The case for smoke at BMO Field.

Comments always welcome.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed big guy.

What I would hope for is for the team to work with supporters who want to use "peripherals" in their support in a safe and effective manner. The smoke behind the net is a start but all it does is create fog that seeps on to the field during the start of the game. The confetti is nice. A light show would be fun.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I do really see this as a big issue.

We already have a problem (problem probably isn't the right word) with supporters who are more concerned with what they are doing than what's going on on the pitch.

I think we need more focus on supporting in unison with what's going on on the pitch rather than supporters creating a spectacle.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I just don't see this as a huge issue.

I just want to watch some good football, have a beer with friends, have awesome banners and sing and chant my butt off. Anything other than that is pretty much fluff for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Agreed big guy.

What I would hope for is for the team to work with supporters who want to use "peripherals" in their support in a safe and effective manner. The smoke behind the net is a start but all it does is create fog that seeps on to the field during the start of the game. The confetti is nice. A light show would be fun.
    I've never been a fan of that smoke when our team occupies the south end of the field at the start of the game. I can't imagine that it's easy for Frei to see when he's surrounded by smoke. Nevertheless, I'm all for seeing flares and smoke used by supporters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Smoke Em If You Got Em!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...if-you-got-em/

The case for smoke at BMO Field.

Comments always welcome.
    call me old thanx, but don't like it....can U garauntee me, anyone using these devices, that everyone using them is responsible and not drunk out of their mind........would you want any of your kids near there?...if one has kids of ,but thats how I, view the environment, and I would like to see the game of course....it brings up the notion, is the game the show piece, or are the fans the centre of attraction.?.....Flares scare my wife and I, and I can't reassure her as I was in the hospital beside a burn victim of fireworks abuse......it's horrific......sorry many are responsible, but just as many are fools
    Last edited by jazzy; 09-18-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    To be honest, I do really see this as a big issue.

We already have a problem (problem probably isn't the right word) with supporters who are more concerned with what they are doing than what's going on on the pitch.

I think we need more focus on supporting in unison with what's going on on the pitch rather than supporters creating a spectacle.
    Thank-you. Someone needed to say that sometime.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe people have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time?

I have no problems singing and watching the game all at once.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why does this not surprise me in the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree with the article. Flares are dangerous, but there are so many dangerous things in BMO.

I have seen people pushing and shoving to get out during halftime, I have seen balls peg people in the head, opposing group supporters heading into areas with home supporters to cause trouble, and much, much more.

Flares, IMO are the least of their worries. If, like stated, MLSE places boxes of sand or water to safely dispose of the flares, and regulates what type of flares are allowed to be used, and works with the fire marshalls to ensure everything will be safe, there isnt really a risk. And on top of that, have (again, as mentioned above) only certain, trusted, members of the group control the flares.

People will know not to be retarded about things near the flares. When there is something like that around, everyone is looking out to make sure everything is handled safely. There are more risks (in my eyes) coming from assholes that are anxious to get to the beer stand during halftime, then carefully controlled flares.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    I completely agree with the article. Flares are dangerous, but there are so many dangerous things in BMO.

I have seen people pushing and shoving to get out during halftime, I have seen balls peg people in the head, opposing group supporters heading into areas with home supporters to cause trouble, and much, much more.

Flares, IMO are the least of their worries. If, like stated, MLSE places boxes of sand or water to safely dispose of the flares, and regulates what type of flares are allowed to be used, and works with the fire marshalls to ensure everything will be safe, there isnt really a risk. And on top of that, have (again, as mentioned above) only certain, trusted, members of the group control the flares.

People will know not to be retarded about things near the flares. When there is something like that around, everyone is looking out to make sure everything is handled safely. There are more risks (in my eyes) coming from assholes that are anxious to get to the beer stand during halftime, then carefully controlled flares.
    Well said.

Water doesn't work with marine flares though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ meh if you're going to idiot proof the flares it becomes another lame gimmick. flares are awesome b/c they give an aura of being badass ..... but if the whole thing becomes scripted with sand pits and designated lighters ..... the like someone already said this whole exercise is just a side show and diversion from the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What else are you supposed to do with the flares once they are done, drop them down at your feet? Theres always some way to safely handle the flares, after the lighting, and criticizing the sand pits because of that is idiotic.

Some people look at is as a "diversion from the game" others look at it as getting behind your team, and giving them a hell of a reason to fight. As a player, if I were to see my supporters with flares, there would be no way in hell I would let that match be lost.

And also, from the standpoint of tv, and the rest of the stadium, nobody knows that there are only certain fans allowed to hold the flares. Hell, I doubt it would even be noticed by the fans in that same section. Its not like everyone would have a flare anyways.

The flares wouldnt even be done that often. Just during high-profile night games for the most part. Most games happen when its bright as hell outside, so the amount of games that flares are even eligible to be used during, are minimal.

If you are wanting people to pay attention to the game, then start petitioning MLSE to bann the people selling beer, pop, chips and shit, as well as not letting people into their seats while play is running.

There is more time during the season where people are distracted by those two things alone, then they would be if they looked at what was going on with the flares/smoke in the south end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fluff got an entire team to jump in the stands with us after and the entire home support to stand and clap and buy us drinks all night

during the 90 mins,its about giving everything you have for you club, win or lose, showing them you are there.

ask the academy and there parents about last night

ill stick to my style and you can have your "tea and crumpet clap clap" supporting style
    Last edited by London; 09-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    fluff got an entire team to jump in the stands with us after and the entire home support to stand and clap and buy us drinks all night

during the 90 mins,its about giving everything you have for you club, win or lose, showing them you are there.

ask the academy and there parents about last night

ill stick to my style and you can have your "tea and crumpet clap clap" supporting style
    QFT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points all.

Great to se a nice little discussion getting going.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've already had one instance of two flares. One tossed on to the field, and the other into the stands.

I don't see how a "tea and crumpet clap clap" will put someone in hospital if improperly done.

Clapping, singing and chanting also don't stop people from seeing the game, either.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    We've already had one instance of two flares. One tossed on to the field, and the other into the stands.

I don't see how a "tea and crumpet clap clap" will put someone in hospital if improperly done.

Clapping, singing and chanting also don't stop people from seeing the game, either.
    Thats been done by idiots who wouldnt be allowed to have the flares. If it were to be allowed by MLSE, then the flares would be handled similar to the flags. Only allowed in at one gate, and it could even be extended to being so far as only allowing certain people to bring them in.

And as I said before, there have been problems with the way we are doing it now. There have been supporters from the opposition coming and picking fights, supporters picking fights with other supporters, and like we saw a couple weeks ago, the U-sector and RPB's getting at it...

No matter what you do, there are going to be idiots, and the idiots you are pointing out, were not even supposed to have the flares, and were perma-banned (and probally charged) as a result of their actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about chearleaders...selected purely on feminine physical beauty for once, and discarded annually if not fit or past their prime at 22. That is what I want and what I think will improve the atmosphere. And hot pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    How about chearleaders...selected purely on feminine physical beauty for once, and discarded annually if not fit or past their prime at 22. That is what I want and what I think will improve the atmosphere. And hot pants.
    I agree. They should hire another Scotts Girl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. They should hire another Scotts Girl
    change her pants to white!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And have a mist machine set up too right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this isn't a MLSE FO issue... this is a regulatory and liability issue. The ultimate call would rest with the provincial fire marshall's office, and they have a zero tolerance policy toward the use of incendiary devices, flares, smoke bombs and the like at public events unless in a controlled environment under professional supervision (read: not in the stands). But the real stopper is that no one can without doubt demonstrate that something won't go wrong, and even the slightest danger raises a huge issue of liability for MLSE, the city and the regulatory bodies that should oversee such things (like the fire marshall).
    so no-one's going to expose themselves or their interests to a damages claim over a pretty light show... ain't gonna happen and ain't nothing we can do about it...
    public safety will always be the trump card.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Maybe people have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time?

I have no problems singing and watching the game all at once.
    unfortunately you are the exception, not the rule.
    A lot of people, that aren't capo, are too busy turning back and yelling..."c'mon you f'ers!!" and don't realize that maybe something is going on on the pitch behind them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no problems with cops any time i've been around flares.
    they just wanted to make sure we were being safe, and we were. ie last night
    should be like the sons of ben, and have people specifically designated and 'qualified' to do these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE is lazy ...flares doesn't make them money (yet) until people realize they are beautiful and then want to be at the games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    ...people specifically designated and 'qualified' to do these things.
    that'll be the minimum requirement, but the police won't be the one's deciding whether we can have flares, etc at beemo... (as per my previous post), they'll just be the one's enforcing the decision.

the cost-benefit analysis for those who would have to accept responsibility just doesn't add up in their favour, so it won't happen.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's flare parade but unless the regulatory culture of ontario changes dramatically flares at beemo will not be permitted. we are so far from it happening that it might as well be a thought-experiment rather than an aspiration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoke is for primitive football matches.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also - not to deflect from the original post (it was an interesting read) - but we wouldn't even have this conversation if TFC could actually put something worth getting excited about on the field.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    Smoke is for primitive football matches.
    holky shit a wee bit racist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    holky shit a wee bit racist
    don't worry there's smoke at my hometown club's matches. ultras are everywhere except England