View Poll Results: Will you be dropping ANY of your season's tickets?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

133 43.89%
  • No

100 33.00%
  • Unsure

70 23.10%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    so, after i turned out the lights last night, i started thinking about why i'm so upset about all this, when it came to me...

i'm an England/Liverpool/Toronto FC supporter. i've just not had anything to smile about.
    You didn't have anything to smile about last night? I'm still grinning ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Maybe true, but not relevant.

A Spurs ticket is £680 is "x" percentage of a Londoner's wage.

"x" percentage of a Torontonian's wage isn't $1100 (£680 converted), it's less than that which is my sole point.
    Its absolutely relevant. You can change that dollar sign for a pound sign and leave the numbers exactly the same at the gas station for a start. When I first got a minimum wage job in Canada I thought I'd won the lottery given that my money went twice as far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    so, after i turned out the lights last night, i started thinking about why i'm so upset about all this, when it came to me...

i'm an England/Liverpool/Toronto FC supporter. i've just not had anything to smile about.
    Replace "Liverpool" with "Leeds" and you'll begin to feel my pain....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've spent the last two days looking for a way to remove myself from the waiting list and can't find an option, so I just email the rep to ask with a short concise and polite reasoning. I refuse to buy tickets at this prices and then watch it go up by double digit percentages every year. If and when I go to games I'll do what I did this year.. show up about 2 hours before kick off, and buy a ticket anywhere I want outside of the south end. for the Cruz Azul game I had front row 121 seats. For the Chicago game it was section 101.

as it is you can say he can I get a ticket in such and such a section and you'll get it. I can only make it to 7 games a year for my work schedule so why pay for the others. (I was planning on adjusting my schedule next year, and the later half of this year but the boys have been painful to watch)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Its absolutely relevant. You can change that dollar sign for a pound sign and leave the numbers exactly the same at the gas station for a start. When I first got a minimum wage job in Canada I thought I'd won the lottery given that my money went twice as far.
    You're missing the point...it has NOTHING to do with the cost of living anything like that.

The original point that I was argueing was that looking at what a Spurs ticket costs in Canadian dollars and comparing it to what a TFC cost in Canadian dollars isn't an accurate measure of how expensive those tickets are to a Spurs fan in London.

If we want to make an accurate comparison of how expensive a Spurs ticket is to a Londoner and how expensive a TFC ticket is to a Torontonian, then the value of each has to be made based on each of their ecconomies - not based on a straight exchange rate. Get my point?

When making this calculation the cost of food, gas, housing etc. in either country is no more relevant than the cost of food, gas, housing etc. when making a calculation based on the exchange rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    You didn't have anything to smile about last night? I'm still grinning ...
    i didn't get to see the game last night, and didn't find out the result until this morning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    You're missing the point...it has NOTHING to do with the cost of living anything like that.

The original point that I was argueing was that looking at what a Spurs ticket costs in Canadian dollars and comparing it to what a TFC cost in Canadian dollars isn't an accurate measure of how expensive those tickets are to a Spurs fan in London.

If we want to make an accurate comparison of how expensive a Spurs ticket is to a Londoner and how expensive a TFC ticket is to a Torontonian, then the value of each has to be made based on each of their ecconomies - not based on a straight exchange rate. Get my point?

When making this calculation the cost of food, gas, housing etc. in either country is no more relevant than the cost of food, gas, housing etc. when making a calculation based on the exchange rate.
    This is actually a pretty big debate in academia. One the one hand, what you say is true - domestic prices in domestic currencies are pretty important. One the other hand, with freely floating exchange rates and relatively free trade, which we have had for decades with the UK, prices in both countries should "normalize". This latter view is the position of the Economist, who publish a worldwide survey of the prices of Big Macs in 100 countries, converted to US dollars, every year.

There is no right or wrong answer. Both are valid points of view. I personally think the history of those English clubs, the relative importance of full houses to make the product attractive on TV (where they make most of their money) and the ancient, highly evolved seating/pricing/membership structures over there, are the most important reasons why the comparisons are meaningless.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is actually a pretty big debate in academia. One the one hand, what you say is true - domestic prices in domestic currencies are pretty important. One the other hand, with freely floating exchange rates and relatively free trade, which we have had for decades with the UK, prices in both countries should "normalize". This latter view is the position of the Economist, who publish a worldwide survey of the prices of Big Macs in 100 countries, converted to US dollars, every year.

There is no right or wrong answer. Both are valid points of view.
    I'm not sure how I'm not explaining this properly, but your point doesn't relate to the issue at hand.

I'm looking at the cost of a ticket in London vs. the cost of a ticket in Toronto. If we just take the cost of the ticket in London and convert it into Canadian dollars (as was originally done) we're making a judgement of wether or not that's expensive to us, not them. If we look at the cost of a ticket in London in relation to their own economy and look at the cost of a ticket in relation to our economy, we can answer what's at the heart of the matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that is really relevant is that fact that people here (toronto) have more disposable income than the average brit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    The only thing that is really relevant is that fact that people here (toronto) have more disposable income than the average brit.
    What does disposable income have to do with the relative cost of something in two different markets? What matters is how much - in relative terms - that thing costs to that person based on how much they earn in that market. The fact that someone else from another country might consider it cheap or expensive based on an exchange rate doesn't reflect its value in the market that it exists in.

What matters more to a Chinese person, the cost of a t-shirt in American dollars by someone who lives in America and earns American dollars, or the cost of a t-shirt based on the money he earns in China?

Saying that a shirt is cheap because it costs $10 US is foolish, because to someone in China $10 US is a lot of money.

If you want to know if t-shirts are cheaper to a Chinese person in China vs. an American in America you can't value the t-shirts in US dollars and make a judgement based on that. You have to know what the cost of the t-shirt is relative to the wage earner in each of those countries.

So to re-state the original point once again...converting the price of a ticket from Pounds to Canadian dollars and making a judegement on how cheap or expensive that is isn't meaningfull. A far more accurate measure of the relative cost of tickets in London vs. Toronto is to measure each the value of each in their own market.

Would it make any difference to you what so ever if someone in England said "You're tickets are cheap, a season ticket only costs £270!"? Of course not because you don't earn pounds! So why on earth would we make judegements about the relative cost of a ticket in England based on Canadian dollars and what we earn here? That's what an arguement based on exchange rate does, the way I've suggested that it be done wieghs the cost of a ticket in London to a Londoner vs. the cost of a ticket in Toronto to a Torontonian. That's - I thought - an obviously better measure of the relative cost.

In short - an absolute number whether its in dollars or Pounds - is meaningless measure of expense without the context of its economy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    There is no value in having season tickets when I can buy seats whenever I want. I would end up saving money. TFC lives in a fantasy world!!

Only MLSE can manage to take the goodwill and general enthusiasm of a fanbase and bleed it dry in four years.
    well said juan

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

FUCK YOU!

KD.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Good point. Interestingly, the Big Mac index would only add 15% to the cost of a UK seasons' ticket vs. Canada (4.0/3.48), so it doesn't disturb the overall cost comparison.

http://www.economist.com/node/166461...ry_id=16646178
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I've made up my mind.
    Due to costs and the desire not to be totally ripped off by these vultures - I think I'm going to have to split my season ticket next year. Only half the games - but what can you do.

Thanks TFC.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Due to costs and the desire not to be totally ripped off by these vultures - I think I'm going to have to split my season ticket next year. Only half the games - but what can you do.

Thanks TFC.

Thanks.
    I remember on the old boards how happy people were at the $200 price for the supporters sections...I can't remember who it was but there were some on the board saying that MLSE would screw people eventually with raising the ticket prices out of our range. Some of us actually argued against it thinking that MLSE knew what a great thing they had and even they couldn't screw this up...well September 2010 here we are ladies and gentlemen.

"I won an award!"

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps my call a few years ago to stop pretending like these are good people and lessen the relationship with the suits makes more sense now. How does it feel to be treated like a lap dog for years? This has been coming, all the evidence to come out of that office has been towards moments like this, and everyone gets caught up with how nice people are, or how they are straight shooters. They've been using you, and now they're throwing you out. I love the group you guys run, but take charge now, STOP PLAYING BY THEIR TERMS. It's about time we treated the FO the way the FO treats us.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post

Thanks TFC.

Thanks.
    There have it. Way to turn off the Founding President of the largest supporters group.

Way to go, TFC. Way to go MLSE.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    I remember on the old boards how happy people were at the $200 price for the supporters sections...I can't remember who it was but there were some on the board saying that MLSE would screw people eventually with raising the ticket prices out of our range. Some of us actually argued against it thinking that MLSE knew what a great thing they had and even they couldn't screw this up...well September 2010 here we are ladies and gentlemen.

"I won an award!"

What pisses me off is that things haven't been good this year (on the field and off) and where do all the warm and fuzzy FO people^^ go???? Not a word from the people that wanted to nurture this support, who fed us lines until you almost believed they gave a shit.

They knew they were bringing the pain at the end of this year with this bullshit jack up and they ^^ just stay away. Nice to know that when things aren't all rosy and everyone stops congratulating each other the powers that be ^^^ have fucked off. Hey, who wants to listen to people (who put you in the lofty spot you're in) complain about how you fucked them eh?

I hope at least some of you up there feel badly for this cash grab. Let me ask you FO people this...When you compare what we, the supporters give you and your bottom line to what we get back from you and what we've seen on that field for 4 years, can you honestly sleep at night believing it's even close to ok? Really?

Fuck you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i won't drop mine,

rather, i'll reduce my home game attendance by 50% by selling pairs to games i won't attend
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought i'd update you on my thinking, as you'll all be interested . I still really dont know what I'm gonna do. part of me wants to drop one of my two tickets but you arent allowed to leave a single in relocation so this, as far as i know, isnt allowed. I dont want to give up my tickets....but i dont know what's gonna happen. I guess im too sad/angry to deal with it all this week. If only this team were about football once in a while

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im splitting mine as well - half the games, but yes......what are you going to do?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    part of me wants to drop one of my two tickets but you arent allowed to leave a single in relocation so this, as far as i know, isnt allowed.
    Surely if someone has a pair, they can simply renew one of their tickets, not both. This would be now, rather than at relocation. Presumably once you have your single, you can then go to relocation.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the rest of the money id have otherwise spent im going to buy myself a new surfboard. i wont feel like a pigeon being taken for some chain-choked financial ride that way......hopefully mother nature doesnt stiff me on the cost of being outside by 125% over 4 yrs *fingers crossed*

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been following this whole story, but does MLSE really think that by jacking up the prices they're going to put bums in seats, when at the old price already people weren't there?

It seems like a horrible business idea if you ask me. If there's a decline in your product you reduce prices, not increase them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why get haft season pack why give mlse any more money

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They think it is supply and demand according to big Tom and are convinced that demand is still high. They are going to learn the hard way I think and this "culture" they are talking about creating in the marketing campaign will be squashed eventually instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least we're not the only ones suffering - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...-ticket-costs/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i've come to the conclusion, i will not be renewing mine
    fuck it, not worth waiting any longer for a chance to maybe get something in the south end.
    even that, i don't make every game. i usually score tickets in the south end for most games anyways, so fuck it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only game I care about going to next season is when we play montreal