Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS DP Dissection: The Problem In Toronto

Who will this be? It’s impossible to predict, but the player must be of the quality of the league’s other DP forwards, a pleasure the Red Patch Boys surely deserve.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Today's Paul James article:

Some have suggested Jurgen Klinsmann as a possible leader. Others have recommended a complete overhaul in order to start again.
    This is incredible news to start my day with.

Let's get Anselmi on the phone...we'll take Jurgen up to Oktoberfest...show him the strong Kraut Community...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

Let's get Anselmi on the phone...we'll take Jurgen up to Oktoberfest...show him the strong Kraut Community...
    Fuck yeah! He's my all-time favourite player. I'd love him as our coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't see Klinsman taking the job when he turned down the USNMT...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea if he'd be interested in the job either, but I wouldn't view him not wanting the USMNT position as an indication that he wouldn't want the TFC job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bah! With TFC shot to hell and MLB playoffs not yet underway, I can't stand the Toronto Sun's sports section anymore. 99% CFL/NFL/NHL coverage. *cringe*

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I have no idea if he'd be interested in the job either, but I wouldn't view him not wanting the USMNT position as an indication that he wouldn't want the TFC job.
    He was interested, it was revealed that he interviewed for the position, they just couldn't come to terms, so Bob Bradley had his contract renewed (the USSF's second choice).

If Klinsmann was willing to take the job, it would be fantastic. Even if Klinsmann won't come, they should look at other Bundesliga background coaches.

I've felt that a Bundesliga coach would be ideal for any MLS club. Firstly, you have the experience and contacts that comes from having been in a higher league (which would apply to a manager from any top Euro league).

Secondly, the Bundesliga is the European league the most like MLS in many ways. (1) spending restrictions mean that Bundesliga teams always have to look for value in their players. (2) they are often losing top players to the EPL/la Liga/Serie A, so that is something that they are experienced with. (3) They also play a style that is neither straight attacking (like England) or straight defense (Italy's traditional style -- yes I know that the larger Italian clubs have moved away from straight defense). Rather, they take both offense and defense into account, making for a strong, yet entertaining style of football.

The Bundesliga once had detailed roster restrictions similar to MLS. As the league and football's popularity rose in Germany, they did away with many of the excessive restrictions (which is where MLS will be in the future). They kept reasonable restraint on spending (German teams cannot rack up huge debts).

Another excellent choice would be Freiburg's current coach, Robin Dutt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Dutt

He won them promotion recently, and knows how to get value on a modest salary budget.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-04-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question? Twenty-two players on the pitch. How many TFC players would compete for a starting spot on Seattle’s team based on this particular game?
    Good question, indeed.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion - Frei gets the nod over Keller, and likely Nana finds a spot on their back four. That's it.

They don't need any of our mids or strikers.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He was interested, it was revealed that he interviewed for the position, they just couldn't come to terms, so Bob Bradley had his contract renewed (the USSF's second choice).

If Klinsmann was willing to take the job, it would be fantastic. Even if Klinsmann won't come, they should look at other Bundesliga background coaches.

I've felt that a Bundesliga coach would be ideal for any MLS club. Firstly, you have the experience and contacts that comes from having been in a higher league (which would apply to a manager from any top Euro league).

Secondly, the Bundesliga is the European league the most like MLS in many ways. (1) spending restrictions mean that Bundesliga teams always have to look for value in their players. (2) they are often losing top players to the EPL/la Liga/Serie A, so that is something that they are experienced with. (3) They also play a style that is neither straight attacking (like England) or straight defense (Italy's traditional style -- yes I know that the larger Italian clubs have moved away from straight defense). Rather, they take both offense and defense into account, making for a strong, yet entertaining style of football.

The Bundesliga once had detailed roster restrictions similar to MLS. As the league and football's popularity rose in Germany, they did away with many of the excessive restrictions (which is where MLS will be in the future). They kept reasonable restraint on spending (German teams cannot rack up huge debts).

Another excellent choice would be Freiburg's current coach, Robin Dutt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Dutt

He won them promotion recently, and knows how to get value on a modest salary budget.
    Quality post.

If I were able to personally hand pick a German manager for TFC it would be Matthias Sammer, but he's signed a 5 year deal to be the technical director for the DFB. Mainz's Thomas Tuchel wouldn't be a bad choice either
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps there's a 'future GM thread' that could benefit from the in depth discussion we're seeing in here?

Certainly it's going to be THE big topic of the off-season.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have no problem with a German coach, or any coach with a background in the Bundesliga but I think they'd get frustrated in the MLS with all of the negative tactics, dirty/late tackles and other types of fouls meant to intimidate players and slow the game down. I think the Bundesliga would be an incredible league for the MLS to model itself after, but I think even in terms of basic style its well above our heads right now.

As long as the bulk of this league's players are supplied by the NCAA system and not from academies, the majority of the players are going to be tactically disadvantaged and behind in their developement. You can't wait for a player to be college age before he gets exposed to proper coaching, training etc. A 16 year old kid in Germany has a better understanding of the game than a 20 year old in America does. Theres no reason to think that America/Canada can't develope players the way other countries do, we just don't have a system in place for it yet.

I think style wise, the MLS is actually similar to the Ukrainian league. They're faced with tight budgets and other restrictions as well, and the on the pitch product is similar in that its tough, physical, chippy, dirty etc.

An off-topic yet related point, the league has to do away with the DP rule and replace it with a higher salary cap if it wants to improve. The league is driven by an obession with parity and restraint but the DP rule allows teams to spend unlimited sums of money on select players. You can't put 3 super-stars on a team with 8 other NCAA trained players and expect an attractive product. You'd be much better off with a balanced team made up of well paid players.
    Last edited by CretanBull; 10-04-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    perhaps there's a 'future GM thread' that could benefit from the in depth discussion we're seeing in here?

Certainly it's going to be THE big topic of the off-season.
    Let's hope that it's not a topic for the ENTIRE off-season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I'd have no problem with a German coach, or any coach with a background in the Bundesliga but I think they'd get frustrated in the MLS with all of the negative tactics, dirty/late tackles and other types of fouls meant to intimidate players and slow the game down. I think the Bundesliga would be an incredible league for the MLS to model itself after, but I think even in terms of basic style its well above our heads right now.

As long as the bulk of this league's players are supplied by the NCAA system and not from academies, the majority of the players are going to be tactically disadvantaged and behind in their developement. You can't wait for a player to be college age before he gets exposed to proper coaching, training etc. A 16 year old kid in Germany has a better understanding of the game than a 20 year old in America does. Theres no reason to think that America/Canada can't develope players the way other countries do, we just don't have a system in place for it yet.

I think style wise, the MLS is actually similar to the Ukranian league. They're faced with tight budgets and other restrictions as well, and the on the pitch product is similar in that its tough, physical, chippy, dirty etc.

An off-topic yet related point, the league has to do away with the DP rule and replace it with a higher salary cap if it wants to improve. The league is driven by an obession with parity and restraint but the DP rule allows teams to spend unlimited sums of money on select players. You can't put 3 super-stars on a team with 8 other NCAA trained players and expect an attractive product. You'd be much better off with a balanced team made up of well paid players.
    My boss, who is quite knowledgeable on the topic of Football and watched MLS before TFC was around, and I have had numerous conversations about the part I've bolded. Our thoughts on it are that the league should do away with the DP rule and increase the salary cap (as CretanBull has also mentioned).

In addition clubs/owners that want to spend money on an academy should be able to spend as much as they'd like on it. The league doesn't have to mandate academies; if Columbus doesn't want to spend cash on developing players via an academy system and prefers to use the NCAA draft as their only source of new talent, so be it.

Finally, up to 4 players signed from the academy per year should be exempt from the salary cap until they reach the age of 23 (an arbitrary age). That way more money can be invested in players of better calibre and thereby raising the average level of talent on each team.

Perhaps an ambitious idea and one that seems to fly in the face of the league mandated "parity", but as supporters of Football we thought this was an interesting way to raise the profile of the game in North America and develop domestic talent.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    My boss, who is quite knowledgeable on the topic of Football and watched MLS before TFC was around, and I have had numerous conversations about the part I've bolded. Our thoughts on it are that the league should do away with the DP rule and increase the salary cap (as CretanBull has also mentioned).

In addition clubs/owners that want to spend money on an academy should be able to spend as much as they'd like on it. The league doesn't have to mandate academies; if Columbus doesn't want to spend cash on developing players via an academy system and prefers to use the NCAA draft as their only source of new talent, so be it.

Finally, up to 4 players signed from the academy per year should be exempt from the salary cap until they reach the age of 23 (an arbitrary age). That way more money can be invested in players of better calibre and thereby raising the average level of talent on each team.

Perhaps an ambitious idea and one that seems to fly in the face of the league mandated "parity", but as supporters of Football we thought this was an interesting way to raise the profile of the game in North America and develop domestic talent.

Really like the idea of exempting all or part of an academy developed player's salary from the cap until a certain age. This would provide teams an additional incentive to start/continue investment in the academy programs.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Really like the idea of exempting all or part of an academy developed player's salary from the cap until a certain age. This would provide teams an additional incentive to start/continue investment in the academy programs.
    Well we figured that since MLS has the Generation Adidas players, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include up to 4 academy players as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    Bah! With TFC shot to hell and MLB playoffs not yet underway, I can't stand the Toronto Sun's sports section anymore. 99% CFL/NFL/NHL coverage. *cringe*
    A-MEN brother!!
    Toronto Sport pages are dead to me. . . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as i love Klinsmann, i dont see it happening.
    i guess he does have knowledge of the US players so it wouldnt be that bad a decision...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I oddly do believe that Klinsmann could turn this team around given free reign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree if had total control he could do miraculous things. That is what went wrong with the usmt, they didn't feel comfortable giving anyone complete control.

The problem is though, I think he'd want to be GM and coach. And Anselmi said in the presser that he wanted to follow the NA style of having 2 seperate positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I oddly do believe that Klinsmann could turn this team around given free reign

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough id be ok giving him both positions, i have no doubt he'd pull together some solid coaches to work under him

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klinsmann would almost be like a "Designated Coach" as former German manager, and at Bayern. I think he could help add to the attendence figures in a way.
    I wonder if it was him hired how he could influence a German DP, such as a Ballack, or Miro Klose (Bayern's wasting his talent on the bench)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serves Miro right for leaving us

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klose has played in every league game apart from yesterday's loss to Dortmund, so I am not sure how he's exactly wasting on the bench. He's also expressed great interest in signing with Kaiserslautern as a sort of "farewell tour" after his contract is up at the end of the season. I would be shocked if he arrived in North America regardless of whether or not TFC signed Klinsmann or any other German manager as a GM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

Now I finally get an excuse to put Klinsmann on my TFC jersey

One can dream
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klinsmann with complete control over the entire technical staff would turn this club into what it should be. As much of a hinderance as the salary cap is to clubs with strong financial backing, there isn't a salary cap on coaches
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BS1327 View Post
    I wonder if it was him hired how he could influence a German DP, such as a Ballack, or Miro Klose (Bayern's wasting his talent on the bench)
    That would be a great "value added" that he couldn't give the USMNT. Miro would give us a great strike option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Klinsmann with complete control over the entire technical staff would turn this club into what it should be. As much of a hinderance as the salary cap is to clubs with strong financial backing, there isn't a salary cap on coaches
    No doubt it would be the right move to make for MLSE at this point in time, but I have little faith in MLSE when it comes to "doing the right thing". I'm sure they'll find some cheap solution somewhere that'll blow up in their faces as usual.