Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    It's theoretically possible, but I'm going to bet against MLSE dropping $12 million on DPs.
    I'm going to bet against TFC having two guys of their calibre fall into their lap in the first place. New York City benefits from being a huge international brand.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what it would mean to have him in a leadership position.

One interesting thing is that, from the outside, Klinsmann has repeated criticized the US system because it doesn't have enough hungry street kids in it - kids in North America all come through organized leagues that you pay to play in, and, to him, it shows on the field. No one would disagree. But given the cap, MLS is kind of stuck with NCAA players as the backbone of the system.

But, as a for instance, Klinsy might have the ability to open the door for the kind of relationships that the Galaxy and Dallas have in South America.

Problem is, executing that stuff is really hard work. You have to personally spend lots of time down there, and maybe have someone you trust down there permanently, to make it work.

Does Klinsy have those relationships in place, so that he could get some follow through after he has flown down and made introductions? Will he spend the time on the follow through to make it happen?

Put another way, whatever course he follows, is he willing to roll up up sleeves and commit himself and his reputation to this? Or will he just dabble from California?

That's the $64K question. It's why I'm rooting for this to be strictly a consulting gig, for now. Let's get to know each other better.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE drops 12 million wiping Dion Phaneufs ass.

If they don't have 12 million to spend on us, we need new owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They also get more money from tics. Like shakes said, the big players don't want to come here. It is a nice city, but its no new York or LA. Hell Montreal could even get some DPs from the French league before we attract a good DP here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post

Of course they have it, but (from their perspective) why would they spend it when they don't need to? I'm sure that they'll look to bring in a big name DP ($2-3 million) but if you think that they're going to bring in two guys in the $5-6 million range then this is going to be a disappointing off season for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. The Leafs have at least 10x the revenues of TFC.

(I don't even know why I'm responding to this inane statement. I've got to find something else to do. See ya.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    They also get more money from tics. Like shakes said, the big players don't want to come here. It is a nice city, but its no new York or LA. Hell Montreal could even get some DPs from the French league before we attract a good DP here.
    That's a good point too. Montreal has a unique relationship with France, and for a French player reaching the end of his world-class days, Montreal offers one last big payday, in one of the only other French speaking areas in the world with a professional soccer team that offers players big salaries like that.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, that's the problem. We may have the biggest ownership group in the league, but in reality, we also have the one that probably cares the least about the squad.

You shouldn't be FORCED to spend 12 Million on your team, you should WANT to spend it. I mean, is the current structure correct? They have an enormous amount of money, but only spend it when we, the fans, are pissed. A good, winning ownership group should constantly be looking to buy players of the highest quality possible.

They shouldn't spend money because people are pissed off, and thus damage control is necessary. They should spend money on this squad because they have it and it will make the team better. This is exactly what I'm talking about, in terms of the fundamental difference between our team and every other team in the league. If FC Dallas had the money we have, you can bet your ass they'd spend it on FC Dallas. We have been blessed with an incredibly wealthy ownership group, yet cursed by the same group, who doesn't go out and look for opportunities to better their product. That, my friends, is what it ultimately comes down to.

There is absolutely no reason you cannot sign the likes of Raul or Van Nistelrooy, even if they JUST signed contracts with their teams. MLSE has hundreds of millions of dollars, and if you knock on Schalke's door, and leave them a nice, 40 million dollar cheque, as well as offering to pay some or all the break clause fee, you can bet Shalke would at least consider the possibility. Instead, our morons upstairs look at their humongous bank accounts and laugh with greed, only signing players like JDG and Mista. These are not good enough, especially for MLSE.
    Last edited by ArmenJBX; 10-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    That's a good point too. Montreal has a unique relationship with France, and for a French player reaching the end of his world-class days, Montreal offers one last big payday, in one of the only other French speaking areas in the world with a professional soccer team that offers players big salaries like that.

- Scott
    Exactly. Montreal, when they reach the MLS, will be the first place that fading French stars go. If they are willing to put out the money, they can get players of the same quality as LA or NY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a somewhat valid point, but I'm not sure if language is a major barrier...most top French players end up in England, Spain, Italy etc. I'm sure that they'd prefer to play in a French-speaking city, but I think at the end of the day money talks and if Kansas City offer more money than Montreal then they'll be happy to adapt to life in Missouri.

In contradiction to my own point, Montreal is the most European city in North America and could just as easily appeal to Italians (huge Italian community there, Italian owners) or any other non-English speaking European who want to live somewhere that's a little less foreign (than say, Kansas City).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good, winning ownership group should constantly be looking to buy players of the highest quality possible.
    But that's not what we have. We have an investment group looking for a return on their investment. They'll spend $12 million if it will generate a return of $12m+, but they won't spend $1000 to "win" if winning doesn't offer a return on their investment (it does of course, I'm just using an absurd example to illustrate the point).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Forrest just said on Soccer Central that these guys have expressed interest in TFC... guess Klinsy will be interviewing some of them:

roberto donadoni
    franco baresi
    iain dowie
    carlos quieroz

Forrest also said Klinsmann will not be relocating permanently, so he's not going to be more than a consultant.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-30-2010 at 01:56 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guelphguy1965 View Post
    Once again excellent timing with 'big news' . MLSE is a mster of coming up with big announcement just before renewal time.
    Well renewal time just finished last Monday,this was more like "for all of you that did not renew" from your beloved ML$E.

If they did announce this before Oct22 many people here would comment how they did it before renewal due date just to get more sales.

However this is what Klinsman did during his time as Galaxy consultant.

In his consultant role as Galaxy Technical Advisor, Klinsmann will spend significant time on site at The Home Depot Center, home of the club, through the 2004 season. He will attend and participate in evaluation and planning sessions, coaches meetings, training sessions, and individual player meetings in order to provide Galaxy coaches and players with insights gained from his successful experiences at the highest levels of international soccer.“

In addition to providing services directly to the Galaxy coaching staff and players, SoccerSolutions, under Klinsmann’s direction, will also be engaged by the team for assistance with international player exchanges, exhibition games with foreign clubs, overseas training opportunities, and other international matters.
    I do expect something similar to be with TFC too.
    Last edited by denime; 10-30-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not saying they should they should wait for the search. I am questioning the timing of announcement.

How long would you like them to wait, before they start the search for new management?

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received a letter(one day before announcement) telling me I can buy more seasont tickets later. Very interesting.I am just a pessimist I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    iain dowie
    Oh God, please no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    It's theoretically possible, but I'm going to bet against MLSE dropping $12 million on DPs.
    I'd like to see us do well without DPs and build the team around our stars right now that will compliment them and when there are more people out of contract come July, that is when we put the finishing pieces together - NYRB did that real well this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is absolutely no reason you cannot sign the likes of Raul or Van Nistelrooy, even if they JUST signed contracts with their teams. MLSE has hundreds of millions of dollars, and if you knock on Schalke's door, and leave them a nice, 40 million dollar cheque, as well as offering to pay some or all the break clause fee, you can bet Shalke would at least consider the possibility.
    If someone were to offer Schalke 40 million dollars then they would bite their hand off, however the person offering it would probably be put in an insane asylum soon after.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well we can't sign them normally, because apparently no one wants to play here, so in order to get top talent, we gotta spend the dough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doesn't the mls have a no transfer fee paid policy?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way...

Seriously?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty sure its part of their "being financially responsible"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has definitely allowed transfer fees for players before. There's a bunch of info on Google about previous transfer fees. Not sure how those fees are paid & counted against the cap -- don't they have to be paid from allocation money?

There's also a quote from earlier this year, from MLS VP Durbin, that transfer fees specifically CAN be paid for DPs. What I don't know: since most of the DP salary is paid outside of cap, can part/all of a DP transfer fee also be paid w/o using up cap or allocation money??? http://www.nypostonline.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/mls_todd_durbin_talks_dps_reserve_SXlB7DkPRP6AAEVC GGqPQM
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-30-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iain Dowie? Threw up when I saw that. I'd rather have Preki and Mo Johnston back. No proven success and all he does well is Powerpoint presentations (that's apparently how he got the Charlton job when Curbishley left).
    Last edited by JamboAl; 10-31-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerry Dobson article Dobson on TFC:The Candidates

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/...on_candidates/

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh...man alive. Best thing I've read all night. It's funny because it's so damn true.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Jeff View Post
    Oh God, please no.
    +1...
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    MLS has definitely allowed transfer fees for players before. There's a bunch of info on Google about previous transfer fees. Not sure how those fees are paid & counted against the cap -- don't they have to be paid from allocation money?

There's also a quote from earlier this year, from MLS VP Durbin, that transfer fees specifically CAN be paid for DPs. What I don't know: since most of the DP salary is paid outside of cap, can part/all of a DP transfer fee also be paid w/o using up cap or allocation money??? http://www.nypostonline.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/mls_todd_durbin_talks_dps_reserve_SXlB7DkPRP6AAEVC GGqPQM
    Man I wish this league would simplify some of their rules. No one seems to understand the transfer fee (you get 5 different stories from 5 different people). Also, that article suggests that there was a transfer fee for Henry, but I thought I remember reading he was let go for free??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No. The Leafs have at least 10x the revenues of TFC.

(I don't even know why I'm responding to this inane statement. I've got to find something else to do. See ya.)
    If folk got you down, I recommend writing, video games and pot.

Best time-killers of all time. Even beats marriage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS has a no-transfer fee policy, but like all of their rules they're subject to change on a whim.