Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peters: Hey snobs: Major League Soccer does not suck

Hey snobs: Major League Soccer does not suck

Quality of play is improving every year

By: Jerrad Peters

Are you one of those people who turn up their nose when a Major League Soccer match is on TV? Do you say things like, "It's a pub league," or "Compared to English football, it sucks," while pretentiously sipping your import? If so, skip down a few paragraphs to Spot kicks or, better yet, skip this column entirely. You've been getting on my nerves for years.
    There, now that we've weeded out the snobs, let me level with you: MLS is not on par with the Premier League. Not even close. But it's still a good standard of soccer, and it's certainly not a pub league.
    read more:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...106365973.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good article - thanks!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy Major League Soccer but it sucks. Arguing otherwise is just self delusion. I appreciate it for what it is, and I dont consider myself a 'euro-snob' who thinks MLS isnt good enough for my attention, but I cant stand when people try and argue for the quality of play in MLS.

Its terrible. Its slowly improving, but it is still awful. I wish people would just enjoy it for what it is instead of feeling compelled to pick a side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is probably the 30-40th best league in the world. It doesn't "suck", but it's surely not La Liga or the EPL for sure. Never will be.

That being said, being 30th isn't really that bad considering the hundreds of professional leagues out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's still somewhere between Championship and Divison 1 in my books. Okay, but not the pinnacle of the sport. Accept it for what it is and enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"suck" is a relative measure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We must also accept and see that Toronto FC is not MLS soccer.

When LA Galaxy, RSL, and the likes play, the quality leaves a HUUUUGE gap between what Toronto FC produces. It's like watching a whole other league. TFC seems to worsen the teams they play against, in a way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    We must also accept and see that Toronto FC is not MLS soccer.

When LA Galaxy, RSL, and the likes play, the quality leaves a HUUUUGE gap between what Toronto FC produces. It's like watching a whole other league. TFC seems to worsen the teams they play against, in a way.
    A lot of this is true. MLS isn't a great league, but a number of teams play really good stuff.

TFC's much worse on the eyes than most of the teams in this league. Sadly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful to hear!

It inspires me to watch today's play-off games. Which channel should I tune to?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    I enjoy Major League Soccer but it sucks. Arguing otherwise is just self delusion. I appreciate it for what it is, and I dont consider myself a 'euro-snob' who thinks MLS isnt good enough for my attention, but I cant stand when people try and argue for the quality of play in MLS.

Its terrible. Its slowly improving, but it is still awful. I wish people would just enjoy it for what it is instead of feeling compelled to pick a side.
    Agreed ILM.

I think most of the 'euro-snobs' think we don't know that though. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sums it up perfectly.

I think the MLS (as a league) is on par with mid to top half of FL1, but there are a few individual teams - RSL in particular - that would do reasonably well in the Championship...having said that, there are teams in the top half of FL1 that would do reasonably well in the Championship too.

Typically though, the quality (from a team perspective) is better in FL1..there's more depth, the players are more fundamentally sound, more tactically sound etc. whereas the MLS teams are often saved by a small number of excellent individual preformances. Again, RSL are a noticeable exception (they play a pretty solid team-oriented game).

So, while a MLS squad would be competitive with most FL1/Championship sides, most FL1/Championship sides are still more attractive to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most MLS matches not involving TFC are pretty good ironicly like others have pointed out. As for the quality of play, while it may not be up there with the best leagues in the world, I rather watch it than Wigan versus Sunderland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The top 4-5 teams in MLS would finish in the top 12 Championship...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounders -- Galaxy last night was very entertaining.

MLS doesn't suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Perhaps in a mythical world where no one gets injured. MLS squads are too thin and the drop in quality is substantial when you go to the bench.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take offense at the term Euro Snob. I mean most idiots that use it have a different view of the term than the next.

The ultimate level would be one who never watches domestic football to watch a better quality of football that happens to be foreign.

It's a different level if said person has been following said foreign football side for longer than his local, the domestic league, or if they are from the area of their foreign football team plays originally.

Lastly, what pisses me off most about this term is it's as ignorant as the attitude it damns. Other than 3 "European" (One's British) leagues what European supporter doesn't do the same damn thing so many of us else do- Look at those leagues up above and wish to be better BUT still appreciate football at home for what it is.

This is the biggest sport in the world yet some choose to be insular about support.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would the top MLS teams have finished in that league ten years ago?

Soccer is a tough sell in the crowded sports markets of North America, so it's actually quite an accomplishment, what MLS has done so far.

It'll take time and happen in stages. That's why playoffs are important now, to introduce new fans to the sport it needs to be showcased. There was an NFL game in London yesterday, but it was a far cry from a playoff game. Maybe it got some people interested, but chances are it only appealed tom people who already like the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a chance. I think RSL is the only team that would have a chance at being competitive in the Championship. With teams like LA and NY, any half-decent Championship side would isolate and negate the top players and walk all over the rest of the team. One or two key injuries and any MLS team would finish dead last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I take offense at the term Euro Snob. I mean most idiots that use it have a different view of the term than the next.

The ultimate level would be one who never watches domestic football to watch a better quality of football that happens to be foreign.

It's a different level if said person has been following said foreign football side for longer than his local, the domestic league, or if they are from the area of their foreign football team plays originally.

Lastly, what pisses me off most about this term is it's as ignorant as the attitude it damns. Other than 3 "European" (One's British) leagues what European supporter doesn't do the same damn thing so many of us else do- Look at those leagues up above and wish to be better BUT still appreciate football at home for what it is.

This is the biggest sport in the world yet some choose to be insular about support.
    I agree totally!!

Another frustration is that the debate itself assumes that we're watching MLS for the quality of play. Most of us signed up before a single game was even played and we're still here after four really bad years. For many of us, its about supporting a local side, civic pride, wanting to see the sport grow in Canada etc. To a lot of people, those issues out weigh quality of play vs. other leagues.

Leeds went from being a Champions League team to FL1 in a few years - the quality of play has suffered more than can be described, but I didn't stop following Leeds.

Of course we all want our teams to win and play the best that they can etc. but its not why we follow them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Sounders -- Galaxy last night was very entertaining.

MLS doesn't suck.
    I'm sure a Bulgarian 2nd division game ended 4-4 and was entertaining.

Entertainment does not mean the league is good.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a bitter guy writes a preview without any real info and then decides to randomly bitch about people...and thinks drinking imported beer is pretencious. This guys a real winner.

And while the Galaxy Sounders game was a pleasant and easy to watch....it was long ball, and chase play....exactly what people here bitch about british leagues being and the type of thing we dont want to be.

this wasnt an article, was just some angry douche in the middle of nowhere.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    I'm sure a Bulgarian 2nd division game ended 4-4 and was entertaining.

Entertainment does not mean the league is good.
    And high scoring does not mean the game was entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well put, I also dislike people comparing MLS to whatever, I enjoy what we have and it can only get better as the league develops and matures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is generally messy and frustrating soccer.

But being able to regularly watch professional soccer live and in person has to be one of the most wonderful things in life!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

compare the salary of an EPL club and that of an MLS club.

just to pick a random team.... Blackpool. Yes they're very small compared to other EPL clubs, but their anual wage bill is £5m (source*)

that's like $8 million Canadian. And what's TFC working with? Under 3 million?
    Our entire salary (including DPs) is less than a single star player can make on an average EPL team.
    making the comparison is just a waste of time. If MLS opened up a bit more room with the salary cap,
    then we'll start seeing some real improvements.

and like pnuts said, being able to watch your team play live in front of you is very rewarding, even if the quality isn't as good as it should be.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quality of MLS is a reflection of the quality of players generally available in North America, regardless of the few high quality gems and DPs sprinkled in.

As professional club soccer becomes more culturally ingrained and accepted by native North Americans, the quality will go up.

For now, I enjoy it for what it is, just like any fan of a lower level European side does. I think part of the problem is that a) North Americans aren't used to having a professional sports league that isn't the best in the world at it's sport, and b) most European people don't see North America as a legitimate soccer country, so the fact that we even have a pro league probably raises some hackles.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The quality of MLS is a reflection of the quality of players generally available in North America, regardless of the few high quality gems and DPs sprinkled in.

As professional club soccer becomes more culturally ingrained and accepted by native North Americans, the quality will go up.

For now, I enjoy it for what it is, just like any fan of a lower level European side does. I think part of the problem is that a) North Americans aren't used to having a professional sports league that isn't the best in the world at it's sport, and b) most European people don't see North America as a legitimate soccer country, so the fact that we even have a pro league probably raises some hackles.

- Scott
    This the key hurdle that MLS faces in trying to develop their brand of football as a mainstream professional sport in North America. How many of us have friends and colleagues that follow European football religiously yet they refuse to give TFC or MLS a legitimate chance...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    a) North Americans aren't used to having a professional sports league that isn't the best in the world at it's sport...
    not entirely true.

Just look at how many people watch and follow college football and NCAA basketball. Sure they still have the NFL and NBA, but thousands and thousands of people still go to watch and cheer on lower division teams. Just because they aren't professional and the best in the world doesn't mean that people don't care about the lower teams.

^ this is college ball.

so is this \/

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    not entirely true.

Just look at how many people watch and follow college football and NCAA basketball. Sure they still have the NFL and NBA, but thousands and thousands of people still go to watch and cheer on lower division teams. Just because they aren't professional and the best in the world doesn't mean that people don't care about the lower teams.

^ this is college ball.

so is this \/

As I'm sure you know, collegiate sports are a unique example, and hence a bad one in this context. College basketball and football games are comprised primarily of students and alumni of those schools. The fact that they are school teams is why they are so popular.

Look at the NBA D-League, or the various A/AA/AAA baseball leagues, or the myriad of semi-pro or pro football leagues (NAFL, UFL, XFL, etc.).

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    not entirely true.

^ this is college ball.

so is this \/

This is a valid point of reference but keep in mind that the NCAA acts as a feeder league for the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL; the top levels of professional Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey worldwide. If the top levels of those sports were played in Europe I wonder if the NCAA would be as popular as it is today...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 11-01-2010 at 11:48 AM.