View Poll Results: Will the passion ever be back?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

108 48.21%
  • No

116 51.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you think TFC and the support will ever be the same?

Pretty simple question...
    Is it possible to have this shitstorm fixed and bring back the passion TFC used to get up until this year?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on ML$E.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they broke something special. not sure how it will rebound. only time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning cures all IMO

If they put a competitive product on the field and I mean title contending not playoff contending then yes they will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    I think they broke something special. not sure how it will rebound. only time will tell.
    Agreed. IMHO, the atmosphere year 1 was the best and it's been fading ever since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, and you can see how it has dropped throughout the year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly we are not that good. YES it will be even better.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on alot of things.

I can see a strong vocal support remaining, but the numbers (full stadium) may not be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, they showed their true face so now it's really up to the supporters. In a way, it's good that it's all out in the open and honest. MLSE can be the corporate cartaker, they can hire consultants to make the soccer decisions and they can be the bankers. They can stop pretending they "care" and all that bullshit and just be the bank they really want to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sure the Leafs had a roaring supporters group back in the day, and then "stuff happened". Scalpers know when to buy, so they got their picks and support and ticket access has never been the same.

You give up your seasons now, scalpers will jump all over it, 111-112 will never be the same. It's up to you how support continues, not ML$E.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Im sure the Leafs had a roaring supporters group back in the day, and then "stuff happened". Scalpers know when to buy, so they got their picks and support and ticket access has never been the same.

You give up your seasons now, scalpers will jump all over it, 111-112 will never be the same. It's up to you how support continues, not ML$E.
    Scalpers will NOT be jumping all over it!!! They took an absolute BEATING this year (EXCELLENT!!!)...and with the way things are looking for 2011, they won't be buying SHIT!!! Do you work for MLSE or something???

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QFFT...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't something that "time will tell."

If they start winning and make the playoffs next year, all will be forgiven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its sad that so many football teams around the world have so much supporter history and TFC can't seem to make it last 4 years. Bums me out big time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    This isn't something that "time will tell."

If they start winning and make the playoffs next year, all will be forgiven.

All will be forgiven in that they will fill the stadium again.

All will not be forgiven in that it will never be like it was. With their actions, TFC have lost good people in the stands that may not come back and some of those will replace them aren't nearly of the same quality.

There is a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Scalpers will NOT be jumping all over it!!! They took an absolute BEATING this year (EXCELLENT!!!)...and with the way things are looking for 2011, they won't be buying SHIT!!! Do you work for MLSE or something???
    I agree with this. I have a feeling a lot of the scalper's that had season tickets may not be renewing since they had a hard time selling this year.

Heathen

The support won't be the same but not in the way most people think. If anyone was in doubt about MLSEs true colours they aren't now. I expect a relationship between fans and ownership that is grudging tolerance at best from our side and in the long-term that might not be a bad thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passion for soccer will always be there in this city as long MLSE is doing their job of providing quality product to the people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

All will not be forgiven in that it will never be like it was. With their actions, TFC have lost good people in the stands that may not come back and some of those will replace them aren't nearly of the same quality.

There is a difference.
    I think you're right. It's like MLSE have shown themselves to be the hot chick who's sleeping with you for your money. Everybody knew that, but now that it's out in the open it's different.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree BR...I think what we are talking about is lost innocence. MLSE has jaded us and even those that are left will always have these difficult times in the back of their minds and probably never trust the FO again.

I think until this year, people held out hope that this team would be different. I think we all realize now it isn't and our idealistic hopes have been shattered. How do you regain that? I don't think you can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference.
    this is what I'm talking about.

I've spoke to a lot of people that are going to share, cut back or not renew their seasons tickets. They all have been here from the beginning but can't take it anymore.

When I heard the ML$E was going to run this team I was afraid that they'd fuck it up and here we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

totally possible to turn this thing into a winner. MLSE has the $ and clout to do that.

In the meantime, this era will be seen as a dirty regretable past, that left scars on what started out as a beautiful darling franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference.
    No offense but it is has be declining since year one. So in reality the newness (if that is a word) wore off along time ago. We will lose some friends in the stands and new ones will come. You can't judge and say that they are the same quality cause we don't know who they are yet IMO.

You can forgive, but you can never forget there is a difference. MLSE screwed up from keeping the drunk Scot to prices for tickets so If they do what is right by hiring the right people and build a franchise we all can be proud of then they can be forgiven, but they have to know that we will never forget about what has happened this year. Period

But to expect it to be like it was before is impossible and that goes for any sport over time. I remeber being the Maple Leaf sitting in golds with regular fans, i remeber going to Skydome in 89 tell me if that will ever be the same....

It won't and we can't get it back. we have to either enjoy the ride and create the atmosphere that we want or we leave and talk about the past. Unfortunately, sports teams brings out the passion in their fans be it postive year 1 or negative ending of year 4 to use TFC as an example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree BR...I think what we are talking about is lost innocence. MLSE has jaded us and even those that are left will always have these difficult times in the back of their minds and probably never trust the FO again.

I think until this year, people held out hope that this team would be different. I think we all realize now it isn't and our idealistic hopes have been shattered. How do you regain that? I don't think you can.
    QFT

Winning won't cure what they've done to my faith.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference.
    The stadium will absolutely fill again once the club will be successful. Doubtless, the prices will also be higher. That means supporters who got priced out of seasons tickets will only be able to attend half the games they normally would, or a few less.

That's a conversation to have once we start winning.

If you think some sort of Golden Age of Support has now concluded and it's all downhill from now on, then what are we doing here?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    If you think some sort of Golden Age of Support has now concluded and it's all downhill from now on, then what are we doing here?
    I think this is more of an issue of "what if" than whether there is anything to salvage. Can something be salvaged of this? Of course it can. Will be it as good as it was or was going to be? I doubt it. Like I said, they took the innocence away.

What we are doing here is fighting for what is left and hoping it will be good enough to remain among the best in the league. Maybe over time the team can repair some of what was lost, but I doubt it will ever be repaired completely. There is a mistrust here that will be difficult to overcome, like a spouse that has been cheated on, you may take the cheating spouse back, but the damage is irrepairable.

TFC had a chance to grow support into the absolute best in the league. I think they have set that back substantially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rot has set in and things will never be the same again. What we had on day one was something special - real football fans who were knowledgeable and passionate about the sport. The relationship with the FO was good - they appeared to be transparent and willing to engage in a dialogue. We were impressed - what other FO does that? They really care about what we think and feel.

Alas, the wolf has shed its clothing. We know what the FO stands for and how much it values loyalty (we saw that with the Real Madrid game). People stuck up for MLSE, they wanted to think they were honest brokers who just wanted to build and invest in the game - through an academy, new pitch, grass.

The last few months have exposed the lie. We have seen empty seats, masses of them, at nearly every game this season. And that was WITH the fans that have been here since day one. Remove those great fans and what will the atmosphere be like? Imagine that atmosphere with a team that will take many more years of rebuilding.

MLSE has just killed its little cash cow and is just now starting to realise it. That massive waiting list? If it existed, why is MLSE panicking by extending the deadline and holding town hall pr-stunts? That waiting list is nothing but a fiction.

The anger will turn to sadness. And those of us who have been here since day one, wanting to help build something really special in this city, will look back and regret what might have been...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is more of an issue of "what if" than whether there is anything to salvage. Can something be salvaged of this? Of course it can. Will be it as good as it was or was going to be? I doubt it. Like I said, they took the innocence away.

What we are doing here is fighting for what is left and hoping it will be good enough to remain among the best in the league. Maybe over time the team can repair some of what was lost, but I doubt it will ever be repaired completely. There is a mistrust here that will be difficult to overcome, like a spouse that has been cheated on, you may take the cheating spouse back, but the damage is irrepairable.

TFC had a chance to grow support into the absolute best in the league. I think they have set that back substantially.

Yeah, in that sense I suppose you're right -- rewind the clock a year and I would have killed for season tickets. I bought a Marlies ransom pack and supplemented it with after-market purchases, letting me come to virtually every home game this year, just like the year before that.

Now, there are absolutely no circumstances under which I will be talked into buying season tickets and I don't think that will change even if we do start winning. I will still come to BMO next year, a few times, but it will not be every single game. I will continue No way, no how.

And in 2012, even if we get a playoff berth in 2011, I will not buy seasons either. It's this bond that has been broken by the doing of the ownership, even though I love the team and have met many of the players personally.

I don't know how to put it, there's just something tarnished about this team now - a stink that is different from the stench of failure and missed opportunities. I still disagree with you and hope that it can go away, but it won't be for quite some time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can agree with you as well. Like it's been said, time will tell. What we can definitely agree on is that they've damaged things and need to work on repairing it. Whether it can be completely repaired is just speculation that won't matter for years to come anyways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning will cure most of it.
    but the innocence is gone.
    it's like having your heart broken for the first time.