fish in the little MLS pond for a long time. Has never really been rewarded for it financially. Maybe he just wants to prove to himself and others that he IS good enough for Europe. Even if it's for a short spell. You can't fault a guy for wanting to play at a higher level, even if he knows there's a chance he won't get much playing time.
    It is strange if he's just going for a few months and then coming back to reinsert himself into our "lower level" team. What is gained here? DeRo satisfied that he has "proven himself" and made slightly more money for 5 months? I just don't get it.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think DeRo's just trolling for more money from TFC.

"Hey look, Celtic is interested in me! If you wanna keep me (happy) then give me more money or let me go"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Bhoy View Post
    I completely agree that center backs are first and foremost what Celtic need (BADLY), after that I would want another pure striker. With hooper out, looks like Sammy is gonna be sold in Jan so we don't lose him for nothing. That leaves just Stokes and Murphy up front. But I wouldn't be upset with getting these 2.

Although I do agree with most people that even as a Celtic fan I would like to see DeRo go there, I want him back at TFC, I think TFC need him far more than Celtic do as he would most likely just be a bench player anyways.
    I too am afraid of him getting injured as well as the SPL is a very rough league and would be really upset if he went out there on loan and got injured for the MLS season
    selling artur boruc has backfired
    Effrain Juarez can play right back, thats what he played in the FC Barca youth set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    +1 to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic had no option with Boruc, he wanted to leave badly. The mistake we made was thinking that Zaluska would be capable, he has proven he is not. Juarez can play RB but for whatever reason he is not fancied much by the manager, I liked him when I seen him initially but he has dropped out of favor a lot. Celtic's big weak point is their defense and GK, these issues should be addressed before anything else. Lennon it seems just takes a look to see who is available for cheap, it doesn't matter where they play, if they are cheap then bring them in. It is not how you sort out a teams problems.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    Another +1 to this.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I really think DeRo's just trolling for more money from TFC.

"Hey look, Celtic is interested in me! If you wanna keep me (happy) then give me more money or let me go"
    I wouldn't go down the route of creative bargaining. I think this is more basic than that.

He was promised money and status here that didn't materialize. We (Mo) put him in a corner by announcing his arrival and then offered him a contract less than what was promised.

We then brought in JDG with the status promised to DeRo and the cash truck to boot.

He is rightfully pissed at how the situation unfolded and is looking at his options. If my employer screwed me over on promises, I'd be looking at options too.

It would be good if we could make nice with him, make it all right and show the "respect".

That said, to do that requires the DP tag I still don't think he is DP tag worthy based on the fact that he isn't a leader. Good player, absolutely. But like JDG, not the best use of the DP slot.

So, with no ill will, I wish him the best of luck overseas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ sure, wish him luck, but whatev problems were caised by the previous management there's been plenty of time to correct it. Many, many fans wanted DeRo on this team and were quite vocal about it, so the team aquired him - this put DeRo in a very good bargaining position and he got the most he could have without being a DP. Then fans demanded a DP (and on this board started many threads for JDG specifically) and the organization went and got him.

But whatever happened then, we're supposed to believe there is a new management in
    place that can do what it wants. Anything that has happened at TFC since last September is on the current management and we really sholdn't let them get away with the easy excuse of blaming people who were fired months ago.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BIG question is... if you let DeRo go, who do you replace him with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a sale, I hope he commands a decent fee. The Dero Roof would be a nice legacy. Maybe we have Mo to thank for this somehow? (or blame, depending on your POV)

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome stuff if true. Good luck wherever you go, Dwayne.

This isn't a player around which we can rebuild our club, both because of his personality and because of the unstoppable advance of time. I know this is contingent on us finding a competent GM, but DeRo's salary would be well spent on a few much younger guys with potential upside and a point to prove.

Now, if we can somehow shake off the DeGuzman contract, that would really be fantastic.