0 Thread(s)

^ That's a strawman argument

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I sometimes wonder about this. In the short term it would probably cost us some goals, but depending on where the team is at, it might be worth it to get what you can for him and look elsewhere.

I certainly have some reservations about DeRo's attitude, and his "me first" tendencies on the pitch. There's no denying he's a great MLS talent, but in a 10-man team game, being a really talented individual isn't necessarily all that matters.

- Scott
    Yep, and you know titles were never won on teams making safe decisions.

No one will be mad at MLSE for hanging onto De Ro until an obvious decline, its a decision I'm sure they feel would upset the majority of the fan base so they wont do it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone save me the 14 pages of reading - is this still supposed to be happening or was it just hog wash and blustering for more money?
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    someone save me the 14 pages of reading - is this still supposed to be happening or was it just hog wash and blustering for more money?
    De Ro denied it on facebook. So it's speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask the OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    If he was making 5 million a year and complained... I would hold it against him. However, the guy is making $400k and wants to take it to the next level, I honestly can't blame the guy. He could be a little more discreet about it though.
    I didn't wanna be the one to actually start the thread as i have known about this for a lil while now but had to wait until someone created the thread to respond.

Mastermixer your exactly right with your comment above, the man has been the best player and showed the most heart, without him there is no offensive threat. He has seen Julian come in a get the money he is getting and not perform at the same levels DeRo has and JDG is younger, he has seen Mista come in and get paid very well for contributing nothing and fans talking about him complaining etc should take into account that he has been given the run around by the club/city he loves since he came back home.

If TFC dont give him what he feels he deserves then another club will. He only has a couple years left in his playing career and unfortunate for him he has been playing in the MLS for years when maybe the money being paid to players wasn't that high so he needs to do what is best for him and his family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I can't understand why people seem to resent him for that. The check-signing motion was a bad move at a bad time, but if people knew about all the lies and BS that he's put up with they'd understand his frustration.

DeRo is the best player that we've ever had - there isn't even a close second to him. We would have finished dead last without him these past two years. Haters think that he's easily replaced...if Dwayne ends up in San Jose they'll realize how wrong they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    should this thread be titled something like "extreme baseless rumour - DeRo"
    Why would it be titled something like that when there is a very good possibility he is going there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    There isn't smoke....
    No smoke but a lil fire already started awhile ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    No smoke but a lil fire already started awhile ago
    TFC has to field offers for Dero regardless if they intend to trade him or not. They would be doing a diservice to the club if they didn't field offers from other clubs...

The only way you trade Dero is if TFC were to get a minimum of 2 established players who would be a signifgicant upgrade to what we have in our starting 11 at the moment

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    ^ That's a strawman argument
    I should probably just let this go, having nothing much to do with anything really, but I can't find this Straw Man argument you refer to.

Could you point me in the right direction ?

If it's a pile of work involving much reviewing, etc. then don't waste your time - just tell me to piss off (no hard feelings).

Ta.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    TFC has to field offers for Dero regardless if they intend to trade him or not. They would be doing a diservice to the club if they didn't field offers from other clubs...

The only way you trade Dero is if TFC were to get a minimum of 2 established players who would be a signifgicant upgrade to what we have in our starting 11 at the moment
    ya, i'd agree with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post

Why would DeRo get more in a trade now than he got two years ago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wouldnt...he has little trade value at his age and salary. To be honest...that is his problem and he knows it...his only leverage is making noise and silly antics that ended up hurting him.

He has three options:
    1. get traded for nothing, go to the US, pay less in taxes and lower cost of living (if he plays in the right city)
    2. suck it up
    3. Make noise, create a buzz he might leave, make stupid gestures at games, leak stories to his buddies to create false demand, bla bla...in an effort to get more money

My guess TFC will either throw him 200K in allocation for next year, or if they decide they can only bring in one vs two additonal DPs..make him a DP for one year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't wanna be the one to actually start the thread as i have known about this for a lil while now but had to wait until someone created the thread to respond.

Mastermixer your exactly right with your comment above, the man has been the best player and showed the most heart, without him there is no offensive threat. He has seen Julian come in a get the money he is getting and not perform at the same levels DeRo has and JDG is younger, he has seen Mista come in and get paid very well for contributing nothing and fans talking about him complaining etc should take into account that he has been given the run around by the club/city he loves since he came back home.

If TFC dont give him what he feels he deserves then another club will. He only has a couple years left in his playing career and unfortunate for him he has been playing in the MLS for years when maybe the money being paid to players wasn't that high so he needs to do what is best for him and his family.
    Except he's under contract to TFC.

A contract which, by the way, required his signature.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If TFC don't give him what he feels he deserves then another club will" pretty much sums up DeRo and his supposed commitment to Toronto, for me.

The fact that JDG and Mista were/are overpaid, is IRRELEVANT. Unlike (apparently) DeRo, those two guys had agents who weren't asleep at the negotiating table, and got their clients really sweet deals that didn't supposedly rely on unwritten promises to renegotiate at a later date, and so on. They also apparently actually read their contracts before signing them.

EDIT: I see Roogsy is online. Someone start the countdown!

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 12-07-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's the Barbaresco talking, but to be fair to Dero (and Roogsy), I don't think DeRo has ever said or suggested that "If TFC doesn't give me what I deserve somebody else will."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Maybe it's the Barbaresco talking, but to be fair to Dero (and Roogsy), I don't think DeRo has ever said or suggested that "If TFC doesn't give me what I deserve somebody else will."
    I was quoting what Big Bruva said.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if that's the case, then F**K EVERYBODY!!! (sipping more Barbaresco)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think De Ro has done pretty well for himself the past few years, making up for whatever he didn't make early on in his career. He is, afterall, one of the most highly paid players in the league, making more than some younger guys who contribute a lot too. They'll get their day too.

In many ways, the early MLS "protected" players like him because it didn't have high salaries across the board (otherwise a Canadian returning from Germany probably would have been a bench player to some high priced gunslinger European). MLS was the perfect environment for De Ro to shine -- if it didn't have a cap, then he probably wouldn't have had his position.

I calculate he's made 1.51 million USD over the past four seasons. Yeah, maybe MLS didn't pay him that much in the old days, but it's not like he's been suffering. With probably a guaranteed 440K next season, he'll have made nearly $2 million in 5 seasons. That's pretty good coin for a guy, particularly in a league people like to disparage as not being as good as Europe's second divisions.

The notion that he "deserves more" is really subjective. Why does anyone get paid what they get paid? What he can get is what he deserves to be paid.
    Last edited by rocker; 12-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should make him a DP, but set the bar high for him to maintain his DP status. Ie. score x # of goals (more than he's done in years past) or get the team to at least make the playoffs!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that his own fault for choosing a profession in which he does not have long-term employment (past 35-40) and he can't compete in the best leagues? I fail to see how DeRo's pay cheques before coming to TFC should be any of our concern really? Forgive me if I don't go weep in a corner for a guy making 400k a year.

This is a silly 'Chris Bosh' type argument.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And it isn't a new complaint from his end.

Same thing happened in Houston.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    Isn't that his own fault for choosing a profession in which he does not have long-term employment (past 35-40) and he can't compete in the best leagues? I fail to see how DeRo's pay cheques before coming to TFC should be any of our concern really? Forgive me if I don't go weep in a corner for a guy making 400k a year.

This is a silly 'Chris Bosh' type argument.

Oddly enough I don't disagree. Soccer players choose their profession and really should realize that it has a limited timespan. That is actually why I work with professional athletes in making them aware of the pitfalls and dangers of their professions. You'd be surprised how many pro athletes that have earned in the millions wind up broke.

That being said, when I compare DeRo to other athletes in major sports that I have researched, his earnings are not impressive in the least. So while people shouldn't exactly weep for his salary, it isn't exactly anything to be impressed with either. MLS has built this league on the backs of underpaid players, all of them not just DeRo. My position for the past couple of years has been fairly consistent, it's time that all players in this league also begin to see the benefits of a league that has expanded exponentially. Unfortunately they have a very inept players association.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    ^ I can't understand why people seem to resent him for that. The check-signing motion was a bad move at a bad time, but if people knew about all the lies and BS that he's put up with they'd understand his frustration.

DeRo is the best player that we've ever had - there isn't even a close second to him. We would have finished dead last without him these past two years. Haters think that he's easily replaced...if Dwayne ends up in San Jose they'll realize how wrong they are.
    I don't resent the cheque signing motion and I do think DeRo is the player with the most impact on the field, I just think it was just plain unprofessional and childish on his part, Schoolboy antics at the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Oddly enough I don't disagree. Soccer players choose their profession and really should realize that it has a limited timespan. That is actually why I work with professional athletes in making them aware of the pitfalls and dangers of their professions. You'd be surprised how many pro athletes that have earned in the millions wind up broke.

That being said, when I compare DeRo to other athletes in major sports that I have researched, his earnings are not impressive in the least. So while people shouldn't exactly weep for his salary, it isn't exactly anything to be impressed with either. MLS has built this league on the backs of underpaid players, all of them not just DeRo. My position for the past couple of years has been fairly consistent, it's time that all players in this league also begin to see the benefits of a league that has expanded exponentially. Unfortunately they have a very inept players association.
    Good points all around.

IF they increased salaries league wide, wouldn't we then see that in the form of more expensive tickets, more expensive concessions, merchandise etc.? Seems kind of odd to me that we would scream for price freezes AND advocate increasing salaries all around, unless you are speaking to the owners giving up some of their existing profits...which I can't see.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it the other way around. Teams like Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto are all pricing their tickets much higher than everyone else. Teams that have entered in the last couple of years have paid a $40million franchise entry fee. There are teams now making money and spending ridiculous cash on DPs. Making the salary cap above $3million isn't a big impact on the bottom line of the teams and the league in this environment.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beware of the NASL.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is already leaning in the direction of the NASL by skirting around it's own rules and adding "DP" slots. Instead of helping all players develop and attracting better players on a wider basis by increasing the salary cap for teams, they took the quick and dirty way out and added DP slots. To be honest, a much more financially viable model would be to reduce the DP slots to 1 or 2 players but increase roster sizes and salary caps to make sure teams can attract talent, retain it and compete in all competitions such as the CCL and the Superliga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post

Barbaresco, has always been one of my favourites wine. Love the stuff.
    Last edited by trane; 12-09-2010 at 11:31 AM.