Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Security at it again; same personnel, same problems

Of all the issues with security in the past 4 years that have been brought up on this board, I had never actually experienced any sort of interaction with stadium personnel and security until tonight.

The National Soccer Stadium was able to squeeze in 2 000 spectators tonight, for the Women's International friendly between Canada and China. Naturally being a supporter of the home team, I wasn't shy about showing my passion and exuberance, neither were the two other supporters I was with.

We purchased our tickets at the box office prior to kick-off. Specifically requesting south-end tickets, we were told that the south and north ends were closed. So we were seated in the front-row of section 122, normally prawn central, it was a mix of folks as the tickets were only $25.

From the onset of the match, we made our volume known. We were very cautious to take note of the families around us, and do our best to keep the support PG. Loud and proud, but no swearing. Almost immediately after taking our seats, the only field level security that I could see was planted squarely in front of us. It was the eeyore looking security guy that is commonly around the south-east corner. He is shortly relieved by a younger guy, but not before they share a few whispers into each others ear and look at where we are sitting.

Throughout the first half, anything louder then a golf clap is met with a glare from which ever "security" happens to be in holding down the fort. Feeling uneasy, at the half, we decide to return to the seats we paid for in the second half. Our time in the concourse must have been during a stadium staff pow-wow.

10 minutes into the second half. One of the supporters I was with yelled "Step on their throats." Probably not the most complimntary thing, but figuratively speaking, its rather tame.

the inexperianced security guard of east-asian descent decides enough cheering is enough. He somehow manages to stumble words out of his mouth, that ultimately amounted to "if I hear one more thing come out of your mouth that I don't like, your outta here".

The fellow supporter requests to see the boss of this induvidual. In comes a big rural-area-looking gentleman, with a goatee. He repeats to quiet down, and that he has heard us swearing all game from his control centre post at the centre-line of midfield. Upon being notified that there have been no swear words being yelled, he goes directly to power-trip plan B...EJECTION!!!

While it was only the one person that was being ejected, the other two of us known entrapment when we see it. As opposed to giving the minimum-wage testostorone boys the satisfaction of BS'ing us, we stick with our man, and leave voluntarily. Our depature was much to the dismay of the people around us, families, groups of adults, induviduals. Appreciative of the passion we brought, now being forced out of the stadium, for what?

Unfortunately, this is neither the first time I have encountered being treated like a second class citizen because I passionately cheer for Canada, IN CANADA. Nor is it the first I have heard of issues with security at the stadium.

For the people I was with, this is the straw that broke the camels back. Between them, a dozen TFC season tickets that won't be renewed. Who knows what it means for future Canadian National Team support, and with a 10% capacity tonight, I am not sure alienating the few proud supporters is the best way to go. Maybe its not the CSA's direct fault, but they can't be that oblivious to the quality (of lack thereof) regarding the stadium operations at that venue.

I am not really concerned with the specific issues of tonight, whats done is done. I just want to know when it will change. Season V...Season I staff training. At this rate, there won't be a Season VI.

Maybe these stadium workers got a promotion or a raise, they were definitely patting themselves on the back for getting rid of the troublemakers.I use descriptions of the staff solely as identifiers, I have seen them before, and next time I see I will take pictures and update this thread. Accountability is long overdue. Fellow supporters need to know when they are being targeted.

When will it end?

Last edited by werewolf; 09-30-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security remains a joke @ BMO. Although they aren't giving us problems about shirts off, they just find a way to make themselves look like power tripping idiots. I haven't met them all, but there are a few that understand but most don't give a fuck. I guess that's what happens when you pay a bunch of wannabe cops minimum wage.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a very sour experince in 115 the other night. It seems nothing gets through to anyone.

I am sick of being hunted at BMO.
    Last edited by Phil; 09-30-2010 at 11:40 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for the record your saying you got kicked out of a Women's soccer game? Nice. On topic: the only issue i've ever seen with BMO security was with a vuvuzela in 111 but they backed off eventually when the entire section did the "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO Security fucks it up again? Big surprise...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been saying it for years, soccer establishment in Toronto doesnt want supporters and are pricing/throwing us out of matches for ridiculous things. Most of the security guys are douchebags.

Congratulations on getting booted at the womens NT match.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Been saying it for years, soccer establishment in Toronto doesnt want supporters and are pricing/throwing us out of matches for ridiculous things.
    Sorry, that sounds a bit silly - "soccer establishment"? I wouldn't make any connection between TFC and the women's NT, so the only establishment is security

Most of the security guys are douchebags.

Congratulations on getting booted at the womens NT match.
    I heartily agree with both of these statements.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long until BMO Field becomes one of Toronto's biggest white elephants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE fucks up again,thats it im not go renew for sure now,

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do know they don't own the national team, yeah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes kevvv i know that...just wanted to hijack this thread and make it another we hate MLSE thread,after all we got about 30 threads going at once and its really getting boring..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto the anal.
    They were trying to throw out the guy who tossed back A-Rod's home run ball at the dome the other night.
    Jays' pitcher Billy Tallet even went over to tell the "cops" that he had urged the fan to throw the ball, just so they don't kick the poor bastard out.

T.O.: No Fun Allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a joke...

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know for a fact that with games like this, its not as much MLSE but lack of direction by the CSA on how to enforce rules in the stands.

It may be the same guards, but they have no direction on what to do.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were given grief after the last TFC game while folding banners. Apparently there were too many of us in the area in front of the capo stands (maybe 7 people). God forbid we want to fold up our banners and GTFO as fast as we can. 1 guy went as far as continually repeating that there should only be 1 of us there at any given time. Fuck man, as if a few supporters there post game in a nearly empty stadium post some kind of a fucken hazard. Eventually they let us get on with it, but it just left an extra bad taste in my mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    I had a very sour experince in 115 the other night. It seems nothing gets through to anyone.

I am sick of being hunted at BMO.
    Whereabouts in the section were you? I was in row 12, and security came into my row for god knows what reason.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    Whereabouts in the section were you? I was in row 12, and security came into my row for god knows what reason.
    Row 9 here.

They were bugging the guy who brings his flag for EVERY game for the last 4 years, saying he can't wave it, supporters sections are only in the 'corners'.

Anyhow we all had a very reasonable discussion afterwords with all parties and they geniuinly said that they would look into it for their own educational purposes.

Seriously though, 4 years in and we are still trying to figure out that the south end is allowed to have flags?

I do wonder what they actually tell these guys.

I talked with security at the last friendly Canada game and they dont even get direction for those games so what happened last night doesn't really surprise me in the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's some grade-A bullshit. Security is a total joke. The guy with the flag is one of the best at rallying fans and supporters in 115. Way to go security.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there some prerequisite that Toronto Security guards have an IQ of 80 or less???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why were yelling and screaming? And what possible reason would you have to say something like "Step on their Throats"? That isn't support.

I'm also confused as to why you are describing people by ethnicity? What does it matter if the guy was of South East Asian Decent?

I understand the desire to support the girls and had I had the night off I would have been there myself, but what possible reason would you have to swear, and be loud enough to actually cause a problem in the first place?

The fact that you paid that much attention to security suggest that you and those your were with were already overly sensitive, and if you were yelling things like step on their throats or anything close to that then I can understand, you are representing Canada, Vulgar, racists and violent comments have no place at an international FRIENDLY. (unless directed at poor calls by a ref of course).

Security at BMO can be a bit of a joke, but based on the crowd and story and wording you used I think you guys may have blown it up and caused the issue your self.

Your behaviour reflexs on the whole country, and "Step on their throats" is a disgusting comment. You should have apologized, worked with the security guard a little instead of taking the stance you did. It's one thing at a TFC game with 20,000 and we are fighting for a play spot but at a friendly there are better ways to cheer with out shouting violent comments and being needlessly obnoxious.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there should be a rule. you cant wave a flag during the game unless you are wearing a blindfold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell does it matter if that security guard was of East-Asian decent? Why is that important to the situation, and why did that have to be mentioned?

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Why were yelling and screaming? And what possible reason would you have to say something like "Step on their Throats"? That isn't support.

I'm also confused as to why you are describing people by ethnicity? What does it matter if the guy was of South East Asian Decent?

I understand the desire to support the girls and had I had the night off I would have been there myself, but what possible reason would you have to swear, and be loud enough to actually cause a problem in the first place?

The fact that you paid that much attention to security suggest that you and those your were with were already overly sensitive, and if you were yelling things like step on their throats or anything close to that then I can understand, you are representing Canada, Vulgar, racists and violent comments have no place at an international FRIENDLY. (unless directed at poor calls by a ref of course).

Security at BMO can be a bit of a joke, but based on the crowd and story and wording you used I think you guys may have blown it up and caused the issue your self.

Your behaviour reflexs on the whole country, and "Step on their throats" is a disgusting comment. You should have apologized, worked with the security guard a little instead of taking the stance you did. It's one thing at a TFC game with 20,000 and we are fighting for a play spot but at a friendly there are better ways to cheer with out shouting violent comments and being needlessly obnoxious.

this post is terrible....you should all ignore this post. Just forget you ever read it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    What the hell does it matter if that security guard was of East-Asian decent? Why is that important to the situation, and why did that have to be mentioned?
    I use descriptions of the staff solely as identifiers, I have seen them before, and next time I see I will take pictures and update this thread.
    read

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    this post is terrible....you should all ignore this post. Just forget you ever read it.
    actually no it's p. incredible, especially the part where he says being racist is completely unacceptable unless the ref provokes it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    Toronto the anal.
    They were trying to throw out the guy who tossed back A-Rod's home run ball at the dome the other night.
    Jays' pitcher Billy Tallet even went over to tell the "cops" that he had urged the fan to throw the ball, just so they don't kick the poor bastard out.

T.O.: No Fun Allowed.
    That was the highlite of the game! Outside of BMO I don't know the last time I saw Toronto fans as rowdy as that. It was nice to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

You're dumb

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    Sorry, that sounds a bit silly - "soccer establishment"? I wouldn't make any connection between TFC and the women's NT, so the only establishment is security

MLSE, BMO field, CSA and to an extent certain media outlets that over the years have published ridiculous articles insinuating supporters here are similar to violent hooligans in Europe.

Its not so silly when you look at the body of work these groups have waged against us.
    Last edited by J .; 10-01-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: fix quote marks

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    MLSE, BMO field, CSA and to an extent certain media outlets that over the years have published ridiculous articles insinuating supporters here are similar to violent hooligans in Europe.

Its not so silly when you look at the body of work these groups have waged against us.
    I'm going to call you out on this. This is an outright lie. MLSE and BMO Field have never published anything claiming we are hooligans.

The National Post ran one sensationalist article claiming hooliganism in Columbus after some fans peed on a fence near a church building and one guy was tasered. There have been some negative articles in some media outlets over the years, for example when two guys threw flares and a woman was burnt as a result. But even the media has been mostly respectful.

If you have proof that MLSE has claimed we are hooligans, post the link now or shut up.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-01-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto