View Poll Results: Should we pay DeRosario more to stay with TFC

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, where can I send my ticket price increase?

135 48.56%
  • No, don't let the door hit you in the ass you selfish twat

143 51.44%
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can afford to waste money on mista, they can find it for dero

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Why should they? DeRosario signed a contract. Live by it. Attakora does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is no I in TEAM

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But there is one in WIN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! great example of a supposed team leader.

Listen, I love Dero the player, but DeRo the person seems really really fake to me. The game against SJ should have been about keeping playoff hope alive, not making a statement that you want more $$$.

IMO the problem here is all the coaching changes. With no consistent voice/leader some of the players (like DeRo) see a chance to run things there way, thus a no BS guy like Preki is quickly run out of time.

Again, love DeRo the player, but DeRo the person...not so much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caution: Lengthy Post Ahead. If you're sucking DeRo's cock, give him a $20 and feel free to skip ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtfcfan View Post
    I still can't get over this. When the captain does this what example does it set for the rest of the team? Next thing we'll see is Nana going through making an amazing tackle and when he comes up starts to motion that he deserves to get paid more???
    I had a thought about this as soon as I woke up this morning. Nana, who we can all agree is *vastly* underpaid ($40 K < $375K), makes yet another goal-saving, clearance header. Crowd goes wild. Frei and co rush to celebrate with him. He ignores them and runs directly to the byline where he makes a gesture about wanting more money. Yeah, its bad, but what if he did this with captain's armband, as the representative of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Dichio and Twistedchinaman have said what I think basically (thanks for reading MY mind guys). But the part that REALLY gets me? Where were these balls of Dero to protest like that when Mo and Preki were still here? If his point is Mo made promises he didn't keep, why wait until after Mo is fired to protest? Where was this a month ago when it could have been enough to fire Mo? I was harsh saying in the post game thread that I would support Dero as long as he's a red but that I don't like him, I don't think I was harsh in saying I won't be able to respect him. The man shouldn't have the armband, plain and simple. A captains mentality is not Me>TFC, or Me>other players. That's just not leadership, and I don't think that represents the values that we as fans and as a community hold.
    Not just that, but a new GM is coming in and he's the club's most valuable asset. He's in one of the best possible bargaining positions! Next to the guys with expiring contracts like Attakora, he would've had *everyone's* support had he waited until the end of the season / MLSE hired a new GM. He's not getting a pay raise before the end of the season anyways, why bitch about it before the opportunity presents itself? DeRo > TFC indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don`t even know what to day about what we saw yesterday, other than we may have seen the end of someone I would have wanted on the team next year. You simply can`t pull shit like that.
    DeRo is the best player on the team and best player in the league. But that does not make him bigger than the club. It'll *never* make him or any other solitary player bigger than the club.

Personally, if he were to leave next season, I would be disappointed that our results may be worse, but I would be happier that we dont have this cancerous attitude on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    I don't care who a guy is, if that's how you act during a freaking game we have to win and you're losing in, that is the epitome of selfish. Get his ass out of town if he wants to put that kind of display on as our fucking CAPTAIN.
    EXACTLY! What if Frei did this in a similar scenario? Or Nana? Or, fuck it, even Nick Garcia? Chances are that people would not support them. It's kinda superficial to say "yeah, but *DeRo* can do it because he's better than everyone else". Better or not, disrespecting the crest is disrespecting the crest.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I think some of you are overreacting to the situation.

We fans feel like we are not getting fair return from MLSE for what we give them.
    So we make banners and shout some chants to show our displeasure.
    - And we are justified for doing so.

DeRo feels like he is not getting fair return from MLSE for what he gives them.
    So he makes one gesture to show his displeasure.
    - But he is unprofessional and should be run out of town?
    DeRo deserves a shitload of money. I don't agree with anyone that says he doesn't. But we hold the players to a higher standard than we hold ourselves, rightfully so. We're paying customers and so we have certain entitlements. But players are well-compensated representatives of the club. We cheer for DeRo and Frei and Nana, but we *support* the club. It's hard to correlate the analogy based on experience, but what if someone did this with the Montreal Canadiens, a team with a rich history and proud tradition? When the old Forum closed, there were tears in peoples' eyes as they passed around the torch, because the club meant something. The C and the H has meaning. The players are obviously important, but the flame is the embodiment of the spirit / soul / sweat of the men who have contributed to the successes. From George Vezina and Howie Morenz to Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller. When we look back 60 years from now and tell our grandkids about the proud tradition of the Toronto FC franchise (I know the irony, but humour me for a second), what are we going to point to? The day Danny Dichio scored. Ironman Jimmy B. And 9/25/10, when the hometown league player of the decade made a mockery of what it means to be a captain.

If I'm overreacting or making much ado about nothing, so be it. But from the bottom of my heart, fuck you Dwayne De Rosario. I hope you get your raise, whatever it may be for the talent you put in and the effort you put out. But fuck you for making a mockery of the club I love.

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    BTW..his teammates must love him right now.

Also...Preki was shit with tactics but he knew a spoiled, egotistical player when he saw one. People have asked why DeRo didn't do this a while back when Mo was still at the helm.

One simple reason. Preki would have benched him for the rest of the season. Rightfully so.
    This whole situation raises a number of questions, like was DeRo in the middle of the season-ending clash last season? Did DeRo undermine Preki? Does DeRo truly "lead" the team?

For all the perceived grievances we had with Jimmy B, I would never have imagined him to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    this season....sure has been a shit show.....what a f'ing waste...!!
    10,555km later, I have no choice but to agree

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    Remember in the infamous Montreal game, he scored then took the ball to the center of the pitch and couldn't wait for play to start - so he could score another?

That is the leader and that was what was needed yesterday.
    *That's* who I thought DeRo was going to be. And for the most part he has been great in leading by example. But this one action really undoes everything else he has worked so hard for. I'd like to know if anyone else could do this to their manager publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd like a captain who doesn't display his ego in the middle of the most important game of the year. Is that too much to ask?

They should wait until the offseason, then whatever the outcome of DeRo salary talks, should make Cann captain (and give him a raise.)
    Apparently it is for some.

I would *love* to see Cann as a captain. When DeRo was brought on, it appears as though he's taken to the opportunity to profit as much as possible (commercials, face of franchise, building his own brand, soothing his ego). When Cann was brought on, he smiled and laughed like a little kid at Christmas. He's not here primarily because he wants to maximize his earning potential by branding himself extensively. From my unaware, outsider perspective, it appears as though he loves just being part of the team more than anything else.

You guys are so fucking smug. It's off putting that you two have moderator next to your titles.

I don't know either of you personally but the douche factor that comes across on these boards when people don't agree with you is through the roof.
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, has anyone seen a mod say that they were wrong? I guess nobody can be held to a higher standard. Mods, team captains, nobody.

And you think its bad for you? I paid a membership fee to get their self-righteous bullshit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    there is no I in TEAM
    NO I in team, but there is an "M" and a "E"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    I think most of us say he is in line for a pay raise (myself included)...but the MANNER unto which he demanded it what's causing blood to boil.
    Totally dude. The only thing I'll be more disappointed with is Daso not stripping him of the armband if he still it on Tuesday.

The only thing that will make this right is if Garcia runs over to the sideline and makes the same gesture as DeRo. Hilarity will ensue and all will be right with the world.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately we don't have our own Jimmy Bullard.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This was Paul James' take on the situation:

"Meanwhile the main talking point of the game was TFC captain Dwayne DeRosario’s decision to imitate the writing of a check to the crowd illustrating his unhappiness at making $443,750 per season.

It will unfortunately go down in memory as an arrogant, selfish, and completely egotistical gesture which his teammates and fans have the right to feel bitterly disappointed about.

The mere fact he affirmed the intent of the gesture to the media truly boggles the mind.

SO as a recap. TFC are 2-0 down in the most important game of the season.

DeRosario scores a terrific goal and then the first thing he thinks about is not that is hometown team is back in the game at a such a crucial time but NO, his first thought is how angry he is at not being paid enough money. And all this when some of his teammates are making a pittance in comparison. His selfishness has clearly reached a new level.

A week ago he scored two wonderful goals against the Houston Dynamo to pull the TFC team and his own reputation out of a mess after displaying overt disloyalty to his previous coach Preki. Rather than the goals humble him in some way, they unfortunately empowered his ego to what we can only hope is its nadir.

DeRosario is paid a good wage. Who knows maybe he could argue that he is deserving of more. But a big raise at the designated player level? Definitely not. In either event it should be done at the business level and not in public at such a crucial moment.

Dwayne DeRosario is an excellent player at the MLS level. There is no argument there. But at the same time he has proven to be a poor leader. Whether undermining former coaches Dale Mitchell (Canadian national team) or Preki he has shown that his football career is more about him than anybody or anything else. His actions and comments confirm the point.

Now Nick Dasovic who was Dales assistant with the national program will be tested on the values he has for the team."

More..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    But there is one in WIN.

what ever....... If I was the GM I would talk with him and say if you want more money win us the cup or take what you get.
    Last edited by nascarguy; 09-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    what ever....... If I was the GM I would talk with him and say if you want more money win us the cup or take what you get.

NASCAR FOR GM!

But if you make it, promise me you will bring in cheerleaders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy, is there any way of viewing your post count before and after De Rosario's gesture?

You must have easily hit over 500 posts in one day :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

usually just read the board and give my 2 cents few and far between, but this dero situation has to be addressed

dero is a good player, no doubt what so ever, but many times he is very detrimental to the way this team attacks and defends. i will probably be burned alive if anyone actually reads this post but the truth is truth, dero has scored what 11 goals this season? thats pretty bad for a player who runs into 5/6 cul de sacs every match. he refuses to pass to players in better position and decides to run past players ala pele, which once in a while does work very well, and hes scored goals to prove it, but the times when he looses the ball is so so so bad for this team, because since dero is the main attacker, the attacking players on the team move with him, if he goes up the rest go up, if he falls back the players tend to stop their forward runs, now the issue is when dero is attempting to fly by players while in the attacking third with players in better attacking positions he looses the ball, and a possibly dangerous counter attack is in the works for the other team

he can stay on the team, no pay increase especially since he had the nerve to ask for it in the manner he did, the team was 2 nil down, and he scored the goal to make it 2-1, instead of asking for a pay increase he should have thanked mista who set it up very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Dwayne DeRosario is an excellent player at the MLS level. There is no argument there. But at the same time he has proven to be a poor leader. Whether undermining former coaches Dale Mitchell (Canadian national team) or Preki he has shown that his football career is more about him than anybody or anything else. His actions and comments confirm the point.

Wow. I've been going off on this topic for 24 hours now, but James hit the nail on the fucking head. Undermining two coaches, orchestrating his own trade out of Houston, etc. etc.; we really get a peek into DeRo the leader.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orchestrate his own trade? He asked for a trade to his hometown after long and distinguished service to San Jose/Houston. There is something wrong with that now too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Unless you're setting up a Paypal account to help out your buddy Dwayne get the money he's whining about, I really have nothing to say to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    DERO IS THIS TEAM. period.

give him whatever he wants.

This thread has been an interesting read. I said my peace on Twitter this morning. In my view, what Dwayne did was a very big mistake. I won't say more than that.

In response to the above quote, i must respectfully disagree. Firstly, Stefan Frei is the team's MVP.

Secondly, no player is "the team", especially in soccer. Players can be replaced quite easily, Dwayne is no different.

Teams fall apart when players do start to believe they are the team.

team before individuals, always.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero is a great player, but very much moody, just like Gerrard from Liverpool. Both hometown boys, both want to win (sometimes by themselves) both want to be paid for their work.

My take is that Dero is by far the best player TFC has ever had.....throw him a bone. Cut big nose, never has been Mista, and cut I suck almost as bad as Garcia, De Guzman.

Sign a good finisher like Del Piero or Cisse ...or some other nice striker, plus a Winger DP and It's all Love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way... what Dero did was just sad considering the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to believe that his teammates are happy with what he did. That would be beyond disappointing in my eyes.
    I disagree. I’m willing to bet that a lot of veteran guys across this league are frustrated by the DP situation, especially now that teams are allowed up to 3 DP‘s. I bet he got calls/texts from buddies across the league who are patting him on the back for doing it. The salary disparity between career MLS players and DP’s signed from other leagues is ridiculous.

Donovan is the only DP who built his career within the MLS. Donovan got his big raise a year after he was quoted in Grant Wahl’s book ripping on Beckham for his conduct and commitment to the team. If the Galaxy hadn’t signed Beckham I bet Donovan isn’t make $2M a year. The fact that progression within the league is nearly impossible has to be frustrating for elite players who have built their careers within the league.

What if we’re talking about an accounting firm instead of a soccer league. All the accountants that have worked at the firm for years make between $50k-$200k per year and all of a sudden the firm’s Partners start hiring senior accountants from outside the firm and paying them $1M-$2M per year, while at the same time refusing to give any of the old employee’s a raise. Their would be problems. Take the current MLS salary/DP situation and apply it to your place of work and tell me you wouldn’t be frustrated as an employee.

I don't like what he did, but he's still a great player.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.Reis View Post
    Wow! great example of a supposed team leader.

Listen, I love Dero the player, but DeRo the person seems really really fake to me. The game against SJ should have been about keeping playoff hope alive, not making a statement that you want more $$$.

IMO the problem here is all the coaching changes. With no consistent voice/leader some of the players (like DeRo) see a chance to run things there way, thus a no BS guy like Preki is quickly run out of time.

Again, love DeRo the player, but DeRo the person...not so much!

Who was it that said that the inmates run the asylum?

Whoever said that...I owe you a beer and a kowtow in apology.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, has anyone seen a mod say that they were wrong? I guess nobody can be held to a higher standard. Mods, team captains, nobody.

And you think its bad for you? I paid a membership fee to get their self-righteous bullshit!
    In the history of this board I have never been wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    In the history of this board I have never been wrong.

Well, *obviously* other than you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    Who was it that said that the inmates run the asylum?

Whoever said that...I owe you a beer and a kowtow in apology.
    Aren't they usually referred to as "happy endings"?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not just that, but a new GM is coming in and he's the club's most valuable asset. He's in one of the best possible bargaining positions! Next to the guys with expiring contracts like Attakora, he would've had *everyone's* support had he waited until the end of the season / MLSE hired a new GM. He's not getting a pay raise before the end of the season anyways, why bitch about it before the opportunity presents itself? DeRo > TFC indeed.
    Don't forget, having the court of public opinion back you is quite important. And right now, we've got a hung jury...and it's all of his own making.

DeRo is the best player on the team and best player in the league. But that does not make him bigger than the club. It'll *never* make him or any other solitary player bigger than the club.
    +1.

It's already "All For ML$E", there is ZERO need to add "Some For DeRo" at the end of it. What he did is a slap in the face to all of us, and some of you are just happy to say, "thank you sir, may I have another?" while turning to ML$E with a double bird salute. The hypocrisy, the hypocrisy!

EXACTLY! What if Frei did this in a similar scenario? Or Nana? Or, fuck it, even Nick Garcia? Chances are that people would not support them. It's kinda superficial to say "yeah, but *DeRo* can do it because he's better than everyone else". Better or not, disrespecting the crest is disrespecting the crest.
    Everyone else would have been run out of town. But not Mr. De Rosario. He's the Tawrana Boy!

If he was in Calgary, and was playing for the Flames and pulled this sort of shit...he would have been tarred and feathered, pilloried by the media, and run out of town on a rail.

When we look back 60 years from now and tell our grandkids about the proud tradition of the Toronto FC franchise (I know the irony, but humour me for a second), what are we going to point to? The day Danny Dichio scored. Ironman Jimmy B. And 9/25/10, when the hometown league player of the decade became too good for the rest of the team and made a show of it.

If I'm overreacting or making much ado about nothing, so be it. But from the bottom of my heart, fuck you Dwayne De Rosario. I hope you get your raise, whatever it may be for the talent you put in and the effort you put out. But fuck you for making a mockery of the club I love.
    Fixed (first line), and agreed. I held back throughout last night, trying to find a way to justify. But I failed. I couldn't. Nothing in my own upbringing or even from what I see in society, justifies such an act. Especially from a leader.

10,555km later, I have no choice but to agree
    In three seasons I've traveled 12,572km. Spent money that I have earned through dealing with s*it stupid a-holes will never want to poke with a ten foot iron rod, out of love for this team. And here is Mr. de Rosario, demanding a raise? For what?

I could get into more expletives, but that's beside the point.

*That's* who I thought DeRo was going to be. And for the most part he has been great in leading by example. But this one action really undoes everything else he has worked so hard for. I'd like to know if anyone else could do this to their manager publicly.
    Plus this isn't the first time he's been selfish. I think there have been many, many stories about his on-field attitudes. And yet we've defended it as it has won us some games.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, has anyone seen a mod say that they were wrong? I guess nobody can be held to a higher standard. SOME Mods, team captains, nobody.

Fixed.

Sorry guys, but that is the truth...
    Last edited by twistedchinaman; 09-26-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    (I think?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't they usually referred to as "happy endings"?
    What IS it with you and being a cheeky bastard with my words this weekend!!!!!
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

usually just read the board and give my 2 cents few and far between, but this dero situation has to be addressed

dero is a good player, no doubt what so ever, but many times he is very detrimental to the way this team attacks and defends. i will probably be burned alive if anyone actually reads this post but the truth is truth, dero has scored what 11 goals this season? thats pretty bad for a player who runs into 5/6 cul de sacs every match. he refuses to pass to players in better position and decides to run past players ala pele, which once in a while does work very well, and hes scored goals to prove it, but the times when he looses the ball is so so so bad for this team, because since dero is the main attacker, the attacking players on the team move with him, if he goes up the rest go up, if he falls back the players tend to stop their forward runs, now the issue is when dero is attempting to fly by players while in the attacking third with players in better attacking positions he looses the ball, and a possibly dangerous counter attack is in the works for the other team

he can stay on the team, no pay increase especially since he had the nerve to ask for it in the manner he did, the team was 2 nil down, and he scored the goal to make it 2-1, instead of asking for a pay increase he should have thanked mista who set it up very well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally dude. The only thing I'll be more disappointed with is Daso not stripping him of the armband if he still it on Tuesday.
    That = true.
    (I think?)