Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    The unprotected players I noticed:

Carl Robinson - He would make a good first captain for an expansion team. Yes he is getting long in the tooth but still a good signing.

Greg Sutton - Also long in the tooth but still a strong shot stopper.

Frankie Hejduk and Guillermo Barros Schelotto - They were the basis of the Crew's cup win 2 years ago.

Jeff Cunningham - Way to add insult to injury after Sunday. Still a good striker for an expansions team. Also another way to fuel the rivalry with Vancouver.
    Carl Robinson was sitting on a 4 year $300,000 + guaranteed salary since 2007. TFC actually paid $200,000 + of his salary this past season. At that price point he was one of the biggest flops in all of MoJo's tenure. Before Robinson supporters take issue, I realize he was a classy guy and good leader but was overpaid by MLS standards. No one will touch him in the expansion draft.

That said TFC has cleared $200,000 off their books for 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=rocker;1170543]What's happened to Jonathan Bornstein? Is he leaving too so they decided to leave him open? I thought he was a decent player; even got callups to the USMNT.

quote]

Bornstein announced he had signed with Tigres in Mexico several months ago for 2011.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    agrreeeed

I thought this too.

but i dont believe he will be picked
    I really gotta seriously disagree with you guys, he did begin to look better but overall was a disaster on the field, he had no first touch and his passing 80% of the time was horrific, i dont see him getting picked and i see us dropping him (for someone more useful).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post

That said TFC has cleared $200,000 off their books for 2011.
    dont forget we had a ton of allocations, should be interesting to see how much we have when all is said and done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I really gotta seriously disagree with you guys, he did begin to look better but overall was a disaster on the field, he had no first touch and his passing 80% of the time was horrific, i dont see him getting picked and i see us dropping him (for someone more useful).
    +1
    Sometimes it feels like people saw a different person on the field than I did!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    Im not shocked at Nane but shocked at Sanyang being on there.
    Not really in my mind - Sanyang (along with Gomez) were signed on two year deals before the 2009 season. They are currently out of contract unless a new one has been signed and we haven't been told yet.

To me the bigger surprise is that Gomez is protected given this status. However, upon further reflection, he was one of the breakout players in 2009. He had a bad knee injury so if I were manager, I'd offer an extra year, see if he can regain his good form. Perhaps something similar is going on?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Chad is from Portland and would love to be moved there for that reason, it's a bit of clever business to dangle his expensive contract out there! Earl is to be commended.

Same thing with JDG. A great player but in the wrong league, he is overpriced for what he can do in MLS. You never know, Vancouver might take a flyer on him. It's very interesting that JDG is on the list, it means that he doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract (which would make protecting him mandatory).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, here's how I see it:

Barrett, Chad: The one real risk of being picked. He makes 212K (or some people saying it's now 300K?) but can be counted on for 10 goals and I saw massive (and that's probably under-selling it) improvement from him in 2010.
    de Guzman, Julian: Unprotected because no one would pay him what TFC pays. Secretly, I'm sure there's at least one person in TFC management who hopes someone is a sucker.
    Gala, Gabe: I would have said Vancouver might pick him because of his decent skill, very low price and Canadian status, but that last criterion no longer applies. I'd be surprised if he were picked - lightly disappointed too.
    Garcia, Nick: I never thought I'd say this, but I'm 50/50. Really depends on which Nick Garcia is on this list. Regardless, he makes 190K and that's way too much. I'd be happy to have him gone, even his not disastrous alter ego.
    Hscanovics, Raivis: Please take him!
    Ibrahim, Fuad: Would be disappointed to see him leave. Promising youngster who we will know more about when he plays in the reserve league.
    Kocic, Milos (GK): Liable to be taken as an intended backup/understudy to amore veteran guy. The other real risk aside from Barrett.
    Martinez, Miguel Angel Ferrer: Out of contract anyway, and he wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
    Nane, Joseph: Not the most talented guy but he did have some good displays I wouldn't expect from a fourth round pick. Also had some lesser games which is to be expected. Like Gala, I'd be somewhat disappointed were he picked because you need this type of lowly paid, decent-and-can-fill-a-role-temporarily type of guys.
    Sanyang, Amadou: Out of contract and has a concussion. Probably on here because he still hasn't fully recovered and TFC is betting that no one will want to take the chance that he'll never recover.
    Saric, Martin: Don't really know what to say here - decent player, decent price. I'd imagine he'd be replaceable if picked. Probably the exact reason why he won't be either - you can find many.
    Usanov, Maxim: Like Saric, I'm mixed. He had some good games and some bad ones. Probably a decent/good backup option at RB but probably not for 100K which is why I'd be surprised if he were picked. He may also be out of contract.
    White, O’Brian: I wish I could say he'll develop but he's 24. I think this is probably the clumsiest-looking player we've ever had. Is on a retarded amount of money (170K or something). I think it's GA money, but who knows? Can't see him being chosen. We're stuck with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just going through this thread now and I gotta say I agree with the posters saying if we lose Barrett that he's going to be the next TFC player to leave and starting to perform. If you look at this performance in 2009 and 2010 it looks to me like he's starting to find his place here (despite the injury this season). He's the one player on the list I'd actually be disappointed if we lost.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a verifiable list of when players' contracts expire? I am hoping that Nick Garcia is out of contract now and we'll never have to suffer him again. Same goes for Robbo's contract - are we now definitely shot of the $200k we had to pay him to play for the Shite Bulls as everyone seems to think we are?

Would be very interested to see a list of TFC player contract expiry dates.

In terms of expansion draft, I hope the shitecaps take JDG just so we can re-build without him on the books bagging down the salary cap hit. After that I'd like to see another expensive waste of cap space get taken - hscanovics, usanov (what the fuck were people thinking signing those guys to those contracts?!), OBW, and ibrahim would be my top four wasted salary spots. Hopefully we'll get lucky and trade away those guys if they are not picked in the expansion draft!

And yeah, would like to see us keep Barrett, he's getting better, hustles the shit out fo teams and plays with commitment and passion, is versatile for a forward and provides a good alternative to a more silky forward that might get knocked off the ball. If his salary is 212k then I say definitely keep him and hope he doesn't get nabbed in the draft.

Ideal scenario - shitecaps take JDG, we get to protect one more player (Chad) and then OBW/hscanovics/usanov get taken as our second expansion loss.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 11-23-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibby was a GA until now, so no salary counted, as a result im certain we can renegotiate (successfully) for this just turned 18 year old developing kid, give him a year at 40K, if he doesnt do well, rid of him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have mixed feelings regarding the decision to expose Barrett. I firmly believe his best years are still ahead of him. Unfortunately, his production has not justified his excessive salary despite his marked improvement last season. Barrett has also been prone to injury throughout his tenure with TFC.

Nonetheless, I feel the more prudent decision would have been to protect him given our lack of depth at the striker position. In the event that a superior striker is acquired Barrett could always be traded for assets in the future. I agree with the notion that if Chad goes it will be a case of yet another departed striker finding his form elsewhere...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Same thing with JDG. A great player but in the wrong league, he is overpriced for what he can do in MLS. You never know, Vancouver might take a flyer on him. It's very interesting that JDG is on the list, it means that he doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract (which would make protecting him mandatory).
    No way Vancouver takes a $3m flyer.

It doesn't matter that JDG doesn't have a no trade clause either because no one in their right minds would trade anything valuable for a DP DM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first post update with wage info.
    im also calling it, barrett and onstad to portland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u look at the unprotected list, i wouldnt be surprised if TFC keeps all their players.

theres a lot better players out there than what we are offering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I have mixed feelings regarding the decision to expose Barrett. I firmly believe his best years are still ahead of him. Unfortunately, his production has not justified his excessive salary despite his marked improvement last season. Barrett has also been prone to injury throughout his tenure with TFC.

Nonetheless, I feel the more prudent decision would have been to protect him given our lack of depth at the striker position. In the event that a superior striker is acquired Barrett could always be traded for assets in the future. I agree with the notion that if Chad goes it will be a case of yet another departed striker finding his form elsewhere...
    Completely agree with this post. This is exactly how I feel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG does have a no trade clause. so unless he waived it to the tune of an MLSE suit walking up to him and saying "listen, no one's going to pick you up for your salary which is half of the league cap unless they plan on making you a DP there. you won't get paid any less and we can protect someone else. throw us a bone".

if that's the case, class act on putting his arse on the line during tribal council so we could save someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    JDG does have a no trade clause. so unless he waived it to the tune of an MLSE suit walking up to him and saying "listen, no one's going to pick you up for your salary which is half of the league cap unless they plan on making you a DP there. you won't get paid any less and we can protect someone else. throw us a bone".

if that's the case, class act on putting his arse on the line during tribal council so we could save someone else.
    LMAO

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    first post update with wage info.
    im also calling it, barrett and onstad to portland.
    onstad will retire a dynamo, lol if vancouver drop their pick on a 52 year old goalkeeper

e: holy shit i glazed when i saw onstad why would an american team need him that is even more absurd

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    onstad will retire a dynamo, lol if vancouver drop their pick on a 52 year old goalkeeper

e: holy shit i glazed when i saw onstad why would an american team need him that is even more absurd
    I'm sure there's some old 86ers fans that would love to see him come home.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm sure there's some old 86ers fans that would love to see him come home.
    oldest player in the MLS? yup.
    getting picked in the draft? probably not.
    retiring in vancouver instead of houston? hell yes.

you have a man with wealth of experience, who even in the first seasons would be able to command a magnificent back line, and you're telling me that the vancouver native would retire in houston? i understand he's 42, but he's got at least 2 more plausible years left in him. afterwards he's your goalkeeping coach with all the MLS action he's seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Chad stays. I like him.....JDG on the other hand can go and Do One.....
    Waste of time, space and money.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just for fun, don't look too deeply at our protected list and assume it equals a line up for 2011.

The 2009 PROTECTED Players from Toronto FC were:

Attakora-Gyan, Nana
    Barrett, Chad
    Brennan, Jim
    Cronin, Sam
    de Guzman, Julian
    DeRosario, Dwayne
    Gomez, Emmanuel
    Sanyang, Amadou
    Serioux, Adrian
    White, O'Brian
    Wynne, Marvell

3 of 'em were traded and 1 retired.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Just for fun, don't look too deeply at our protected list and assume it equals a line up for 2011.
    Well, "Trader Mo" is gone, so hopefully we won't have more turnover than is necessary.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    3 of 'em were traded and 1 retired.
    interesting indeed. we also didnt lose anyone in that draft, but its odd to see who FO puts their faith in.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The UNPROTECTED list from '09 is even more interesting:

Edwards, Brian
    Fellinga, Lesly
    Garcia, Nick
    Gerba, Ali
    Guevara, Amado
    Robinson, Carl
    Vitti, Pablo
    Gala, Gabe

... only 2 came back.

Interstingly, the NYRBs left Robinson unprotected again this year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt anyone will pick De Gúzman. Here's hoping though ...
    ˇVamos Celta!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    I hope Chad stays. I like him.....JDG on the other hand can go and Do One.....
    Waste of time, space and money.
    I agree. Chad at least looks like he cares. Can't say the same for De Poopman.
    ˇVamos Celta!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    De Poopman

I know it's childish and degrading to our DP, but my god that's funny!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So - anyone got any scoops on TFC player contract lengths and when they are set to expire? Does the league make this info available?