Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Right.....this wonderful country we call home welcomes anyone with open arms......subsidy's, free room and board, free health care, education and the invitation to take part as a member of our society, by becoming a citizen and and what do get in return ..? zilch............ Sweet, for me thats shows NO character.........real citizens pay up, and contribute!
    I don't even think he's a citizen (but I could be wrong). It's not his fault Canada allows permanent residents. And I don't see anything wrong with it either. If someone chooses to live/work here legally and pay taxes, why should they be forced to give up their heritage?

Also not sure about the subsidies and free room and board to which you refer. Lastly, health care and education are not free - they are paid by tax dollars. Someone who lives and works here is paying for the services he gets
    Last edited by JonO; 11-17-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simeon jackson > o'brian white

I think we've come out on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricardo Fuller is gonna be pissed playing alongside him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I don't even think he's a citizen (but I could be wrong). It's not his fault Canada allows permanent residents. And I don't see anything wrong with it either. If someone chooses to live/work here legally and pay taxes, why should they be forced to give up their heritage?

Also not sure about the subsidies and free room and board to which you refer. Lastly, health care and education are not free - they are paid by tax dollars. Someone who lives and works here is paying for the services he gets

there's free shit???? where's that line start? I missed it!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was born there, played there as a youth... Good for him!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I was good enough to play at that level and Ireland came calling I don't think I'd give it up for Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that Stephen Hart openly acknowledges his interest in having White join the senior MNT program is very disturbing.

It illustrates Hart's shortcomings with regard to player evaluations.
    It screams how desperate he is, and how difficult it is becoming for him to appeal to more "seasoned" and professionally trained players who continue to stop dead in their tracks due to his amateur coaching status.
    It exposes his lack of professional experience and limitations at the international level.

Hart cannot be the man that will lead the way to Brazil in 2014!

With regard to White....
    The fact that he's barely capable of playing at the MLS level is apparently lost on a few folks.
    The fact that his football IQ is equal to that of a corner flag also appears to be overlooked.
    He plays soft, and possess the first touch of a brick wall.
    When he plays, he often disappears for extended periods, and when he's not playing soft, he looks lost, totally without ideas on what, where or who to look for.
    His lifeline as a footballer is solely based on his Gen A contract, he's a depth player, attempting to develop at 24 yrs of age.
    It ain't gonna happen - he's hit his peak.

And then the fact that he was born in Jamaica, and he's about as Canadian as jerk chicken and an ice cold red stripe, he really should remain with Jamaica and the Reggae Boyz.

Otherwise, a pleasant young man, best of luck to him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you should fault Hart at all. There are so few who are both capable of and willing to play for Canada, that Hart is forced to look for crumbs, while other countries are dining on steak.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    and how difficult it is becoming for him to appeal to more "seasoned" and professionally trained players who continue to stop dead in their tracks due to his amateur coaching status.
    ???

For example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodybeatsthewiz View Post
    worst national anthem in history.
    I loved it! The never ending anthem with WOOOOs! in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Ricardo Fuller is gonna be pissed playing alongside him.
    I can't see White playing with Fuller. Jamaica have at least 2-3 other strikers before they'd turn to White.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White, as a graduated senior, never was a GA player...and if you can be just plain wrong about such an obvious fact, well, what else could you be Wrong about? Aw, heck, I know people just like to yap...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow so many people quick to hate on the man because he didnt choose canada.

Although he probably dreamed of playing for Jamaica when he was a poor boy growing up its not like that would mean anything when CANADA comes calling!!!!

To anyone still hating on him get over yourself

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If White gets capped by Jamaica the federation ought to get about looking for a new manager to run the team.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke_Jones View Post
    Wow so many people quick to hate on the man because he didnt choose canada.

Although he probably dreamed of playing for Jamaica when he was a poor boy growing up its not like that would mean anything when CANADA comes calling!!!!

To anyone still hating on him get over yourself
    nobody in here is mad at him for choosing Jamaica. the only dislike for him I see in here is based on the fact that he's a crap footballer. did you see anybody saying they wanted him on Canada in here?

EDIT: I stand correct.... 1 reply out of 40 said he took advantage of our country and should play for us.
    Last edited by Brooker; 11-17-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxygenatedbrain View Post
    White, as a graduated senior, never was a GA player...and if you can be just plain wrong about such an obvious fact, well, what else could you be Wrong about? Aw, heck, I know people just like to yap...
    He'd be wrong about the player peaking at 24. Most professional coaches will tell you pro strikers usually peak at about 27. With a few years starting in a capable tandem, he could be decent. His intelligence on the pitch is low, but his physical skills and finishing are high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right.....this wonderful country we call home welcomes anyone with open arms......subsidy's, free room and board, free health care, education and the invitation to take part as a member of our society, by becoming a citizen and and what do get in return ..? zilch............ Sweet, for me thats shows NO character.........real citizens pay up, and contribute!
    I guess you are entitled to your opinion, that's why we live where we live. I'm not upset about OBW's choice, good for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no hard feelings towards him at all but I didn't think that he was good enough for Canada but he might have had a shot with us down the line. Given that Jamaica has better depth at striker, it was an odd move in terms of career options but if Jamaica is where his heart is then all the power to him and best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    The fact that Stephen Hart openly acknowledges his interest in having White join the senior MNT program is very disturbing.

It illustrates Hart's shortcomings with regard to player evaluations.
    It screams how desperate he is, and how difficult it is becoming for him to appeal to more "seasoned" and professionally trained players who continue to stop dead in their tracks due to his amateur coaching status.
    It exposes his lack of professional experience and limitations at the international level.

Hart cannot be the man that will lead the way to Brazil in 2014!

With regard to White....
    The fact that he's barely capable of playing at the MLS level is apparently lost on a few folks.
    The fact that his football IQ is equal to that of a corner flag also appears to be overlooked.
    He plays soft, and possess the first touch of a brick wall.
    When he plays, he often disappears for extended periods, and when he's not playing soft, he looks lost, totally without ideas on what, where or who to look for.
    His lifeline as a footballer is solely based on his Gen A contract, he's a depth player, attempting to develop at 24 yrs of age.
    It ain't gonna happen - he's hit his peak.

And then the fact that he was born in Jamaica, and he's about as Canadian as jerk chicken and an ice cold red stripe, he really should remain with Jamaica and the Reggae Boyz.

Otherwise, a pleasant young man, best of luck to him.
    You might want to read the whole article. The only time Hart actually invited him to anything was the B camp last January for off-season north american based players from NASL and MLS. The paper is making it into something it isn't based on that one thing. At the press conference before the Peru game Hart was asked about White and Hoillett. He talked at length about Hoillett but brushed off White as if to cryptically say "whatever, he stinks". Hart knows what we all know after actually getting the chance see White healthy for a full season.

Personally, I don't think White is going to be able to make any kind of a living playing the game much longer anyway. He is that bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Money says Pat Onstad finishes his career with more goals for Jamaica than OBW.
    Took me a minute, but lol.

Seriously I have no problem with this. He's not that good, played for jamaica first, nothing to see here....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many players on Jamaica's national team have Canadian connections? I know that Andy Williams is from Toronto and White spent his teanage years in Toronto. It used to be that they relied heavily on English born/raised players with Jamaican hertitage for the nat team... in the last few years that seems to swinging towards American and some Canadians. Intertesting trend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, Canada hasn't lost anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    That's a much broader argument. If Obie came to Canada, worked, paid taxes, contributed to the economy, never got into trouble, donated time to charities and still decided to play for Jamaica, does that make him any less grateful to this country to someone who does play for the national team but avoids paying taxes, gets into criminal activities and never gives to anyone else but himself?

Someone's choice to play for Canada should come down to national pride, maybe Obie does not have it and I am disappointed (after all, what did Jamaica ever give him?) But I certainly disagree that it makes him any less of a model citizen to this country than someone else just because they chose to play for Canada.
    This is essentially my position.

Always disappointed when an athlete doesn't want to suit up for the country he grew up in - particularly when it comes to immigrants who leave their native land, and come here for the opportunity it presents.

I don't think it really reflects on him as a Canadian citizen though. We cherish our freedom, and that means the freedom to choose, even if people don't like the choices you might make.

And on a talent level, he's no loss to the CMNT - which is saying something.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    /end scene

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jamaica just dropped 30 points in the FIFA world ranking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahahahahahahahaahha

good riddance. now if only he chooses a club outside Canada too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wore yellow boots all year! Good for him and better for Canada!

All up in your head, like your hairstylist!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW...Just a bit over the top bro...Here's some context for you..
    OB repped Jamaica at U15, U17, U20....He has known and played with the a lot of the current reggaeboyz since he was 13....BTW he loves Canada and Toronto. Oh and he does pay Canadian taxes and contributes off the field trust me......What a weird comment lol