View Poll Results: What is the best way to protest during the end of the year?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attend Columbus game - Protest at stadium (chants, "walk the line", literary campaign)

31 22.63%
  • Do not attend Columbus game

18 13.14%
  • I'd be willing to attend/not attend the Columbus game depending on group concensus

9 6.57%
  • Attend MLS Cup game - - Protest at stadium (chants, "walk the line", literary campaign)

24 17.52%
  • Do not attend MLS Cup game

42 30.66%
  • I'd be willing to attend/not attend the MLS Cup game depending on group concensus

13 9.49%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    Don't go to the MLS cup.
    If you bought a ticket, eat it. I know this is hard to ask for, but if you are not prepared to do this, then you really aren't prepared to protest and put your money where your mouth is.
    Nothing would get them more...NOTHING...then to have an empty house on their big day.
    ^+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I wasn't at the DCU game, but I hear there was a raucous rendition of "We're Not Gonna Take It".

With that in mind, I propose, beginning at 112 (natch), at some point (I suggest the 75th minute) rank and file begin to chant 'We're not gonna take it, No, we're not gonna take it, we're not gonna take it anymore".

When they're properly loud, they begin to file out of their seats to the concourse. Once there, continuing to chant, they proceed in both directions around the stadium picking up anyone else who wants to join in the throng. It'll be easy to recognise by anyone in the stands and if they want to join in they can just leave their seats.

As the throng reaches the north end of the stadium the goal is to surround
    the owner's box. NEE can move over to let more people in to chant.

We can take over the part of the Carlsberg patio under the north stand.

If we can get onto the patio area in front of them, then lets do that to.

Thoughts ?
    I really like that idea. Have the group leave 112. Hopefully all of 113 will follow us, but theres a good chance they wont.

If they do, then 112 goes to one side and up, gathering people, and 113 goes the other way.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ don't leave it to chance - tell them that's what we're gonna do and it's gonna be huge - be a part of it - get in MLSE's face on the last game of the season. Start spreading the word during the 2nd half. We can hand out leaflets if we need to.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    I really like that idea. Have the group leave 112. Hopefully all of 113 will follow us, but theres a good chance they wont.

If they do, then 112 goes to one side and up, gathering people, and 113 goes the other way.
    you cant hope on this. its something that needs to be planned. This is why i would have to say that this is a long shot. The areas of people gone has to be large or else people will just fill the spots.

I have some ideas - i will take the weekend and will most likely formalize more at the end of the weekend. stay tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook Group for Toronto FC Fans who are sick of losing. Lets make a statement!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122487841138163

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies only shirts off = best protest ever.

in fact, forget protest, lets just make this happen.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    you cant hope on this. its something that needs to be planned. This is why i would have to say that this is a long shot. The areas of people gone has to be large or else people will just fill the spots.

I have some ideas - i will take the weekend and will most likely formalize more at the end of the weekend. stay tuned
    I didnt mean hopefully we can coerce them that day. If that is something that we may want to strive to do, then we would need to talk to some of the higher up's in U-Sector to see if they would go along with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Ladies only shirts off = best protest ever.

in fact, forget protest, lets just make this happen.
    We have a winner!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these protests are going to fail so hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    then it will fit right in at BMO Field 2010....2009....2008....2007.... oh dear.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's because organizing people here is like herding particularly stubborn cats

everyone is a beautiful snowflake! just do your own thing! yay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ one thing I would like to ask all the doubters, is what about the current trend doesn't worry you enough to get off your chair and do something?

Does it not occur to you that the stadium will be half empty almost every game next year unless things change dramatically? Are you basically implying that you have absolutely no balls to stick up for the team you've been a die-hard for now for 4 years?

The only protest I've gotten involved in over the past years was the one where we protested outside gate 4 - it was well organized and surely heard by head office. Things are at a much worse point now though.

If you'd like to sit back, relax and enjoy, then go ahead. I never do anything half-assed, so if you think I'm trying in vain, just watch...

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post

Thanks homey. Youre pretty great too.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

(@ wowza) so sit back and watch - take it all in. Either way you'll be happy.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    Thanks homey. Youre pretty great too.
    (not you, you're the snowflake that dropped over hamilton harbour)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn the march to the Columbus game into a funeral procession for the death of pro footy in Toronto. Casket and all. Remind MLSE that they can kill it as fast as they made it popular. All black at the game and no chants period. Even anti MLSE. THATS WHAT I'D DO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's because organizing people here is like herding particularly stubborn cats

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    then it will fit right in at BMO Field 2010....2009....2008....2007.... oh dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    (@ wowza) so sit back and watch - take it all in. Either way you'll be happy.

fellas, don't get me wrong. i love the fact that we're protesting.. but i've been saying it for the past couple of weeks now:

WHAT DO WE WANT?

protesting is akin to a hostage situation, you have to make demands. you have to WANT something. you can't take a hostage and then just say "i'm doing this because i'm mad, now recognize that i'm mad!". how are MLSE supposed to respond to that? "hey guys, we understand that you're mad, we'll do better". who would take that as an acceptable response? look at our past protests, we wanted:

grass - we got
    a DP - we got
    mo gone - we got

each of those three times we asked something of MLSE. are we asking for them to drop SSH prices? take the MLS cup game off of the SSH pricetag? are we asking them to field a proper team? a competent GM/coach? we won't accomplish anything because we aren't asking for anything. we aren't trying to find resolutions as to how they can make amends with the fans, we're just being angry.

we have several different supporters clubs launching several protest, and none of them are providing ways in which MLSE can fix this. until we start trying to find solutions instead of just saying "holy shit! look at the SSH packages" or "wow, so many players, so many coaches!" we're going to continue to be the angry toronto sports fan.

until then, i reiterate, that's why these protests are going to fail.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want my $5 beers we were promised

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

said more eloquently by pekduck:

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    No defined objective or feasible result targets. Need to be result oriented with all actions. The anger and emotion was understood and well noted regarding to price increase and forced inclusion of MLS Cup tickets by media. Protesting or tifo for the sake to make a statement (but have no following up quantifiable demands or metrics of identifying results) and release the collective disgust and anger (release the emotion and finding camaraderie along with other victims of MLSE) in my mind is about as effective as Weight Watcher group support meetings taking place in a stadium.

I'm with ensco and Hal. The key is that all of us want to see change but want to utilize the protest and tifo to obtain tangible results. Group protest is just a negotiation medium to achieve results.

Just to air out the grief without obtaining feasible results is as effective as a sales person pays the tabs of all of his prospects but never ask to close the sale to bring in revenues.

Having said those, let's see what the final details of the day will be. I don't support a mindless protest but given it's a group, I'll still do it this time simply because we need to maintain a cohesive group culture. None of the "if I don't like it, then i won't participate" crap.

edit: well of course, if the final decision is to set MLSE's HQ on fire and committing arson, then I'm out,

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a defined objective: how about a team that we aren't ashamed of. I'm not asking for a mls cup. I'm not asking for CCL Glory. All I want is a team that isn't a god damn embarrassment. Its disgusting and I for one do not want to be a Leafs fan.
    Last edited by s2cazz; 10-01-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHAT DO WE WANT?

protesting is akin to a hostage situation, you have to make demands.
    I know what I want. I want the MLS Cup ticket to be an option. I want to not have to pay for tickets for games that may never occur (CCL matches in package). I want a freeze on price increases until the onfield product appears to be moving in the right direction.

I also want the FO to actually appear to care about the fans and stop being so arrogant about the way they think they can just keep charging us more and more.

I don't need an organized protest. I've already designed my own protest. My 4 season tickets will become 2. My 1 or 2 beer purchases per match have become 0. I will no longer buy any team merchandise.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

had a nice long serious post, but the crux of the matter is that i sort of feel the exec has to come out and tell us what we as a group want. it doesn't really matter what i personally want, because i'm just one person, and as long as The Vision is in the ballpark of what i think is correct, i'll go along. i'm sure most people feel the same.

the problem is the exec cares too much about being inclusive. be bold, draw the line, and say this is whats up, or get the fuck out. to be honest, we have such an opportunity to get up someones asshole at this final, but we need some leadership.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

had a nice long serious post, but the crux of the matter is that i sort of feel the exec has to come out and tell us what we as a group want. it doesn't really matter what i personally want, because i'm just one person, and as long as The Vision is in the ballpark of what i think is correct, i'll go along. i'm sure most people feel the same.

the problem is the exec cares too much about being inclusive. be bold, draw the line, and say this is whats up, or get the fuck out. to be honest, we have such an opportunity to get up someones asshole at this final, but we need some leadership.

^ agreed.
    exec needs to have feedback, yeah. they're never going to express the views of all of us, but they represent all of us. you have the people who'll support the issue, people who'll support because it's the RPB (although they may not agree 100%) and those (the very slim few) who just up and leave because they don't agree and wouldn't care to support the group.

i fear bureaucracy is going to be the death of everything we've built.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I know what I want. I want the MLS Cup ticket to be an option. I want to not have to pay for tickets for games that may never occur (CCL matches in package). I want a freeze on price increases until the onfield product appears to be moving in the right direction.

I also want the FO to actually appear to care about the fans and stop being so arrogant about the way they think they can just keep charging us more and more.

I don't need an organized protest. I've already designed my own protest. My 4 season tickets will become 2. My 1 or 2 beer purchases per match have become 0. I will no longer buy any team merchandise.

Don't really think I can say it better....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year: Watch the Columbus game at Shoeless Joes.
    * Next year: No concession or souvenir purchases. Ever.

* For those who are returning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There it is.

Articulated perfectly why I'm not a member, but am fully on-side if there's even a marginally agreeable objective, and a plan for protest.

The dollar-sign two-sticks and flags didn't have any firmly outlined contract or demands. It was to show the management that we're on to their bullshit, compared to just chanting, singing (rain or shine, getting fucked or not) and acting like everything is fine.

If we protest during the MLS Cup, no matter what it is, sitting, wearing black and not chanting, walking in at 15 minutes, whatever it is, the dissatisfaction will be noticed.

Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way, nor acquainted with NEE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LCB View Post
    There it is.

Articulated perfectly why I'm not a member, but am fully on-side if there's even a marginally agreeable objective, and a plan for protest.

The dollar-sign two-sticks and flags didn't have any firmly outlined contract or demands. It was to show the management that we're on to their bullshit, compared to just chanting, singing (rain or shine, getting fucked or not) and acting like everything is fine.

If we protest during the MLS Cup, no matter what it is, sitting, wearing black and not chanting, walking in at 15 minutes, whatever it is, the dissatisfaction will be noticed.

Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way, nor acquainted with NEE.

^^+1

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    How about waiting until the absolute last minute to renew your tickets for next year. Make them earn our money by calling and causing concern about renewal numbers to the high up suits.
    If they see anger on here, but see a decent renewal so far its all for nothing.
    I'm sorry FORREST, but stupid is as stupid does... The only message that will really get through is not renewing your season tickets - period. This mamby pamby thinking of "wait to the last moment to renew" is just wimpy dream world stupidity on your part. They don't give a rat's ass if you pay them on October 1st or 15th - they have your money either way... suckaa... If you want to bend over, then bend over - but don't imagine for an instant that you have them worried, once you bend over.

Banners will send a message on the 16th, but if you have renewed on the 15th you are part of the problem, rather than the solution....

The stronger the message we can give ML$E, by not renewing, the greater the likelihood we can save this team from extinction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just throwing this out as a protest idea: at the last home game of the season against Columbus, there could be a giant barbecue outside of the stadium. On the menu? Tickets for the Arabe Unido CCL game! Such a display would not only show the value of the tickets being burned, but it would be fitting given that tailgating has always been popular amongst RPBs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think there should be any protest at the Unido game. We were never expected to get past that round, and the coach that sent out the scrubs for those games, is now gone.

If something must be done at the Unido game, do it speaking out against their diving tactics, not our FO.