Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    We are not talking about who is the flashier player, just who has endeared himself to supporters more.
    I don't understand a support getting endeared to someone because he runs to the crowd and bashes the corner flag off his chest. Dichio scored about 6 or 7 a season. DeRO 12-13 a season. I would feel pretty daft if my liking of deRo was because i got a chuckle out of his peacock strut. I like him because he delivers when most around him don't. Yes he could be less selfish and read the game better at times but i don't think that adding a bit of crowd love makes him a better player and certainly wouldn't make him more popular to me. If you get fooled by all that ' I love the shirt...honest' type stuff then i just don't understand that at all. I don't follow hockey so i have no idea about tie domi comparisons. I couldn't pick Tie domi out in a line up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio scored 6 or 7 a season because he was perpetualy injured, or simiply not being played. Dichio would have score plenty in this league if he had been able to play more.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word - timing. Danny came along when we needed a hero and were love-struck for TFC without all the baggage that we have today in terms of shattered expectations from ML$E and the team. If De Ro had come along at that time instead then he would have been the idol. Not to undermine Danny's contribution in any way, he lead by example and was as committed to this team as anyone you will ever see, but De Ro is cut from a similar cloth and would likely have been held in the same regard if he'd been the 2007 hero instead of the 2009/2010 hero.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    I dont think Dichio is getting enough credit for his quality. The dude knew how to play the game. And that doesnt mean running around and trying really hard, it means fantastic positioning, intelligent hold up play, bringing your teammates into the play, not doing the same thing every time you get the ball, and communicating with those around him. Dichio made TFC better, sure he didnt have a lot around him but those around him were better for his presence. I cant think of many MLS strikers I would have taken for Dichio in those first 2 years. Angel, Donovan, sure they're better than Dichio. Not many other strikers were, the dude is a very good footballer.
    Agreed. That's my point. At the time he played, regardless of how much he played or the relative overall stats, position for position there weren't 10 guys I would've had ahead of him. Of the ones that immediately come to mind, they're pretty much all DPs. Montero came after, so did Nkufo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one big diff with Dichio is he didn't always choose to shoot (passed to Cunty and others a lot), as he was a good passer. Also, he was very efficient. He didn't kick 5 fieldgoals per game to get 1 goal. he'd get only 1 good chance and make it count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Dichio scored 6 or 7 a season because he was perpetualy injured, or simiply not being played. Dichio would have score plenty in this league if he had been able to play more.
    You could just as easily say that DeRo would get 20 a season if OBW would move his arse a bit more or if Guevara would not stop and wave imaginary cards at the ref everytime he fell over while play continues. You just can't say Dichio would score more if this or that. It means nothing. He scored some nice ones for sure but he was extremely limited when it came to pace and that counts for a huge amount in the modern game. Dichio would have been great in the 70s but the game has moved on since then. My opinion is based on what has actually happened on the field and DeRo has scored more in one season than DD scored period. DeRo is pretty much an attacking midfielder that has scored as many as Chad, Peterson Santos and OBW combined and last year as many as OBW, Gerba, Chad, and Vitti combined. The way I see it is that that is what makes a player legendary. All the rest of that playing for the crest stuff is just what some fans lap up. I don't and i still don't understand why people get all weepy eyed over that kind of thing. I also don't get this critisism of DeRo pumping 5 over the bar to get one goal. Most attackers have that kind of strike rate especially at this level. Dichio included. Considering the three recent goals DeRo popped in away from home its not surprising he fancies the odd pop at goal from distance. And he creates too. He's actually one of the few reasons to watch TFC these days. I couldn't give a flying fu** if he mimes signing cheques. That just suggests he's not that smart. Not alone there in the football world really.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    I was just having a long discussion a friend of mine about this question. I'd say it's hard to deny that Dichio was always more loved than DeRo is now and probably will ever be. What do you guys think the reasons are for this?
    Nobody can ever take away from Danny the first goal ever and the last goal of the first season - what a lift both that first and the beautiful final goal gave us - it left us all feeling great about a tough season. Danny wasn't pretty - Danny was a working man's man - we can relate to that.

To really be memorable - Dero needs the goal that gets us into the playoffs, goal in the playoffs that produces a win or the winning cup goal like he did for Houston - he has the harder road to travel - anybody could have won our hearts with the first goal ever - Dero has to do more. The goals in Montreal will be a part of the legend, but Dero will have to do something in the playoffs to gain that soft spot in our hearts, somewhere near the spot where Danny will always be...

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 123 elite View Post
    Reading this thread is more depressing than watching this season. DeRo is by far the best player TFC have had with possibly the exception of Frei. Danny.. nice bloke but average player. Cannot understand the adulation. I wonder if the south stands actually watch the game or if they are too busy jumping around to see whats actually going on on the park.
    It is not just about being a player... it is about being a class person.
    Dichio has DeRo beat on that count... in spades!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't kid yourself that Dichio was just heart and hustle. He had a ton of skill, particularly for a big guy. Dichio's touch and field vision are miles ahead of Dero's, just to name a couple of skills. Yeah, Dero's probably a better dead ball player, when he can get it on target.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way I look at it is this:

I wish the two of them would have had a chance to play together for a longer period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    The only way I look at it is this:

I wish the two of them would have had a chance to play together for a longer period of time.
    What does that have to do with comparing character and being loved by supporters?

I would also have liked to see them play together longer, if only to see Danny choke out DeRo after his cheque signing tom-foolery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He scored some nice ones for sure but he was extremely limited when it came to pace and that counts for a huge amount in the modern game. Dichio would have been great in the 70s but the game has moved on since then. My opinion is based on what has actually happened on the field and DeRo has scored more in one season than DD scored period. .
    This is what is wrong with the North American football fan. Simplisitc analyses. Football is not just about pace. Pace is easy to quantify, but MLS players for the most part are sub-par, and yet they have plenty of pace.

Dichio, had all the qualities that the average MLS striker did not have, positioning, appropriate skills set, tactical understanding, and just general footy IQ.

By the way, I like De Ro, and share Jloome assessemnt of him, and like Roogsy only wish that the two of them could have played together, Dichio as the CF, and De Ro as the SS/AM. Then we would trully had something in attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Agreed. That's my point. At the time he played, regardless of how much he played or the relative overall stats, position for position there weren't 10 guys I would've had ahead of him. Of the ones that immediately come to mind, they're pretty much all DPs. Montero came after, so did Nkufo.
    Agreed. Nkufo was the first DP that I trully wanted. I like Mista BUT I always thought that we needed a bigger CF to play along with all our mids.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio as the CF, and De Ro as the SS/AM.
    Listen Dero has his faults, but he's not THAT bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ For the sake of clarity SS= Second Striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Dichio an Robinson both were arguably the two most "professional" players this club has ever had.

They were leaders on and off the pitch, they never complained in public, they mentored younger players and they are the type of player this club has been without all season... and look how that worked out.

One player (Dichio) forced to retire, and one player(Robinson) whom people thought was an overpaid DM, run out of town to make space for a talented but in the wrong league overpaid DM (Deguzman), and don't forget Sam Cronin, another talented player lost because of poor management.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does that have to do with comparing character and being loved by supporters?

I would also have liked to see them play together longer, if only to see Danny choke out DeRo after his cheque signing tom-foolery.
    Because my position has been fairly consistent from the start. I could care less about character. All I care about is performance and that is why I love both of them. They are the only two players that have ever really come through for TFC. Why people love one more than the other to me is irrelevant to the product on the pitch. Neither of these guys affect my personal life therefore I could care less if they are the nicest people in the world or if they are absolute douchebags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if the "only" way you can look at this (read: I love all things DeRo) prevents you from commenting on the discussion, why continue to offer your opinion ad nauseum?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The same reason guys like Derek Jeter, Tim Duncan, David Robinson are more loved compared to Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Allen Iverson.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if the "only" way you can look at this (read: I love all things DeRo) prevents you from commenting on the discussion, why continue to offer your opinion ad nauseum?
    Because silly me I thought this was a discussion board... And since my comments actually are directly related to the Dichio/DeRo issue, I am not sure why I would be prevented from commenting? Weird...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Because my position has been fairly consistent from the start. I could care less about character. All I care about is performance and that is why I love both of them. They are the only two players that have ever really come through for TFC. Why people love one more than the other to me is irrelevant to the product on the pitch. Neither of these guys affect my personal life therefore I could care less if they are the nicest people in the world or if they are absolute douchebags.

Fairly consistent? LOL

Take a look at your posts about DeRo prior to his cheque signing bullshit.

We argued at length about whether or not he was a good leader. I said he wasn't and you waxed poetically about what nice dude he is and how much he cares.

Now you don't care if he's a douchebag?

wow.

ps....respond however you like but I just want you to know I'm not getting into a pissing match with you again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    Listen Dero has his faults, but he's not THAT bad.
    I agree that D$Ro is a good player, and so was Dichio, for me I loved Dichio for the first goal, love D$Ro for his many goals, but dislike D$Ro as a captain because he is far too selfish, there were many times when D$Ro seemed to give up and sit on the field sulking, where as Dichio knew his limitations and so did the coaches and the more Intelligent Supporters, and Dichio played as such.

My Opinion Only

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Fairly consistent? LOL

Take a look at your posts about DeRo prior to his cheque signing bullshit.

We argued at length about whether or not he was a good leader. I said he wasn't and you waxed poetically about what nice dude he is and how much he cares.

Now you don't care if he's a douchebag?

wow.

ps....respond however you like but I just want you to know I'm not getting into a pissing match with you again.

So this is just a drive-by post? No problem.

I stand by what I said. I have been consistent. If I haven't been consistent with my position, I wouldn't mind seeing it referenced so I can see my error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think his comment is in reference to your posts in the "cheque-signing" thread as well as this thread. In the cheque thread you wax eloquently about DeRo's passion, comittment, heart, blah blah, etc.... Essentially that he's not the asshole he seems to be, and we should all ignore his public display of douchebaggery. "He's not a douche, you must belive me!"

However....When it comes to why the supporters "love" Danny more (as is very evident in this thread) you dismiss character, attitude and leadership. "I don't care if he's a douche! And you shouldn't either!"

Basically, your motto is "whatever works best for DeRo". Fanboy personified.

Are you sure you're not him? It's getting creepy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are forgetting that when Dichio walked out onto our pitch we suddenly looked like a team. We lost 1-0 to Kansas city, but played the best football in our short history and suddenly looked competetive after humiliating defeats on the road.

The next game, he scored that goal, but less than half an hour later, he tried to take a bite out of a chicago player and got red carded. The crowd went wild, this guy wasnt just a great footy player, he was a fucking animal and when he was on the pitch the other team was scared and you could palpably feel that.

After that, Danny developed his relationship with the fans. He'd come to us when he scored, his celebrations were about the crowd, he'd rally us to cheer and make noise. He never said a bad word about Toronto or the team either, and he demonstrated his sincerity by bringing his family over and settling here and then accepting a paycut. He's taken a long term interest in the team, and contributed immensely to local youth development.

Often when you see Danny, he has a kid on his back and one on either side. He's a giant family guy, an exemplary role model for youngsters, and one of the best ambassadors for football in this city there could ever be.

DeRo's contribution has been to score goals, and speak up on issues such as fieldturf, pay imbalances and politicking in the locker room. Its possible he'll fuck off at the next opportunity and blame MLSE for making it impossible to stay or something. Danny didnt do that, despite geting shafted in MLSE's drive to develop another Edu for sale. he stuck it out and remains a presence at BMO on gameday.

Maybe if DeRo had found a way to get here in season one instead of bitching about the money, the turf and how his family loved living in Houston, things would be different and he would be the embodiment of the spirit of TFC, but thats not what happened. He needs to give us a cup to get even close to the same level of respect, being born in scarborough aint enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Dichio wasn't just "all-heart" - he had a ton of skill.

He still has had more beautiful plays leading to goals, or beautiful goals, than DeRo has had.
    This. I'll never forget that dirty fade he did where i'm pretty sure dero collected it and scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what is wrong with the North American football fan. Simplisitc analyses. Football is not just about pace. Pace is easy to quantify, but MLS players for the most part are sub-par, and yet they have plenty of pace.

Dichio, had all the qualities that the average MLS striker did not have, positioning, appropriate skills set, tactical understanding, and just general footy IQ.

By the way, I like De Ro, and share Jloome assessemnt of him, and like Roogsy only wish that the two of them could have played together, Dichio as the CF, and De Ro as the SS/AM. Then we would trully had something in attack.

It wasn't an analyses at all. It was a comment about one of his limitations not a comment about any otherMLS player. I would question your reference to 'what other MLS strikers did not have' too. There were plenty of good MLS strikers in our first 2 seasons. Thats why most teams finished above us. I could give you an analyses but i am not trying to dis Dichio. I thought he was a useful player. But like i said no more useful than many others we have had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    People are forgetting that when Dichio walked out onto our pitch we suddenly looked like a team. We lost 1-0 to Kansas city, but played the best football in our short history and suddenly looked competetive after humiliating defeats on the road.

The next game, he scored that goal, but less than half an hour later, he tried to take a bite out of a chicago player and got red carded. The crowd went wild, this guy wasnt just a great footy player, he was a fucking animal and when he was on the pitch the other team was scared and you could palpably feel that.

After that, Danny developed his relationship with the fans. He'd come to us when he scored, his celebrations were about the crowd, he'd rally us to cheer and make noise. He never said a bad word about Toronto or the team either, and he demonstrated his sincerity by bringing his family over and settling here and then accepting a paycut. He's taken a long term interest in the team, and contributed immensely to local youth development.

Often when you see Danny, he has a kid on his back and one on either side. He's a giant family guy, an exemplary role model for youngsters, and one of the best ambassadors for football in this city there could ever be.
    I just don't get this. I watch the same team as you. We never looked more or less a team when Dichio walked out. That's rose tinted horseshit. If you choose to believe that then fine but it isn't a fact anymore than say England looking like a team when John Terry walks out all puckered up and agressive. England were still crap at the WC.
    You like to see biting ? IS that the level you want to watch? Other teams were scared ? Right. That would explain our fabulous results. They were all trembling their way to 3 or 4 goal wins back then. We played the best football in our history ???? Are you kidding? I'm not doubting DD loved playing here but if fans select their favourites based on their goal celebrations, their rallying of the crowd (ie the south end... seems like that is the only part of the stadium at times on here) their family coming to games or all that stuff that then that is just plain daft. From a football POV thats the easiest thing to do aswell. I may be limited but i do a bit of badge kissing in front of the troops then i'm good. That may work for a lot of people on here but not me. This isn't even about Dichio or DeRo. Seems a lot of people are more interested in personality than ability. What chance have we got. That basically the problem with Toronto management these days. Thats why we are what we are basically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't get this. I watch the same team as you. We never looked more or less a team when Dichio walked out. That's rose tinted horseshit. If you choose to believe that then fine but it isn't a fact anymore than say England looking like a team when John Terry walks out all puckered up and agressive. England were still crap at the WC.
    You like to see biting ? IS that the level you want to watch? Other teams were scared ? Right. That would explain our fabulous results. They were all trembling their way to 3 or 4 goal wins back then. We played the best football in our history ???? Are you kidding? I'm not doubting DD loved playing here but if fans select their favourites based on their goal celebrations, their rallying of the crowd (ie the south end... seems like that is the only part of the stadium at times on here) their family coming to games or all that stuff that then that is just plain daft. From a football POV thats the easiest thing to do aswell. I may be limited but i do a bit of badge kissing in front of the troops then i'm good. That may work for a lot of people on here but not me. This isn't even about Dichio or DeRo. Seems a lot of people are more interested in personality than ability. What chance have we got. That basically the problem with Toronto management these days. Thats why we are what we are basically.
    Noticing that the team played more cohesively, and that the opposition became much more defensive when Danny played, is not rosetinted horseshit, its my analysis. Danny's first touch and passing ability were unseconded, and his physicality made opposition players nervous. i'll suggest that maybe you werent watching the same team or that your horseshit is possibly maple tinted?

The question is about why a legendary player gets more respect than a player who's greatest achievements are with other clubs, and whines a lot. It wasnt about who the better player was, btw.