Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe that this worked out to this level.

great job everyone.

rr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking to a Crew fan earlier today, he mentioned that the "silence was deafening." The Crew fans took notice of what we're doing and were pretty appreciative / supportive of what we were trying to do.

He didn't notice the green too much (I guess it was one of those "you had to be there" type of things) but the silence was very apparent to me watching on CBC and to Crew fans.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    That, and the fact that there are RPB all over the stadium, not just 112. It was very strange sitting and not singing....caught myself shouting at Hesmer a few times though....couldn't help it.
    ^ what is interesting is that although we are a "small minority" in relation to the 21,000 fans, we (along with NEE) were able to affect the mood of the majority.

I do think that we, as a collective, need to keep out on top of this and ensure that the underlying issues stay the underlying issues.

The media has picked it up and Anselmi is trying to spin this as simply a "package" issue. They shouldn't have included some games in the package. If that becomes THE issue, we've lost and they win. They know they will sell us those games next year if they qualify.

Anselmi is also spinning it as a "winning fixes everything" approach. If they had better performance, we wouldn't be pissed off about prices. Apparently, we'd gladly line up to drop our renewal $$$ in their pockets. Oh, and probably pay a little extra for playoffs too... just like their other sports "properties."

This is about being the highest priced ticket in all of MLS in the majority of sections. This is the about the future of soccer in Toronto if the average fan is priced out.

This is about a failed reporting structure that includes Anselmi and Peddie for some God unknown reason as the final decision points within the Club. Didn't work with the Leafs, Raptors and our 4 seasons here.

Stay focused on those issues. Counter the spin. Anselmi and MLSE own media outlets. They have significant influence over others. Don't let this become a story about 2 games in a package or upset over performance.

It is much, much more than that.
    Last edited by Pookie; 10-17-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ what is interesting is that although we are a "small minority" in relation to the 21,000 fans, we (along with NEE) were able to affect the mood of the majority.

I do think that we, as a collective, need to keep out on top of this and ensure that the underlying issues stay the underlying issues.

The media has picked it up and Anselmi is trying to spin this as simply a "package" issue. They shouldn't have included some games in the package. If that becomes THE issue, we've lost and they win. They know they will sell us those games next year if they qualify.

Anselmi is also spinning it as a "winning fixes everything" approach. If they had better performance, we wouldn't be pissed off about prices. Apparently, we'd gladly line up to drop our renewal $$$ in their pockets. Oh, and probably pay a little extra for playoffs too... just like their other sports "properties."

This is about being the highest priced ticket in all of MLS in the majority of sections. This is the about the future of soccer in Toronto if the average fan is priced out.

This is about a failed reporting structure that includes Anselmi and Peddie for some God unknown reason as the final decision points within the Club. Didn't work with the Leafs, Raptors and our 4 seasons here.

Stay focused on those issues. Counter the spin. Anselmi and MLSE own media outlets. They have significant influence over others. Don't let this become a story about 2 games in a package or upset over performance.

It is much, much more than that.
    Post of the day. Very well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we were at the top of 111 which is usually fairly quiet but still has some atmosphere. with RPB quiet, it was dead. total and complete lack of anything. could not hear NEE at all, although some have pointed out that they were singing. TRN drums were faint but audible.
    yesterday was a pretty crazy game, yet without the usual fun and games in stands, i really thought i could have watched it at home. THE ONFIELD PRODUCT WITHOUT STADIUM ATMOSPHERE IS NOT WORTH THE TRIP TO T.O.
    If the protest was to show the F.O. what their product looks/sounds like without the SG's, it was without a doubt 100% effective.

Having said that, if I'm the front office, I'm thinking "wow, that was terrible, i can't wait till this blows over and they start the whole chanting/drumming/singing thing again"

To be truly, truly, effective, IMO, even if you renew, you need to be doing the exact same thing until the front office blinks first. Otherwise, really, you/we will be having 1 game protests every year. Are you looking for a first round black eye for MLSE, or a 10 round TKO for the SG's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how TFC sponsors feel with all the negative press now. Do you want your product associated with a team that is ripping people off? Maybe i'd buy a Kia if they weren't in a partnership with an organization that's fisting me in the ass. Does Purolator want the image of people tossing their game balls out of the stadium? Maybe Broil King is just like TFC, overpriced piece of shit hiding behind some image of greatness. Maybe it's time to start boycotting the sponsors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    I wonder how TFC sponsors feel with all the negative press now. Do you want your product associated with a team that is ripping people off? Maybe i'd buy a Kia if they weren't in a partnership with an organization that's fisting me in the ass. Does Purolator want the image of people tossing their game balls out of the stadium? Maybe Broil King is just like TFC, overpriced piece of shit hiding behind some image of greatness. Maybe it's time to start boycotting the sponsors.
    for the record, and off topic - apologies - they sent securtiy out to take that ball back from the guy who was almost hit in the head with it when it came over the wall. he thought he had a souvenir until they came running out after it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think boycotting sponsors is a valid option, but just not right now. If we're still having the same problems early next season as we are right now, we can definitely use that tactic.

Let's not play our entire hand at once

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    To be truly, truly, effective, IMO, even if you renew, you need to be doing the exact same thing until the front office blinks first. Otherwise, really, you/we will be having 1 game protests every year. Are you looking for a first round black eye for MLSE, or a 10 round TKO for the SG's?
    Bang on!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think will happen when the Bank of Montreal realizes the stadium was actually named after our first coach - Bastard MO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could hear U-Sector.

The green was less prominent than the Red Seats.

The focus on TV was on Anselmi interviews.

All in all, it may have pissed off PB, but on TV it was not overly effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    ^ I think boycotting sponsors is a valid option, but just not right now. If we're still having the same problems early next season as we are right now, we can definitely use that tactic.

Let's not play our entire hand at once
    Entire hand? I'm sorry but when has boycotting Unico Pasta Sauce sent a msg to MLSE? Focus on the people who own the team, and boycott the product.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't matter if the protest wasn't perfect. It was good enough.

It was especially more than good enough to validate the very significant media coverage being given to the story.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    we were at the top of 111 which is usually fairly quiet but still has some atmosphere. with RPB quiet, it was dead. total and complete lack of anything. could not hear NEE at all, although some have pointed out that they were singing. TRN drums were faint but audible.
    yesterday was a pretty crazy game, yet without the usual fun and games in stands, i really thought i could have watched it at home. THE ONFIELD PRODUCT WITHOUT STADIUM ATMOSPHERE IS NOT WORTH THE TRIP TO T.O.
    If the protest was to show the F.O. what their product looks/sounds like without the SG's, it was without a doubt 100% effective.

Having said that, if I'm the front office, I'm thinking "wow, that was terrible, i can't wait till this blows over and they start the whole chanting/drumming/singing thing again"

No. NEE was not chanting. Whoever told you that, has no clue what they're talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It doesn't matter if the protest wasn't perfect. It was good enough.

It was especially more than good enough to validate the very significant media coverage being given to the story.
    Didn't say it was inadequate for it's purpose. Was merely stating the atmosphere on TV was not overly dead. You could hear Dichio, you could hear some of the different chants U-Sec did...stadiums emptiness definitely was visible though.

Fight for your right. To not go.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Simmons gives his thumb up for the protest.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/dave_hodge/?id=337745
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    Steve Simmons gives his thumb up for the protest.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/dave_hodge/?id=337745
    "They aren't willing to overpay for losing anymore."

Are they?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remeber back when bmo renewed the shirt sponsorship in july, the bmo marketing woman talking about how great it is to go to a game and see the energy and everyone happily wearing their bmo jerseys, and so on and so forth.

wonder what they're thinking now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think the SG's nor Anselmi have any idea of what the next step is until October 22nd rolls by.

i'm guessing that most are still renewing their seats, although perhaps dropping a few. this protest will only be effective if it turns out that renewals drop because people realize that the loud apes aren't really loud apes and will not necessarily keep up the happy party atmosphere.

you're really going to have to hope that renewals drop by what some are expecting. or anselmi will look correct in saying that it's a package issue.

so. i ask, what will you be doing if renewals/new sth's are still pretty high, for example, say around 70-80% of the season seats sold by the 22nd. will this silence/banner storm continue into next season? what if major moves are made to better the team in the offseason? will this all be forgotten then? i seem to think it will, and april will look quite sunny in supporters sections.

i hope for more empty seats next year. it's the only real way to hurt a business, don't invest, and hope that most follow suit. the only thing you'd have to worry about then is the team folding i suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    "They aren't willing to overpay for losing anymore."

Are they?
    i agree.... seats will be sold. it's more like "they aren't happy with the prices, but aren't willing to lose their seats".

i think the silence/protest is great that it got attention, but where does it go from here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    I remeber back when bmo renewed the shirt sponsorship in july, the bmo marketing woman talking about how great it is to go to a game and see the energy and everyone happily wearing their bmo jerseys, and so on and so forth.

1) How great it is to have the stadium named after them

That is all.

BMO has millions of customers...in various aspects of finance...in various areas of the Country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    i agree.... seats will be sold. it's more like "they aren't happy with the prices, but aren't willing to lose their seats".

i think the silence/protest is great that it got attention, but where does it go from here?
    Can't diasgree with you bro. (Great to see you back!)

Attention. Success.

Action. Stay on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post

this negative press isn't much. having unhappy fans doesn't mean companies don't like seeing their logos along the sidelines or on the jerseys.

if we were a team of molesters, then i can see sponsors actually worrying.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree. I think that the protest is effective, despite CBC doing their best to hide it (they had the mikes turned up so loud, you could hear the players).

(1) Media outlets all over are carrying the story

(2) If TFC is no longer a "feel good" story, you can be certain that sponsors will be asking uncomfortable questions

(3) I would't be surprised in Don Garber gives Anselmi a call to find out what is going on in their "model" franchise.

All of this increases the pressure on Anselmi to fix things, which is exactly what we want.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Disagree. I think that the protest is effective, despite CBC doing their best to hide it (they had the mikes turned up so loud, you could hear the players).

(1) Media outlets all over are carrying the story

(2) If TFC is no longer a "feel good" story, you can be certain that sponsors will be asking uncomfortable questions

(3) I would't be surprised in Don Garber gives Anselmi a call to find out what is going on in their "model" franchise.

All of this increases the pressure on Anselmi to fix things, which is exactly what we want.
    CBC covered it like nobodies business.

If TFC no longer becomes a feelgood story, you can expect it to be in the Metro newspaper and that's about it.

You can't have a point that involves a thought about Don Garber, doesn't make it a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    If TFC no longer becomes a feelgood story, you can expect it to be in the Metro newspaper and that's about it.
    Or a two page spread in todays Toronto Star or some small rag called the New York Times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Or a two page spread in todays Toronto Star or some small rag called the New York Times.
    Are they not a feelgood story still?

Very good job of taking action at half of a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    so. i ask, what will you be doing if renewals/new sth's are still pretty high, for example, say around 70-80% of the season seats sold by the 22nd.
    If 80% ends up being the renewal rate then the front office will be near panic mode. 80% of 16,000 is 12,880. So they would need 3,200 new STH to catch up to previous years levels. Then add in the new 2,000 STH they want to add this year. If they were to get to their desired 18,000 STH number they would end up with an almost empty waiting list. They would need 5,200 new fans to get to 18,000.

Of course that all depends on the renewal rate being 80%. The higher it goes the less the front office cares.

As for what we do if the number ends up higher. Who knows. If the people in the expensive seats are ready to renew regardless of cost I don't think we can win. We all know ML$E only cares about money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the escalation of this if things dont improve should be to sponsors and the pension fund...MLSE will sell TFC before you can blink if it gets to that...the last thing the Teachers want is poor publicity in how their investments and revenue is on the back of screwing Ontario residents, treating them unfairly bla bla...these idiots and I use that term loosely because they are more...better fix this quick