View Poll Results: What is the best way to protest during the end of the year?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attend Columbus game - Protest at stadium (chants, "walk the line", literary campaign)

31 22.63%
  • Do not attend Columbus game

18 13.14%
  • I'd be willing to attend/not attend the Columbus game depending on group concensus

9 6.57%
  • Attend MLS Cup game - - Protest at stadium (chants, "walk the line", literary campaign)

24 17.52%
  • Do not attend MLS Cup game

42 30.66%
  • I'd be willing to attend/not attend the MLS Cup game depending on group concensus

13 9.49%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this: http://www.english.cciv.cityu.edu.hk/jiedan/jingzhe.php

Not to the extreme of burning effigies, but still beating them up metaphorically.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS cup game is not the place to voice your opinion. League game or a visual public display at BMO like a walking rally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonfan View Post
    through a god damn smoke bomb in pu*ssy ass garber and peddies face well ur at it... cause some havic at the cup game. have some pride in being a supporter..or so thats what u call urselfs
    why don't you? oh yeah that's right, your just spewing bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    This is not Europe,here everyone thinks he has the right to do what he thinks is "right thing" to do,instead of following the group and majority.
    I'm surprised that cheerleaders did not jumped on you already,since you know"we have to support boys on the pitch no matter what",we can't just walk out or at least turn our backs to the pitch.

Its better to do it the Canadian way talk talk talk and do nothing about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenchen29 View Post
    MLS cup game is not the place to voice your opinion. League game or a visual public display at BMO like a walking rally.

300% true MLS Cup have nothing to do with it

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you thinking?? Of course it is the perfect place - the only thing that MLSE worries about is loss of money. BAD PUBLICITY hits their bottom line hard and they cannot control it. BAD PUBLICITY spirals and builds momentum - we already have bad articles in the Globe, CBC and others - MLS Cup is the BEST Place to hit 'em where it hurts - nothing worse than a TV commentator talking about the pathetic job they have done, fan protest, value of tickets plumetiing - very poor season ticket renewal -droves of empty seats at the cup,, pathetic product on the field, etc. THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL PRODUCE SUBSTANTIVE change - ML$E only speaks this language - comprendez?

We have to capture the mindspace of the folk on the waiting list - that it is a poor entertainment return for the dollars - tickets too expensive. Once the waiting list disappears in a puff of smoke THEN YOU HAVE SOME PRESSURE on ML$E for some change.
    Last edited by maximo_rpd; 10-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    Its funny how the supporters groups, those who led the way into making this such an amazing sporting experience that Toronto hasn't seen before, is taking the backseat in the fight against MLSE. Its the casual fans who are going to be the ones who really make a difference. They are the ones who protest with their wallets.
    I will say this...at least NEE has always stood by their beliefs although I haven't always agreed with their methods. But in this case, I would have to agree that it would seem like pretty much everybody else is committing themselves to acting EXCEPT the biggest supprorters group. I certainly hope that isn't the ultimate result and this group realizes what a pivotal moment this is and that we need to be a part of it. But if the group isn't officially on board, I know individual RPBs will be.

What I'd like to know is can we get to a consensus on what to do? It needs to be one idea that will get sufficient support to have an effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would mostley have to disagree with "maximo rpd" as TFC is a ML$E problem and not a league problem and no matter how many people show up with banners or don't show up MLS's focus will be on the final and the two teams participating. None or little will be brought up on national television regarding the issue of ML$E nor do the other city's fans and the league will not focus on internal issues. If the Red Bulls make the final droves of people will be out to see Henry and that will be the top story guaranteed. Your banners will quickly be removed by security.

How many superbowls, world series, stanley cups have disgruntled fans from bottom teams protested succesfully and got publicity at the final?

The league and ML$E are well aware of the issues!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would mostley have to disagree with "maximo rpd" as TFC is a ML$E problem and not a league problem and no matter how many people show up with banners or don't show up MLS's focus will be on the final and the two teams participating. None or little will be brought up on national television regarding the issue of ML$E nor do the other city's fans and the league will not focus on internal issues. If the Red Bulls make the final droves of people will be out to see Henry and that will be the top story guaranteed. Your banners will quickly be removed by security.

How many superbowls, world series, stanley cups have disgruntled fans from bottom teams protested succesfully and got publicity at the final?

The league and ML$E are well aware of the issues!
    You respectfully miss the boat.

The MLS, including Commissioner Garber, holds the TFC ownership group as the "blueprint" for how to run a successful franchise.

I think this is the perfect time and place to let the MLS know how we feel about their "perfect model."

There is also opportunity. While people might want to go see Henry... 16,000 tickets will already be sold to people who... if they choose to... will not go see Henry and not resell them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS Cup is not the place to protest.

Take a look at games played in Columbus. On the MLS site you will rarely see photos or video highlights that show empty seats. If the Cup game is not well attended (or any other protest occurs) you will get the same treatment. Any protest would be marginalized.

Regardless, a good number of supporters are not renewing due to the price increase and/or financial reasons so it's unlikely that you will get a large enough group to 1) Renew their seats at the higher price AND 2) Eat the value of their MLS cup tickets.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have my doubts about staging a boycott of the MLS Cup.
    It seems to me that our message would get across better be doing something at the game.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    You respectfully miss the boat.

The MLS, including Commissioner Garber, holds the TFC ownership group as the "blueprint" for how to run a successful franchise.

I think this is the perfect time and place to let the MLS know how we feel about their "perfect model."

There is also opportunity. While people might want to go see Henry... 16,000 tickets will already be sold to people who... if they choose to... will not go see Henry and not resell them.
    Pookie hit the nail right on the head - MLSE has handed us the tool to protest - DO NOT SHOW UP - they can try to "gloss over" empty stands but they can't do much if the people forced to buy tickets don't show up - THAT IS A NEWS STORY - MLS and ML$E can't control news stories like this.

The problem is Glenechen29, that you don't see the problem - if you have a better idea of how hurt MLSE by embarassing them bad, or hitting them hard in the pocketbook - lets hear it. Just because TV coverage might not give the empty stands a lot of air time hardly matters - it is local Toronto coverage in the media that will cause the harm to MLSE - look at the bad press they have had in the past week! More bad coverage and further overt and loud pressure from the fans will result in very poor season ticket uptake - the only real monetary pressure we have. The MLS Cup dive bomb strategy affects ML$E's relationship with the league and hits their egos - they still think they are the ones with the "magic sauce" that made Toronto FC great. The message has to be made clear to them - ML$E is the "puke-sauce" that has caused terrible decline in the club the last two years, and the strong supporter fan base is the "magic-sauce".

The problem is that many of you are afraid - afraid of losing these "valuable" season tickets, afraid of missing the Toronto FC magic of 2007 + 2008. I have news for you - the tickets are not valuable - these are not leaf tickets. I can sit anywhere in BMO for less than you are paying right now - just look on ebay or stubhub. $15 gets me to the FINAL GAME OF THE SEASON - this is a prime ticket - the biggest demand is for first and last game of the season.

Soccer fans are fickle and demand a decent product and to be treated with respect. I will have super cheap tickets next year at the expense of those who renew their tickets for a fifth year. I have paid for 4 years - I won't have to eat tickets next year for games I can't make. I don't have to eat tickets for non-league games I don't want to pay for in advance.

As far as the "magic" goes, it is long gone. Empty seats everywhere. It will take years to recover. I will pop my name back on the waiting list and once the waitlisters who get tickets for next year realize that they have been duped and the tickets have little value - they will dump in droves next year... meanwhile I will be at the games, saved a lot of money, and will continue to cheer the boys on!

Since I will not be renewing my STs next year I will not get hosed with MLS-Cup tickets that should have been part of my 2010 package. If there is sufficient support on the boards to give the MLS-cup a miss, I will buy tickets and not go - I am that pissed and discouraged with where the team has been, and even more worried about where it is headed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Liverpool and Toronto fc are run very bad but the only think that mlse does good is make money. The Liverpool owners do not know how to make money.

both team's supporter's are protesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I also have my doubts about staging a boycott of the MLS Cup.
    It seems to me that our message would get across better be doing something at the game.
    yeah i have my doubts that 112 will pull this off. But I do not really care I will follow what 127 does so if your with me good if not oh well!!

See you later!

I'm not waiting anymore as far as I care the season was over a weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO Capacity: 22,100
    Record for least attended MLS Cup Final: 21,200 (2005 @ Pizza Hut Park)

We can set a record.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IN-stand Protesting has very little effect on this particular organization.

I see no point in it, and the majority of the time it comes of as ignorant, self obsorbed, bitching and griping.

Demanding results from this team is like trying to put out a forrest fire with 1 bucket of water. The FO views us as a group, and as a customer base as replaceable.

Say what you will about atmosphere, and what teh groups bring to the league.
    the fact is. No one at the top cares.

If you dont like the results or direction of this team, then dont bother to support them at all. Otherwise, go to the stadium, sing and chant, and focus your attentions on teh players, not the organization, enjoy the game day experience and take the bad with the good.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    IN-stand Protesting has very little effect on this particular organization.

I see no point in it, and the majority of the time it comes of as ignorant, self obsorbed, bitching and griping.

Demanding results from this team is like trying to put out a forrest fire with 1 bucket of water. The FO views us as a group, and as a customer base as replaceable.

Say what you will about atmosphere, and what teh groups bring to the league.
    the fact is. No one at the top cares.

If you dont like the results or direction of this team, then dont bother to support them at all. Otherwise, go to the stadium, sing and chant, and focus your attentions on teh players, not the organization, enjoy the game day experience and take the bad with the good.
    i agree.

Its only effective if we get numbers.

Phil and i have thought up of an idea that will be communicated later today (i hope). We have to work fast however.

I do ask that members think about things further....whatever plan is presented I hope that you can help us in spreading the word and being involved. THIS IS A TRUE TEST OF OUR MEMBERSHIP.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ looking forward to reading the plan Boris.

Just an aside comment regarding the suggestions in this thread, do people really think that a "lack of chanting" will have any impact at all?

Let's be completely honest with ourselves, do you think Tom Anselmi is going to say to Richard Peddie, "Do you hear that Richard? There isn't as much chanting as there usually is. We better rethink the way we treat our fans."

Being even more completely honest, outside of 127, 112 (the lower half at least), 113 (the lower half at least) and 111 (sometimes) and parts of 110 (thanks Sparta), there is no massive chanting going on. The upper part of 115 is usually very vocal but with their own thing.

Sit in 109 or 221 (to pick a few other sections at random) and tell me that folks there are into the chanting and singing. Even take a south end seat in 114-119 and tell me that you can hear what is going on the above sections. Worse, could you find your fellow "Supporters" in those sections willing to join in?

That's what MLSE has effectively killed by overzealous security, scalper support, high prices and refusal to work to expand the "supporter culture" (ie. making upper rows Supporter Rows, true relocations, etc)

Sadly, you can enforce a no chanting protest very easily because only a select few sections are chanting anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least one of our major sports teams has a clue...

"Our ticket prices in 2011 will remain the same as 2010 and we will continue to direct our efforts to improving the team and farm system with the goal of bringing a championship to Toronto."

- Blue Jays President and CEO, Paul Beeston

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ They hiked up their tickets last year. not knockin it, just sayin.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    At least one of our major sports teams has a clue...

"Our ticket prices in 2011 will remain the same as 2010 and we will continue to direct our efforts to improving the team and farm system with the goal of bringing a championship to Toronto."

- Blue Jays President and CEO, Paul Beeston
    Half-empty stadium.
    No waiting list.

It's easy to do the smart thing when reality hits you hard in the face.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jays actually should have dropped some of their prices.

Some of their pricing is outrageous as well.

Gixmo

Quote Originally Posted by LCB View Post
    L
    O
    L

That's wonderful, Full credit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    ^^ They hiked up their tickets last year. not knockin it, just sayin.
    errr, so did TFC

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the Jays (somewhat knowingly) got what they deserved this year. People have spent all year talking about terrible Jays attendance without recognizing the increase in tickets (especially in cheap zones). The jays however, unlike us, have great TV numbers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    And the Jays (somewhat knowingly) got what they deserved this year. People have spent all year talking about terrible Jays attendance without recognizing the increase in tickets (especially in cheap zones). The jays however, unlike us, have great TV numbers
    They also have, unlike us, a team that can score and win some games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Half-empty stadium.
    No waiting list.

It's easy to do the smart thing when reality hits you hard in the face.

In this case it really is apples and organges. Baseball is desiged to have a mix of season ticket supporters and walk-ups. Most baseball stadiums are half-full for many, many games - and with 60,000 seat stadiums and 82 home games that's fine. It's unlikely any baseball team ever had a waiting list for season ticket holders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    In this case it really is apples and organges. Baseball is desiged to have a mix of season ticket supporters and walk-ups. Most baseball stadiums are half-full for many, many games - and with 60,000 seat stadiums and 82 home games that's fine. It's unlikely any baseball team ever had a waiting list for season ticket holders.
    Not sure if this was in jest, but regarding Beeston coming back to the Jays

"His mandate: Recreate the magic that he oversaw in his first stint as franchise president, which culminated in World Series championships in 1992 and 1993 and a season high of four million fans.
    Those were the days the Jays boasted about their 27,000 season ticket holders and the 10,000 people on their waiting list. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...ive-in-toronto

In 1993 the Jays had 4,057,947 as paid attendance with an average game attendance of 50,098

Also - in 1991, 1992 & 1993 the Jays averaged around 4 million fans in paid attendance per season.
    Last edited by Dave67; 10-04-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...where have I heard that before?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    Not sure if this was in jest, but regarding Beeston coming back to the Jays

"His mandate: Recreate the magic that he oversaw in his first stint as franchise president, which culminated in World Series championships in 1992 and 1993 and a season high of four million fans.
    Those were the days the Jays boasted about their 27,000 season ticket holders and the 10,000 people on their waiting list. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...ive-in-toronto

In 1993 the Jays had 4,057,947 as paid attendance with an average game attendance of 50,098

Also - in 1991, 1992 & 1993 the Jays averaged around 4 million fans in paid attendance per season.
    Us old-timers can remember when a Jays ticket was as hard to get as a TFC ticket in 2007.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto