Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mista the worst DP Ever!

Let's just put it this way: even Denilson scored during his short stay in MLS. With two matches left in the season, Mista is close to obtaining the humiliating title of Worst Ever Designated Player.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...ng-up-with-the

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't he score in what some will argue is TFC's greatest win over Cruz Azul?
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that he is a bust, but when compared to Denilson...I think he came up big at our biggest moment.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read the article, but I can't jump on the hate-Mista bandwagon.
    The guy never had a chance to prove himself in Toronto.
    How many games did he start?

The failure was from management, not from Mista.
    So, while this DP project may have been a bust, it's unfair to put the blame on the player.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got to almost agree with flats on this one
    he did have a few flickering moments of beauty with the team, just unfortunate it has happend this way.
    it's either his name, or garcias on a white kit whenever i get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not my opinion, its the guy who wrote the article.

I don't think he was the right guy for TFC tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn't get enough minutes to adjust to the MLS game. He has talent, we can all see that. He scored against Cruz Azul and looked excellent at moments. I am not in the dressing room, I doubt that both coaches would keep him off the pitch for no reason.

Worst DP ever???? Maybe. Am I shocked that TFC signed the worst DP ever? not at all

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    got to almost agree with flats on this one
    he did have a few flickering moments of beauty with the team, just unfortunate it has happend this way.
    According to a Spanish friend that has followed his career closely, the trouble with Mista is that even back in Spain is would have only flickering moments too. He always had the potential but could never quite reach those levels on a consistent basis. As far as DPs go, Mista is of the dollar store variety.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..and when I think of it..well really, Mista became a DP here because his buddy DeGuzman wanted to help his friend get some work.. Great strategic planning there to build a competitive squad eh? is that what it's come to? It seems so..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    Its not my opinion, its the guy who wrote the article.

I don't think he was the right guy for TFC tho.

This!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said this before any time you try te get a new player you should know his playing style and how are you gonna play or what is the game plan is when he is on the field .MO JO just thought by bringing good players you will be agood team , i dont think so we had ALI GERBA we played as if he was DD we had VITTI no body new what to do or where to go when he had the ball . Now we had mista DERO doesnt pass the ball to him and DE GUZMAN always played short passes which most of the time were useless .Iam not difending MISTA but it doesnt matter who you bring if you can't play them the ball then any player is no good .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    ..and when I think of it..well really, Mista became a DP here because his buddy DeGuzman wanted to help his friend get some work.. Great strategic planning there to build a competitive squad eh? is that what it's come to? It seems so..
    Don't know what would of happened if we signed JDG's other friend Andrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The signing was flawed from the get go. My guess is they signed him without doing their due diligence and quickly discovered he was not match fit when they saw him...and potentially nagging health issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 106-12 View Post
    I said this before any time you try te get a new player you should know his playing style and how are you gonna play or what is the game plan is when he is on the field .MO JO just thought by bringing good players you will be agood team , i dont think so we had ALI GERBA we played as if he was DD we had VITTI no body new what to do or where to go when he had the ball . Now we had mista DERO doesnt pass the ball to him and DE GUZMAN always played short passes which most of the time were useless .Iam not difending MISTA but it doesnt matter who you bring if you can't play them the ball then any player is no good .
    MoJo signed Gerba to save his own job 2 seasons ago
    MoJo signed JDG to save his own job last season
    MoJo signed Mista to save his own job this season

neither was intended to make the team better other than cover his own rear end

that's my view
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post

that's my view
    Best summary yet. MoJo signed players to distract from the poorly built team. He had no idea if the player would make the team better.

Although Gerba wasn't signed 2 seasons ago was he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No - Gerba and Garcia were brought in literally right after the 'protest'. If I remember correctly - loss to LA on Saturday, Gerba and Garcia on Monday.

So you can add that to the list of signings meant to distract supporters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a Valencia fan, I know what Miguel Mista could be here, because in his time in Spain, he was a pretty good player. Certainly, he has more quality than some other starters on our team.

Here, he is not even being played. I have no idea why. He can't score goals when he's on the bench...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I haven't read the article, but I can't jump on the hate-Mista bandwagon.
    The guy never had a chance to prove himself in Toronto.
    How many games did he start?

The failure was from management, not from Mista.
    So, while this DP project may have been a bust, it's unfair to put the blame on the player.
    Not really disagreeing with you but at the same time we have no idea what has been going on with Mista so we cannot just assume it's managements fault that he has not been starting. It could be down to Mista and his attitude? It makes no sense why Preki, and now Daso would not start him unless there is something more to the story.
    Knowing how things work with this organization we will probably never get the answers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    Being a Valencia fan, I know what Miguel Mista could be here, because in his time in Spain, he was a pretty good player. Certainly, he has more quality than some other starters on our team.

Here, he is not even being played. I have no idea why. He can't score goals when he's on the bench...
    It's tough to integrate into a team when you can't speak the language. In bigger leagues, maybe skill speaks louder than words, but in MLS the skill just isn't there, so communication is all the players have.

Wonder if he just isn't happy here and isn't putting in the effort?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now, Mista isn't being played because, as another Mo mistake, they're trying to simply make fans and supporters forget he was even here. A small, one line press release will say he's gone next season and Mista will be forgotten.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    It's tough to integrate into a team when you can't speak the language. In bigger leagues, maybe skill speaks louder than words, but in MLS the skill just isn't there, so communication is all the players have.
    All teams everywhere on the planet have a language barrier issue. You make it work or at least good teams do. And on TFC, the problem was not as acute as on other teams. Especially with spanish players. Not only do several players speak spanish (Mista, JDG, Garcia) but so does a trainer and some staff in the FO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Best summary yet. MoJo signed players to distract from the poorly built team. He had no idea if the player would make the team better.

Although Gerba wasn't signed 2 seasons ago was he?
    Gerba and JDG were signed in the same season to pander to the Canadian content lobby.

Just one more reason why I think the quota should be done away with...

And yes, I was a former member of said Lobby.

We need some Darwinian football experience. Breed out the Lombardos, amp up the Attakoras. You should make this team based on quality, not on flag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real question that I wish a journalist out there (somebody, anybody) would pickup on is: why was this player signed for multiples of his market value?

He makes $1.7 million annualized.

How, exactly, did this happen?

Was Mista really any better than Robert, who was the same age in 2008 that Mista is in 2010, who had been a huge star on a big team in a way that Mista never was, who came directly from the EPL (Mista had been out of La Liga for a year), and came in for......$335K annualized?

How could anyone have possibly proposed, or agreed with the proposition, that Mista was worth more than Ljungberg, who makes $1.2 million annualized?

I am privy to nothing, but I am telling you, there is a story here that must illuminate something important.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling Mista worse than Denilson based on goal numbers is over-the-top. Mista hasn't scored in MLS play, but he's had some nice plays. Denilson was just bad, you have to really try to be bad to be as bad as Denilson was.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The real question that I wish a journalist out there (somebody, anybody) would pickup on is: why was this player signed for multiples of his market value?

He makes $1.7 million annualized.

How, exactly, did this happen?

Was Mista really any better than Robert, who was the same age in 2008 that Mista is in 2010, who had been a huge star on a big team in a way that Mista never was, who came directly from the EPL (Mista had been out of La Liga for a year), and came in for......$335K annualized?

How could anyone have possibly proposed, or agreed with the proposition, that Mista was worth more than Ljungberg, who makes $1.2 million annualized?

I am privy to nothing, but I am telling you, there is a story here that must illuminate something important.
    Wait, are you saying it's possible that not everything that happens in professional sports is above-board and exactly what it seems?

That's just crazy talk .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone here been following Ali G lately? He has been scoring goals a lot! I don't mind if he comes back to TFC next season. I think it was mistake to let him go.

Mista was a bust. Better not come back next season unless he takes a MAJOR paycut. Same applies to JDG as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GERBA - Games played 13 - Goals Scored 12.
    (TFC: played 11, scored 5)

Ya.. . . . We are totally eating that.
    I said it, I called it. I ate it.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mista's game vs. Cruz Azul was the best individual performance that we've ever seen by a player in a TFC kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    All teams everywhere on the planet have a language barrier issue. You make it work or at least good teams do. And on TFC, the problem was not as acute as on other teams. Especially with spanish players. Not only do several players speak spanish (Mista, JDG, Garcia) but so does a trainer and some staff in the FO.
    also add Saric to the list of Spanish speaking players. I can't accept language as a reason....

Mista is one of the most skillful players to have ever worn a TFC kit, shame the team never made the best of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post

that's my view
    Sad thing is, all three are/were terrible...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    also add Saric to the list of Spanish speaking players. I can't accept language as a reason....

Shoot...I knew I was forgetting a player.

And I also forgot Percovich who also speaks spanish.