Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expansion Draft / Wed Nov 24

It'll be held on November 24, three days after MLS Cup 2010.

Existing 16 clubs must submit their list of 11 protected players to MLS by Nov. 22

The drafts:
    Expansion Draft: Portland picks 1st; Vancouver has 2nd pick.
    MLS SuperDraft: Vancouver has 1st pick; Portland is 2nd.

Expansion Rules (speculation)
    • 10 rounds (20 players total).
    • No current club can lose more than two players.
    • When a club loses a player, it may move one unprotected player to the protected list.
    • If a club has two players claimed from their non-protected roster, that club is eliminated from the Expansion Draft.
    • A designated player with a no-trade clause must be protected.
    • Protecting a player does not obligate a team to exercise a contract option, contracts can be renegotiated.
    • Gen A & Homegrown players are exempt
    • Each club to protect a minimum of three international players. **Not sure on this one**
    • American players are not considered internationals for Toronto FC.
    • Canadians are considered internationals for American clubs.
    And with a thought to the new CBA, out of contract free agents can move to new clubs as old clubs no longer have either compensation payments or retaining rights. So Clubs no longer will need to protect their free agents as the new CBA grants free movement to new clubs for out of contract players, no more compensation considerations or retaining rights.
    EDIT: I've been told I've got this sorta right and sorta wrong - free agent players go through a "waiver / re-entry like draft".
    I've ask for clarity, and was told to look at the new CBA. Problem is the on-line CBA is the old one. I'll keep looking.

Also, I'm waiting for clarity on this but a loan player can't be exposed because the loan is between two teams, not the league. But he can be protected if the MLS club maintains an interest.

I had some difficulty in identifying 11 players worthy of protection.
    Player / Salary
    1. Attakora $40,000
    2. Cann $65,342
    3. Conway $69,833
    4. MeRO $443,750
    5. Frei $135,000
    6. Gargan $40,000
    7. LaBrocca $79,500
    8. Santos $93,000
    9. Sanyang $46,555
    10.Saric $90,000

11.TBD
    • JDG $1,717,546 - take him and his contract.
    • Garcia $198,750 - can we sell him to a glue factory.
    • Peterson $143,000 - he's been beaten so often he should next volunteer for Amnesty International.
    • Ibraim $133,000- sell him to Disney; he's good for next wizard of OZ production, he's got no heart, no brain and plays scared.
    • Hscanovics $120,250 - my brother, who has down's syndrome, has a higher footballing IQ.
    • Usanov - $102,250 - future 4th official or visiting team dressing room attendent.
    • Barrett $212,500 - he can be the most expensive hardest working player with a terribel touch on another roster.
    • White - $182,000 - What's the difference between OBW and an ambitious person? The ambitious person has goals.
    • Harden $40,000 - Once you accept that a dog is a dog, you can't get upset when it barks.
    • Nane $40,000 - TFC's version of a "tap up", his agent is Preki's brother, sort of explains why TFC drafted him.
    • Gala $40,000 - why protect someone we never see, even Daso isn't playing him.
    • Mista $987,337 - Whats the difference between Mista and Cinderella? Cinderella actually wanted to get to the ball.
    Other expansion related stuff...
    Allocation Ranking: Vancouver is 1st; Portland in 2nd.
    Designated Player Ranking: Portland is 1st; Vancouver is 2nd.
    Discovery Ranking: Portland is 17th; Vancouver is 18th.
    Lottery Ranking: Portland is 17th; Vancouver is 18th.
    USL Player Priority: Vancouver is 1st; Portland is 2nd.
    Waiver/Re-Entry Draft: Vancouver is 17th; Portland is 18th.

Brennan, Cochrane and Dasovic are preparing and leading TFC through the expansion draft.
    Last edited by Sullivan; 10-17-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Mikey

TFC version five coming to BMO soon ( about three or four weeks after the 2011 season has started probably....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    Player / Salary
    1. Attakora $40,000
    2. Cann $65,342
    3. Conway $69,833
    4. MeRO $443,750
    5. Frei $135,000
    6. Gargan $40,000
    7. LaBrocca $79,500
    8. Santos $93,000
    9. Sanyang $46,555
    10.JDG $1,717,546
    11.Harden $40,000
    Cut Saric and included JDG & Harden.

You have to be crazy if you think JDG is going to be sacrificed. Too much is invested in him and sure he's overpaid, but I still think he's worth having on the pitch.

Harden is being paid the league minimum, he's worth as much as a bench player.

Saric has got to go. He's not worth that much and he fouls like a bitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As bad as our goal-scoring is, you're willing to lose Barrett? Dunno about that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(so are GA promotions happening before the expansion draft...that would be nice to know)

Already Protected:

Frei (he is still GA)
    Ibrahim (also still GA)
    Henry (Acadamy)
    Lindsay (Acadamy)

Protect (in no specific order)

1. Nana Attakora (stellar season, still improving)
    2. Dan Gargan (fan favourite, hard worker)
    3. Adrian Cann (does everything asked of a centre back)
    4. Chad Barrett (second leading scorer on a team that lacks scoring)
    5. Martin Saric (unfortunately the international protection quota makes him protected)
    6. Maicon Santos (shown flashes of brilliance)
    7. Amadou Sanyang (when you have had European teams looking at a player, you won't let him go)
    8. Jacob Peterson (took him a while, but has really shown his form and why TFC picked him up in the first place
    9. Gabe Gala (if he gets his work rate up, he could be a real good MLS player)
    10. Emmanuel Gomez (might have forgot about him ehh)
    11. Dwayne DeRosario (are you nuts not to protect him?)

So who gets cut from this list if TFC protect JDG, either Gala or Peterson

International unprotected: Usanov, Hscanovics, Mista...is Nane considered international?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone graduating from the GA was not considered GA for the last two expansion drafts, I don't see why it would be different this year.

And Nane is an "American" player I believe.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    As bad as our goal-scoring is, you're willing to lose Barrett? Dunno about that one.
    Chad Barret is best used as a trade before the draft to Portland. My guess is that he would love to be the first player signed by his home town. Kind of a Jim Brennan signing. Now the tricky thing is that they don't really have anything of value except for a first round draft pick that they would be crazy to get rid of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Chad Barret is best used as a trade before the draft to Portland. My guess is that he would love to be the first player signed by his home town. Kind of a Jim Brennan signing. Now the tricky thing is that they don't really have anything of value except for a first round draft pick that they would be crazy to get rid of.
    switch of 1st round picks and/or allocation money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

You have to be crazy if you think JDG is going to be sacrificed. Too much is invested in him and sure he's overpaid, but I still think he's worth having on the pitch.

Harden is being paid the league minimum, he's worth as much as a bench player.

Saric has got to go. He's not worth that much and he fouls like a bitch.
    I doubt JDG would be sacrificed, but why protect him? Who is going to pick him up at that salary? May as well protect a player who actually has a chance of getting selected. In the unlikely event we leave JDG unprotected and he goes, its an extra mil and change that we can basically force MLSE to spend, and a DP spot to spend it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protected List:

1. Frei - probably graduates from GA
    2. Nana
    3. Cann
    4. Sanyang (Intl)
    5. DeRo
    6. Gargan
    7. Labrocca
    8. Peterson
    9. Barrett
    10. Santos (Intl)
    11. Saric (Intl) - Cheaper of the rest of the Intl crap

That is assuming that JDG doesn't have a no-trade clause.

What I would do if I was TFC, is try to get as many draft picks as possible. JPA will be available, and if Freddie Ljunberg went for a 2nd round pick. We can probably get JPA for a 2nd and 4th pick.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    Protected List:

1. Frei - probably graduates from GA
    Last year it was stated pre-season that his time in GA was complete after this season.

JPA is, I believe, the first DP free agent in the league, but his rights are still owned by NY. Go figure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a Portland fan I would be upset to lose the second pick in the draft for Chad. He is a hard worker but Chad is not good enough for a second round second overall pick. the MLS draft is a good way to get some decent MLS quality players and build for the future. Just look at all the players that TFC has drafted and other teams have used to build their futures.

As a TFC fan allocation money doesn't seem worth it since TFC seems to use trades for allocation money to dump salaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    Last year it was stated pre-season that his time in GA was complete after this season.

JPA is, I believe, the first DP free agent in the league, but his rights are still owned by NY. Go figure.
    I want JPA in Toronto. If they don't make a pitch for him, then I have no idea what direction this club is going. You have a chance to get a freakin' goal poacher in this league (that's not named Cunny or Ruiz..haha).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want JPA in Toronto. If they don't make a pitch for him, then I have no idea what direction this club is going. You have a chance to get a freakin' goal poacher in this league (that's not named Cunny or Ruiz..haha).
    Here is my issue with JPA and it has nothing to do with his ability, attitude or passion. He in fact could be a really good pick up when combined with Dero playing behind him.

TFC seems to be reading the message boards and hiring the players we want with mixed results. JDG, Gerba, and Serioux were all called for by us and didn't perform as we had hoped. TFC's coaching and scouting staff should be out there finding the players that we/other MLS teams/pundits have not heard of. If we are always going after the 'big' names we will always pay too much for what are essentially squad players.

Sadly TFC does not have a good history of signing unknown players either, Hscanovic, Usamov, Vitti, Ruiz, Welsh, Sangyang, Gomez, Saric...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while we are guessing here...did you actually guess he was from Portland, im gonna guess that a guy from San Diego has no more interest in playing in Portland than in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    while we are guessing here...did you actually guess he was from Portland, im gonna guess that a guy from San Diego has no more interest in playing in Portland than in Toronto.
    Barret was a military brat who bounced around a lot. Portland was one of those places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DichioTFC
    Agree with you on Saric, but every club needs a thug who is expendable.
    JDG isn't going anywhere, not with that kind of contract, so why protect it. And if he does go - that's a DP position freed up for a goal scorer or a player that can manufacture goal scoring opportunities. (Ya I know, wishfull thinking). Let the rebuilding continue....

No one's going to convince me that Harden is better than Kwame Sarkodie. Sarkodie is a D/M playing with Rochester in the USL. I watched both in the NCAA. Sarkodie is the better athlete and the technically stronger player. Sarkodie is a free agent at season's end and he was where he needed to be this year, in the USL earning experience. Its also where Harden should have been.

Borga
    It's Barrett's contract that bothers me the most. It's one of a few contracts that prevent decent depth on the roster. Factor in his horrible first touch, his lack of finishing and an inability to link with anyone, yeah I'm willing to risk seeing if there is another dummy like Mo running a club willing to take him. If not, he goes wide and crosses balls and then runs his ass off pressuring up high.

prizby
    so are GA promotions happening before the expansion draft... Yes.
    Frei will graduate and need to be protected
    Irbrahim's contract is fulfilled.

...is Nane considered international? Unsure.
    I've been told Nane has a green card, but the person who told me this has
    been wrong on info like this more than once. Regardless, I don't think he's
    MLS calibre.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where on earth did I get Portland from? I have been saying this for months. Prizby thanks for the correction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swop 2nd round picks and include allocation money to TFC and there might be a development.

This year's Gen A list is going to be the biggest yet, 12-15 players. So early 2nd round picks should hold value. TFC pick 2nd rounder will be in and around 27th, so not so great. I'm looking at this draft to be Tim Regan's handi-work, so I see TFC selecting USSF u18 grads and ACC players. It's where he put most of his time in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was privy to a conversation in Bloomington last year and Barrett's name was brought up. Seems he picked UCLA over Indiana and if I recall correcly, UVa was in the mix back then too. He is a west coast boy. He just might go west if he's wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sullivan,

Even if you don't like Barrett you have to think that he's still one of the only guys on the team who is tradable and worth something. It would be a shame to lose him in the expansion draft when we can probably get a decent player with a trade. Saric is a dime a dozen kind of guy. There's no need to go protect someone like him. He's a bench player on a competitive team.

The rest of your selections I agree with. Oh and if JDG HAS to be protected I'd probably drop Sanyang from the protected list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pachuco

I've heard Barrett's been offered at various times over the past 2 seasons. During last year's draft he was offered straight up for a pick that was in the top 10. No takers. $212,500 and no first touch pretty much make him untradeable. I agree with you, there would perhaps be a better return for him in a trade. But expansion teams are in a different position than the other clubs, Portland just might take a bad contract in exchange for his "experience & talent".

On Saric, yeah I agree with you there too, he's a bench player on a uncompetitive team as well. I think this off-season will be rough for TFC in terms of so many unknowns, currently lame ducks as interim coach and interim manager. The transistion is going to be a challenege - so I'm leaning towards a huge dump to bring in quality, but keep tougher "get-stuck-in" type guys that will be easy to unload at the back end.

I wouldn't drop Sanyang, he was 1 of my 2 international selections to protect; you'll notice I couldn't identify a 3rd international that would round out my 11.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pachuco
    I wouldn't drop Sanyang, he was 1 of my 2 international selections to protect; you'll notice I couldn't identify a 3rd international that would round out my 11.
    If we can't think of a third player could we just protect 10.

1. Dero
    2. Frei
    3. Santos
    4. Attakora
    5. Cann
    6. Gargan
    7. Conway
    8. JDG

After thinking about it I would only protect 8. I would be happy to see all the rest leave. Assuming Lindsay and Henry are protected as Academy players.

Players we can't trade (Garcia, Usamov, Hscanovics etc...) can we just release them without penalty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can't think of a third player could we just protect 10.

Assuming Lindsay and Henry are protected as Academy players.

Players we can't trade (Garcia, Usamov, Hscanovics etc...) can we just release them without penalty?
    Has to be 11.
    Lindsay and Henry are protected.
    Garcia is out of contract 2010, so he's gone.
    Usamov & Hscanovics, if you care, my comments included in OP.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peterson over Gala. Gala and Nane are useless, Peterson's scored twice so far, coming off a brutal injury and a new team. Next year, given a bit more playing time and some more responsibility, he's got everything it takes to be a solid winger in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stick to the list in my signature. Let the rest go.

And if you can get something half decent for the ones below, start talking......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about protecting JDG is stupid. DPs are supposed to be exempt from the draft. So it's a moot point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Talk about protecting JDG is stupid. DPs are supposed to be exempt from the draft. So it's a moot point.
    IF, JDG has a no trade clause in his contract he has to be protected.

Do you know if JDG has the no trade; I certainly don't.

Not so moot....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    I have never read anywhere that DPs are exempt from the draft. Got a link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pachuco

I've heard Barrett's been offered at various times over the past 2 seasons. During last year's draft he was offered straight up for a pick that was in the top 10. No takers. $212,500 and no first touch pretty much make him untradeable. I agree with you, there would perhaps be a better return for him in a trade. But expansion teams are in a different position than the other clubs, Portland just might take a bad contract in exchange for his "experience & talent".

On Saric, yeah I agree with you there too, he's a bench player on a uncompetitive team as well. I think this off-season will be rough for TFC in terms of so many unknowns, currently lame ducks as interim coach and interim manager. The transistion is going to be a challenege - so I'm leaning towards a huge dump to bring in quality, but keep tougher "get-stuck-in" type guys that will be easy to unload at the back end.

But I think barrett's stock rose this year. I personally think he had a much better year then last year and it should result in greater interest from other parties.