Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as mentioned previously there was a flood of resumes but someone mentioned the majority of the prospects were underwhelming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver and Montreal will be better then us in no time. We are starting over once again, and they will be starting, but with an organization and system in place. We still have not idea not only what we will do, but what we want to do. Klinsmann has the right idea, I still hope that he will set us in the right direction, but clearly time is running out, and fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Vancouver and Montreal will be better then us in no time. We are starting over once again, and they will be starting, but with an organization and system in place. We still have not idea not only what we will do, but what we want to do. Klinsmann has the right idea, I still hope that he will set us in the right direction, but clearly time is running out, and fast.

Time certainly running out for the kind of big changes to the structure of the team some of us were hoping for. If all were talking about is another round of MLS coaches trying to operate in the same system we've had here for the past four years, why would we expect more than small improvements at most?

NE was a good team in a previous version of MLS but haven't even done as well as TFC since we joined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We need more then someone to operate in the same system, I had enough.

I am not one to ask for a coach with MLS experience. I am for a coach that will teach these MLS players to play proper football.

Preki was an MLS coach. Only in the MLS ( and maybe Benitez) does a defensive coach not concetrate on on tactics. That is enough for me to never what to see another MLS coach.
    Last edited by trane; 12-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    Only thing I can think of is if you look at NE's record post Mariner?

They have struggled this last couple of years.

Dunno though.
    Revs tried to push on with losing one or two key players per year and had decent success with drafting, but not so good with replacing their star players. their foreign player signings have not been good. losing twellman for good is going to hurt them a lot
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We need more then someone to operate in the same system, I had enough.

I am not one to ask for a coach with MLS experience. I am for a coach that will teach these MLS players to play proper football.

Preki was an MLS coach. Only in the MLS ( and maybe Benitez) does a defensive coach not concetrate on on tactics. That is enough for me to never what to see another MLS coach.
    possibly one of the silliest comment ever. just because Preki sucked balls, that means every MLS coach sucks? I'm sure Sigi, Bob Bradley, Kinnear and Yallop begs to differ

rarely a foreign manager has found success in MLS, yet people seemed so enamoured with a 'big name' that will somehow understand MLS and get the most of the team. IMO the jury is still on Backe, and Gary Smith was a no name foreign manager who took 2 years to squeak into playoffs and win the MLS cup. Oh yeah. Smith was an assistant for almost a year in Colorado before taking over head coaching job.

so there is no 'magic bullet' when it comes to head coaching job in MLS. but experience in MLS does count for a lot, even if the coach's footy IQ isn't as good as foreign managers
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ No, what he means is simply plugging in another MLS coach (an assistant, really) into the management structure we have at TFC will give us the same results we've had the last four years.

People were excited when MLSE hired Klinsmann because they thought, oh, here's a guy MLSE will listen to, he has a track record, he's a big name. And maybe they will.

But it's really starting to look like the current guys have entrenched themselves into the organization pretty deeply so if somene is going to come in and try to do things differently, it'll have to be someone with a big enough reputation to get people to listen when he says, "Do it like this." Otherwise all you'll have is a front office as divided as the dressing room.

This team has been about the most profitable MLS team for the last four years, it's really time for them to make a grand gesture, to do something that makes every other MLS team sit up and take notice and wish they could do something that big.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    ^ No, what he means is simply plugging in another MLS coach (an assistant, really) into the management structure we have at TFC will give us the same results we've had the last four years.
    I'm sure Gary Smith, Dominic Kinnear, Bob Bradley have something to say about that (no, i'm not throwing names out there because I'm bored)

I'm not advocating that we go off and sign anyone. but there are people out there with MLS experience that have pretty good idea how this league is suppose to work. I'm expecting good things out of John Spencer in Portland next year, and Paul Mariner is probably the most qualified MLS ready manager available right now.
    This team has been about the most profitable MLS team for the last four years, it's really time for them to make a grand gesture, to do something that makes every other MLS team sit up and take notice and wish they could do something that big.
    like what, hire Ruud Gullit and sign David Beckham? lol srsly. how do you top a benchmark like that anyways?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    possibly one of the silliest comment ever. just because Preki sucked balls, that means every MLS coach sucks? I'm sure Sigi, Bob Bradley, Kinnear and Yallop begs to differ

rarely a foreign manager has found success in MLS, yet people seemed so enamoured with a 'big name' that will somehow understand MLS and get the most of the team. IMO the jury is still on Backe, and Gary Smith was a no name foreign manager who took 2 years to squeak into playoffs and win the MLS cup. Oh yeah. Smith was an assistant for almost a year in Colorado before taking over head coaching job.

so there is no 'magic bullet' when it comes to head coaching job in MLS. but experience in MLS does count for a lot, even if the coach's footy IQ isn't as good as foreign managers

I think that IF you have the right GM in place....one who can select some "good fit" players then the coach can be from anywhere.

A good coach, given the right players (not the best players....the RIGHT players) will be able to get them playing properly.

I don't think you need to know MLS to get a team tactically sound. Knowing your opponents is important but knowing how to get the most out of your own players is vastly more important.

What good does it do to have a guy who can say:

"Okay...this week we have (insert MLS team here) and they've got (insert MLS star here) who is very good. They like to play (insert style here)."

....only to find out that he doesn't have the skill or the knowledge to implement a tactical plan to get the best out of his squad?

We need a sound tactician first and foremost. If you have a guy who is tactically sound he should be able to compete against a team (as long as the skill level is comprable) that he's never seen before.

If our choices are current and ex-MLS guys we're screwed because that pool is very limited.

I get that we shouldn't be looking for a foreign manager just because he's foreign.

We also shouldn't be looking for a manager with MLS experience just because he has MLS experience.

We need the right person....period...wherever he comes from.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    We need the right person....period...wherever he comes from.
    Bingo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like what, hire Ruud Gullit and sign David Beckham? lol srsly. how do you top a benchmark like that anyways?
    What the team needs is a president. MLSE have admitted they are "still learning."

A really good GM would be good, but that's not enough. The entire structure of the front office of this team is flawed and one guy - unless he's given complete control (real control, not the kind Mo and Preki had) isn't going to be able to make enough changes.

What I'd really like to see is the non-discosure clause in Soccer Solutions contract - because when this debacle is over I'd like to know what they were promised and what they were actually allowed to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, Mariner as coach is putting the cart in front of the horse.

I'm more partial to the van't Schip rumour.

Klinesmann has renewed Mo's failed discussions to lure him to TFC last fall.
    "He played for four years in Italy with Genoa and discussed returning
    to Canada to coach before Heart lobbied him."
    Full article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/john-vant-schip-takes-on-unique-challenge/story-e6frf9if-1225786093040

What's come back is that van't Schip wanted more control than Mo was offering. So van't Schip signed on with the Heart; he's in the 1st yr of a 2 year contract at $225,000 per.

Rumour is Klinesmann has offered a multi year contract, big $$$, and the top position where van't Schip has full control; and MLSE will work out his release with the Heart.

like I said, its a rumour

I first heard it in November from the dutch crowd in Orlando, and again this week from guys associated with the Coerver Coaching program. And I had heard about Mo's alleged talks with van't Schip last fall from a buddy who wasn't sure if it was true. It seems the article above gives it some credability.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think whoever comes in has to take a team that will be built in a proverbial day into the playoffs. Its a tall order all things considered. Implementing a new style of play, integrating new players, getting new players.

This is ridiculous all things considered.

Its a tall order considering the lack of time the roster will have to come together. I suspect someone will be announced in and around Jan 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    I think whoever comes in has to take a team that will be built in a proverbial day into the playoffs. Its a tall order all things considered. Implementing a new style of play, integrating new players, getting new players.

This is ridiculous all things considered.

Its a tall order considering the lack of time the roster will have to come together. I suspect someone will be announced in and around Jan 1.
    Red Bulls did it. Seattle did it two years running from a cold start.

It can be done

And remember there are ten and not eight teams qualifying next season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    For me, Mariner as coach is putting the cart in front of the horse.

I'm more partial to the van't Schip rumour.

Klinesmann has renewed Mo's failed discussions to lure him to TFC last fall.
    "He played for four years in Italy with Genoa and discussed returning
    to Canada to coach before Heart lobbied him."
    Full article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/john-vant-schip-takes-on-unique-challenge/story-e6frf9if-1225786093040

What's come back is that van't Schip wanted more control than Mo was offering. So van't Schip signed on with the Heart; he's in the 1st yr of a 2 year contract at $225,000 per.

Rumour is Klinesmann has offered a multi year contract, big $$$, and the top position where van't Schip has full control; and MLSE will work out his release with the Heart.

like I said, its a rumour

I first heard it in November from the dutch crowd in Orlando, and again this week from guys associated with the Coerver Coaching program. And I had heard about Mo's alleged talks with van't Schip last fall from a buddy who wasn't sure if it was true. It seems the article above gives it some credability.
    He was born in Canada, right?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing van't Schip take over TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 more hours... wow it's pretty late to be making an announcement!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS to contract TFC

This just in, coach is no longer required as MLS will contract TFC for a year until they can get everything in order.

Klinsmann, "We are not able to find a coach or G.M. meeting our requirements, we tried interviewing a few marinets but could not decide which puppet would best suit the MLSE portfolio. Most likely we will transfer the balance of Brian Burke's contract over to T.F.C. and he will take over beginning next season, once he is done burying the Leafs with another 2 1st rounder giveaway deals for a pair of new goalie pads."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van't Schip would be a nice fit, not sure why he'd leave the Heart for TFC, unless maybe the Heart's future is in doubt, as they've not been very successful at the gate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know TFC does not have a coach in place and the roster has been depleted to a point of maybe bringing Rickety rickkets back .

I really believe that all this team needs is a Solid coach that the players respect !!
    Last edited by aboveandbeyond; 12-25-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

better make it 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Van't Schip would be a nice fit, not sure why he'd leave the Heart for TFC, unless maybe the Heart's future is in doubt, as they've not been very successful at the gate.
    Melbourne Heart, are 5th in the league of 11 teams, but they have played more games than the next 3 teams, so really the Melbourne Heart should be 8th with a record of 7 wins, 6 ties, and 10 losses (-11 goal difference).

Their average attendance is 8,000 in a stadium that has a capacity of 33,000. The league average attendance is around the same number.

2010-11 is the teams inaugural season. If Van't Schipp has any balls I'm sure he will stick it out for the rest of the season. He's the teams first head coach, I have my doubts about him leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team is really going to have to think about this decision ..There is a tonne of pressure on them not to fuck it up..
    I think that no matter who they bring in there is a big chance of failure .. Lets hope not ..
    There really is no win win .. rebuilding is what has to happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Melbourne Heart, are 5th in the league of 11 teams, but they have played more games than the next 3 teams, so really the Melbourne Heart should be 8th with a record of 7 wins, 6 ties, and 10 losses (-11 goal difference).

Their average attendance is 8,000 in a stadium that has a capacity of 33,000. The league average attendance is around the same number.

2010-11 is the teams inaugural season. If Van't Schipp has any balls I'm sure he will stick it out for the rest of the season. He's the teams first head coach, I have my doubts about him leaving.
    Yes, but that's misleading. First, they're worried about the future of the league as a whole in Australia due to poor attendances this season. So being average is nothing positive. Secondly, their average attendance has been inflated by their matches with the Victory, where near capacity crowds have been drawn.

I'd be surprised if leave's too, there's some good players on the Heart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Yes, but that's misleading. First, they're worried about the future of the league as a whole in Australia due to poor attendances this season. So being average is nothing positive. Secondly, their average attendance has been inflated by their matches with the Victory, where near capacity crowds have been drawn.

I'd be surprised if leave's too, there's some good players on the Heart.
    and Heart is trying to poach on Melbourne Victory's ground, hence low attendance numbers

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sampace View Post
    They should pay whatever it takes for Holger Osieck to get out of his contract and coach TFC.

That would be great. Everyone would complain, the players would be unhappy, but at least we'd win trophies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the news thread today, there is an article about Paul Mariner emerging as a potential candidate for the job?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...to-fc-job.html

What do you guys think? Definately better then Daso in my mind. I wouldn't hate this move if it happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    In the news thread today, there is an article about Paul Mariner emerging as a potential candidate for the job?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...to-fc-job.html

What do you guys think? Definately better then Daso in my mind. I wouldn't hate this move if it happened.
    Did the groundhog see his shadow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see good football played in Toronto, for my money nobody plays good football in the MLS. There are many reasons for it, and some of the coaches you mention may be better then I give them credit. But I want a coach who will teach our team to play football, as most MLS players do not know that. Therefore I need someone to raise the level of play ABOVE what is currently the MLS best. Clearly you are unlikely to find that in the MLS. You have a level of respect for the MLS that I just do not share. As I have stated before if it were not for TFC I would care less about the MLS then a beer hockey league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see good football played in Toronto, for my money nobody plays good football in the MLS. There are many reasons for it, and some of the coaches you mention may be better then I give them credit. But I want a coach who will teach our team to play football, as most MLS players do not know that. Therefore I need someone to raise the level of play ABOVE what is currently the MLS best. Clearly you are unlikely to find that in the MLS. You have a level of respect for the MLS that I just do not share. As I have stated before if it were not for TFC I would care less about the MLS then a beer hockey league.

Trane not for anything if this is your expectations you will be disappointed and there is no way you will ever be appeased. This is in not Europe or a top team from Brazil or Argentina. The reason the MLS will never achieve this is because the overal talent is vastly inferior to the product you are comparing it to.

IF you watch the playoffs for the MLS Salt Lake, LA, seattle, SJ and sometimes New York played attractive free flowing soccer. Our problem is two fold we need a coach with a system and we players to fit the system. TFC won't get the name coach because they won't come to North America and we need to find the diamond in the rough as a coach. IMO Mariner is not the answer nor is Quieroz. Mariner's club was DEMOTED and Quieroz could do squat with Portugal which talent is vastly superior to any club in the MLS. Also, Quieroz is a deffensive coach and we would be Preki part 2.

I hope TFC makes the right decision on who they hire and I think we will all be disappointed when the announcement is made as it won't be the name that will appease the masses. I just hope the results that follow suprise us all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I am not expecting top league level football but consistent professional level football that is played in any professional league in the world, at least in the first three levels in any country. Right now we do not have that on a consistent basis, many times MLS clubs look like amauteurs.