Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Not sure but if they did bite on JPA today they would have 2 DPs.

JDG and JPA

Teams know that DeRo wants more money and the only way he gets it is if we offer him that 3rd DP slot. That would cost us $250k out of the gate to buy the slot plus his salary increase.

Even if we did that, we have JDG - DeRo and JPA as our DPs and the only improvement we have over the playoff failures of past year(s) is an older JPA. Not inspiring from where I sit.

Most likely, the teams would know that we are most likely to move DeRo as we haven't taken advantage of that 3rd DP. They'd then have the upper hand in any trade discussion.

I'd welcome a DP core that has JPA and new blood in it but I'm not sure that getting him today is the best move for the club over the long term.
    Costs MLSE 250k. Costs you and me nothing, that doesn't come out of the cap.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Costs MLSE 250k. Costs you and me nothing, that doesn't come out of the cap.
    Profit comes out of our pockets.

Profit = Revenue - Expenses - $250k

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as mentioned a billion times previously, although some people rate JPA highly the fact is hes getting paid alot, and is getting older with that hes doing less, it could just be that JPA is not a deal to be had

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One question that I think needs clearing up: do you have to make players a DP?

I am of the opinion that you do not. For example, right now DeRo costs us more money against the cap than he would if he were a DP (in other words, he makes more than what is traditionally considered a DP salary). Yet he's not a DP. Am I understanding this correctly?

Again, in other words, if we took away Guzi's status as our current lone DP, then obviously his entire salary would count against the cap, but in theory is this still legal by MLS rules? In Guzi's case I don't know why you'd want to do it, but in theory can't an MLS club just make or take away anyone's DP status whenever they want and just suffer the cap space consequences?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah im pretty sure max against salary is 300 and something k, after that its DP territory

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    I am of the opinion that you do not. For example, right now DeRo costs us more money against the cap than he would if he were a DP (in other words, he makes more than what is traditionally considered a DP salary). Yet he's not a DP. Am I understanding this correctly?
    Not 100% sure on this one, but I believe the max salary is $335,000. Anything above that must be a designated player. However, each team has allocation money (in addition to the salary cap) that can be used to make up the difference. For example, if Toronto has $100,000 allocation money they can use it to pay DeRo up to $435,000 without making him a DP.

Also, since DeRo's contract was signed before the new rules (the max salary was around $400,000) I am not sure if there are any transitional provisions.

MLS rules....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope TFC will be active next Wednesday if Schelotto or Angel are available with the 6th pick. I maintain that either player would be a worthwhile risk on a one year non DP contract...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh, not me, i think we can and should shoot higher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I hope TFC will be active next Wednesday if Schelotto or Angel are available with the 6th pick. I maintain that either player would be a worthwhile risk on a one year non DP contract...
    yup I would like to have both player's

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torontofc.ca has been featuring JPA's picture a lot lately..

Just saying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and frank ribery, sorry man, thatd mean we also prob have cochrane as our gm.
    cant follow the logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Shitelotto is a good player (if not a tad long in the tooth) but I've spent so much energy hating him that I don't think I could ever welcome him into the TFC fold. But that's just me personally. Perhaps I have love issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day the more I think about these palyers JPA and GBS the more I lean towards us signing neither of them period...

They are stop gap measures there is no long term plan with them in place. We would be covering the hole for a year at best and then we would be right back where we are now next year.

IMO we need to sign players that will be around for a couple of years at least to develop continuity and play within the system that the coaches set forth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^^^
    BING BING BING, yes that is correct, thank you
    I bet neither of these dudes would be able to do a full season, look at how often they were injured last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    At the end of the day the more I think about these palyers JPA and GBS the more I lean towards us signing neither of them period...

They are stop gap measures there is no long term plan with them in place. We would be covering the hole for a year at best and then we would be right back where we are now next year.

IMO we need to sign players that will be around for a couple of years at least to develop continuity and play within the system that the coaches set forth.
    TFC has kids developing in the academy and a few of them may or may not be on the cusp of playing with the big club next season. In the interim, what's wrong with signing an impact player that should substantially improve the club's chances of making the playoffs? DeRo is in his prime and is not getting any younger. Why not surround him with the best available talent in the short term? It will not hinder the development of the young players in the organization and could concievably make TFC far more competitive next season...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because at this point in time, at this age with their histories of injuries and at their costs, they are not necessarily the best players to be surrounding DeRo, perhaps a year ago and definitely 2 years ago but not necessarily now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    TFC has kids developing in the academy and a few of them may or may not be on the cusp of playing with the big club next season. In the interim, what's wrong with signing an impact player that should substantially improve the club's chances of making the playoffs? DeRo is in his prime and is not getting any younger. Why not surround him with the best available talent in the short term? It will not hinder the development of the young players in the organization and could concievably make TFC far more competitive next season...
    Not for anything expecting kids coming through our academy to make a substantial impact to our squad is a stretch at best...

The reason I state not sign either of JPA or GBS is that with the amount of money that they would command you can pick up a couple of players that would contribute a lot more to the squad. Think about it you sign either of them to a DP spot that is $325K against the cap. i bet you you can find 2 quality players for $160k or three players at a $100k that would have a bigger influence on the squad then either of those two. Our squad has glaring needs at both full back positions, midfield - we need two wingers plus a creative midfielder and a striker who can score goals consitently who is young enough not to worry about injuries due to wear and tear ala JPA or GBS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

signing Schelotto and JPA raises some questions:

1) what's the alternative to signing one or both of them? They may seem attractive because of the unknown -- we don't know who else we could get; so we overrate the known and underrate the unknown
    2) what style of play will the new coach/GM want to employ? Would either of them fit that style? Columbus and NYRB aren't interested in having them in their system anymore for some reason. They are successful teams (still shite tho!) who don't seem to need these two players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocker, I just don't understand the Angel hate. The guy is only 35. Worst case scenario, he plays half of the season and gets injured/retires. We can cut his goals tally from last season in half. I'll even be conservative and round down. That leaves him with 6 goals for Toronto FC, which if he had done that this season would still make him our third top scorer by some margin. No matter what coach we have next year, I can't envision them NOT wanting to play a striker that scores goals!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No hate just a disagreement in how useful the guy would be as well as how much youd be willing to sacrefice in order to find out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

1) what's the alternative to signing one or both of them? They may seem attractive because of the unknown -- we don't know who else we could get; so we overrate the known and underrate the unknown
    2) what style of play will the new coach/GM want to employ? Would either of them fit that style? Columbus and NYRB aren't interested in having them in their system anymore for some reason. They are successful teams (still shite tho!) who don't seem to need these two players.
    Yeah well, NY has Rafa Marquez and Henry as their two other DPs. And you are asking why NY doesn't seem to need him in the system any longer? If you are telling me the unknown that we are getting is of that caliber then sure, who needs Angel.

There is nothing wrong with going with a proven player in he MLS as one of your striker options. That doesn't mean you are underrating the unknown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

Attacking style!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Attacking style!
    hopefully.. but without a new coach or GM in place, we don't know if JPA or GBS are the type of player they want.
    for all we know the new management could say "shit, you saddled me with these old guys?" or something like that.
    We can still attack without having either player.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Torontofc.ca has been featuring JPA's picture a lot lately..

Just saying.
    ... and Nigel asked Daso specifically about JPA a few weeks ago during an interview he gave. Daso confirmed a player of his type would interest the team but that JPA was under contract so couldn't comment specifically.

That's what has been said publicly to the media. Who knows what has been said privately through sources and mutual friends.

I'd wager that in the world of unofficial communication, JPA knows that TFC has some interest and TFC has some idea as to the kind of deal that JPA would be interested in.

Let the dominos fall where they may.

Oh, and trade DeRo. Did I mention that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and Nigel asked Daso specifically about JPA a few weeks ago during an interview he gave. Daso confirmed a player of his type would interest the team but that JPA was under contract so couldn't comment specifically.

That's what has been said publicly to the media. Who knows what has been said privately through sources and mutual friends.

I'd wager that in the world of unofficial communication, JPA knows that TFC has some interest and TFC has some idea as to the kind of deal that JPA would be interested in.

Roogsy =

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Paul Beirne tweeted about JPA once I seem to remember... seemed to be enamoured with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    I agree that Shitelotto is a good player (if not a tad long in the tooth) but I've spent so much energy hating him that I don't think I could ever welcome him into the TFC fold. But that's just me personally. Perhaps I have love issues.
    i think its more of a "claude lemieux" type issue. GBS is a player you love to hate. but if he is on your team you love him.

but my opinion is biased simply because i'm an argie and a boca juniors fan. what he did while playing for Boca will never go unnoticed to any boca juniors fan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see if TFC with pick #6 pick up someone.

I'm leaning towards "yes," but likely it will be a "lower end" acquisition...

Plus they may pick up Nick Garcia again at much lower wages for bench strength, if every other team has passed on him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

All up in your head, like your hairstylist!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No one on that list I'd pursue. Khari Stephenson would be a good depth player but would come in expecting to start and likely too expensive. Plus, he's moved a lot lately, although I think he's from TO for some reason?
    I agree with your assessment...He's a Jamaican international not from T.O. Although his father was the Consulate General in Toronto for a short period (prolly about 10 years ago) and I remember seeing him in the city then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It will be interesting to see if TFC with pick #6 pick up someone.

I'm leaning towards "yes," but likely it will be a "lower end" acquisition...

Plus they may pick up Nick Garcia again at much lower wages for bench strength, if every other team has passed on him.
    there are better depth options than Nick Garcia
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano