Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the silence was very effective. Really bizarre experience all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I can drum up a couple of positives: Peterson didn't suck like he normally does and Lindsay was great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, is anyone really summing up the emotion to be mad or disappointed about this result?

I had the game on in the background while I was working. The green shirt thing didn't come across on television at all - did it look more pronounced at the stadium? All I saw was a smattering of green shirts, lost in the usual sea of red jerseys.

Even if we had beaten Columbus, their fans would be (rightly) quick to remind us that they are headed to the playoffs again, and we are headed nowhere... again.

I've even started forgetting that TFC are still playing. This season is over.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Two more games to get through, and it's all over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Nicholas Lindsay and Maicon Santos were bright spots for us today. Both played very well.
    I agree, when i saw our starting lineup today i expected practically nothing so I can't say i'm totally disappointed at the result.

We legitimately took the game to them for the first 45 minutes with Lindsay and Santos doing practically all the work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, is anyone really summing up the emotion to be mad or disappointed about this result?

I had the game on in the background while I was working. The green shirt thing didn't come across on television at all - did it look more pronounced at the stadium? All I saw was a smattering of green shirts, lost in the usual sea of red jerseys.

Even if we had beaten Columbus, their fans would be (rightly) quick to remind us that they are headed to the playoffs again, and we are headed nowhere... again.

- Scott
    Aside from just over half of 112 it was mainly a spatter of green here and there. Nothing predominant but I don't think that was the point.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    sulfur, you're totally right on the silence.

I think Wear Green failed largely because not all groups agreed. All groups agreed on the (relative) silence and it worked well.
    Having been at the game, I'm not sure you can say that U-Sector and TRN were in agreement with the silence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    It didn't really come over too well in the stadium either, to be honest there did not appear to be a hell of a lot of people taking part. The silence was more effective and you did notice it at times although to be honest I go to watch the football and get a bit consumed by that but I definitely did notice the silence and I do think it would effect greatly the game day experience of casuals who do not have much interest in the sport itself. The lack of green on display and the many people who turned up decked out in red did make me realise just how many people go to the games and dont pay attention to supporters groups or what they are doing. That is not to take away from SG's but they are still a huge minority in the stadium although they obviously do help contribute to the overall experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Having been at the game, I'm not sure you can say that U-Sector and TRN were in agreement with the silence.
    I agree about u sector for sure, I definitely heard a few TFC songs coming from their section although sitting in 224 I did not hear tribal nation but I never really hear them anyway from where I sit.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    ... The lack of green on display and the many people who turned up decked out in red did make me realise just how many people go to the games and dont pay attention to supporters groups or what they are doing. That is not to take away from SG's but they are still a huge minority in the stadium although they obviously do help contribute to the overall experience.
    To take the other side of the debate though consider my experience today in 110. There wasn't a "sea of green" but there were a few of us. Everyone around me today was asking about the "protest" and even the ones in red stayed quiet. We had maybe 1 dude around row 22 and another 4-5 guys near row 7 who did their own thing.

Everyone else respected what the RPB and NEE were trying to accomplish.

If the minority can influence the actions of the majority, I'm not sure you can say they don't pay attention. I'm also not sure you can call that group(s) that influence the crowd to that extent, particularly against our most hated rival, a minority in a power sense.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, U-Sector seems to be more and more of a "fanclub" all the time (whether that's actually true is hard to say, but the perception is starting to be there), and TRN always has been one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

liked the game, liked the green and the silence.

unfortunately, from my point of view, obbie tied the game!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    I thought the silence was very effective. Really bizarre experience all around.
    I was in 132 ... and I could hear a lot of supporteres noise ... seemed to be coming from 113; could hear a lot of songs quite clearly.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I side with them on some things. For example, I'm not a fan of booing any player in Red when they are playing. I think that the home pitch should be a hostile place for the opposition not for players like Garcia... as a random example

That said, no one was asking them to boo our players. More than just showing the owners what it would be like with no "atmosphere", the move was an attempt to show that there is more than the small minority of people upset that Anselmi refers to. That this group is united and serious about them "getting it right."

Sadly, they opted to not unite with their fellow supporters and instead use it as a platform for their own vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first on TV, they did everything NOT to show 112. All the "fan shots" were very zoomed in only you show small groups of fans (as the masses weren't really cheering).

As the game went on, a lot of the banners got good exposure. Off hand, I specifically remember seeing:

All for MoneY
    Actions not words
    I'd rather be jumping
    Big green $$ flags

There was enough green for a casual to notice, but I'm not sure if they woulda made the connection. Still, I think the protest achieved its objectives.

EVERY sports show is introducing the game talking about fan displeasure about ticket prices, and the quality of football. We've gone mainstream, so I consider that mission accomplished. More needs to be done, but the protest has served its purpose.

P.s. a lot of people didn't like the booing at the end, but I think it was a necessary evil to get our point across.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of booing any player in Red when they are playing.
    there is a never a time to boo your own player during a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    Sadly, U-Sector seems to be more and more of a "fanclub" all the time (whether that's actually true is hard to say, but the perception is starting to be there), and TRN always has been one.
    WOW! A group doesn't do what another group proposes and they are reduced to a FAN CLUB. Interesting, and really, what's the difference?

Best part of the game, and one of the loudest, was when the ball went into the stands in 113 and was hoofed over to 110 only to get thrown out of the stadium after a little volleyball between the upper and lower section.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point indifference has completely crept up on me. I'm not mad, or sad, or whatever. The statement has been made to MLSE, they clearly heard it, the media has picked up the message too, and now I'm going to sit back and see what the club decides to do about it over the winter.

If they decide to do right by the fans and put together a proper team with proper players, then I will cautiously wade back into the water. If they don't, then I might stop watching games altogether next year - on the television or otherwise.

As for the remainder of this season - who really cares. Pointless games, played a by a group players for which 50% likely won't even be here next season.

My morale couldn't possibly be lower. It has bottomed out to the point where I just don't care anymore.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    WOW! A group doesn't do what another group proposes and they are reduced to a FAN CLUB. Interesting, and really, what's the difference?
    Nothing to do with today... has to do with the general attitude shown of late.

I've not been to a game other than the DC one for a while, but the perception from friends (non-supporter related) is that they are just cheering no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing to do with today... has to do with the general attitude shown of late.

I've not been to a game other than the DC one for a while, but the perception from friends (non-supporter related) is that they are just cheering no matter what.
    Yeah, they are. For the boys on the field. Supporters do that. Perhaps they plan on handling their grievances with FO off the pitch. Not sure but.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alex andrew View Post
    liked the game, liked the green and the silence.

unfortunately, from my point of view, obbie tied the game!
    exactly what me and my friend said after we saw he kept the ball and tried to dribble past defenders when he had 3 open options for outlet pass and shooting chance for teammates

next thing, turn over, set piece, goal conceded
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was TRN. They could be heard on and off from about the 25th or 26th minute.
    That just shows how silent the atmosphere was today,at other game day you can't here TRN even if yo want to,but today thanks to silent protest from NEE and RPB you could hear TRN drums.
    I think it was good effort from 2 SG's,it's unfortunate that Cheerleaders from 113 didn't participate but that's different story.

Tuesday will be even better.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post

Best part of the game, and one of the loudest, was when the ball went into the stands in 113 and was hoofed over to 110 only to get thrown out of the stadium after a little volleyball between the upper and lower section.
    FAN CLUB is to good for them they are ML$E CHEERLEADERS for a while now,not just today.But hey, what you going to do it's a free country,no?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So just to read the general consensus on the board now, without starting a poll.

Jacob Peterson, stay or go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    exactly what me and my friend said after we saw he kept the ball and tried to dribble past defenders when he had 3 open options for outlet pass and shooting chance for teammates

next thing, turn over, set piece, goal conceded
    yes, it could have been a superb tactical move, columbus attacks, we defend, counterattack, 3-1, toronto swimming in champagne.

but it wasn't what the couch probably intended, of all the options obbie had, keeping the ball, running lateral, eating it, inhaling it, shooting it in rochester, he chose to give it away.

literally i think that melt the team.
    Last edited by alex andrew; 10-16-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scary thought Scott, and frankly I'm pretty close to being in the same boat myself.

Pretty much describes the process I went through with the raptors. I watched about 70+ games a year ever since Carter lead the team to the second round of the playoffs way back in the day. About 2 years ago i just completely lost interest. They completely drained any connection i had with the team. I still watch the NBA all the time, but I watch maybe 10% of the raptors games i did previously. I might go to one game a year.

As far as our team goes: people aren't stupid, they see the games on TV and know most of the other squads in MLS struggle to draw flies and their ticket prices are minuscule compared to ours. If we were consistently near the top i think the pricing thing would still raise some ire, but it would blow over. However, given we've pretty much been the worst team in the league over the last four years and we've jacked up ticket prices, something has to give.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    That just shows how silent the atmosphere was today,at other game day you can't here TRN even if yo want to,but today thanks to silent protest from NEE and RPB you could hear TRN drums.
    I think it was good effort from 2 SG's,it's unfortunate that Cheerleaders from 113 didn't participate but that's different story.

Tuesday will be even better.
    No credit to the 15,000 non supporters for keeping relatively mum though? I think the protest was pretty much stadium wide! Perhaps thanks to your initiatives but......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    FAN CLUB is to good for them they are ML$E CHEERLEADERS for a while now,not just today.But hey, what you going to do it's a free country,no?
    Sounds like there some real hate going on between the 2 groups Too bad!

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be in 114 on Tuesday.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After all the shit...the jacked ticket prices, the shit team, the poor management, and any number of disappointments I have suffered at the hands of TFC...having Hesmer, the keeper of one of our biggest rivals, score in added time, has left me in a complete state of embarrassment.
    Ending league play settling on a draw from a goal by a keeper is a complete fucking joke. I will NEVER watch another TFC match again. TFC can fucking pound salt.

Its been a nice 4 years...on these boards anyway. Later all.