Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    It's possible... but those two actually scored somewhere legitimate before they got to TFC... At least casey had 14 goals in 30 games for a team in germany, and Buddle had scored a lot before.

White's claim to fame is his second last college year.

But if Wondolowski can be a nobody with Houston and then be a league leading scorer with San Jose, perhaps it's about the way the player is used.

This league is about service Buddle plays with Becks, Donovan no problem scoring/ Casey plays with Cummings and their midfield gives them above average service.

The best example outside of Buddle is Wondolowski he scored the majority of his goals the moment Geovanni came on board... You need service in any league, in this league especially you need it as the majority of the strikers can do it on their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    I think it helps with toronto negotiating his salary by not getting picked up - makes a statement
    I hope so. He is way overpaid!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If OBW starts scoring bundles for Vancouver, I'm going to be royally pissed.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    If OBW starts scoring bundles for Vancouver, I'm going to be royally pissed.
    Not to pick on your post in particular, but on this general sentiment - I really don't get this perspective. Even if White does really well in Vancouver, there is no guarantee that he would have also done well for us. Sometimes, athletes just need a different environment (see Donovan at Munich v Everton).

Also, in a salary capped league, White is earning too much to take a gamble in my opinion. Someone brought up Wondolowski - his salary is half of White's.

I wish White well in the future (just not against us)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Also, in a salary capped league, White is earning too much to take a gamble in my opinion. Someone brought up Wondolowski - his salary is half of White's.
    Yeah, he makes too much. But if he actually produced 10 goals, he'd probably be paid just right.

Wondo produced first, on a low salary, and now will get a renegotiated contract probably worth much more than White. But at least he earned it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dax McCarty shipped to DC.

Washington, D.C. – D.C. United announced today that the club has acquired midfielder Dax McCarty. United sends defender Rodney Wallace and the lower of its two fourth round selections in the 2011 SuperDraft to Portland in exchange for McCarty and allocation money. Portland selected the former FC Dallas player in today’s Expansion Draft with the first pick. Both Portland Timbers and Vancouver WhitecapsFC participated in today’s draft, as the two clubs will join Major League Soccer in 2011 as expansion sides.
    “Dax McCarty is one of our league’s top midfielders, and we are pleased to welcome him to D.C. United,” said General Manager Dave Kasper. “Dax has proven his abilities within MLS and we look forward to having him here in Washington.”

McCarty comes to United from FC Dallas, where he helped lead the Western Conference side to the 2010 MLS Cup Final against Colorado. The 23-year-old played in 21 MLS regular season matches for Dallas in 2010 (18 starts), registering one goal and two assists. During Dallas’ MLS Cup run, McCarty scored his first postseason goal in a 1-1 draw in the second leg of the Western Conference Semifinals at Real Salt Lake. In 2009 McCarty appeared in 28 MLS games (27 starts), scoring a career-best three goals to accompany six assists. Since joining FC Dallas in 2006, McCarty has featured in 93 regular season games (71 starts), recording five goals and 17 assists in that time.
    The Winter Park, Florida native played two seasons at the University of North Carolina before being selected sixth overall in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft by FC Dallas. He made his MLS debut on July 1 at Chivas USA, coming on as a substitute in the 85th minute of a 3-0 loss for FC Dallas. Since that time McCarty not only asserted himself into Dallas’ lineup, but he also earned a place in the U.S. Men’s National Team system.

A regular member of the U.S. U-20’s, he appeared in all five games for his country in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2007. McCarty was a member of the U.S. Olympic Team that participated in the 2008 Beijing Games, featuring in the team’s final match against Nigeria. On November 14, 2009, McCarty earned his first senior cap with the National Team in a friendly at Slovakia. Four days later he earned a second cap against Denmark. In 2010 McCarty was called into two of Bob Bradley’s National Team camps in advance of friendly matches in January and February.

Rodney Wallace departs United after two full seasons in Washington. In 39 regular season matches (36 starts), the defender registered three goals and five assists. Wallace was selected sixth overall in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft from the University of Maryland. This season the Costa Rican missed much of the campaign after fracturing his left fibula on June 5 against Real Salt Lake. Prior to this injury, Wallace started all 11 matches that he played at leftback.

“I’d like to thank Rodney for his services at D.C. United,” said Kasper. “He has been a big part of our team over the past two seasons, but in a situation like this we must give up something of value in order to gain something of value. We wish Rodney nothing but the best moving forward as he embarks on a new phase of his career.”
    In addition to Wallace, Portland receives the lower of United’s two fourth round 2011 MLS SuperDraft selections. The exact position of this draft choice will be determined prior to the SuperDraft on January 13 in Baltimore, Md. United currently has the third pick overall in the Draft, along with a second round selection and the remaining fourth round choice.

Name: Dax McCarty
    Position: Midfielder
    Height: 5’7”
    Weight: 152
    Jersey: TBD
    Date of Birth: April 30, 1987
    Place of Birth: Winter Park, Florida
    Citizenship: United States
    Last Club: FC Dallas
    Acquired: Signed on November 24, 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some thoughts.

O'Brian White, can he become the Ali Gerba of Montreal for Vancouver? Maybe. Think of the strikers that have left Toronto to go on and do well. Jeff Cunningham, Conor Casey, Edson Buddle. Maybe its a chance Vancouver was willing to take?

Why did Portland take Jonathan Bornstein and Robbie Findley?

From what I heard and understand is that you have the rights to a player for two years after they have left the league. If the player is a US National team player; someone said something about holding their rights forever...thats a rule I'd have to check into.

I would have liked to see Vancouver take Jimmy Conrad...imagine him and Jay DeMerit holding down the centre...that would be sick!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Some thoughts.

O'Brian White, can he become the Ali Gerba of Montreal for Vancouver?
    Well I don't think so.... Unlike Gerba, OBW will be playing in a much tougher league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, if an out of contract player is made a "bona fide" offer made by the team they are leaving, that team holds right of first refusal in perpetuity...or words to that effect...Will Johnson/Chicago Fire, for example.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    United sends defender Rodney Wallace and the lower of its two fourth round selections in the 2011 SuperDraft to Portland in exchange for McCarty and allocation money.
    with teams starting to build their academies and the reserve league coming into play, trades like this are going to be more valuable. i've not noticed a whole lot about DC's back line? is he going to be kept there or are they going to try and day-trade him again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxygenatedbrain View Post
    No, if an out of contract player is made a "bona fide" offer made by the team they are leaving, that team holds right of first refusal in perpetuity...or words to that effect...Will Johnson/Chicago Fire, for example.
    That was in the old CBA.. I wonder if the new CBA has new rules on this, since the whole notion of rights forever was a hot topic of those negotiations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know we always talk about players that have left TFC and have gone on to be better players.

we dont really talk about the losers that have left that have still been crap.

Welsh, Braz, Reda etc.

im sure there were more players that left that are still crap than ones that got better

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but that's explanation issued to those superknowledgeable guys on the MLS broadcast who couldn't make sense of the Bornstein pick...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland have traded Arturo Alvarez to RSL for a 2nd round pick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland trades Anthony Wallace back to the Rapids for allocation cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you see this info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    Where do you see this info?
    Got it from another forum, from the Portland supporters spokesperson. Trust me he is never wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver trades Moreno and Gordon to Chivas USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The McCarty for Wallace trade is a bit odd. I think that those guys have roughly the same value, the 4th rounder going to Portland has no value so I'm not sure why they'd give up allocation money too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver trade Alan Gordon and Alejando Moreno to Chivas for allocation cash and an international spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently "Sounders FC get O'Brian White from Vancouver for allocation $. Sanna Nyassi has been traded to the Colorado Rapids for int'l roster spot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    Got it from another forum, from the Portland supporters spokesperson. Trust me he is never wrong
    Hi, Standard Liege!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Spencer is building Portland like another Scot who was once in charge of an expansion club in MLS

(1) Portland announced 4 USL Players seveal weeks ago ...Toronto announced Reda, Pozniak, Braz + Sutton

(2) Expansion Draft Day - Draft to Trade Strategy

All I can say is Heaven Help them and their great supporters if they are following TFC's model !!!!
    Last edited by BASE; 11-24-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Jeff View Post
    Hi, Standard Liege!
    Umm sorry? Am I supposed to know you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    The McCarty for Wallace trade is a bit odd. I think that those guys have roughly the same value, the 4th rounder going to Portland has no value so I'm not sure why they'd give up allocation money too.
    I am also a bit confused on this one. I would rate McCarty over Wallace and the don;t understand the need to include the allocation money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    Apparently "Sounders FC get O'Brian White from Vancouver for allocation $.
    Great trade by Vancouver. It's like trading a bag of soccer balls for a bag of cash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so Long OBW.
    Christmas came early for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    Great trade by Vancouver. It's like trading a bag of soccer balls for a bag of cash.
    it's funny because it's true!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    I am also a bit confused on this one. I would rate McCarty over Wallace and the don;t understand the need to include the allocation money.
    Join the club.

McCarthy's a year older and a far better player. DC gets the top player. Pair him up with Najar and DCU's midfield just got a whole lot more mobile, smarter, and quicker.

Maybe the allocation money (40K) is the difference in salary between McCarthy (165K) & Wallace (124k). - I have no idea what the allocation amount was, just speculating on the 40K.

Did cerberus know that McCarthy was in play?