90 73.17%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kansas City Sporting Club

The team said there will be a big Kansas City soccer announcement on Wednesday and everyone knows this the re-branding everyone has been hearing the rumors about. Rumors have swirled around for months that its Sporting Kansas because their ownership group, OnGoal, wants A. to be more global B. own more than just one sporting entity. It appears as if the domains for the teams have been purchased and then this leaked..

new image:

The blog that obtained claims its from a credible source within the team but I still claim it is bs because as the blog even mentions, it looks exactly like the Eastern Conference logo...

We'll have to wait and see until Wednesday I suppose.
    Last edited by kodiakTFC; 11-15-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's history. Keep the Wizards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    I disagree with this logic because sometimes team name changes are desperately needed and in this instance I believe it is. Not many Wizards fan even like the name, its all around terrible and cheesy.

Toronto Arenas -> St. Pats -> Maple Leafs
    New York Highlanders ->Yankees
    Newton Heath LYR Football Club -> Manchester United
    Wiz -> Wizards -> Sporting ?
    Last edited by kodiakTFC; 11-15-2010 at 12:26 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are not enough facepalms out there to describe this fuckwad of a decision.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both names are stupid, although the Wizards does at least have some sort of link to KC (The Wizard of Oz).

FWIW, the team was named "the Wiz" by a marketing person at Adidas. This individual named all of the original teams, which is why they tended to suck so badly (San Jose Clash, Dallas Burn stick out).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait, there's logos for the confrences in the mls?
    huh, interesting
    though i personally like names like that. too bad that they couldn't back it up.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as people like to get on the back of North American sports clubs for having odd names, I'd much rather prefer an original name and identity over something ripped off from elsewhere. I would take KC Wizards in an instant over Sporting KC or whatever they want to call it.

Also on notice: Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    It will be history and not soon enough. Sporting is an improvement but still not as inclusive as it could be. I'm sure there will be some who are outraged.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like Sporting more than Wizards, but not by much.

Wizards is lame... it's soccer mom lame. The kinda name some marketing person probably thought would attract all the kiddies to the stadium.

It's only acceptable to people now because people have gotten used to it.

It's like the Impact. Impact is an awful name. But people in Montreal have gotten used to it, so they'll probably keep it for MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But what's so good about Sporting Kansas City? What is it about that name that you like? I look at it and analyze it in my mind, but all I get is nonsense. The grammar is all wrong, but obviously it's intentional because they are trying to emulate the famous Portuguese club.

I agree that Wizards is lame, but isn't that still better than sharing an identity with an current club that uses another language entirely?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    As much as people like to get on the back of North American sports clubs for having odd names, I'd much rather prefer an original name and identity over something ripped off from elsewhere. I would take KC Wizards in an instant over Sporting KC or whatever they want to call it.

+1(00).
    there's something to be said about being north american and naming your teams to have them stand out, but there's also something to be said about consistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But what's so good about Sporting Kansas City? What is it about that name that you like? I look at it and analyze it in my mind, but all I get is nonsense. The grammar is all wrong, but obviously it's intentional because they are trying to emulate the famous Portuguese club.

I agree that Wizards is lame, but isn't that still better than sharing an identity with an current club that uses another language entirely?
    I didn't say I liked Sporting much. I said I liked it better than Wizards because Wizards is one of the lamest names you could ever pick. If you're trying to internationalize your brand, I don't think Wizards is a good name for that. Wizards is kiddie, soccer mom stuff. I thought people on here wanted MLS to get away from that?

Most Americans won't even know there's a Portuguese club called Sporting, so I don't think they have to worry about any identity-sharing issue among fans.

I would have gone simply with Kansas City FC though. Then they'd be playing on all the "City" teams in England without being a ripoff, since their city really is called Kansas City.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-15-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I didn't say I liked Sporting much. I said I liked it better than Wizards because Wizards is one of the lamest names you could ever pick. If you're trying to internationalize your brand, I don't think Wizards is a good name for that. Wizards is kiddie, soccer mom stuff. I thought people on here wanted MLS to get away from that?

Most Americans won't even know there's a Portuguese club called Sporting, so I don't think they have to worry about any identity-sharing issue among fans.

I would have gone simply with Kansas City FC though. Then they'd be playing on all the "City" teams in England without being a ripoff, since their city really is called Kansas City.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the question regarding the Sporting name wasn't so much directed at you, but rather a general musing on my part.

You're right in that Wizards isn't likely a brand that is going to achieve international recognition (or perhaps even national recognition for that matter), so a re-branding does make a lot of sense.

Actually, I like KCFC as well. They might run into a few problems with the good folks at YUM! Foods Inc., but it would certainly be a step in the right direction for the club's identity.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 11-15-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you in principle, but not when it's as bad a name as Wizards.

Whitecaps? Yes.

Timbers? Yes.

Wizards? No.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my only issue with Sporting is that its not a sports club, its a soccer club, as a result its a bit of a misnomer. thats not to mention the fact they are likely to alienate any portuguese fans (although im sure there are few in kansas) with this name.

hate wizards just as well. when i first heard the name i had to have the reference explained to me (im aware of the wizard of Oz but failed to see the link to kansas immediately).

either way, some seriously poor choices here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    my only issue with Sporting is that its not a sports club, its a soccer club, as a result its a bit of a misnomer. thats not to mention the fact they are likely to alienate any portuguese fans (although im sure there are few in kansas) with this name.

hate wizards just as well. when i first heard the name i had to have the reference explained to me (im aware of the wizard of Oz but failed to see the link to kansas immediately).

either way, some seriously poor choices here.
    Well, it's actually a franchise, not even a club, but I can understand why they don't want to lead with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is ONLY ONE TRUE SPORTING

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sparta KC would be better, though no less disingenuous.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not that Wizards was such a great name, but it's sad to see yet another club adopt a European type name that makes absolutely no sense. Why don't we just rename the rest of the MLS teams that don't have this? Borussia Columbus, Lokomotiv San Jose, Atletico Los Angeles, etc. (Actually, Borussia Columbus makes a bit of sense, given the strong German cultural influence that still exists today there).
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 11-15-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just call it Kansas City
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Not that Wizards was such a great name, but it's sad to see yet another club adopt a European type name that makes absolutely no sense. Why don't we just rename the rest of the MLS teams that don't have this? Borussia Columbus, Lokomotiv San Jose, Atletico Los Angeles, etc. (Actually, Borussia Columbus makes a bit of sense, given the strong German cultural influence that still exists today there).
    What did we tell you about giving them ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I disagree with this logic because sometimes team name changes are desperately needed and in this instance I believe it is. Not many Wizards fan even like the name, its all around terrible and cheesy.

Toronto Arenas -> St. Pats -> Maple Laughs
    New York Highlanders ->Yankees
    Newton Heath LYR Football Club -> Manchester United
    Wiz -> Wizards -> Sporting ?
    fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and the piss colour jerseys

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like it.

Reminds me of Dynamo or some of the more storied Russian "Athletic Clubs". Speaking of which, North America has a few of those already.

In baseball, the Oakland A's are a short form for "Athletic Club." Which, for the baseball buffs, came to being after the team moved from Kansas City where it was named the Kansas City Athletics.

Good on them. "Wizards" is not as prestigious as "Sporting Club"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not Kansas city United?

its not like there has to be only 1.
    Last edited by deltox; 11-15-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post

it looks exactly like the Eastern Conference logo...

I think you have a different interpretation of the word "exactly" than I do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I like it.

Reminds me of Dynamo or some of the more storied Russian "Athletic Clubs". Speaking of which, North America has a few of those already.

In baseball, the Oakland A's are a short form for "Athletic Club." Which, for the baseball buffs, came to being after the team moved from Kansas City where it was named the Kansas City Athletics.

Good on them. "Wizards" is not as prestigious as "Sporting Club"
    I just don't think Sporting Club Kansas City is an appropriate name, and makes about as much sense as Real Salt Lake. Sporting Clube de Portugal (which I presume is the inspiration for the new name) is an actual "sporting club". Whereas Kansas City is just a football club. I don't think they will have other teams in basketball, volleyball, or rowing. I agree that the Wizards name sucks, but they could have found a more appropriate name, like KC United, Kansas City SC, or some such thing. I do agree though, that "KC Athletic" would be a nod to their history and former baseball team.
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 11-15-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite partial to Kansas City '96

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just don't think Sporting Club Kansas City is an appropriate name, and makes about as much sense as Real Salt Lake. Sporting Clube de Portugal (which I presume is the inspiration for the new name) is an actual "sporting club". Whereas Kansas City is just a football club. I don't think they will have other teams in basketball, volleyball, or rowing. I agree that the Wizards name sucks, but they could have found a more appropriate name, like KC United, Kansas City SC, or some such thing. I do agree though, that "KC Athletic" would be a nod to their history and former baseball team.
    Perhaps but who knows what their future plans might involve.

Maybe this name change is the first step in a long range strategy to acquire a few other "properties." Of course, we wouldn't recognize a longer term strategy when we see it here in MLSE country.