Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    I know that Seattle has had a better winning record than us, all I am saying is if they were out the playoffs most Seattle fans would still go and show there passion for their club.
    LMAO!! Surely you jest....They be just as pissed as we are if they had scumbags likes MLSE as owners....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think people are overreacting to what Garber said. He came up here, I'm guessing, because he's seriously worried and was trying to say nice things about the people here.

It just makes everyone here look mad, impossible to please, and spiteful.

My $0.02.
    Yes, but MLS and MLSE are partners in TFC and the MLS Cup game isn't being sold the same way here as it was in Seattle, so MLS isn't treating all the partners the same.

Do you think MLSE had to clear their plan with MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Garber can shove his $3mil/yr contract up his ass. (I don't actually mean that, but I have been waiting for someone to say it)

What I actually think is:

You would think he would have had some influence like FIFA did with South Korea in 02...catch my drift

It was quite the opposite

I can't count the number of times I felt the ref was playing footsies with the other team. I made a big long angry post about the refereeing in this league and how we get the short end of the stick about a month ago, which was some how moved into a post game discussion for whatever stupid reason...i am not saying we would have made the playoffs, but we probably lost net 7 or 8 points this season on ghost calls etc.

Had we been closer in the race at the beginning of October, who knows what could have happened (probably same last game disappointment)
    I think you're on to something....Haven't seen the stats from this year, but for years 1-3 didn't we have the most penalties and fouls called against us, and the least penalties given (or very close to it)...as long as all the refs are American we'll NEVER be given a fair shake in this league...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This is a successful market that has helped truly grow the credibility of this league globally," he said. "When we sit and talk about a U.S. World Cup bid (in 2022), we're going to sit and talk about why America is a soccer nation. And we're showing pictures of BMO Field. We're showing pictures of the Red Patch Boys."
    Except BMO Field is in Canada and those TFC supporters are Canadian, you thick fuck!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    You would think he would have had some influence like FIFA did with South Korea in 02...catch my drift

It was quite the opposite
    MLS has no control over the refs, which are appointed by US Soccer and the CSA as part of their arrangement to sanction the league.

You don't think the Don has done anything for us? What about the mystery of Stefan Frei being left as a Generation Adidas player that doesn't count against the cap, even though every GA player in the past with his playing time would have "graduated."

Our problem is that Mo was so incompetent, he couldn't make good use of the cap space opened up by that move (he used it to sign Mista).

Don't take Don's public statements seriously. Every ownership group that bids on a franchise is "amazing." As DichioTFC has pointed out, every city has "great support." I'm pretty sure he's here because he is concerned about how ML$E has mismanaged the MLS Cup seat sales process, and is trying to work with them on solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    i'd be curious to know what Garber is saying behind the scenes.
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure what he says in private will be quite different than what he says in public.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-20-2010 at 07:53 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    I think it's funny. The MLS seems to understand more than TFC what's going on here. And Garber sees that they will be punished for TFC's mistakes. But that makes sense as we (fans) have been punished for every misktake TFC has ever made. The team just pushes all its burdens onto us, so this one we'll push one step further. I may end up going to the game, but queitly no doubt, and wearing green. Should be interesting.

Also could someone change the thread title. Implorer sounds like something from inner space.
    good idea Matt!

Don isn't our friend. if he's worried about us and our actions it's for same reason ML$E is, MONEY!

I don't have a ticket, but if I did I'd either boycott or do as Matt is suggesting.

earlier in the thread someone said something about going to the game and being a good supporter. the reason that we are doing this is because we are good supporters. we want what's better for our team and for football in Toronto.
    Last edited by Belfast_Boy; 10-20-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fascinating that the Don suddenly materialized in town.

I just don't see any point in directing anger at the MLS Cup game. Who really has a beef with MLS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Garber is our ally.

He can put the pressure on Anselmi & Co. to keep us happy.

Don't think that he doesn't care about what we think. We mean a lot to the league and its credibility.

I'm sure Tom has already had some uncomfortable conversations with him, already.
    Agreed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber just wants a full house for the MLS Cup. He doesn't give a toss about anything else.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    ... we must all choose who we are attacking.
    its a double edged sword and it all comes down to wanting to slay the ml$e dragron and not the MLS entity...

I agree in a certain way with Garber we can't fuck up the mls final.
    But we are all so heart broken that we dare to slay not only ml$e but also the mls..
    Glad that garber sees it not as a spite to the league but as a pitch fork thrown straight at our local owners.
    ... the MLS does not deserve our backlash becuase our owners are total shitheads..
    Oh poor, poor, poor mls - I feel so sorry for them. sniff, lets give them a group hug - fuckin not! Applying pressure to mls is working - we will probably get a better package offer yet from ml$e - If so, you can probably thank Don Garber for picking up the phone and explaining to these ml$e dweebs the facts of life. If we don't get a better package then I don't renew and then why would I give a flying fart if MLS gets hit in the crossfire - I have already been bent over and been hosed by the "darling" of the league... Revenge is a dish best eaten cold - and it is going to be very cold on November 21st... and I am hungry!

Taking out the MLS Cup is the final move on this chess board, but it is Tommy A's turn right now... this could move in a more postive direction if he does something significant - Up to you Tommy....

"There is only one thing worse than a spurned woman - a spurned Toronto FC Fan!!!!!!"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber said that one of the mistakes was raising ticket prices, which have almost doubled since the club's first season.
    “They made a mistake,” and the team is “working to address it,” he said.
    The Don's got my respect here.

Although its not a direct quote, note he didn't say that one of the mistakes was including the CCL tickets in the ST package. It was raising prices.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...ss-garber-says

Don't kid yourself. The Don realizes how important Toronto supporters and fans are, even if greedy ML$E can't see beyond short-term $$$. He doesn't want to kill the goose.

As the banner said some seasons back, Beckham didn't save MLS, we did.

steps are being taken to address the on-field and off-field misplays.
    I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" in those uncomfortable meetings he's holding with ML$E brass.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-20-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if anyone here believes that don garber isn't holding a meeting with MLSE execs saying, "look, we have the potential for the BIGGEST MLS FINAL YET between new york and LA, i don't care what you do, just fill the fucking seats! i'll do my best, now you do yours"

then you're fucking kidding yourself. this man is a politician, yeah, but he's also a businessman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Don's got my respect here.

Although its not a direct quote, note he didn't say that one of the mistakes was including the CCL tickets in the ST package. It was raising prices.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...ss-garber-says

Don't kid yourself. The Don realizes how important Toronto supporters and fans are, even if greedy ML$E can't see beyond short-term $$$. He doesn't want to kill the goose.

As the banner said some seasons back, Beckham didn't save MLS, we did.

I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" in those uncomfortable meetings he's holding with ML$E brass.

He gets half a point for platitudes - he doesn't get respect until he actually gets something done.

And yeah, I'd like to hear that conversation, too, because MLS had a lot to do with the "mis-steps" of TFC, from recommending the GM to not requiring that any more front office personel be hired. Make no mistake, TFC was run by MLS, even last week MLSE was still saying they'd be asking the league to help them find a new GM (though since then, it's true, the talk has all been about the mystery consultants).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    He gets half a point for platitudes - he doesn't get respect until he actually gets something done.
    Here here!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    if anyone here believes that don garber isn't holding a meeting with MLSE execs saying, "look, we have the potential for the BIGGEST MLS FINAL YET between new york and LA, i don't care what you do, just fill the fucking seats! i'll do my best, now you do yours"

then you're fucking kidding yourself. this man is a politician, yeah, but he's also a businessman.
    Exactly. Imagine the "big game" on US TV, huge exposure, and the stadium half-empty!

MLS has majority ownership in all MLS clubs, including TFC. If ML$E screws up enough, they can force them to do the right thing.

That's why Don's conversations with Anselmi will carry a lot of weight.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hope the words "whatever you gotta do" get spoken at these meetings. Something like "whatever you gotta do, make the fans happy" is something that should have been on their minds from the beginning and MLSE has forgotten that they are actually catering to CUSTOMERS not hostages.

I think the time has come to have one single demand from the fans to MLSE. In my opinion, a reasonable compromise would be a price freeze for 3 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fascinating that the Don suddenly materialized in town.

I just don't see any point in directing anger at the MLS Cup game. Who really has a beef with MLS?
    my sentiments exactly

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I think the time has come to have one single demand from the fans to MLSE. In my opinion, a reasonable compromise would be a price freeze for 3 years.
    Seriously?

It's delusional to say that with everything that's transpired, it's reasonable to ask that they freeze prices for the next three years (by which time we could be in the final and have Didier Drogba and Frank fucking Lampard playing as our DPs, theoretically).

To cover the cost of inflation over that period, you'd have to hike prices at least a little each year or freeze years 1 and 2 and raise a lot in year 3.

Also, don't forget who owns the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    "This is a successful market that has helped truly grow the credibility of this league globally," he said. "When we sit and talk about a U.S. World Cup bid (in 2022), we're going to sit and talk about why America is a soccer nation. And we're showing pictures of BMO Field. We're showing pictures of the Red Patch Boys."

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=337974

Enjoy being a marketing tool?

I dont.

Fuck these idiots.
    So to illustrate 'why America is a soccer nation" for an American WC bid they're showing pictures of a Canadian team and Canadian supporters?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i posted this on a few CBC articles

a little history lesson for everyone here:

we were once given the all-star game. these tickets weren't included in our seasons ticket packages. MLSE said, "hey, you don't have to buy them, but if you want to buy them, you get first dibs!"

so we sold out the stadium.

this year MLSE said, "hey, we got you the cup game! we're going to increase your ticket price without any justification in the meantime. as for the cup, well, this time you don't have a choice!"

the problem that many of the season seat holders have is that this is being forced on them, and knowing that it'll lead to this becoming a standard practice on top of steadily increasing price freeze. let's look elsewhere in the league..

REAL SALT LAKE (MLS Champions 2009): SSH PRICE FREEZE
    NYRB (new stadium / 2 world class DPs / winning team): SSH PRICE FREEZE
    DC UNITED: SSH PRICE DECREASE
    SAN JOSE: SSH PRICE DECREASE (+ added free parking)

a potential boycott would be directed in attention to this. as for saying it would be meaningless as we already have paid for tickets, imagine turning on ANY final in a major league event and seeing the stadium half empty.

would you not question why that was?
    would you not feel embarrassed for the organization hosting it?
    yeah, well it's sort've like that.

i've got some bad news don.. ML$E shot themselves in the foot, which is kind've hard to do when they've already put their foot in their mouth.

you're throwing a facebook event, and everyone's attendance listed as "maybe". i think it's about time you look look into pressuring ML$E into making this a free-of-charge event for the dedicated fans they've robbed so hard as a thank you for sticking with us and being "the best fans in the league".

someone, anyone, show us that this isn't about the money!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but MLS and MLSE are partners in TFC and the MLS Cup game isn't being sold the same way here as it was in Seattle, so MLS isn't treating all the partners the same.
    Do you think MLSE had to clear their plan with MLS?
    I don't, because MLSE's plan was, and remains, inexplicable. There is no rational explanation for it. I mean, come on, there were at least 3,000 empty seats for the opener against Seattle. In April!

Based on what I have read in the posts here, MLSE have repeated absurdity after absurdity in defence of the price increase in the town halls. "Prices were too low historically" is my favorite. A close second is "it's only a dollar or two". Bundling the MLS Cup game compounds the insult.

If MLSE execs had asked anybody about this: Don Garber, or anyone else, it doesn't matter, they would have all said the same thing to them: wow, aren't you pushing the market way too hard with that plan?
    Last edited by ensco; 10-20-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    So to illustrate 'why America is a soccer nation" for an American WC bid they're showing pictures of a Canadian team and Canadian supporters?
    dont say anything let them do this

it will be entertaining to point out later

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Seriously?

It's delusional to say that with everything that's transpired, it's reasonable to ask that they freeze prices for the next three years (by which time we could be in the final and have Didier Drogba and Frank fucking Lampard playing as our DPs, theoretically).

To cover the cost of inflation over that period, you'd have to hike prices at least a little each year or freeze years 1 and 2 and raise a lot in year 3.

Also, don't forget who owns the team.

It's not delusional. The hiked prices 75-100% over 3 years, indicating inflation factors little in their pricing model.

There are people asking for free MLS Cup games, price rollbacks, member-only sections. Of all these demands, a price freeze is in fact the most reasonable and reachable by MLSE. There is no reason for MLSE to cry poor. They will still be making money. Something other owners wish they could be doing even now, 15 years into the league.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Big statements from someone who A. isn't an RPB member and B. has probably never volunteered to help the group or made a banner or waved a flag to align themselves as RPB.
    Ooooof! I think that one might have been a bit below the belt... Probably better to concentrate on MLSE here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLSE execs had asked anybody about this: Don Garber, or anyone else, it doesn't matter, they would have all said the same thing to them: wow, aren't you pushing the market way too hard with that plan?
    Yes, that's true, it's unbelievable the way they've treated this market, the way they haven't seemed to have noticed what's been going on this whole season how more and more people are just losing interest.

A lot of peple predicted a drop-off once the novelty wore off - that's to be expected in most things, really, but these guys seem to have been oblivious.

All season long there have been more and more seats empty for games. Many people around me were giving the team, "one more year" from the second season and this really was it. Adding the MLS Cup was the final push for anyone who was undecided about renewing.

It would be interesting to see how the renewals are really going. Town halls with the VP and now the commish is in town, hat in hand, begging, blowing sunshine?

And are single tickets for just the MLS Cup game even on sale yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maximo_rpd View Post
    Ooooof! I think that one might have been a bit below the belt... Probably better to concentrate on MLSE here...
    RPB, non-RPB... regardless.... what I DO know is that DichioTFC came off like a mega-douche with that comment

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that's true, it's unbelievable the way they've treated this market, the way they haven't seemed to have noticed what's been going on this whole season how more and more people are just losing interest.

A lot of peple predicted a drop-off once the novelty wore off - that's to be expected in most things, really, but these guys seem to have been oblivious.

All season long there have been more and more seats empty for games. Many people around me were giving the team, "one more year" from the second season and this really was it. Adding the MLS Cup was the final push for anyone who was undecided about renewing.

It would be interesting to see how the renewals are really going. Town halls with the VP and now the commish is in town, hat in hand, begging, blowing sunshine?

And are single tickets for just the MLS Cup game even on sale yet?
    They'd almost have to wait until after the renewals, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    They'd almost have to wait until after the renewals, no?

That must be why the panic is setting in. Renewals are way down and there isn't much time to market the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber is our ally.

He can put the pressure on Anselmi & Co. to keep us happy.

Don't think that he doesn't care about what we think. We mean a lot to the league and its credibility.

I'm sure Tom has already had some uncomfortable conversations with him, already.
    YES^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber should be imploring the fans of the qualifying teams to attend, and doing everything he can to ensure those fans have adequate transport and enough tickets that are in a designated area.

Imagine if they held the UEFA CL final at Old Trafford and then sold all the supporter seats to Manchester utd SSH, even though the final was between Inter Milan and Barcelona.

Would the Manchester Utd fans be blamed for poor attendance and not really providing an atmosphere?

Nope, Blatter would be hauled over the coals, thats what would happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet Garber and MLS wishes it had awarded this year's MLS Cup to New York instead of Toronto.

Imagine having the teams of the two biggest media markets in the U.S., Los Angeles and hometown New York, with names like Donovan, Beckham, Henry, playing for the championship in front of a probable sold out Red Bull Arena.

Now imagine these two same teams playing in BMO Field that is half empty due to the cynical greed created by ML$E, and how that would come across throughout North America.

Is it any wonder Garber's trying to give a rimjob to Toronto right now?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)