Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Could you imagine 1 ineffective Argentine? I can.

The Canadians are not to blame. For every effective player we've found, there have been 5 to 10 ineffective ones.

The Canadians on this team this year were by and large above the average.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHA! Dude you're stary eyed optimism and refusal to see the facts makes you a fucking hilarious, and I mean HILARIOUS screen name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JamboAl View Post
    This season didn't suck because we have too many Canadians. This season sucked because of all the points that have been raised in the various threads. Sure, one of the Canadians (JDG) didn't play as well as we wanted but remember when all of us were collectively falling head over heels for TFC to sign him.

Unfortunately, talented Canadians who could add something to TFC are playing for clubs like PSV, Manisaspor or Norwich City...and they are better off playing in Europe.
    You are confusing my quote for Kdot's. I didn't say this season sucked because of Canadians at any point, and I agree that 3 Canadians on this team (Dero, Nana and Cann) are amongst the best players and most valuable to the team.

However, it's been 4 years of signing shitty underperforming Canadians, it's been 4 years of experiments to come up with these 3 guys. Serioux I also thought was a solid Canadian player but we got rid of him for a bag of soccer balls in the end.

When you look at how many Canadians have played on this team in 4 years it really doesn't bode well for them. They have an awful track record if you ask me.

If a good Canadian comes around named Simeon Jackson then yeah, of course take him. But besides that, there aren't many Canadians in the world that I would want on TFC. I would consider Josh Simpson or Klukowski because they would fill a role that we desperately need, unfortunately they are probably too expensive for the MLS salary cap.

This team doens't need more Canadians. This team needs a coach, some wide midfielders, full backs and central midfielders, period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to start the "Next Year I Want Better Players" thread.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our team has, will and should be a starting point and end game for Canadians. The young Canadian talent coming up can do the same job for less than a journeyman i don't give a shit about.

Anyone that has heard of other Toronto franchises may see the wisdom in moving young up and coming Canadian talent on elsewhere to maintain value for their dollar since "Hometown boys" have the tendency to get a little too comfortable in their positions.

Don't over pay Canadians. If they aren't performing let them go. It's their legacy. IF they want to retire here they have to earn it still.

Btw great timing on shitting on our National squad...

Ukraine 2, Canada 2
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 10-18-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I'm going to start the "Next Year I Want Better Players" thread.
    So do it. I don't expect you to care about Canadian development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Our team has, will and should be a starting point and end game for Canadians. The young Canadian talent coming up can do the same job for less than a journeyman i don't give a shit about.

Anyone that has heard of other Toronto franchises may see the wisdom in moving young up and coming Canadian talent on elsewhere to maintain value for their dollar since "Hometown boys" have tendancy the to get a little too comfortable in their positions.

Don't over pay Canadians. If they aren't performing let them go. It's their legacy. IF they want to retire here they have to earn it still.

Btw great timing on shitting on our National squad...

Ukraine 2, Canada 2
    +1 Million especially the last part of this, Pete!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Not even comparable.

Santos was far more effective with a steaming pile of crap around him. The difference between Santos and Vitti is that one created play and the other pretended to create play.
    1 is more physical than the other
    1 had an extra year of experience in the MLS

Vitti had as many goals as Conor Casey in his first year in the MLS...took Casey 3 years to become a prolific scorer in the MLS...there is a learning curve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    You are confusing my quote for Kdot's. I didn't say this season sucked because of Canadians at any point, and I agree that 3 Canadians on this team (Dero, Nana and Cann) are amongst the best players and most valuable to the team.

However, it's been 4 years of signing shitty underperforming Canadians, it's been 4 years of experiments to come up with these 3 guys. Serioux I also thought was a solid Canadian player but we got rid of him for a bag of soccer balls in the end.

When you look at how many Canadians have played on this team in 4 years it really doesn't bode well for them. They have an awful track record if you ask me.

If a good Canadian comes around named Simeon Jackson then yeah, of course take him. But besides that, there aren't many Canadians in the world that I would want on TFC. I would consider Josh Simpson or Klukowski because they would fill a role that we desperately need, unfortunately they are probably too expensive for the MLS salary cap.

This team doens't need more Canadians. This team needs a coach, some wide midfielders, full backs and central midfielders, period.
    When you look at how many players in general have played on this team in 4 years, it doesn't bode well for anyone.

Yes, it doesn't need more Canadians. The team needs more young Canadians who have the drive to succeed like Lindsay, and more like him will be coming up in the future. What you people don't get is that is where the success of this team will come from, the young boys in and around the GTA looking to make a name for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we pay more for a Canadian than someone else who is better than no chance in hell.

I understand if we develop the talent than yes we must keep our talented youngster. TFC job is not to help develop CMNT players if we do it is a bonus. TFC is suppsoe to be avbout winning and signing Canadians just for the sake of them being Canadian is a joke. This is not a retirement stop for player who have played for the CMNT either, if they can't contribute the way another player can who is not Canadian, then why the hell would we sign them?

That is like saying the Impact is only going to sign french sepaking players> why limit who we can sign. I want the best players possible for our team nothing less

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    When you look at how many players in general have played on this team in 4 years, it doesn't bode well for anyone.

Yes, it doesn't need more Canadians. The team needs more young Canadians who have the drive to succeed like Lindsay, and more like him will be coming up in the future. What you people don't get is that is where the success of this team will come from, the young boys in and around the GTA looking to make a name for themselves.
    I completely disagree that the success of this team will come from the Academy. Come on, that is a very small piece of the puzzle. No team in the world depends on their Academy enough to say something like that. At the most we'll have two Academy players on this team at any given time. If they play well for a couple of years they will more then likely graduate to Europe anyways. The success of this team has very little to do with the Academy.

We don't need any more young Canadians. We have three of them right now and that's probably all we should ever have at any given time. Unless the roster someday gets expanded. If we are succesfull next year it won't be because we brought up more Academy players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we could use more Canadian squad player types to fill up the new added roster spots. I think there's a few CSL types who could do a job for TFC, my reasoning being, Lindsay looked pretty good last game, he was a good to above average CSL player, but not dominating. By extension other above average CSL players could contribute. Milos Scepanovic for example.

Thought I agree with the above sentiment, I want more wining, more than more Canadians.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    If we pay more for a Canadian than someone else who is better than no chance in hell.

I understand if we develop the talent than yes we must keep our talented youngster. TFC job is not to help develop CMNT players if we do it is a bonus. TFC is suppsoe to be avbout winning and signing Canadians just for the sake of them being Canadian is a joke. This is not a retirement stop for player who have played for the CMNT either, if they can't contribute the way another player can who is not Canadian, then why the hell would we sign them?

That is like saying the Impact is only going to sign french sepaking players> why limit who we can sign. I want the best players possible for our team nothing less
    It's not some mysterious random "bonus". It's a natural progression. Our kids coming up are Canadian and only the best keep playing for us. If they're really good they will test the limits of how much we think they're worth and may have to move on to a team outside the country. If they want to return or retire here out of patriotism, sense of civic pride or family that's great.

But not at the expense of the rest of the team's quality. I think up till now we've had mixed results with the Canadians we've had on the squad but most of them have not crippled the teams salary cap with a lower than expected performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely disagree that the success of this team will come from the Academy. Come on, that is a very small piece of the puzzle. No team in the world depends on their Academy enough to say something like that. At the most we'll have two Academy players on this team at any given time. If they play well for a couple of years they will more then likely graduate to Europe anyways. The success of this team has very little to do with the Academy.

We don't need any more young Canadians. We have three of them right now and that's probably all we should ever have at any given time. Unless the roster someday gets expanded. If we are succesfull next year it won't be because we brought up more Academy players.
    You look at an academy for maybe one new player a year. Two in a brilliant year. So you're right, it's a small portion.

I have to agree, we're already doing more than enough. ANYONE new who comes in at this point should be a first-teamer. The players we have, for the most part, obviously aren't cutting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good chunk of latin American teams do, what about Ajax during the 90s?

Also, why is 3 all we should ever have at any given time? Is that some arbitrary number that you said for the sake of saying it? I'm not saying we'll have more next season, but what if more get promoted in the coming years and all of the sudden we have 7 youngsters starting, and playing well? Should we somehow limit ourselves to 3 because "that's all we should ever have at any given time?"

You seem to have this misconceived notion that breaking into a MLS team will be the hardest thing in the world for these kids to do, which is not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You look at an academy for maybe one new player a year. Two in a brilliant year. So you're right, it's a small portion.
    I agree to an extent, but this is the MLS. I think we can probably bring up three or four a year easily if we run the youth system properly. Dallas did this year. Granted, they're not gaurenteed starters yet.
    Last edited by Macksam; 10-18-2010 at 12:32 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need any more young Canadians. We have three of them right now and that's probably all we should ever have at any given time. Unless the roster someday gets expanded. If we are successful next year it won't be because we brought up more Academy players.
    At this point in our history I think the Academy is extremely important to more than the success of this team because of the facts not only is this Academy still synonymous with saying Young Canadians and it provides an alternative to the evil of this crippling NCAA system we (TFC, future Canadian teams) have to use in our league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    A good chunk of latin American teams do, what about Ajax during the 90s?

Also, why is 3 all we should ever have at any given time? Is that some arbitrary number that you said for the sake of saying it? I'm not saying we'll have more next season, but what if more get promoted in the coming years and all of the sudden we have 7 youngsters starting, and playing well? Should we somehow limit ourselves to 3 because "that's all we should ever have at any given time?"

You seem to have this misconceived notion that breaking into a MLS team will be the hardest thing in the world for these kids to do, which is not true at all.

I agree to an extent, but this is the MLS. I think we can probably bring up three or four a year easily if we run the youth system properly. Dallas did this year. Granted, they're not gaurenteed starters yet.
    If 4 players from the Academy are breaking into the TFC roster every year then we are in deeep doodoo. 7 young Canadians on an MLS team is like committing suicide. Who the heck would form a team from 7 young Canadians? I wouldn't put together a team of 7 young americans, nevermind Canadians where the talent level isn't even comparable.

Lindsey has a good game and all of a sudden we should fill up our team with a bunch of Lindsey's?

I agree with Jloome on this one. 1 Academy player every year is good enough. And you gotta expect that some of those "one's" will either, not do well in the MLS, do well and go to Europe and maybe a few of them will stay and have a long succesful career in the MLS. That adds up to a very small piece of the puzzle.
    Last edited by Pachuco; 10-18-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A year ago, someone was telling me we didnt need to purchase strikers because OB White was waiting in the wings.

The overconfidence in Canadian talent is what killed our first season, wasted a DP slot and possibly alienated a bunch of non canadian players/coaches.

Stop it. You need many more teams, more stadiums, and more funding before you can begin to hope to produce the necessary talent pool, and regularly qualify for the WC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    A year ago, someone was telling me we didnt need to purchase strikers because OB White was waiting in the wings.

The overconfidence in Canadian talent is what killed our first season, wasted a DP slot and possibly alienated a bunch of non canadian players/coaches.

Stop it. You need many more teams, more stadiums, and more funding before you can begin to hope to produce the necessary talent pool, and regularly qualify for the WC.
    sounds great. Next year is another MLS team, CSL expansion to a nationwide contest that will ultimately lead to a third- tier Canadian league.

I'm not ignoring the overvaluing of some Canadians on our team but our team is young. To ignore Canadian talent just seems so self deprecating. I guess it's always been a Canadian characteristic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds great. Next year is another MLS team, CSL expansion to a nationwide contest that will ultimately lead to a third- tier Canadian league.

I'm not ignoring the overvaluing of some Canadians on our team but our team is young. To ignore Canadian talent just seems so self deprecating. I guess it's always been a Canadian characteristic.
    Nobody wants to see canadian talent disregarded. Talent is talent, whatever flag its under.

The problem is we dont want to see the next canadian 'nearly' being touted as the future of the club, when he's never been tested, and offering an economy solution to the owners.

"We dont need a big name DP and we dont need to win right now either, because were all about developing 'young canadians' for the future."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is disregarding Canadian talent. This thread is titled I want more Canadians next year.

We have two Canadian academy players, we have one youngster in Gala. We have Cann, Nana, Dero and god help me if we are stuck with JDG again. We have enough Canadians on this team. We have the young guys who will learn, and the veterans who will lead. This team doesn't need any more Canadians, as I said before. This team needs wingers and fullbacks and maybe 1 or 2 central midfielders. I can only think of like 3 Canadian's in the world who I would bring to TFC. I can think of hundreds of players from everywhere else in the world who I would bring to TFC. Where do you think I'd be concentrating on if I was building this team?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Nobody wants to see canadian talent disregarded. Talent is talent, whatever flag its under.

The problem is we dont want to see the next canadian 'nearly' being touted as the future of the club, when he's never been tested, and offering an economy solution to the owners.

"We dont need a big name DP and we dont need to win right now either, because were all about developing 'young canadians' for the future."
    HAHAHAHA Agreed.

It's not that I couldn't see the douchebags saying it. It's that it would take a 180 turn in the majority opinion to make that kind of an announcement even attractive. I'll admit I'd love if it were to come to pass that we were able to rely on Canadians and win but I'll settle for our Canadian content being paid as much as their worth on this team and contributing to a winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW - An honest question. Do Academy players HAVE to be Canadian? I would go as far as saying that we don't need to be looking at Canadians exclusively when looking for Academy players. The goal here is to get the best player you can get regardless of citizenship or what country he chooses to play for.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Of course not but they will be primarily Canadian until the Academy is at a certain level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KdotOdot View Post

LOL@TFC Regina. You know what your name rhymes with right?
    Fascinating. It's like it's the first time he's ever even heard of Regina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KdotOdot View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHAAHA! Dude you're stary eyed optimism and refusal to see the facts makes you a fucking hilarious, and I mean HILARIOUS screen name.
    My optimism? I don't believe i had any optimism. I simply pointed out that our non-Canadians are worse than our Canadians in terms of proportion.

We can faithfully rely on fully 1 half of our Canadians. We can't rely on fully 1 half of our non-Canadians.

Essentially, it's the non-Canadians bringing the team down.

That being said, I don't think we should be looking for more Canadians to bring on the team, and i have pointed out in the past that the only Canadians who should be here are the ones who deserve to be here. I don't think there are enough free Canadians available to fulfill that role for this team...as a player who deserves to be here.

What you have done is essentially resorted to personal insults and hyperbole, when you basically don't know what you're talking about.

Your reading comprehension is atrocious if you thought at any point I was clamouring for more Canadians.

Oh yeah: you misspelled your.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and I've added you to my ignore list kdot.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    I want winners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5-yJM3vJc

I don't care where they're from.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If 4 players from the Academy are breaking into the TFC roster every year then we are in deeep doodoo. 7 young Canadians on an MLS team is like committing suicide. Who the heck would form a team from 7 young Canadians? I wouldn't put together a team of 7 young americans, nevermind Canadians where the talent level isn't even comparable.

Lindsey has a good game and all of a sudden we should fill up our team with a bunch of Lindsey's?

I agree with Jloome on this one. 1 Academy player every year is good enough. And you gotta expect that some of those "one's" will either, not do well in the MLS, do well and go to Europe and maybe a few of them will stay and have a long succesful career in the MLS. That adds up to a very small piece of the puzzle.
    I said if they are playing well. You missed that key word. As for young Canadians not being at the same level as young Americans, I disagree. The GTA probably houses the best raw, young soccer talent in Canada or the United States. We're just beginning to harnest it properly.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has some "fans" (not):

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php...the-RPB-forum.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHAHAH

JDG was designated DP on the sole reason he was Canadian. That has to be the only explaination as to why we have that midget on our squad.