Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cochrane quotes

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cochrane quotes

Lots of news coming out from Earl Cochrane's Q&A on TFC's web site. Here are some of his answers:

[Comment From MoeMoe: ]
    Hello, just a simple question since your start on the job how have things been looking? Any progress on moving forward such as candidates for the jobs etc.? How are we dealing with the dissatisfaction of the fans?
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:01 Moe
    2:05
    Earl Cochrane:
    Hello Moe - things have been hectic as we prepare for the off-season and 2011. My bosses are searching and deciding what our technical staff/structure will look like for 2011 and beyond but I am pressing forward...to the dissatified fans, I will say that in 2011 we will be a very different looking team - young, organized, committed and quick - entertaining to watch

Earl Cochrane:
    We certainly have a plan for the future RobertD - and one of the keys to that plan is to manage the DP roster spot properly. When used to compliment the squad around them they can be very impactful
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:07 Earl Cochrane
    2:08

[Comment From Bill P.Bill P.: ]
    I mean no disrespect, but as a SSH since season 1, I am struggling with the decision to renew or not. Why should I? Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:21 Bill P.
    2:27
    Earl Cochrane:
    Both good questions. I know Paul Beirne is planning to do something similar very soon so I will leave the %increase to him - that's his realm. What I will say is that we will have a better product on the field next season - we will do our homework on players we acquire (whether it is via the draft, free agents, etc) to make sure that they fit our vision and philosophy for what will bring a culture of winning here. Players will be technically sound, intelligent, professional, and quick - in short we know the commitment and sacrifice you make financially - and we will spend that money wisely

Last edited by DangerRed; 10-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Comment From GuestGuest: ]
    Very different looking? Are we keeping the core of players? It has been my thought that we really just need wingers, and commitment to defence and this team will be fine
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:17 Guest
    2:20
    Earl Cochrane:
    yes. there is a good core of players here to build from and they will remain - but we will need to make a number of changes to get better and provide quality depth - and yes, as you pointed out, one of those areas is to improve our wide play...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earl Cochrane:
    ryan - yes. We had a lengthy discussion about this this morning. We'd like to expand our scouting reach - especially in Latin America and are building our plans now...
    Allando is still on our radar and we will monitor how he develops - he's still apart of the academy and can be signed by us without entering the draft - even if he does a 4-year degree
    114 Ultra - We have contacts all over the world but not as extensive a 'scouting' network as we would like...its coming.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Comment From AJ Greenfield AJ Greenfield: ]
    Our goaltending situation looks secure for the future with a top notch starter, a very solid back-up and an up and coming youngster out on loan to gain experience. Is the club happy with how the "loan" scenario has worked out and would the club be open to future loans to CSL clubs in the future? Earl Cochrane:
    Thanks AJ - yes, we are. As you know young goalkeepers need to be playing games. They need game situations to develop decision making, etc and that is why Milos was loaned to SWE. We have had a good relationship with the CSL and yes, that type of thing may happen again...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Comment From MM MM: ]
    Why were the MLS Cup and CONCACAF games included in the ticket package? I would have preferred to have a choiceo n those games and I think it was a typical MLSE money grab move to do that, especially given the disappointing results this year.

Earl Cochrane:
    MM - when we placed our bid for MLS Cup we had envisioned making the playoffs - and as you know and as Salt Lake City proved last year - making the playoffs sets you up for a Cup run if you get things right...as for the inclusion or exclusion of games in your season seat package, I will have to defer to Paul on that - as I mentioned, he will be doing a chat like this very soon...
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:45 Earl Cochrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's see if my question about dressing room splits makes it through the vetting

fair play, they did
    Last edited by Wull; 10-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Comment From Guest Guest: ]
    There have been rumours that Adrian Cann, Stefan Frei and Nana Attakora have refused offers to renew/extend their contracts, even with significant raises. What are you doing to keep these guys with TFC? [Comment From Moe Moe: ]
    Regarding players who have their contracts ending this season... when is the exact date that their contract expires? From what I know a few players who are an important part of this team's future have their contracts ending this season and I believe the main goal should be renewing those specific players and ensuring their satisfaction. (example - Attakora, Cann, Kocic etc.). Also unsure if this is a question that you possibly able to answer but who else is out of contract at the end of this season? Thank you!

Earl Cochrane:
    TFC+11 - dont want to discuss what we will be doing with players while the season is still on. we are assessing all players now - and will make a decision when the time comes that is best for TFC moving forward.

Re: Cann, Frei, Attakora rumours I can say that that is absolutely false.

Players contracts with the league last the calendar year - if there are options to be picked up, players to be waived, etc those decisions will be made in early Dec

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE: TFC website appears to have crashed. I will post more if it goes back up, but if it's working for you, please keep the responses coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try going to it through the mls website, that's how I got in....

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^no dice for me so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Players contracts with the league last the calendar year - if there are options to be picked up, players to be waived, etc those decisions will be made in early Dec
    So D$Ro has to wait two more months for his raise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asif Hossain:
    On coach turnovers ...

Earl Cochrane:
    to both - one of the things we require is stability. That is on the field and in our technical staff. And that will be reflected in our staff next season...

The atmosphere around the squad has been very positive since Nick took over...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post
    try going to it through the mls website, that's how I got in....

yours got lumped in with mine under "unity"

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like Nick has the job next season, so you can forget about any sort of German superstar coach.

Also, stability "on the field?" What the eff is he talking about? Where have we been stable, precisely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be blood

Asif Hossain:
    We are out of time, unfortunately but please reload your questions - particularly ticket related ones - for Paul Beirne when he joins us next time. Finally, one more from an eternal optimist ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    yours got lumped in with mine under "unity"
    LOL, wtf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    That sounds like Nick has the job next season, so you can forget about any sort of German superstar coach.

Also, stability "on the field?" What the eff is he talking about? Where have we been stable, precisely?
    He said we need stability...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Comment From WillWill: ]
    Persistent rumours abound of splits within the dressing room, what are the club going to do about this and will they have the guts to expel big names if they are found to be the root cause?
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:55 Will
    2:55

[Comment From Jeffro118Jeffro118: ]
    You mentioned a "vision" and "philosophy", this is a key point for me, the team needs an identity. Part of the TFC philosophy from the beginning was to play attractive and entertaining soccer, The hiring of Preki and his antifootball tactics was an extreme detour from entertaining football and made me wonder about the direction of the team going forward. Are you saying Toronto FC is going to rededicate it's self to employing an attractive brand of football? Will this affect decisions on coaching staff? Or will a new coach be allowed to bring his own philosophy?
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 2:55 Jeffro118
    3:00

Earl Cochrane:
    regarding riffs, splits, etc...whether there is any truth to rumours you have heard I dont know...what I can say is that we are looking forward...and will bring in players to Toronto FC that buy in to what we are building - and buy in to the 'team first' mentality that will be required to win.

Jeffro118 - yes - the style of play and philosophy will change and we will look to attack with speed and purpose...and I hope that results in an entertaining product.
    Wednesday October 6, 2010 3:00 Earl Cochrane

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting Danger. I was not able to make the Q&A session

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sweat Suds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone who posted (esp. Danger) - stuck at work and the computers here never deal well with these chats.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like entertaining football, the kind where we losing 3-2 all the time good stuff. Four more years please.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing Paul Beirne will be answering questions after Oct. 15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the posts. I like the number of times that Cochrane used the term "quick" in describing the team's play, let's hope that comes to pass.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I'm guessing Paul Beirne will be answering questions after Oct. 15.
    I'm guessing you're right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    I like entertaining football, the kind where we losing 3-2 all the time good stuff. Four more years please.
    Better than playing defense for 88 minutes and losing one-nil at the death, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this just purely sound like rhetoric? I have never longed for Michelle Lissel to say something after reading that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MFG1 View Post
    Does this just purely sound like rhetoric? I have never longed for Michelle Lissel to say something after reading that.
    Complete crap. He's setting himself up for the job, he's setting the established coaches up for a soft landing back in the job and the only thing I see out of this is that they need to go completely outside their core of staff, which MLSE corporate types obviously over-depend on.

Ensco was right in another thread: there's a real danger here MLSE will take the corporate route and appoint this guy because he's a smooth communicator, and it would be perhaps a fatal mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they hire within....daso or earl,im done.
    they will never see another penny of mine..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^too bad you wont find out til october 16th, that day after season ticket renewals are due. this is pure bushleague