Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/oth.../16194361.html

Toronto will be lucky to draw 21,000; obviously stadium size is part of that equation, but so is pricing.
    Beirne says the tickets are priced fairly. TFC claims its pricing is in-line with the prices of the Toronto entertainment scene — simply because we’re Toronto, it’s going to cost more.
    This is brutal. I'm looking forward to going to this game for some strange reason but now I'm starting to question going at all.

In line with the prices of the Toronto entertainment scene?????

Really? The TFC FO just doesn't get it. Fucking idiots.

As for Cann being named MVP...I agree. Good for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beirne says the tickets are priced fairly. TFC claims its pricing is in-line with the prices of the Toronto entertainment scene — simply because we’re Toronto, it’s going to cost more.
    Essentially admitting that there isn't any sort of free-market competition for entertainment dollars, but rather a conspiracy of collusion to rip everyone off.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep saying this, Paul Beirne is not your friend. Just because he talks to you and is nice to you in person doesn't mean he isn't trying to simultaneously fuck you over.

Its disingenuous for him to say the tickets are fairly priced. If that were the case people wouldn't be dumping them on stubhub, craigslist, kijiji and even the fan forums for below face value.

What a prick.

Way to fuck your own fans over. Force them to buy something they don't want and turn them into part time scalpers. Just so you can brag about a fake sell out. Congratulations. You are a business genius. You should win an award.

I do find it interesting that Beirne and Anselmi have moved away from using supply and demand as an excuse. They now try to pass the pricing on as fair.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Your comments continue to paint them as villains instead of out of touch. They've actually admitted as much that they expected people to be ecstatic the final was in the package and you know what? Why wouldn't they? I'd like to point out that if we as a united set of supporters protested when the decision for the cup coming here was being made then this wouldn't have happened. I take some of the onus on myself because I had no idea what was involved in hosting the cup or how past finals have been sold to MLS fans.

And the indignation is justified at the packaging but we can't be surprised. At least they were packaging the same sport this time and not forcing us to go to the calder cup or something.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-18-2010 at 08:08 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I keep saying this, Paul Beirne is not your friend. Just because he talks to you and is nice to you in person doesn't mean he isn't trying to simultaneously fuck you over.

Its disingenuous for him to say the tickets are fairly priced. If that were the case people wouldn't be dumping them on stubhub, craigslist, kijiji and even the fan forums for below face value.

What a prick.

Way to fuck your own fans over. Force them to buy something they don't want and turn them into part time scalpers. Just so you can brag about a fake sell out. Congratulations. You are a business genius. You should win an award.

I do find it interesting that Beirne and Anselmi have moved away from using supply and demand as an excuse. They now try to pass the pricing on as fair.
    I share a lot of your anger and frustration, but its not personal. Paul isn't a dick, Paul's been hired to do a job that comes with a certain level of expectation/responsibility from his boses. Often that puts his goals and aims at odds with ours. Of course those conflicts are disappointing (I'm sure to both sides), but they aren't personal. Mutual respect - especially when we disagree - is key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    And the indignation is justified at the packaging but we can't be surprised. At least they were packaging the same sport this time and not forcing us to go to the calder cup or something.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give them ideas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Essentially admitting that there isn't any sort of free-market competition for entertainment dollars, but rather a conspiracy of collusion to rip everyone off.
    It's funny how they don't even try to claim the high costs of staging a championship game or anything else, they just say, "This is the most we think we can charge."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a prick.

MLSE has def strained the relationship with its fans. It's like we have an abusive father with MLSE, and us as the fans are growing up to be bitter and moody pricks lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mornin'

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    MLSE has def strained the relationship with its fans. It's like we have an abusive father with MLSE, and us as the fans are growing up to be bitter and moody pricks lol.
    If MLSE is the abusive father we're the middle kid that actually opens our gob to say no. The big kid in the family whines but is never heard.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mentioned in another thread:

Garber, MLS board to consider changes to postseason format
    When the MLS board meets this weekend, among the issues it will discuss is the venue of the MLS Cup and the format of the playoffs, perhaps introducing a single-table format that's used in Europe, MLS Commissioner Don Garber said Tuesday.

MLS will consider awarding the highest-seeded team the right to host the final. The number of teams qualifying for the playoffs might increase from the current field of eight, Garber said.
    This is the second consecutive season two Western Conference teams have met in the final. Because the MLS Cup has gone to neutral sites, only one champion has won a title in front of its home crowd in MLS' 15-year history —D.C. United in 1997.
    Garber weighed the benefits of a neutral-site championship, noting that bringing the U.S. and Canadian soccer communities together this week helps the sport's development.
    "It would be great to see local fans celebrating a championship in their home market. ... But we've got to decide whether or not we can deliver on that. Will we have enough time to sell tickets? What do we do in a situation where the weather was horrible? I believe at some point we'll be ready."
    With the league adding two teams in the West next year (Vancouver and the Portland Timbers), Garber said the board would consider eliminating conferences. With expansion to Montreal in 2012 and possibly a second team in the New York area in line for 2013, Garber said it was possible there would be temporary fixes to the playoff format.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...f-format_N.htm

The final going to the highest-seeded would avoid a situation like ours, where the hosting city isn't even in the playoffs, and gives an additional boost to the Supporters' Shield winner.

Single table would be excellent.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the lesson MLSE is learning? Don't host MLS CUP unless you are 100% sure Toronto is going to be playing in it and charge very little money for tickets and hope as hell stadium is full by game day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its amazing how many people kiss Paul's ass or play nice with him whenever he makes a comment on the board here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Beirne isn't a prick. But that doesn't change the fact that their pricing model is simply wrong. They cannot price a minor sport inline with the major ones in the city. Hockey and basketball are big North American sports, football is not. Fair pricing would include yearly increases to cover inflation and increased investment, be it in players, scouting etc. Well, players' wages are capped and the club has admitted that there is no scouting network in place.

This is not fair pricing, this is price gouging.

The only question is whether or not you're willing to put up with it, and that's a personal decision.

On happier notes: I like the single table decision. Awarding the cup final based on merit makes quite a bit of sense. After all, the league will likely have some egg on its face come Sunday evening. They want to avoid that in future if possible.
    Last edited by koryo; 11-18-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im 100% sure that there MLSE employees on this forum.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Its amazing how many people kiss Paul's ass or play nice with him whenever he makes a comment on the board here.
    the vast majority talk smack about him from behind the anoymous safety of their computers. I'm pretty sure his phone number is listed on the TFC website for anyone to use. Yes there are some people who kiss ass, but it's a very small number compared to the number of people who say negative things about him.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    the vast majority talk smack about him from behind the anoymous safety of their computers. I'm pretty sure his phone number is listed on the TFC website for anyone to use. Yes there are some people who kiss ass, but it's a very small number compared to the number of people who say negative things about him.
    Really? This is a discussion forum. I think we are allowed to discuss how crappy the idiots like Paul Beirne and Tom Anselmi are running the team.

So I'm suppose to call him and tell him he doesn't know the meaning of supply and demand and that he is doing a shit job running the team? That's really going to work. I'm sure my phone call will straighten him out.

Or maybe I should call Beirne and Anselmi and asked them if they need tickets for Sunday?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? This is a discussion forum. I think we are allowed to discuss how crappy the idiots like Paul Beirne and Tom Anselmi are running the team.
    and this just proves my point -- the majority of people on here are not kissing ass like Globetrotter suggested. Thanks for helping out.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and this just proves my point -- the majority of people on here are not kissing ass like Globetrotter suggested. Thanks for helping out.
    They still have a lot of defenders, including yourself.

Of course, there was probably a lot more ass-kissing in the past. But then some people actually realized how fake guys like Beirne ended up being. People can only be tricked by salesman like Beirne for so long. Eventually they realize its all just a ploy.

Notice how much more the guy use to post here or on other forums? There's a reason he lays low now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed. the issue is that there's no 'centrist' perspective on it (at least not much online).

Like with anything else, there have been some mistakes on their part, and some successes. Many of their 'defenders' are just pointing out that it's not a 0/10 situation. I don't think anyone would say they are doing a 10/10 job with things (because they aren't) but it's very hard to give credit when it is due without sounding like an ass-kisser. Hell, sometimes they do things right (like the free party last night with free food and drinks for everyone). Sometimes they fuck things up badly (including the MLS cup tickets). It's all shades of gray, but people are very quick to call it a black-or-white situation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notice how much more the guy use to post here or on other forums? There's a reason he lays low now.
    would you go back to a place where dozens of people were calling you a cunt, fucker, retard etc etc etc?

I wouldn't.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post

Of course, there was probably a lot more ass-kissing in the past. But then some people actually realized how fake guys like Beirne ended up being. People can only be tricked by salesman like Beirne for so long. Eventually they realize its all just a ploy.

Where are these champion defenders of all MLSE do? You seem to be attacking anything that's not completely negative. That's pretty one-sided. Not really a weighted discussion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would you go back to a place where dozens of people were calling you a cunt, fucker, retard etc etc etc?

I wouldn't.
    I probably wouldn't. But I might start to ask myself why this is happening.

I call Beirne and Anselmi idiots and arrogant for a reason. Because I think they did an absolute shit job handling the MLS Cup and the 2011 season tickets.

I also think people give them too much credit for the success of this team. I still contend they were more lucky than smart. They capitalized on a latent soccer support in this city. If anything, they actually did a poor job because they had 4 years to push this club further and they failed miserably.

But they are sorry, so its okay now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I call Beirne and Anselmi idiots and arrogant for a reason. Because I think they did an absolute shit job handling the MLS Cup and the 2011 season tickets.

I also think people give them too much credit for the success of this team. I still contend they were more lucky than smart. They capitalized on a latent soccer support in this city. If anything, they actually did a poor job because they had 4 years to push this club further and they failed miserably.

They should both be fired for these reasons. In any other industry they would be replaced. That's my perspective

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Renewal rates are 90%. Why should they give a shit?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What people are you talking to? I haven't met with a single person who have ever credit them for the clubs success. You must run with a different crowd. A crowd you must disagree with often. And it's not "okay" now. It's a stay of execution as they bring in change. If that change fails then one of them is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you 100%, and I think just about every other fan does as well...but its all a matter of perspective. We're furious, but the MLSE bean counters couldn't be more happy. At the end of the day, the tickets are sold (season tickets, MLS tickets) and until their mistreatment effects their bottom line nothing will change.

Their approach of treating us like shit and squeezing every dollar out of us will come back to haunt them one day, but until that day comes they're going to keep doing it. Its short sighted and stupid on their part, but they seem happy to roll in the money now and deal with the consequences later.

Whats disappointing for me is that at least on some level they seemed to 'get it' after the town hall meetings, but so far we've seen a lot of business as usual. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and recognize that they couldn't change plans that were already in place, but in terms of moving forward this team is on a very, very, very short leash as far as I'm concerned. One or two kind guestures to make up for past sins doesn't square things - only changing the way this club opperates will do that. I'm willing to give them that opportunity. If they let me down I'll be gone for good and there will be thousands of people doing the same.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Renewal rates are 90%. Why should they give a shit?
    They should give a shit.

By the way, the renewal rate was in the low 80% range, according to Paul Beirne. And they reached that number after reducing the cost of the package 2 times, extending the deadline 2 times, holding town hall meetings and apologizing to the fan base. Imagine what it might have been had they stuck to their guns?

Than there is the waiting list. We have heard from people who joined the list 3 weeks ago being offered seasons.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should give a shit.

By the way, the renewal rate was in the low 80% range, according to Paul Beirne. And they reached that number after reducing the cost of the package 2 times, extending the deadline 2 times, holding town hall meetings and apologizing to the fan base. Imagine what it might have been had they stuck to their guns?

Than there is the waiting list. We have heard from people who joined the list 3 weeks ago being offered seasons.
    I was on the Gold. Bought three in a row in 225 on Monday. They were the last medium greys available from what I could tell, aside from a single or two left behind.

Yes, Reds (even recent joiners) are being offered what's left: dark greys, reds and the two field tables they haven't been able to move.

After the season that we had, with all the onfield failures, if renewals top out at 85%, it's a great result for the ownership team.

If we squeak into the playoffs in 2011, prices will obviously rise for those who weren't SSHs before and renewals go back up to north of 90.

This is hardly "holy shit we're on the edge of the cliff" kind of stuff for MLSE.

Look at their other franchises and their history, then plot that out against the season-seat renewal rates for the Leafs and Raps. I'm guessing the corelation is non-existent.

They have a monopoly over three of the four major-league sports teams in Toronto and I really doubt they even want the fourth one. That's why they don't need to give a shit.