Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Great job MLSE!!

Please, do not give the supporters any of the North Stands, they are looking fantastic just the way you wanted them...

We are winning 1-0 at this point, and look how great the North Stands looked last night.

Seriously, way to go MLSE...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Anselmi and Paul Beirne just got a lesson in supply and demand.

I can't wait to see the numbers for the Arabe Unido game. 5,000 is a possibility.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    Please, do not give the supporters any of the North Stands, they are looking fantastic just the way you wanted them...

We are winning 1-0 at this point, and look how great the North Stands looked last night.

Seriously, way to go MLSE...
    At the price they're charging for North Stand tickets, who in their right mind would want to go there now? South End seats are cheaper by far.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^100% correct, so how about they lower them to actually get people into those seats? How about they open them up for supporters? How about they realize that we don't give a flying fuck about "cup holders"?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its going to be interesting to see how well north end tickets sell as seasons for about $50 per game.

My guess is poorly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job Paul...GENIUS business move...the cup holders were a great idea though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA

Looks good on those greedy suits....

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess the few that did buy tickets there did so for the "atmosphere"

Even more exciting is the fact that they added what, 1,400 seats? Our attendance is up 1% or about 200 people. 1,200 empty seats for every home game.

Guess you kind of mis-read the market in setting your prices, eh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what Crew stadium looked like three years ago. It's better than that now.

Who among us ever thought that BMO would look like that for a meaningful game?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Its going to be interesting to see how well north end tickets sell as seasons for about $50 per game.

My guess is poorly.
    My guess is very well. There will surely be many people in the clubs seats, reds and dark greys who'll be looking to cut back on costs. That section will provide them a reasonable alternative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked completely empty on TV last night thats for sure (except of course for the South End)

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    ^100% correct, so how about they lower them to actually get people into those seats? How about they open them up for supporters? How about they realize that we don't give a flying fuck about "cup holders"?
    Lower prices? That's crazy talk, Menelaos!

So sad really. There was a time when so many supporters looked to the prospect of a North Stand with wishful tears in their eyes. Imagine...a stand completely devoted to the most hardcore fans and supporters of the club. No scalpers. No Beckham fan boys showing up with Galaxy jerseys. Just row after row of jumping, singing TFC fans...

Yep, it's a real shame nobody at the club has any sort of imagination like that.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    At the price they're charging for North Stand tickets, who in their right mind would want to go there now?
    The same people who were there last night...no one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On TV, it looked really bad....empty except for the corners and south end.

Nice going MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul's excuse for the lowered attendence at the last game was that they didn't have enough time to promote it. Now that the attendence was less than half of the previous low what's his excuse? Don't blame the weather, we've seen much worse and still sold the place out. Time to look yourself in the mirror MLSE - you've pissed off the most loyal fans in the league, killed the atmosphere and that's driven away the people on your mythical waiting list.

I wonder if they'll throw in some TFC tickets if I buy Marlies season tickets next year?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post

I wonder if they'll throw in some TFC tickets if I buy Marlies season tickets next year?
    HA HA!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expected about 10,000 and that's what we got.

I expect much lower, maybe 3,000 for the final CCL match, given that it's meaningless.

People are giving up on this team.

Ticket prices are too high, the games aren't fun. The "value proposition" is way out of whack.

If TFC is mathematically eliminated, the stands will be pretty empty for the final home MLS match.

ML$E still has a chance to correct their mistake. They still can change season ticket prices.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Paul's excuse for the lowered attendence at the last game was that they didn't have enough time to promote it. Now that the attendence was less than half of the previous low what's his excuse? Don't blame the weather, we've seen much worse and still sold the place out. Time to look yourself in the mirror MLSE - you've pissed off the most loyal fans in the league, killed the atmosphere and that's driven away the people on your mythical waiting list.
    Cretan, I always agree with everything you say b/c you're always spot on. So take this as a little "devils advocate"...

- - - - -

"you've pissed off the most loyal fans in the league"

Have they...???

Or are they just a losing franchise that the glory hunters and wanna-be-seen people bailed on...???

Fact of the matter is "the most loyal SUPPORTERS" section was basically full (on TV it looked that way)...

The RPB South East Corner looked full...

The NEE section looked full...

The corner sections looked occupied...

The empty sections on the tube were 106-107-108-109 - aka the prawnies and expensive seats...

So, have MLSE driven the SUPPORTERS away...? No...

They have driven away the glory hunters and corporate crowd...

The day we know that MLSE has "driven away loyal supporters" is the day that its sunny, 75 degrees, and the middle of BMO is packed, and the south-end is empty...

Last night's attendance made the point that no matter how bad the team is, how much shit goes on, the supporters will still show up - and with that, MLSE knows they are 3-4 wins in a row away from the corps coming back and using their SSH's...

Last nights crowd might have sent exactly the wrong message that some people on here have wanted to get across...

They keep "pimping the atmosphere"... Well, last night, with 10,000 people there - the "atmosphere people" were still there - so if anyone occupied one of those empty seats, they still got what MLSE was pimping...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ML$E still has a chance to correct their mistake. They still can change season ticket prices.
    That would be step 1 of many that it will take to not only correct their most recent error but to make up for years of gouging. Fire the person who dreamed up the ransom packs, fire the person who decided bring in - I can't even remember who - to satisfy the STH 'friendly' obligation and then brought in Real Madrid at an insane cos etc. Yes MLSE, each of those actions made you money but they also pissed people off and the chickens have come home to roost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Cretan, I always agree with everything you say b/c you're always spot on. So take this as a little "devils advocate"...

- - - - -

Have they...???

Or are they just a losing franchise that the glory hunters and wanna-be-seen people bailed on...???

Fact of the matter is "the most loyal SUPPORTERS" section was basically full (on TV it looked that way)...

The empty sections on the tube were 106-107-108-109 - aka the prawnies and expensive seats...

The day we know that MLSE has "driven away loyal supporters" is the day that its sunny, 75 degrees, and the middle of BMO is packed, and the south-end is empty...

Last night's attendance made the point that no matter how bad the team is, how much shit goes on, the supporters will still show up - and with that, MLSE knows they are 3-4 wins in a row away from the corps coming back and using their SSH's...

Last nights crowd might have sent exactly the wrong message that some people on here have wanted to get across...

They keep "pimping the atmosphere"... Well, last night, with 10,000 people there - the "atmosphere people" were still there - so if anyone occupied one of those empty seats, they still got what MLSE was pimping...

Carts...
    Damnit! I know your right but I wish you were wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How will MLSE explain a half-empty stadium for the MLS Cup on November 21?

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno Carts. Lots of tourists in my part of the south end last night. Just sayin. And also they're driving away families, and little boys/girls turn into the supporters section as they grow older, so its bad long term too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    How will MLSE explain a half-empty stadium for the MLS Cup on November 21?
    I don't see many fairweather fans lining up to watch two American MLS teams at 8pm in late November. Although I bet they are hoping for a Red Bull vs Galaxy match, but I hope its not just to spite MLSE and their pockets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the attendance Really 10k? They announced 21k on Saturday and it was clearly less (my guess would be 10-15% less... so more like 18-19k ). If 10k was the announced number last night that was probably also overstated by a similar amount.

My assumption is that they announce tickets sold and not actual attendance for game.

We had two tickets that we didn't use for the game. I'dsay we're pretty loyal supporters, we've probably missed 8 games in the club's history and always because of a conflict (vacations, weddings, my son's soccer games etc). Last night was the first game that we just skipped. Frankly we just didn't feel like it would be fun.

I know some hardcore supporter types are going to jump on me for saying that but its the truth.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The announced attendance last night was 10,000 and change.

When I walked into the stadium there seemed to be present more vendors than spectators.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Lower prices? That's crazy talk, Menelaos!
    Isn't it? Who in their right mind would drop season ticket prices. Oh wait RSL did. They're dropping their supporter section tickets next year to $200 (from $250). Many of their other season teicket prices are moving lower too (although some are going up)

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- - - - -

Have they...???

Carts...
    Sorry, but that's just preposterous.

If you were to add all the supporters in all the supporters' sections together, how many people do you think you'd get? 3,000? 4,000 tops? Let's be conservative and make it 5,000.

That's 15,000 other glory-hunter, tourist, whatever you want to call them fans who are being driven away. By that math, they matter about three times as much as the supporters.

To drive them away is horrible, horrible business. And that was the point being made by the original poster.

The guy I brought to the game last night is a bit of a tourist, but knows enough to say what's what. We looked around the stadium, noting its very obvious emptiness.

I pointed to the south stand and said to him, "they're killing those guys with money." Then, I pointed to the east and west and said "and those guys, they're killing with money and shitty soccer."

Like on cue, the NEE put up their $$$ signs. I could hear a single pair of hands clapping.

It was a sad moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So take this as a little "devils advocate"...
    My use of the word "fan" and not "supporter" was intentional. We are, for better for worse, always there. But the fans of TFC have proven themselves above and beyond most - probably all - other MLS fans. I don't think that they're glory-hunting because there's never been any glory to hunt in Toronto. The crowd at large fed off of the supporters section and create an atmosphere around the whole stadium. Sitting in 217 doesn't offer the same experience of standing in 112, but they feel the energy and there's an excitment in the air that's felt by all. This season that crowd has been shrinking - shockingly so last night.

I think that there's a lot of issues at play, but the general feeling of being fed up is high on the list. A good number of those fans are Leafs and Raptors fans as well and between the three teams hardly anyone can remember the last time anyone had anything to be excited about.

Last night should be seen as a lesson in price-point. The cheaper seats were basically fully, the more expensive seats were basically empty. MLS soccer in this city is worth about $20-$40 a game.

In terms of season tickets, my prediction for next season is that they'll do OK. They'll find enough desperate people to fill the seats left behind by the truly pissed off and on the surface things will seem normal. The question is this - will those people who have been hearing about the hype and excitment of a TFC game feel like they got their money's worth for $2000 reds next season? I'm going to guess no.

I realize that once is Mista gone the likelihood of TFC signing their first real DP (of the Henry, Beckham variety) is high and that will win back some fans, but to some extent the damage has been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    I don't see many fairweather fans lining up to watch two American MLS teams at 8pm in late November. Although I bet they are hoping for a Red Bull vs Galaxy match, but I hope its not just to spite MLSE and their pockets.
    This is the MLS...given the circumstances, I'm willing to bet that they make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    The announced attendance last night was 10,000 and change.

When I walked into the stadium there seemed to be present more vendors than spectators.
    Actual attendance lloked more like 7,000. South holds around 3,500 and was perhaps 80% full, so call it 3,000 present. As for the other stands- I reckon 3-4k total.

So as Bobby Iaruscci called it on last week's Soccer Show -let's see how many of the 18,000 on the waiting list show up on Tuesday".

Erm- not many.

I dread to think hoe few will be there vs Arabe Unido or even Columbus....Columbus will think it's a home game apart from the colour of the empty seats.