Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why is Dichio more loved than DeRo?

I was just having a long discussion a friend of mine about this question. I'd say it's hard to deny that Dichio was always more loved than DeRo is now and probably will ever be. What do you guys think the reasons are for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you always remember your first love best.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know...maybe scoring our 1st goal as a franchise in league play...which lead to our 1st win. Maybe the tenacious way he played. He would actually show emotion on the field and not wait for a press conference. He bit a Fire player (that's why I love him).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio is seen as a 'more' Canadian player based on how we judge hockey players. De Ro produces more and adds more to the club but we view Dichio as someone who is more inline with the values which we live by.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its because Dichio shared the passion of the club. I remember when he scored in the south end he would run to the corner flag grabbing at his crest. He lived TFC and it was no surprise he wanted to stay on with the club after playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio had limited skill but massive heart. DeRo has massive skill but sometimes you wonder about where his spirit is.

Sure he is out there to compete every game, but unless he shows a little more team spirit and a little less "The DeRo Show" I can't see him being put on the wall of honour.
    Last edited by woolly; 10-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dero is like kanye west, dichio is more like billy bragg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Effort and results without the drama and ego.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio never thought he was bigger than the team. Never acted like a prima donna. Can't say the same for the other guy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio wasn't just "all-heart" - he had a ton of skill.

He still has had more beautiful plays leading to goals, or beautiful goals, than DeRo has had.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio an Robinson both were arguably the two most "professional" players this club has ever had.

They were leaders on and off the pitch, they never complained in public, they mentored younger players and they are the type of player this club has been without all season... and look how that worked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a similar comparison would be Rooney and Ronaldo when they played together at United. No doubt Ronaldo is blessed with incredible talent but you always got the feeling he was all about himself over the team. Rooney, still with incredible talent but 100% all about the team before himself. You never got the impression that Danny was looking for the glory for himself, it was always about the team, Dero not so much(although he always gives 100% effort).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Dichio wasn't just "all-heart" - he had a ton of skill.

He still has had more beautiful plays leading to goals, or beautiful goals, than DeRo has had.
    true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Dichio an Robinson both were arguably the two most "professional" players this club has ever had.

They were leaders on and off the pitch, they never complained in public, they mentored younger players and they are the type of player this club has been without all season... and look how that worked out.
    also very true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC attack with Dichio had purpose. Dichio played most of the game with his back to the opposing goal with his primary role to bring down balls for his strike partners which he did well. While some may not appreciate this type of football, it worked to some extent in year one.

The last few years our attack has looked piecemeal at best....or moreover whatever DeRo or Guevara could muster up/improvise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio played for TFC, DeRo plays for DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio also played at a time when the TFC experiance was still all smiles und sunshine.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post

Well that's 100% false...

Moving on...

Dichio was loved for a few reasons. One of them (unfortunately) is that there were zero expectations... In Season-1, Dichio scored with the final kick of the season to earn a 2-2 draw, and a last place spot in the standings - but I cheered like it was a 94th minute MLS Cup winning goal...

If DeRo scores a goal this season, in the exact same circumstance, people will be pissed - because the expectations are much higher...

Dichio also has that "Toronto Grit" that Toronto fans love to adore. Darcy Tucker, decent NHL player who had a great career (not taking anything away from him) but he was loved much more than Sundin, Joseph, Kaberle etc - players who were much more important to the team...

We're seeing that same 'Tucker love' with Gargan. And I must admit, I love Gargan on the roster too - but he's not our top player or most important...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio had and still has a very good football brain. On top of that, he's hard as fuck. He put the team before himself.

Dero, although skilled, could never play at the level Dichio played in his prime. I don't think his ego leaves much room for a decent footballing brain.

Dero is Scarborough. Dichio is downtown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio DJ's and Dero Doesn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio = Heart & Soul of Toronto FC

DeRo = Dwayne De Rosario 1st... Team 2nd
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Well that's 100% false...

Moving on...

Dichio was loved for a few reasons. One of them (unfortunately) is that there were zero expectations... In Season-1, Dichio scored with the final kick of the season to earn a 2-2 draw, and a last place spot in the standings - but I cheered like it was a 94th minute MLS Cup winning goal...

If DeRo scores a goal this season, in the exact same circumstance, people will be pissed - because the expectations are much higher...

Dichio also has that "Toronto Grit" that Toronto fans love to adore. Darcy Tucker, decent NHL player who had a great career (not taking anything away from him) but he was loved much more than Sundin, Joseph, Kaberle etc - players who were much more important to the team...

We're seeing that same 'Tucker love' with Gargan. And I must admit, I love Gargan on the roster too - but he's not our top player or most important...

Carts...

QFFT...

I love Danny...always will. But the love we have for him is irrational. He came here on the downside of his career, gave love to this city and we fell in love with him like a highschool girl loves a highschool quarterback. It's puppy love.

So what do we do? Fall in love wtih Gargan. Toronto fans are weird that way.

DeRo doesn't have the same appeal as Danny much like Sundin never had the same appeal as Clark. Which was more talented? Which had better numbers. And you will find either side will argue about which had more "heart". But in the end, both deserved to be loved but only one really was. It's too bad.

For me? I am thankful we have our own "Sundin". And much like Sundin, he can't do it on his own considering the talent he has around him. Much like Sundin was blamed for "never getting us any success" so is DeRo. The plain fact is we put too much expectations on these players to carry teams on their backs when nobody can really be expected to do that with an undertalented team. All great teams have had great supporting players to their superstars. Magic had Kareem and company. Jordan had Pippen and company. I don't understand why we expect DeRo to get us into the playoffs when the team built by Preki couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of $20s.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 10-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't try to sell that Dero=Sundin comparison too hard.

In 2002, Sundin took less money than he could have made on the open market to stay in Toronto.

When Sundin scored, he always went straight to the guy who fed him the puck. Always. He never, ever showed up a teammate or complained to the media, and he had a ton of reasons to do both.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-03-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't try to sell that Dero=Sundin comparison too hard.

Sundin took less money than he could have made on the open market to stay in Toronto.

When Sundin scored, he always went straight to the guy who fed him the puck. Always. He never, ever showed up a teammate or complained to the media, and he had a ton of reasons to do both.
    No comparison is ever exact Ensco, come on. Every comparison can always be broken down into details and shown why they aren't "exact".

The point is both players love Toronto, both players are talented, both players played on undertalented teams and both players were expected to carry their teams to unreasonable success without the proper tools.

Sundin is white, DeRo is brown. Sundin isn't Canadian, DeRo is. Sundin never won a championship, DeRo has. The differences are extensive. It doesn't make the similarities any less important.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 10-03-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    QFFT...

I love Danny...always will. But the love we have for him is irrational. He came here on the downside of his career, gave love to this city and we fell in love with him like a highschool girl loves a highschool quarterback. It's puppy love.

So what do we do? Fall in love wtih Gargan. Toronto fans are weird that way.

DeRo doesn't have the same appeal as Danny much like Sundin never had the same appeal as Clark. Which was more talented? Which had better numbers. And you will find either side will argue about which had more "heart". But in the end, both deserved to be loved but only one really was. It's too bad.

For me? I am thankful we have our own "Sundin". And much like Sundin, he can't do it on his own considering the talent he has around him. Much like Sundin was blamed for "never getting us any success" so is DeRo. The plain fact is we put too much expectations on these players to carry teams on their backs when nobody can really be expected to do that with an undertalented team. All great teams have had great supporting players to their superstars. Magic had Kareem and company. Jordan had Pippen and company. I don't understand why we expect DeRo to get us into the playoffs when the team built by Preki couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of $20s.
    Spot on. Especially about the scoring in a whorehouse with a fistful of $20s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post

Ouch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    No comparison is ever exact Ensco, come on. Every comparison can always be broken down into details and shown why they aren't "exact".

The point is both players love Toronto, both players are talented, both players played on undertalented teams and both players were expected to carry their teams to unreasonable success without the proper tools.

Sundin is white, DeRo is brown. Sundin wasn't Canadian, DeRo is. Sundin never won a championship, DeRo has. The differences are extensive. It doesn't make the similarities any less imprortant.
    The comparison bugs me because Sundin was such an exemplar of professionalism, Dichio was too (I don't seem to recall Danny publicly protesting when Mo cut his salary).

Dero isn't handling himself like a true pro. It's bigger than the cheque writing thing, for all his talent he's a diva out there.

You see it differently, anyone who plowed through the Dero thread knows that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why the hate for dero...the guy works his ass off played almost every min of every game,wtf.
    is this not a supporters site??
    its become a player basher site..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comparison bugs me because Sundin was such an exemplar of professionalism, Dichio was too (I don't seem to recall Danny publicly protesting when Mo cut his salary).

Dero isn't handling himself like a true pro. It's bigger than the cheque writing thing, for all his talent he's a diva out there.

You see it differently, anyone who plowed through the Dero thread knows that!
    I don't deny the difference in attitude and conduct on the field. I don't recall Sundin ever sending the Leafs/MLSE a message the way DeRo did. I am not willingly ignoring the facts here Ensco. But are you telling me that people were aware of what DeRo was going to do last week prior to his doing it? If not, then last week's brainfart isn't the reason why people don't love DeRo as much. Is it his chicken dance? Perhaps.

Either way, if people live and die on "professionalism", why is it that Sundin was not as loved as Clark? Both conducted themselves well on and off the ice but one had huge numbers and the other didn't. That is my only point.

We have our own Sundin in terms of numbers. In terms of talent. In terms of being surrounded by journeymen and plumbers and having to carry the weight on their own. I never said it was in terms of attitude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    why the hate for dero...the guy works his ass off played almost every min of every game,wtf.
    is this not a supporters site??
    its become a player basher site..
    You must be new to this supporter's thing! Check out how some Milan ultras treated Paolo Maldini after his last game (having played for the club for 24 years and won a dozen Scudettos and CLs)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy...-paolo-maldini