RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Thursday , Jun.26

Carver: 'We need your support'

Reds head coach hoping for Canada Day sell-out

Toronto FC coach John Carver wants the supporters to play a massive role in helping the team win the Nutrilite Canadian Championship. There are still tickets available for the game against Vancouver Whitecaps on July 1st (kick off 4:00 p.m.) as the Reds welcome Canadian opposition to BMO Field for the first time. "It's an absolutely massive game," said Carver. "I've said how important I have seen this competition and it's huge for us to have this fortress. I saw the 'fortress' banner at the weekend and that's how it needs to be. The supporters are definitely the 12th man for us, everybody across the league talks about it," he added.
    If Toronto win the Nutrilite Canadian Championship, they will move on to the CONCACAF Champions League and face the Champions of Nicaragua in the Preliminary Round. If the Reds progress, they will be in Group C of the Champions League along with Atlante F.C. of Mexico, C.D. Olimpia or C.D. Marathon of Honduras and the winner of Joe Public F.C. (Trinidad) against New England Revolution.
    "We need this stadium filled to capacity," said Carver. "I urge the fans to come and support us and get right behind. If we can get through this and win this competition, they'll get the opportunity to see some fantastic teams come here. The further you go in the competition the better the opposition becomes. It's a great chance to see a different type of football as well. I urge the supporters to buy tickets and get right behind us next Tuesday. It's very important to me and very important to the players as well."

Read more

Impact conquer Whitecaps in Canadian Champions League

The visiting Montreal Impact edged the Vancouver Whitecaps for a second straight game by a score of 2-0 in Canadian Champions League soccer action on Wednesday at Swangard Stadium.
    Roberto Brown scored a first-half goal in the 30th minute for Montreal, while former Whitecap David Testo doubled the Impact's lead in the 66th minute.
    The Impact improve to 4-0 since John Limniatis took over as coach on June 10 from Nick DeSantis, who was re-assigned to general manager.
    Despite the loss, Vancouver coach Teitur Thordarson was pleased with his team's effort.
    "I didn't think they were the better side, I thought we were much better," he said. "I felt we dominated the game, clearly.
    "We were very unfortunate to get two simple goals scored against us. We had several chances including a fantastic shot from Eddie Sebrango."
    The game was the latest in the Canadian Champions League — a three-team round-robin tournament involving Toronto FC (Canada's lone representative in the 14-team Major League Soccer), the Impact and the Whitecaps, who compete in the USL First Division (one level below MLS).
    Montreal improves to two wins and a loss in qualifying, Vancouver has two losses through two games, while Toronto earned a victory in its only match to date. Each team plays four games in total.

read more

Canadian Championships (Post-Game Math)

By Ben Rycroft

For the second game in a row the Montreal Impact defeated the Vancouver Whitecaps 2-0 - all but eliminating the Whitecaps from CONCACAF Champions League contention. Even at home, in front of the Swangard faithful last night, the Whitecaps looked outmatched and out hustled by a newly inspired Impact club. The Impact's new coach and former Impact player, John Limniatis, has led them to a 2-1-0 record in the Canadian Championships qualifiers while the slumping Whitecaps have fallen to 0-2-0 and sit in last place out of the three teams.
    Meanwhile, the Toronto FC, remain unbeaten having only played Montreal and defeated them 1-0.
    So, if I was to do the math, and keep in mind I went into journalism for a reason, for the Whitecaps to have any chance of qualifying they will have to beat Toronto in both of their games (July 1st BMO Stadium, July 9th Swangard Stadium) and Toronto would then have to beat Montreal.
    And with all the teams tied at a 2-2-0 record we would then all break out the abacuses, figure out the goal differentials and crown a winner. But since winning on goals is like kissing your sister I've got a better idea.
    So here are my predictions/prayers for the remainder of the Canadian Championships.

Read more

SUNSHINE
    Last edited by denime; 06-26-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

""

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

July 22 will be for all the marbles

Montreal has built up a significant goal differential in those Whitecaps games...if we don't win both Whitecap games, a draw July 22 may not be enough

How great is that game shaping up to be?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foe sure. We will need to either (1) beat Vancouver convincingly OR (2) win against Montreal @ BMO.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full Impact-Whitecaps match report:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...act-recap.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the current table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there something really weird about the area around today's sunshine girl's eyes or is that just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We need your support" or do you just want my money?

Well you can't have one untill you lower how much of the other one you want.
    I would like to go, but all the tickets that are left are over my head. I'm not even going to Chicago anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)