90 73.17%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    fixed
    Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Leave my Leafs outta this pls.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think the Kansas City Wizards would want to emulate Sporting CP of all teams.

pfft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I don't think the Kansas City Wizards would want to emulate Sporting CP of all teams.

pfft.

Yes, why would they want to emulate one of the most successful Sporting Clubs in all of Europe?

Eat sh*t Benfiquista.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    just call it Kansas City
    winner.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I just don't think Sporting Club Kansas City is an appropriate name, and makes about as much sense as Real Salt Lake. Sporting Clube de Portugal (which I presume is the inspiration for the new name) is an actual "sporting club". Whereas Kansas City is just a football club. I don't think they will have other teams in basketball, volleyball, or rowing. I agree that the Wizards name sucks, but they could have found a more appropriate name, like KC United, Kansas City SC, or some such thing. I do agree though, that "KC Athletic" would be a nod to their history and former baseball team.
    I said in the original post that their ownership OnGoal wants to own more sporting entities and its assumed it would be under this Sporting banner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I said in the original post that their ownership OnGoal wants to own more sporting entities and its assumed it would be under this Sporting banner.
    Indeed you did - missed that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

AC Kansas City would make a bit more sense, then, giving the two previous posts to this one.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Yes, why would they want to emulate one of the most successful Sporting Clubs in all of Europe?

Eat sh*t Benfiquista.
    Testy, testy.

Because 99.9% of the people in Kansas City have never heard of it and 85% of American football fans haven't either.

*Not saying they've heard of other clubs either, just I don't think SCP is the inspiration here.

They should go with Athletic Club of Kansas City - AC KC - so to speak to kind of tie in with the Kansas City Athletics. Don't think KC AC would work as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just and FYI, I think some people on here who have posted in this thread are unaware of the term "sporting" not only referring to SCP. There are several other clubs in europe with sporting, which is solely there to designate them as a club with intentions to the "sporting" nature of being a club.

In fact the only term that is a complete rip-off would be RSL, as Real Madrid were designated the term of "Real" by the King of Spain because of their success in the Champions League. So I am fine, in fact, want all MLS teams still using their stupid gimmick name and going to a more simple "designation", because when it comes down to it, as a fan you should be supporting your city not the animal or whatever your team is named after......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testify!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    Just and FYI, I think some people on here who have posted in this thread are unaware of the term "sporting" not only referring to SCP. There are several other clubs in europe with sporting, which is solely there to designate them as a club with intentions to the "sporting" nature of being a club.

In fact the only term that is a complete rip-off would be RSL, as Real Madrid were designated the term of "Real" by the King of Spain because of their success in the Champions League. So I am fine, in fact, want all MLS teams still using their stupid gimmick name and going to a more simple "designation", because when it comes down to it, as a fan you should be supporting your city not the animal or whatever your team is named after......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Thought: hahahahahahaha@ Sporting KC............My guess is that they want to build credibility as well as association with Sporting CP.

This is the second thought came to mind:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Testy, testy.

Because 99.9% of the people in Kansas City have never heard of it and 85% of American football fans haven't either.

*Not saying they've heard of other clubs either, just I don't think SCP is the inspiration here.

They should go with Athletic Club of Kansas City - AC KC - so to speak to kind of tie in with the Kansas City Athletics. Don't think KC AC would work as well.

AC KC sounds better to me as well. I don't think they are using SCP as the inspiration either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kansas City Blues FC is a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a good change... legitimizes the league... Toronto F.C.... Sporting Club Kansas City... both good names...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both names suck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it, whats wrong with you guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    both names suck
    this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new soccer specific stadium in KC will be open when Toronto visits next summer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that Sporting Gijon etc. BUT, SCP is the best and I don't care what Whoopee says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Leave my Leafs outta this pls.
    i have been refering to them like that for a couple of years...

Maple Laughs and Craptors

and don't worry...they are both my teams too; I couldn't support a non-Toronto team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crapids have exclusive rights to Crap in their name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Sporting Gijon, I believe, is another Real. Real Sporting de Gijon.

But let's be realistic. It's not like DCU picked their name because they wanted to associate themselves with Hereford or Oxford. TFC, one could argue, basically copied Liverpool FC (red and white, and we're Toronto FC). RSL copied Madrid.

Everyone does it in this league. But I like the Wizards as a name over Sporting Club.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Actually, Sporting Gijon, I believe, is another Real. Real Sporting de Gijon.

But let's be realistic. It's not like DCU picked their name because they wanted to associate themselves with Hereford or Oxford. TFC, one could argue, basically copied Liverpool FC (red and white, and we're Toronto FC). RSL copied Madrid.

Everyone does it in this league. But I like the Wizards as a name over Sporting Club.
    But DC United is still more relevant than a team like, say, REAL Salt Lake. The "united" moniker is often used to denote, well, UNITY - typically within the community. As in: "DC united for football" or what have you. With Real Salt Lake however, where is the relevancy? There are few Spaniards in Utah and no regal attachment to anything. It's obvious they were banking on a gimmick when they came up with that name, but I think DCU is in the clear on this one.

As for Toronto, I don't think anyone can reasonable equate TFC to anyone else. There's so many other clubs in the world which are simply named after the city they are in, and the red-and-white colour scheme is fairly common. I'm pretty sure our colour scheme has more to do with the Canadian flag and random artistic licence than anything else.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    But DC United is still more relevant than a team like, say, REAL Salt Lake. The "united" moniker is often used to denote, well, UNITY - typically within the community. As in: "DC united for football" or what have you. With Real Salt Lake however, where is the relevancy? There are few Spaniards in Utah and no regal attachment to anything. It's obvious they were banking on a gimmick when they came up with that name, but I think DCU is in the clear on this one.

As for Toronto, I don't think anyone can reasonable equate TFC to anyone else. There's so many other clubs in the world which are simply named after the city they are in, and the red-and-white colour scheme is fairly common. I'm pretty sure our colour scheme has more to do with the Canadian flag and random artistic licence than anything else.
    100% agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiz/Wizards = stupid
    Sporting = pretentious

Not much to choose between them. But if this is the choice, go with Sporting. A bit less hoaky and not entirely irrelevant.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay folks this is all a bit silly if we don't take into account our true bias here.

This is really a vote on NA style names or foreign style names. Most of us here are used to hearing names from elsewhere in the world and are reminded of a better quality of football. If not, then at least a different team with far more history.

Be it FC, Sparta, SC, Real, or United it only legitimizes because its familiar. I for one agree with it only if there's a reflection of a majority of people it reflects.
    FC and English style names work because all of us here use English as a first language but if there's a large population of support in any given area of a certain background it makes sense to go with a name that reflects it.

SC Kansas City is an obvious Portuguese reference that would seem to me more at home here in Toronto or New England (touch Ironic, that last one) but all these names, ALL of them will exclude a group of people anyway.

I'm big enough to admit my bias to Toronto FC over InterToronto and probably would have thought less of my local team name if it had a NA nickname.

Unless it had been The Toronto Redcoats.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't need to admit my bias Pete, it's self-evident

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they won a supporters shield, a mls cup, and an open cup as the wizards, got to the semi-finals of a champions cup, were the wizards for 15 years, how are you supposed to have any history if you flop around

its a dumb name but it's their dumb name

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ A truly excellent point, to be honest.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Wiz/Wizards = stupid
    Sporting = pretentious

Not much to choose between them. But if this is the choice, go with Sporting. A bit less hoaky and not entirely irrelevant.
    +1. exactly the point I was making earlier. but said better that i did.