• Sporting Club Kansas City

90 73.17%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    they learned a lot from the stadiums and the new experiences that have come in MLS since TFC started.
    You make it sound like TFC had no one to learn from with regards to stadium design.
    Home Depot Centre was up and running for a few years and Toyota park was practically done before a shovel hit the ground on the NSS at the CNE. Also Dallas was opened. As far design, all better than NSS. Two of those had a proper roof. TFC also knew what was coming down the road with RBNY (the nixed design was even FAR better than what TFC put up). The NSS was a dramatic step BACKWARD for the SSS popping up in North America.
    Stop being an apologist for MLSE.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good start for sure, renaming to Sporting Club. The Wizards idea was born out of a fairy tale written by L Frank Baum, and while local enough...was sorta dumb.

It could've been worse...Kansas City Stockyard Workers.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    You make it sound like TFC had no one to learn from with regards to stadium design.
    I "make it sound like" ??? Sorry those sounds are the crazy voices you're hearing in your head every day.

I simply make the point that the stadium KC is building is based upon all the things that has come since TFC burst on the scene and took MLS into the next generation. KC is building on NYRB's experience... on Philly Union's experience... on TFC's experience...

I contend that NOBODY would have built a stadium like that in 2006... so there's no reason for people to criticize BMO for not looking like that. Who would spend 180 million or more on a soccer specific stadium before 2007?? Nobody.

p.s. BMO Field is designed using some elements from other stadiums.... but of course the model wasn't as diverse in 2006 as it is now. And if TFC knew this thing would blow up, they would have spent more $$$$ tricking out BMO Field. But hindsight makes you look like a genius, doesn't it?
    Last edited by rocker; 11-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    They explain the logo in detail here:
    http://www.insightkc.com/sportingbrand/index.html

Doesn't make the logo better but it does give some insight into what everything means.
    Wow -- they brought Asclepius into it.

Well that does it for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE REAL SPORTING

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lifted off of a Spurs fan website, mock MLS names for possible future franchises.

(Energie) Penobscottbus
    ADO Den Hagerstown
    Hearts of Oakland
    Hajduk Pitt(sburgh)
    Key West Ham United
    GreenBayern Leversconsin
    Stoke-lahoma City
    Cape Henlopeņarol
    Feyenoord Dakota
    FC Barceloneonta
    Real Fargoza
    Sao Palo Alto
    Cheyenne-derlecht
    FC Lokomotiv Chattanooga
    Zenit St. Petersburg (FL)
    Crewe Alexandria (VA)
    Bayonne Leverkusen
    BSC Young Boise
    Aston Wasilla
    Tupelo-komotiv
    Racine Santander
    Savannahthinaikos
    Boca Raton Juniors
    Moose Jawventus
    Dayton Orient
    Minneapolis-St. Pauli
    Niagara Grampus Eight
    Oklahoma City Sounders
    Kansaslautern
    Galatallahassee
    Aspen Villa
    West Bromwich Albany
    Newell’s Old Boise
    Go Ahead Philadelphia Eagles
    Borussia Kansasgladbach
    Green BayErn Leversconsin
    Kentucky FC
    Castel Di Sacramento

+ Future Canadian entries

ExtremaDurham

Hamilton Macadamians

Kawartha Antlers
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 11-19-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ #FutureMLSFranchise is about as awesome as it gets with hashtags ... re: rebrand, as much as the names Wizards sucks, i'm not terribly keen on the change
    ~ illegitimi non carborundum ~

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ *yawn*
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manic.street.preacher View Post
    ^ #FutureMLSFranchise is about as awesome as it gets with hashtags ... re: rebrand, as much as the names Wizards sucks, i'm not terribly keen on the change
    I say we start using their nickname for Kansas City. Inoffensive Soccer Franchise FC.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Wiz/Wizards = stupid
    Sporting = pretentious
    Pretentious or stupid? I personally would go with stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Kentucky FC
    To celebrate opening day, every fan gets a free bucket of chicken upon entry to the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I "make it sound like" ??? Sorry those sounds are the crazy voices you're hearing in your head every day.

I simply make the point that the stadium KC is building is based upon all the things that has come since TFC burst on the scene and took MLS into the next generation. KC is building on NYRB's experience... on Philly Union's experience... on TFC's experience...

I contend that NOBODY would have built a stadium like that in 2006... so there's no reason for people to criticize BMO for not looking like that. Who would spend 180 million or more on a soccer specific stadium before 2007?? Nobody.

p.s. BMO Field is designed using some elements from other stadiums.... but of course the model wasn't as diverse in 2006 as it is now. And if TFC knew this thing would blow up, they would have spent more $$$$ tricking out BMO Field. But hindsight makes you look like a genius, doesn't it?
    Well you are incorrect. RBNY were planning a stadium. Yes when Red Bull bought the team a design change happened, but even the nixed plans were on par with what KC has or even better. The NSS at the CNE was a regression of the stadiums being built 4,5, 6 years ago.
    Honestly, what designs in the tin box that we have are so prevailing in these new stadiums?
    MLSE knew TFC was going to make money from the get go. Make no mistake about that. They knew it. They sold it as a risk so they would only spend minimal on infrastructure on that stadium.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    and then they realized that they could pack a stadium regardless of perks like a roof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    They explain the logo in detail here:
    http://www.insightkc.com/sportingbrand/index.html

Doesn't make the logo better but it does give some insight into what everything means.
    What a bunch of Hoooey! Do they really think this shit up when designing? Please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as they still look like smurfs and we can chirp em about that Im good with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badge up close

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the badge looks better on the shirt than in the JPG image.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im guessing the 'sporting club' idea is meant to be symbolic and 'connect' all levels of soccer to the team.

Their new stadium is a big sports complex is it not? With like 15 pitches or something like that?

Im guessing they see the 'Sporting Club' and an all-inclusive term that refers to the entire complex, any teams playing there, and by extension, all the players that go there.

I could speak in more abstract corporate bullshit speak, but I would have to punch myself in the face for being a douche if I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Their new stadium is a big sports complex is it not? With like 15 pitches or something like that?
    the previous incarnation of the KC stadium complex at another location had the additional community pitches alongside... this one does not, mainly cuz it's located right in a shopping/entertainment area.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Im guessing the 'sporting club' idea is meant to be symbolic and 'connect' all levels of soccer to the team.
    It doesn't. Its Sporting because they plan to have a rugby and lacrosse team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the previous incarnation of the KC stadium complex at another location had the additional community pitches alongside... this one does not, mainly cuz it's located right in a shopping/entertainment area.
    In the interview with the KC guy on It's Called Football he said they are still going to have those 15 - 20 pitches next to the stadium . . . or maybe I misunderstood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    In the interview with the KC guy on It's Called Football he said they are still going to have those 15 - 20 pitches next to the stadium . . . or maybe I misunderstood.
    well, it could be further down the street. But not right next to the stadium, as the stadium is blocked on three sides.... unless they've bought out the parking lot of the Nebraska Furniture Mart.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=39...,0.013797&z=16

if they're talking regulation pitches, they could probably squeeze three or four to the immediate left in that stretch of grass between the motor speedway and the stadium. Although it looks like the other greenspace around the motor speedway is used for parking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How have 3/4 of us voted for the new name/logo??!?! As bad as the old name was, the new one is 5x worse. Up there with Real Salt Lake for worst in league. Seriously.... Wizards is a pretty badass name. ATM it's crappy... but 30 odd years from now I reckon it would have the same throwback zany ring to it as 'Knickerbockers' sounds today. Plus the name Wizards actually has some history behind it. FFS, at least in South America when Liverpool, Everton, Barcelona etc were created they were formed by ex-pats with a connection to the name. How many Portuguese are in KC?! It's a stupid marketing ploy.... just like fuzzy mascots and cheerleaders and shoot-outs. Sounding 'ethnic' or 'established' is the current trend. Typical American Disneyfication of the beautiful game.
    To all those who voted for the new name.... please GYHAS!!!!!

/end rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave44 View Post
    How have 3/4 of us voted for the new name/logo??!?! As bad as the old name was, the new one is 5x worse. Up there with Real Salt Lake for worst in league. Seriously.... Wizards is a pretty badass name. ATM it's crappy... but 30 odd years from now I reckon it would have the same throwback zany ring to it as 'Knickerbockers' sounds today. Plus the name Wizards actually has some history behind it. FFS, at least in South America when Liverpool, Everton, Barcelona etc were created they were formed by ex-pats with a connection to the name. How many Portuguese are in KC?! It's a stupid marketing ploy.... just like fuzzy mascots and cheerleaders and shoot-outs. Sounding 'ethnic' or 'established' is the current trend. Typical American Disneyfication of the beautiful game.

/end rant
    pfftt, wizards is the worst name in the league. Its a joke. Sporting isnt great but it looks and sounds better then the Kansas City Wizards name and crest. In the 30 years it still would be a shit name!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say I liked Sporting much. I said I liked it better than Wizards because Wizards is one of the lamest names you could ever pick. If you're trying to internationalize your brand, I don't think Wizards is a good name for that. Wizards is kiddie, soccer mom stuff. I thought people on here wanted MLS to get away from that?

Most Americans won't even know there's a Portuguese club called Sporting, so I don't think they have to worry about any identity-sharing issue among fans.

I would have gone simply with Kansas City FC though. Then they'd be playing on all the "City" teams in England without being a ripoff, since their city really is called Kansas City.
    i totally agree with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the change, actually sounds like a Football team instead of a NHL, NBA, NFL team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    MLSE knew TFC was going to make money from the get go. Make no mistake about that. They knew it. They sold it as a risk so they would only spend minimal on infrastructure on that stadium.
    All indications were that ML$E was shocked and surprised by TFC's popularity, and while they thought it would be profitable in the long-haul, they were disorganized and unprepared for 20K+ fans.

For example, in year 1, they ran out of jerseys within a very short time. If they had known what was going to happen, they would have trucked in huge amounts of merchandise to make more $$$$ (and we know that ML$E loves money). The RPB board in year one had multiple threads of "I found some jerseys in XYZ store!" That's because you couldn't get merchandise for the longest while.

The decision to cheap-out the stadium was actually not made by ML$E, it was made by the CSA because they didn't get the funding from the Feds for the U-20 tournament that they expected (that's why we didn't get the roof that was in the initial plans). All plans had to be approved by the CSA's board (comprised of the leaders of the provincial associations, all with their own agendas) and 3 levels of government so ML$E would not have been able to change much, even if they had wanted to. All of this is fully documented because the negotiations were quite public due to the Toronto city council being involved. I say this not to be an apologist for ML$E, but just to set the record straight.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-23-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave44 View Post

/end rant
    Although you're right about the relevance-through-ethnicity ploy most worldwide fans would call the initial names of MLS a disneyfacation of the game not contrived changes like these.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    THE REAL SPORTING

gloioso s.l.b.
    Ai estes são os Ultras do Benfica Primeiros a nascer
    Odiamos os tripeiros Queremos ver o Porto a arder
    DIABOS VERMELHOS 1982