View Poll Results: Should we pay DeRosario more to stay with TFC

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, where can I send my ticket price increase?

135 48.56%
  • No, don't let the door hit you in the ass you selfish twat

143 51.44%
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Yeah..and he was part of that underachieving team when it mattered most. Where was he when we were sliding down the table in the last 2 months.

The guy has 2 good games out of the last 12 or 13 and he starts pulling this shit?

Please.

Damn...DeRo scored 12 goals in 3 games?

That's gotta be some record huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares what he was promised.

How does that take away from the fact that he looked like a douche bag doing what he did today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Damn...DeRo scored 12 goals in 3 games?

That's gotta be some record huh?

No bud. I'm talking about the meat of our schedule. You know....all of August for the most part?

WHere was he then?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Apparently not. I guess there's more to the story, which Roogsy will now fill us in on.
    I'm guessing it's the old "Mo promised him DP money" thing from months ago when the Wheeler interview was being discussed. If it is, I may just go back and paste my posts from that thread.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This discussion is pointless if you're just going to keep falling back to "well I know more than you guys, but I can't tell you... but if you knew what I knew, you would see the error of your ways".

Unless someone forged his signature on that contract, I also have trouble seeing what additional backstory would change my opinion on this matter anyway.

- Scott
    That or De Ro is mentally retarded. The only other backstory I can conjure up is that whoever presented him with the contract said "oh those numbers aren't right...just sign the contract and we'll have our people change them after", all while snickering and holding two fingers behind his back. And if De Ro signed the contract under those conditions he is, by definition, mentally retarded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing it's the old "Mo promised him DP money" thing from months ago when the Wheeler interview was being discussed. If it is, I may just go back and paste my posts from that thread.

- Scott
    I may have saved you the trouble with my previous post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    I admitted not knowing much about Mista's background so I just check it out.

Appears Mista's Masters Degree is a fake. "Once a top striker in Spain" has scored 5 goals in the last 5 years...

Caps came in a friendly against China and one against European powerhouse San Marino...
    Good God man, where have you been hiding? Mista's past has been discussed ad infinitum here at RPB and every other Toronto FC forum for that matter.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This discussion is pointless if you're just going to keep falling back to "well I know more than you guys, but I can't tell you... but if you knew what I knew, you would see the error of your ways".

Unless someone forged his signature on that contract, I also have trouble seeing what additional backstory would change my opinion on this matter anyway.

- Scott

It's always the "backstory" we don't know that would surprise us. But that's fine. If you all have had enough of this side of the DeRo story then by all means, continue bashing away. I don't have anything else to add anyways. You guy have made up your mind. But I get the feeling there is also a large percentage of fans that sympathize with DeRo and I will hope that MLSE listens to them. Especially considering the bad PR they've gotten in recent weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was Dasovic I'd be tempted to sit or even suspend De Ro, best player or not, he can't be pulling a stunt like that. If no action is taking against this, it will only serve to strengthen the systemic disfunction that's become the norm with TFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a nice twist you've given the situation. Of course it has nothing to do with the reality.

He knows what the team's job is. (Remember the team? The 10 other players that are out there that should also be producing but aren't?) And they all know that they need to fight until the are either in the playoffs or completely eliminated. He knows what it takes. He didn't win 4 MLS Cups by accident you know.

That is a completely different argument from his perception that he has fulfilled his end of the bargain with the team's management. He promised to work hard. He has. He promised to score. He has. He promised to represent the team in their various corporate and charity efforts. He has. In this regard, he has come through each year above and beyond what would have been reasonably considered "fulfilling" his contract. If you can't see the difference between his efforts on the pitch and his negotiations with the team, I am not here to explain it to you.

But of course, you attribute his gesture as an indication that he is checking out. That his year is done now that he has scored one more goal than last year. You see what you want to see I suppose.
    he has done all those things absolutely, and if he wants to knock on whoever's door on monday and demand better, that's his right, but for those 90 minutes, his main job isn't to score goals and score personal points againts management, it's to help his team win. scoring goals is a part of that, along with many other things. The game as a whole, he didn't have a great game, but I'm not going to suggest he didn't leave everything out there, and his reaction after we scored our 2nd, getting into a wrestling match with cronin to get the ball back to the centre circle asap, I love that shit. And I'd like to hope he regrets bringing his personal beefs onto the pitch.

but for me his efforts on the pitch and his negotiations with the team(sic) should be completely seperate things, and a captain and leader especially shouldn't be thinking about personal goals while the game's at such a crucial stage.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No bud. I'm talking about the meat of our schedule. You know....all of August for the most part?

WHere was he then?

You mean in between playing Prekiball in the league and CCL, flying to Canadian national commitments and the All-Star game?

I suppose he was hoping he didn't have to do everything at TFC. I guess he was wrong. But I suppose if he was indeed wrong about being the only one that can get things done at TFC, then perhaps his demonstration today is more accurate than you'd like to believe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always the "backstory" we don't know that would surprise us. But that's fine. If you all have had enough of this side of the DeRo story then by all means, continue bashing away. I don't have anything else to add anyways. You guy have made up your mind. But I get the feeling there is also a large percentage of fans that sympathize with DeRo and I will hope that MLSE listens to them. Especially considering the bad PR they've gotten in recent weeks.
    But you could change our minds by giving us the "backstory", couldn't you?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you left out the part where you don't know the whole story.
    are you friends with mo or anselmi or someone else on management side of things as well? or do you just know de ro's side of the story, which i would suggest is not the whole story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always the "backstory" we don't know that would surprise us. But that's fine. If you all have had enough of this side of the DeRo story then by all means, continue bashing away.
    I believe James specifically asked you for this secret backstory that only you know. And no one is "bashing" him - you're trying to frame the argument again. I don't know why you always seem so sensitive when it comes to criticism of DeRo.

I don't have anything else to add anyways. You guy have made up your mind.
    If you have credible information that you think will change our minds, then present it. But you can't honestly just expect us to take you at your word that we are totally wrong, based on information you won't give us, from a source you can't reveal.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest, darlo, that De Ro's side of the story doesn't even matter in this discussion, as his signature is obviously on the FOUR YEAR CONTRACT. Which means he agreed to abide by the terms in said contract for FOUR YEARS.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope mlse isn't listening to the fans. i think that's the problem all along, that's what got jdg here on such a troublesome salary, and a lot of other decisions seem to have been made on a panicky must please the fans basis. I hope we get a gm in who doesn't give a shit what the fans want, or what anselmi wants for his "investments" and just makes whatever unpopular moves might be necessary to build a winning team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe James specifically asked you for this secret backstory that only you know. And no one is "bashing" him - you're trying to frame the argument again. I don't know why you always seem so sensitive when it comes to criticism of DeRo.
    But it's OUR minds which are clearly made up, Scott...not his. I mean, he said so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean in between playing Prekiball in the league and CCL, flying to Canadian national commitments and the All-Star game?

I suppose he was hoping he didn't have to do everything at TFC. I guess he was wrong. But I suppose if he was indeed wrong about being the only one that can get things done at TFC, then perhaps his demonstration today is more accurate than you'd like to believe?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve more money.

I just question why, when he snatches back a goal for us in a 2-0 game, he decides that the big thing is not getting back into the game..but rather...telling MLSE he wants more money.

BTW...weren't we playing "preki ball" early in the season when DeRo scored his other goals?

So when DeRo scores it's because he's a superstar..and when he plays like shit it's Preki's fault and the schedule's fault?

Dude..you need to stop chilling with the players...especially DeRo. YOu sound like you could be his agent or a family member. It's sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah..and he was part of that underachieving team when it mattered most. Where was he when we were sliding down the table in the last 2 months.

The guy has 2 good games out of the last 12 or 13 and he starts pulling this shit?

Please.
    There is something to what you say. Prior to his recent and wonderful two goal performance versus Houston, he hadn't actually potted a goal since I don't recall. A couple of months perhaps? It certainly coincided with our slide down the table. He got off to that wonderful start and then got stuck on nine for the longest time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    are you friends with mo or anselmi or someone else on management side of things as well? or do you just know de ro's side of the story, which i would suggest is not the whole story.
    Good point. In a contract dispute, I would suggest information from either side implicating the other is not overly trustworthy, as both are "interested parties".

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve more money.

I just question why, when he snatches back a goal for us in a 2-0 game, he decides that the big thing is not getting back into the game..but rather...telling MLSE he wants more money.

BTW...weren't we playing "preki ball" early in the season when DeRo scored his other goals?

So when DeRo scores it's because he's a superstar..and when he plays like shit it's Preki's fault and the schedule's fault?

Dude..you need to stop chilling with the players...especially DeRo. YOu sound like you could be his agent or a family member. It's sad.
    Don't you know by now that it's only "Prekiball" when we lose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. In a contract dispute, I would suggest information from either side implicating the other is not overly trustworthy, as both are "interested parties".

- Scott
    Exactly.

Asking DeRo to comment on how much he thinks he should make is absolutely pointless. How can you take any of what either side is saying at face value?

THere are two sides to every story and the truth is almost always in between.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think DeRo's stats and play shouldn't even enter into this discussion, as I mentioned before. DeRo could score zero goals all year, and I would expect MLSE to pay him what his contract says he is to be paid. And that's the point.

If players wanted to be paid purely according to results, they could all sign 100% performance goal-based deals, with no base salary. But they don't. They want a raise when they play well, and they want the security of their binding contract when they don't. And that's why I hate this shit.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 09-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I don't think DeRo has a low football IQ, I think he lacks confidence in most of his teammates and as a result tries to do too much himself. I kinda don't blame him.
    I'd say he has an average at best football IQ. He never has been the smartest player out there. But his technical ability has generally made up for it.

This is a gambit. He's 32 and nearing the end of his career and may be gambling that MLSE isn't willing to potentially lose or have a tiff with the favourite player, what with the season ticket situation looking far less confident than past years and the team rebuilding its management.

I think this is a mistake, personally. He's near the max a non-DP can get, and though they'll likely drop Mista, I can't see the investment purpose in giving more money to DeRosario than he makes right now.

I sincerely believe we could replace him for less. It wouldn't be easy, but $443,000 is a lot of dough at this level and he should be happy to be getting it.

I don't believe at his age he'll get DP money from anyone else and this is probably the best time, in terms of MLSE being vulnerable and him having leverage, to take his last shot at it. So I can't say I'm surprised. But the timing is crass, given the team's recent performances and the impending lack of playoffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd say he has an average at best football IQ. He never has been the smartest player out there. But his technical ability has generally made up for it.

This is a gambit. He's 32 and nearing the end of his career and may be gambling that MLSE isn't willing to potentially lose or have a tiff with the favourite player, what with the season ticket situation looking far less confident than past years and the team rebuilding its management.

I think this is a mistake, personally. He's near the max a non-DP can get, and though they'll likely drop Mista, I can't see the investment purpose in giving more money to DeRosario than he makes right now.

I sincerely believe we could replace him for less. It wouldn't be easy, but $443,000 is a lot of dough at this level and he should be happy to be getting it.

I don't believe at his age he'll get DP money from anyone else and this is probably the best time, in terms of MLSE being vulnerable and him having leverage, to take his last shot at it. So I can't say I'm surprised. But the timing is crass, given the team's recent performances and the impending lack of playoffs.
    Your opinion mirrors my own, jloome. By the time his deal is done, he will be 34. Do we really want to commit MORE money on an even longer deal, for a guy who will be 34 at the end of the deal he already signed?

It'll be interesting to see how MLSE decide to proceed.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will answer this one final question because this one I can answer without feeling I am revealing confidential info.

I believe it was in another thread where you raised the same point and someone correctly pointed out to you the flaw in your logic. Every MLS season for TFC starts out the same way. New team. New coach. New players. New style. Preki's methods were having an impact at the beginning because teams were still learning to adjust. Once teams adjusted, Preki did not change his ways and his methods were no longer making an impact. Plain and simple.

In fact, what happened is that teams focused almost exclusively on DeRo. One player in fact, in one of Toronto's frustrating defeats, mockingly directed himself at his fellow teammates while covering DeRo "Hey guys, all we have to do is double-up on DeRo and we've got this game in the bag". Do you have any idea how frustrating that must be? I would've taken a red on that one.

So you want to know where DeRo was in those months? Stuck in Preki's system where teams were coming in here and only had their sights on shutting down DeRo because this team had no threats anywhere else whatsoever. That's where. And the funny thing is that a competent coach would have picked up on that and used that to the team's advantage. Preki never did. But of course, you sit here and mockingly ask where DeRo was? Working his ass off while Preki scratched his head and his balls wondering what to do.

Now I hope you stop asking that question because it's getting tiresome, especially when the answer was staring at you in the face. Preki's system sucked. His coaching sucked. He wasn't going to make TFC into anything. Preki's uninspired tactics and strategy led to the team's poor record and it wasn't going to get any better but instead you focus on DeRo, not on the dozen or other people that should have also stepped up, including the coach. Everyone points to the great start in the season and yet it's easily explained away as a convenient result of changes in the way TFC played and once that "newness" wore out, so did it's effectiveness. Is it a coincidence that Preki is gone and DeRo finds his scoring touch?

But of course, you went into a whole conspiracy theory about how DeRo and JDG pushed out Preki and that there is a country-club atmosphere in the locker room and whatever else nonsense I read. The plain fact is Preki lost the locker room. He lost the confidence of his coaching staff and that is why he was gone. And those 2 lost months fall entirely on his shoulders despite your efforts to continuously lay them on DeRos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will answer this one final question because this one I can answer without feeling I am revealing confidential info.

I believe it was in another thread where you raised the same point and someone correctly pointed out to you the flaw in your logic. Every MLS season for TFC starts out the same way. New team. New coach. New players. New style. Preki's methods were having an impact at the beginning because teams were still learning to adjust. Once teams adjusted, Preki did not change his ways and his methods were no longer making an impact. Plain and simple.

In fact, what happened is that teams focused almost exclusively on DeRo. One player in fact, in one of Toronto's frustrating defeats, mockingly directed himself at his fellow teammates while covering DeRo "Hey guys, all we have to do is double-up on DeRo and we've got this game in the bag". Do you have any idea how frustrating that must be? I would've taken a red on that one.

So you want to know where DeRo was in those months? Stuck in Preki's system where teams were coming in here and only had their sights on shutting down DeRo because this team had no threats anywhere else whatsoever. That's where. And the funny thing is that a competent coach would have picked up on that and used that to the team's advantage. Preki never did. But of course, you sit here and mockingly ask where DeRo was? Working his ass off while Preki scratched his head and his balls wondering what to do.

Now I hope you stop asking that question because it's getting tiresome, especially when the answer was staring at you in the face. Preki's system sucked. His coaching sucked. He wasn't going to make TFC into anything. Preki's uninspired tactics and strategy led to the team's poor record and it wasn't going to get any better but instead you focus on DeRo, not on the dozen or other people that should have also stepped up, including the coach. Everyone points to the great start in the season and yet it's easily explained away as a convenient result of changes in the way TFC played and once that "newness" wore out, so did it's effectiveness. Is it a coincidence that Preki is gone and DeRo finds his scoring touch?

But of course, you went into a whole conspiracy theory about how DeRo and JDG pushed out Preki and that there is a country-club atmosphere in the locker room and whatever else nonsense I read. The plain fact is Preki lost the locker room. He lost the confidence of his coaching staff and that is why he was gone. And those 2 lost months fall entirely on his shoulders despite your efforts to continuously lay them on DeRos.
    I'm not laying TFC's shit on DeRo. I'm saying he's PART of the reason we're bad. He doesn't get absolved of anything.

The guy can do no wrong in your eyes.

Where's all the leadership talk? Where's all the captain talk? Show me another good captain in any sport who has (or would) behave that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I see...so De Ro is no longer being marked by multiple players? Daso's a coaching genius who's implemented an entirely new system which has resulted in....a 1-1-2 WDL record in all competitions? I mean, De Ro has scored 3 goals in the last two games, so whatever Daso's doing must be working wonders.

This will be my last post in this thread:

De Ro put himself before the team today, plain and simple. A captain NEVER does that. EVER.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

The season ticket thing is a good point, he probably sees the fo as at their weakest right now, and thus feels he's got the most leverage as they wouldn't want any more negative publicity.

very smart business of him if that's the case, but really reflects where his priorities lay, and it's not with the team winning. and outside of the 90 minutes, fine, within the 90 minutes, as captain, his paycheque shouldn't be crossing his mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, so that's what that "celebration" was about. I thought it was more along the lines of "Don't write us off!" LOL!

Ok here's my take.

I see it from DeRo's point of view. He's been crucial to this team and so on and so on. But he's agreed on a contract. He wasn't forced to.

If he has gripes about the contract, deal with it inside.

So even if he has a point, and I don't know about what he was promised and etc. but regardless, he has a point, it doesn't need to be public. That's unprofessional.

But I can definitely see Dero's point of view. He's likely frustrated and so are we.

But keep it behind closed doors.