Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Garber "implores" attendance for MLS Cup Final

Are you fucking serious, Don?

Despite MLSE's best intentions to repair the damage, there is legitimate concern that TFC fans might continue to protest the club's failures on the field and the season ticket price hikes by opting to not attend the MLS Cup, the league's championship game, scheduled for Nov. 21 at BMO Field.

Garber sees the game as an opportunity for Toronto fans to show how much they support MLS and help it attain a higher level of credibility within the international soccer community.

"I am hoping, and in many ways imploring, that we can continue to count on them to help take this league to a higher level," the commissioner said.

Garber believes TFC fans will show up at the game and said he isn't too concerned about BMO Field being half empty for the league's championship contest.

"It doesn't keep me up at night more than other issues, but I certainly would be thinking of it if I was [MLSE]," Garber said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...#ixzz12qfnLO5A
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My favourite line on the prospect of poor attendance for the MLS Cup:

"It doesn't keep me up at night more than other issues, but I certainly would be thinking of it if I was [MLSE]," Garber said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey Don, we'd like to COUNT ON YOU TO NOT ALLOW US TO GET GOUGED ON PRICE AND PAYING FOR GAMES WE DON'T WANT TO GO TO.

p.s. you first Don......didn't think so

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Don, maybe instead of giving your buddies in Los Angeles, New York and Seattle all the attention, you give your cash cow up north a little attention too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don, its not you, its them. Nothing personal but I hope you hold them accountable if it bombs, that to me is the ultimate restitution. This too shall pass............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ML$E give a ticket a few beers and I will be there will all my drums.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope its 75% empty, just like price increases and the excuses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it back
    ML$E give me free season tickets and I will bring all my drums and will make sure that MLS Cup rocks, actually do you want to hire me? I need a permanent job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    Hey Don, maybe instead of giving your buddies in Los Angeles, New York and Seattle all the attention, you give your cash cow up north a little attention too.
    well he gave us the mls cup, that's quite the attention isn't it? blame ml$e.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anselmi to Garber:

"Don don't worry, just assume the position we've been taking for the past 4 seasons."

"I never lose any sleep…it's warm and dark."

"Trust me. Works every time."

Last edited by Toronto_Bhoy; 10-19-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This is a successful market that has helped truly grow the credibility of this league globally," he said. "When we sit and talk about a U.S. World Cup bid (in 2022), we're going to sit and talk about why America is a soccer nation. And we're showing pictures of BMO Field. We're showing pictures of the Red Patch Boys."

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=337974

Enjoy being a marketing tool?

I dont.

Fuck these idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    "This is a successful market that has helped truly grow the credibility of this league globally," he said. "When we sit and talk about a U.S. World Cup bid (in 2022), we're going to sit and talk about why America is a soccer nation. And we're showing pictures of BMO Field. We're showing pictures of the Red Patch Boys."

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=337974

Enjoy being a marketing tool?

I dont.

Fuck these idiots.
    shit I just read this, what a joke

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    "When we sit and talk about a U.S. World Cup bid (in 2022), we're going to sit and talk about why America is a soccer nation. And we're showing pictures of BMO Field."
    "Sorry, what's that Tom?

What do you mean BMO Field isn't in America? When the hell did you move it?"

Idiot.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What all this says to me is, we have people's attention.
    Garber knows how important us fans are, and Tom can't deny the need to keep us happy.
    Fingers crossed that we get some better treatment from our club in the coming year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow this is full of goodies:

Garber said the new teams can learn from a franchise that "wrote the book" on business operations and developing relationships with supporters.
    What I don't get is that for all the talk about wanting to be a credible league, wouldn't for us to buckle and "celebrate" two other teams play in our ground for the championship achieve the exact opposite of that? Garber is so stupid that he doesn't realize how shortsighted that is. I won't even get into his gratuitous use of the word "franchise" (yeah, I know its true).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber sees the game as an opportunity for Toronto fans to show how much they support MLS
    Uh, no!

I support TFC. Couldn't care less about MLS.

To me this shows a great lack of understanding of soccer support. Baseball fans will watch the World Series regardless of who's in it. Same with football fans and the Superbowl or hockey fans with the Stanley Cup finals. Soccer fans support their club, not the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole article nauseates me. I'm fucking tired of this team and the league in general.

Can't we make the International Forum open to everyone again? I miss my League One thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Jeff View Post
    This whole article nauseates me. I'm fucking tired of this team and the league in general.

Can't we make the International Forum open to everyone again? I miss my League One thread.
    For once in long time the blue side of Mersey and Manchester are above their red counterparts and no one on here can gloat about it.

Funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to stop being so negative about why were hosting the MLS Cup. If we were winning and going into the playoffs then we would love to be the hosts. Look at Seattle hosting last season's MLS Cup, even if they missed the playoffs they would still go. Let's show to all the other MLS supporters why were the best supported team in MLS. I plan to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    I think we need to stop being so negative about why were hosting the MLS Cup. If we were winning and going into the playoffs then we would love to be the hosts. Look at Seattle hosting last season's MLS Cup, even if they missed the playoffs they would still go. Let's show to all the other MLS supporters why were the best supported team in MLS. I plan to.
    That was a lot of us but give the facts I want to seat outside BMO and laugh at them and by the way Seattle is far better than us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that Seattle has had a better winning record than us, all I am saying is if they were out the playoffs most Seattle fans would still go and show there passion for their club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they have a brass band!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    We can't complain about not getting attention from the league - for the last four years Garber has been all over TFC like a fat kid on a fudge sundae.

We got the All Star Game and also the MLS cup in our first four years. Regardless of how the club is managed and how they sell tickets, we have definitely not been ignored by the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been keeping mum about all the ongoings lately however we must all choose who we are attacking.
    its a double edged sword and it all comes down to wanting to slay the ml$e dragron and not the MLS entity.
    If Ml$E got it right the first time we would not be fighting the MLS which we aren't .
    I agree in a certain way with Garber we can't fuck up the mls final.
    But we are all so heart broken that we dare to slay not only ml$e but also the mls..
    Glad that garber sees it not as a spite to the league but as a pitch fork thrown straight at our local owners.
    Garber knows that Toronto is a sports centric city and our devotion to the sport and league is immesurable.
    Garber as much of a prick he might seem is a true nice guy and This league is growing by strides and bounds only to get better in the future. the MLS does not deserve our backlash becuase our owners are total shitheads..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does the Cup game travel anyway... they should just let the team with the best season record host it or something or if it must travel put it in a city in between the two finalists..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that Seattle has had a better winning record than us, all I am saying is if they were out the playoffs most Seattle fans would still go and show there passion for their club.
    Good for them.

Didn't they get their tickets free in the package, or were they charged a mandatory $90 too?

Seattle got a big name in their first season, despite not needing one to sell tickets. They got a friendly against a big name team in their season seat package, and they made the playoffs both seasons.

In Tom's words 'Apples and Oranges'

Heathen

Why don't you marry Seattle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Why does the Cup game travel anyway... they should just let the team with the best season record host it or something or if it must travel put it in a city in between the two finalists..
    Totally agree!! With more and more teams in their own stadiums where they control the dates this should happen. Either the higher seed hosts a single game final or have a two leg final home and away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fascinating that the Don suddenly materialized in town.

I just don't see any point in directing anger at the MLS Cup game. Who really has a beef with MLS?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber is our ally.

He can put the pressure on Anselmi & Co. to keep us happy.

Don't think that he doesn't care about what we think. We mean a lot to the league and its credibility.

I'm sure Tom has already had some uncomfortable conversations with him, already.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto