Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is a dime a doz player..100 guys like him in the league.hope im wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'll add that 8th overall really means nothing to me. I have no idea what this year's draft looks like. But 8th overall surely doesn't guarantee you a starter in the MLS. It's hit or miss really.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    By alot of the post in this thread (people looking up his wiki, or his stats, or size) seems to me like some of you didn't watch Seattle this year. And since you didn't, you are judging with no first hand knowledge of what this player is like.

He's a good player, kinda like a Cronin if you ask me. Actually, I put him slightly better then Cronin.
    Oh totally, I'll be the first to say I didn't watch Seattle -- except for when they came to town near the start of the season and we beat them.

But I have ZERO knowledge so I'm ready to take your word for it. I loved Cronin and was sad to see him go, so if this guy's comparable or better, by all means lets give him a chance.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Don't worry. Cochrane and Brennan know what they're doing.

This time its different. They are sorry.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Don't worry. Cochrane and Brennan know what they're doing.

This time its different. They are sorry.
    Go wave your cane somewhere else. You're in every thread, saying the same thing about Cochrane and Brennan. It's BORING.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Go wave your cane somewhere else. You're in every thread, saying the same thing about Cochrane and Brennan. It's BORING.
    Really? I don't think I mentioned either of them in the Leafs thread. Maybe you should check to make sure though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly, but 80% of the league are dime a dozen guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A first rounder? I thought we were rebuilding? Then again we haven't had much "luck" in the draft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea about Sturgis.

But I also have no idea about the draft eligible players. It's impossible to say that a currently unknown draft pick will be better than Sturgis.

So I'll reserve judgment.

At least Sturgis is a known quantity, relatively young, with lots of MLS experience.

But who knows really. It's gotta be all about the team now... none of this fantasy league shit about individual players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'll add that 8th overall really means nothing to me.

case in point:

MLS Draft Picks 2009, Round 1
    2009: 1, 4 - Toronto FC - O'Brian White | University of Connecticut

but he'll be scoring against us next year. I'm sure of it.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a dime a dozen player at a dime a dozen salary. At least he's not overpaid like Mo's First Wave guys were.

Every MLS squad needs some "meh" players like that to fit within the cap.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meh... they're still going to sign Ent.

But good on them to surprise us. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'll add that 8th overall really means nothing to me. I have no idea what this year's draft looks like. But 8th overall surely doesn't guarantee you a starter in the MLS. It's hit or miss really.

Unfortunately neither is Sturgis. "Career high 16 starts last year for Seattle".

I'm not pissed...but I'm not impressed either. Hardly worthy of an announcement.

He's a bit part at best. He may be a decent player but the fact that he's moved so much in such little time (every year it seems) leads me to believe that he has never been in anyone's long term plans.

Except our of course...lol

"He is a player who will be able to make an immediate impact in our team next season, but is also young enough to play a role here in the long term."

The guy has been passed around from team to team and started less than half the games last year (career high) but now our interim GM has classified him as an immediate impact player and a long term player too.

Jokes.

Usually I'd say I'll reserve judgement until I see him more but at first glance....this is not all that promising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow as hell though. Good passer, decent lobs into the box.
    He's basically another LaBrocca type player. Better in some thtings, not as good in others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a good player, kinda like a Cronin if you ask me. Actually, I put him slightly better then Cronin.
    I agree. You know what you are getting with Sturgis.
    Unless you have the top spots at the draft, it's kind of a crap shoot - some are ready for MLS and some are not. Plus all our $$$ is tied up in JDG

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Great, another guy who doesn't know that the real role of a midfielder is.
    Ok take it this way. Unless we are planning on getting rid of JDG we need attacking mid fielders, to play behind the strikers and provide passes, play makers or we need wingers. Yes mid fielders don't just score goals but if he is a winger or attacking mid or even a classic central midfielder he should more than one goal in 4 seasons. His only goal came from a penalty!!

Add to that he has played less than half the games in any season for any of the three MLS teams he played for over the past 5 seasons it looks like we traded a decent draft position for a journeyman bench player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Unfortunately neither is Sturgis. "Career high 16 starts last year for Seattle".

I'm not pissed...but I'm not impressed either. Hardly worthy of an announcement.

He's a bit part at best. He may be a decent player but the fact that he's moved so much in such little time (every year it seems) leads me to believe that he has never been in anyone's long term plans.

Except our of course...lol

"He is a player who will be able to make an immediate impact in our team next season, but is also young enough to play a role here in the long term."

The guy has been passed around from team to team and started less than half the games last year (career high) but now our interim GM has classified him as an immediate impact player and a long term player too.

Jokes.

Usually I'd say I'll reserve judgement until I see him more but at first glance....this is not all that promising.
    Once again, a whole bunch of "I've never seen this guy play" but I'll make judgement anyways. So really, your opinion has no weight in my books.

Just for fun, I went back through the draft for #8 spot, starting with 2005, here is the list

Jason Hernandez
    Patrick Ianni
    Jerson Monteiro
    Josh Lambo
    Matt Besler
    Dilly Duka

I mean really. It's a crap shoot what you'll get in that draft anyways. The guy comes cheap, and Seattle turned him into a starter in the middle of the park with Alonzo. It's really a decent deal if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe earl got got some advice from mo on this one.
    i know mo had a hard on for sturgis when he was in LA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just saw the tfc website and.. OH GOD THIS IS A BAD PICTURE OF EARL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill reserve judgement either way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 1st rounder seems like a steep price to pay for an unproven midfielder but I'll reserve judgement until I see him play first hand.

I have no issues with Cochrane and Co. clearing out roster/cap space but I must say I find these types of moves perplexing considering that the next GM hasn't even been identified yet. It's only my opinion but I doubt Klinsmann had anything to do with this transaction whatsoever which indicates to me that Cochrane and Brennan are firmly in charge.

I wonder how much of the roster will be finalized by the time a new GM is hired? Should we be asking if a new GM will be hired at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

It's not like TFC held a big press conference or anything... They teased it on Twitter 15 minutes before "the announcement" and then made a simple post on their website. Are they just going to secretly put him in the roster without saying where our first round pick went?
    Clearly he isn't meant to be (or isn't being presented as) the answer to all of our problems. Let's put things into a bit of perspective...

Management doesn't see many options in the draft and have decided to use the pick towards getting a young player who can be placed into the line-up now, or play off of the bench.

Not a huge signing, just a utility player. I have no problem with that. Carry on!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    case in point:

MLS Draft Picks 2009, Round 1
    2009: 1, 4 - Toronto FC - O'Brian White | University of Connecticut

but he'll be scoring against us next year. I'm sure of it.
    Stephan Frei was picked 13th. The MLS Draft is a crap shoot but you have to have be in the game to get a shot at it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he is a winger (again, i'm talking with no experience here), there's the very real possibility that we're going to be a playing a 4-4-1-1 next year.

defensive four
    two wingers (this kid and lindsay)
    two mid wingers (JDG and dero?)
    a servicing CF (barrett or dero?)
    and a striker

ladies and gentlemen, may i introduce to you our new formation.. THE TORONTO FC BIRD OF PREY!!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This news is kinda "meh" in all honesty. Nothing about his record blows me away, though I'll concede he seemed to fit in well with the Sounders. He's a defensive mid, so let's not get too hung about about his goal count.

Not really disappointed because I've seen and heard so little from him, but not blown away either for the same reasons.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    if he is a winger (again, i'm talking with no experience here), there's the very real possibility that we're going to be a playing a 4-4-1-1.

defensive four
    two wingers (this kid and lindsay)
    two mid wingers (JDG and dero?)
    a servicing CF (barrett or dero?)
    and a striker

ladies and gentlemen, may i introduce to you our new formation.. THE TORONTO FC BIRD OF PREY!!

I personally don't see him as a winger. That's not where he played with Seattle. I would see him taking Saric's role and playing along side De Guzman in the middle of the park. He was playing alongside Alonzo last year and I thought they were both great together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't a sexy signing, it's a common sense signing, which is something TFC has been short on in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again, a whole bunch of "I've never seen this guy play" but I'll make judgement anyways. So really, your opinion has no weight in my books.

Fair enough...except for the fact that I'm sure I've seen him play. Just never really noticed him.

You've somehow deduced that he's a decent player having seen him play but also seem to ignore the facts that:

a) nobody has wanted this guy for more than a season
    b) nobody has seen fit to make him a starter for more than 16 games in a season
    c) the guy was exposed in the expansion draft....taken by an expansion team and immediately traded.

How can these things add up to a guy that we should believe is going to be a good addition to this team in the long run?

Because Earl Cochrane says so?

No thanks. Like I said (and you pointed out)....I doubt we'll miss the pick all that much but at the same time...we are NOT getting a really good player.

We're getting a player that will likely be playing somewhere else in 2012...if history is any indicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoked View Post
    A first rounder? I thought we were rebuilding? Then again we haven't had much "luck" in the draft
    We got a relatively cheap player with 5 years experience in the league and is still under 25 years of age. You'd rather have a mystery bag?

The MLS draft is not like the NFL, NBA or NHL. It isn't the only way to bring in talent. Good on the kids for going to college and all but I'd rather see TFC develop their own talent through the academy than putting their future to chance.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Stephan Frei was picked 13th. The MLS Draft is a crap shoot but you have to have be in the game to get a shot at it.

and it was a lucky fluke that Frei wasn't gone before that. I know everyone was floored that he was still an option.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\