Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do people get tryouts?

I understand that this might sound silly, but I know a number of great players that are all interested in playing for Toronto FC. Some are as young as 18 and others as old as 25. How would they go about getting a try-out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you take a time machine back to 2007 and you go to the open tryout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe TFC has open tryouts every year (early of the year). You got to paid like $100 though.

EDIT: If your friends as good you think they are, then maybe they should play in CSL first. I am sure if they perform well in CSL, TFC will notice and invite for a tryout.
    Last edited by TFC07; 11-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I believe TFC has open tryouts every year (early of the year). You got to paid like $100 though.

EDIT: If your friends as good you think they are, then maybe they should play in CSL first. I am sure if they perform well in CSL, TFC will notice and invite for a tryout.
    this is sound advice.
    M.U.F.C.U.M GAMBA OSAKA Toronto FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's good advice in that a number of CSL players have trial and trained with TFC. It's worth noting, however, none of them have ever been signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    you take a time machine back to 2007 and you go to the open tryout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSL have open tryouts........

Probably your friends best bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. It just seems pretty laborious to go through all the trouble of playing in the CSL and to be rewarded with such a minute chance of success. Would playing in university make it easier? Some of them go to U of T and York, which are the top two teams in the country. Most played OYSL until recently, and a number of them were part of the number 1 team at OFSAA this last year.

I mean, I guess CSL is one option, but I'm really just perplexed at how difficult it seems to become a professional athlete in Toronto. If there really are open try outs every year, that would seem to be the simplest method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the club websites, and they will advertise open tryouts.

I believe they start around March.........start sending e-mails.

and TBH your friends would have to be flatout amazing in order to make it straight to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    I mean, I guess CSL is one option, but I'm really just perplexed at how difficult it seems to become a professional athlete in Toronto.
    Really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Really?
    Here's me wondering where Dv23 is from that it's so easy to become a pro...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHawk View Post
    Check the club websites, and they will advertise open tryouts.

I believe they start around March.........start sending e-mails.

and TBH your friends would have to be flatout amazing in order to make it straight to MLS.
    and if they are that good they're on somebody's radar already. I encourage them to go to any open tryouts they can. Why not pursue the dream while you still can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. It just seems pretty laborious to go through all the trouble of playing in the CSL and to be rewarded with such a minute chance of success. Would playing in university make it easier? Some of them go to U of T and York, which are the top two teams in the country. Most played OYSL until recently, and a number of them were part of the number 1 team at OFSAA this last year.

I mean, I guess CSL is one option, but I'm really just perplexed at how difficult it seems to become a professional athlete in Toronto. If there really are open try outs every year, that would seem to be the simplest method.
    to become a pro athlete is not something you just decide to do.

it takes many years to become elite and chances are that if you are good enough, you qould know it by the age of 15.

not saying it is out of the realm of possibilities, but i would think for right now there best options would be to try out for the CSL. and even that will be difficult,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply put, if they were good enough to be in MLS, they wouldnt be asking. Someone would have told them what they should do. If nobody has told them what should be done (get a soccer scholarship at a US college, join a CSL team) then they simply arent good enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send Collin Samuel an email, ask him how he made the club and then tell your friends to do the same thing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fucking lol at this entire post

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am thinking lol too
    but if you are serious then you need to earn your stripes

typical of todays youth instant everything
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This whole post made me LOL.

Would playing in University make it easier ? From the sound of things your lads are exceptionally bright so they'll no doubt win scholarships. That'd be good, because then they could work on becoming doctors or summat in case the TFC scouts don't make it all the way around the scholastic circuit.

Can you imagine how hard they'll work in practice if they already can't be arsed to spend time in the CSL ?

Kids these days...
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark my words I will get them in. And then you'll all be SORRY!
    Muahahahaha!!

But no, seriously, I understand the humour in my posts. In all honesty though, I think most of my friends could compete with the starters on TFC. They are faster and more aggressive too.

I think a more appropriate question that I should ask is: How does the Draft work? That is, how are players selected? Is it only from American colleges or are Canadian University students drafted as well?

EDIT: I should also mention that their team has played TFC Academy a couple of times in tournaments and have beaten them quite badly.
    Last edited by Dv23; 11-09-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please let this thread never end.... This is fucking awesome.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^well then, the job is done. TFC scouts will already have your mates names in their books. All they need to do now is to go and sit by the phone - or have someone else do it for them.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we're on the topic, why is TFC not calling me up? I could seriously have played better left or right back then hscanovics or usanov.. and I'm 100% serious

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

they're probably still working their way throught the phone book. What's your number start with ? I heard they're currently still on the 1's.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to offend man, but think through this logically: any player good enough to play for TFC is going to stick out in CSL like a sore thumb. Nick Lindsay is 17; are there too many other wingers in the CSL at his level and around his age?

Are your friends on the national team picture for their age group? If not, again, their chances of being ready for MLS are remote. If they are, the team already knows who they are.

Not sure if you realize the level of skill and speed between amateur and pros, but it's rare in this day and age for superior talent to go undiscovered by ANYONE.

Seems a bit naive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

playing at uoft and york (and carleton and queens for that matter) is difficult...unless they are extremely unbelievable players...to get on the team, you have to be invited to try-out...if not, you can contact the coach for the open try-out, but the open try-out is usually the day before the season starts...in the end, you wouldn't make the team, you would probably be "recruited" for the following season, should you have impressed. Even with that being said, the coach already has decided what he wants as his first team and I have heard of guys being left on the side. There best bet is to play at a school like Ryerson, Brock, Guelph, Windsor...I would highly recommend if they want to play and show there stuff, playing at Laurentian, Nippising, Trent are great teams to play for. They consistently make the playoffs, but don't have deep rosters. Laurentian graduated Scott Cliff who now is the captain, first signee, and starting goalie for Milltown FC...

the best chance to get to the MLS is going to a school in the States or being discovered by the TFC Academy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three words.

Jamal Smith.

...wait, is that only two? ...or is that four in total?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really good in the manager modes of Football Manager 2010, FIFA 10 and FIFA 11. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get a manager trial with Jurgen. It seems really hard to become a manager when I have so much great experience.

But, no, seriously guys. Mark my words I will get in. And then you'll all be SORRY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always wondered if thats how Mo got in. Would make sense though. His 5 year plan in FIFA would get TFC to the type of quality you would see in top level prem league teams. All you gotta do is make several trades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo must have really used video games to impress Anselmi. There is no other conceivable way he could have convinced them to keep him around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"see, all I have to do is upgrade my negotiating staff, then I can get Ronaldo cheap. I just need the money for it now!"