Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a need for extra dressing rooms, media facilities and the like for the games. If the cost of an East Stand is 15 million, with this cost split three ways between Pan Am, various levels of Government (City, Provincial and Federal) along with MLSE, then that might be just the sort of partnership Peddie was hinting about.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Central View Post
    reality? what reality? Toronto is not Montreal my friend. Remember the Game Vs Jamaica? I do. I was in 112. I can safely say Canadians outnumbered the Jamaicans easy. However meaningless friendlies after a world cup area a different story, were you really expecting a sellout?
    I was in 112 myself, so I remember it vividly. And what difference does it make whether it is a WCQ or a "meaningless friendly"? Shouldn't Canada supporters come out to see their national side regardless of the type of match?

In addition, I wouldn't say we outnumbered them easy...Canada had a majority of the supporters there no doubt but I don't think it is as lop sided as you claim it to be.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Hmmmm.... I guess it's possible. The stadium in Hamilton is the big project for the Pan-Am Games, though. It's definitely plausible.
    That's been falling apart on a daily basis. Would not be surprised if they pulled the whole venture out of Hamilton. They thought the Tiger Cats and the City would play nicey nice with each other and it ain't happened yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    I was in 112 myself, so I remember it vividly. And what difference does it make whether it is a WCQ or a "meaningless friendly"? Shouldn't Canada supporters come out to see their national side regardless of the type of match?

In addition, I wouldn't say we outnumbered them easy...Canada had a majority of the supporters there no doubt but I don't think it is as lop sided as you claim it to be.

Labour day weekend is a tough sell... Canadianized Canada supporters like drinking, bbq, cottage, camping and alot of other stuff that happens to be away from downtown. Had it been any other regular saturday, i woulda been there.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fetajr View Post
    Labour day weekend is a tough sell... Canadianized Canada supporters like drinking, bbq, cottage, camping and alot of other stuff that happens to be away from downtown. Had it been any other regular saturday, i woulda been there.
    It wasn't my intention to point fingers at people. Scheduling it over the Labour Day long weekend was a product of it being a FIFA International matchday.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait, I could see my beloved habs stomp the maple laughs on a new years day game, and then a few months later see my beloved TFC stomp the impact.
    Last edited by habstfc; 09-20-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Can't wait, I could see my beloved habs stomp the laughs on a new years day game, and then a few months later see my beloved TFC stomp the impact.

a montreal AND toronto fan?

LOL. Cant make that up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    a montreal AND toronto fan?

LOL. Cant make that up!
    There are more of us out there than you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an Amazing Race-style corporate function, I once had to wear a Habs jersey outside of the ACC and serve as a route marker. No one ever complained about the jersey. In fact, a few pedestrians actually complimented it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    Couldn't they achieve that by simply putting another deck on on the current east stand? Is it really necessary to tear it down and build a new stand?
    Well, first thing to remember is that MLSE wheel Larry Tanenbaum is the king of concrete around here.

They want the suites and mirroring the west side means they will have support services properly housed in a bigger stand. Plus better washrooms and concessions. The east side is a bit like Hong Kong harbour now when we have a full house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ron Ford is going to get rid of you guys.

Also should add that if Ford doesn't get you, Grabovski will most likely punch you in the face (bring your wife lol....)
    Last edited by billyfly; 09-21-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the citizens of toronto actually considering voting for that guy. Must be something in the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    The east side is a bit like Hong Kong harbour now when we have a full house.
    Do we have those any more? Full houses that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the citizens of toronto actually considering voting for that guy. Must be something in the water.
    Yes the citizens of Toronto (capital T thank you very much), are allowed to do stupid things (like boldly declare themselves fans of other city's teams)....lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a citizen of toronto, don't live there. It's funny I went to the tailgate in early may and met a couple of fellow rpb who are also habs fans. Growing up in barrie in the 70's and 80's it was probably a 50/50 split between leafs and non leafs fans. Lots of bruins fans, islanders, philly, oilers etc. Now I see lots of detroit, ottawa, pittsburgh. Back to topic, it WILL be really sweet to see habs beat leafs in outdoors game, no really it would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a citizen of toronto, don't live there. It's funny I went to the tailgate in early may and met a couple of fellow rpb who are also habs fans. Growing up in barrie in the 70's and 80's it was probably a 50/50 split between leafs and non leafs fans. Lots of bruins fans, islanders, philly, oilers etc. Now I see lots of detroit, ottawa, pittsburgh. Back to topic, it WILL be really sweet to see habs beat leafs in outdoors game, no really it would.
    And some of us wonder why the RPB isn't a truly united group.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    And some of us wonder why the RPB isn't a truly united group.....
    Hell...we have people who show up in Supporter sections wearing shirts of football teams from Europe.

There's lots of people here whose avatar or signature references non-TFC teams. In my own defence, Milltown FC started as a result of a discussion on this forum called Project True FC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they did vote for Mel Lastman as their mayor. Twice.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yeah, not trying to start a sh*tstorm here.

Its a topic I feel strongly about but I know that not everyone feels the same way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob Ford is a HUGE Argo's supporters. I wonder if this expansion is also focused on further ensuring that the Argo's never play at BMO considering that it looks like Ford will be the next mayor. *facepalm*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Rob Ford is a HUGE Argo's supporters. I wonder if this expansion is also focused on further ensuring that the Argo's never play at BMO considering that it looks like Ford will be the next mayor. *facepalm*
    oh my. don't give me ANOTHER reason to be worried about Rob Ford as mayor! shit!

Imagine this shocking development: Rob Ford changes his perspective on taxpayer funding and decides it's OK to give 10 million to the Argos to expand BMO for CFL. "It's good for the community and the youth."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and it's hilarious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    oh my. don't give me ANOTHER reason to be worried about Rob Ford as mayor! shit!

Imagine this shocking development: Rob Ford changes his perspective on taxpayer funding and decides it's OK to give 10 million to the Argos to expand BMO for CFL. "It's good for the community and the youth."
    Ugh, will NEVER HAPPEN. BMO would require a total rebuild to accommodate the CFL- TFC doesn't want it, MLSE doesn't want it, the Argos no longer want it, there's no smoke, there's no fire. If anything he may approve funding for the Argos to build a similar stadium to BMO which would be the best possible outcome for everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Ugh, will NEVER HAPPEN. BMO would require a total rebuild to accommodate the CFL- TFC doesn't want it, MLSE doesn't want it, the Argos no longer want it, there's no smoke, there's no fire. If anything he may approve funding for the Argos to build a similar stadium to BMO which would be the best possible outcome for everyone
    Agreed. I don't see the argos coming to bmo, too many stadium issues.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I don't see the argos coming to bmo, too many stadium issues.
    I do hope they get their own stadium though, their fans deserve it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos wanted a state of the art stadium 30 years ago.

Half a billion dollars of taxpayers money, and they got it.

Then, the Argos decideded that they needed a more intimate stadium, and on October 20, 2004, on the Daily Commercial News and Construction Record web site that
    "York University has announced that an agreement has been reached for the construction of a 25,000-seat stadium on the York University Keele campus. The stadium will be the new home of the Toronto Argonauts and a worldclass venue for Canadian soccer.

The new stadium, which will become part of the regional athletic centre being created on York’s campus, will also play a significant role in the Canadian Soccer Association’s (CSA) hosting of the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship, which will be played in six Canadian cities. The championship has a budget of approximately $30 million, almost half of which will be spent in Toronto.
    “This $70-million project is an example of successful co-operation between governments, York University, amateur and professional sports,” said Joe Volpe, federal Minister Responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, who confirmed that the federal government will be contributing $27 million toward the cost of the new stadium.
    Ontario Minister of Tourism and Recreation Jim Bradley stated: “The McGuinty government is pleased to be a part of a project that will greatly improve recreational opportunities for the local community, the university and athletes across Ontario.”
    York University will provide the land for the new stadium as well as $15 million.
    Private funding, led by Argo coowners Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon, will contribute another $20 million, and the Ontario government will provide $8 million. In addition, the Argos will be responsible for any operating shortfall on an annual basis that might arise from the operation of the stadium. The new stadium, which will become a home for Canadian soccer, home field for the Argos in 2006, and host the FIFA World Youth Championship, will remain the property of York University.

Attachment 526

Next, on May 12, 2005, the CBC reported that:
    York University has pulled out of a plan to build a new $70-million sports stadium on its campus in Toronto.
    The move comes less than a month after the CFL's Toronto Argonauts dropped plans to relocate the proposed facility. The Argos opted instead to remain at the Rogers Centre in downtown Toronto after being offered rent-free use of the dome.
    The Argos were committed to contribute $20 million to the project, as well as any cost overruns for the 25,000-seat stadium. The federal government committed $27 million and the provincial government another $8 million. The university was to donate the land and $15 million.

The project was scheduled to break ground this summer.
    However, with the Argos no longer involved, York decided it was best to pull out of the project too.

So, to hell with the Argos.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy the York U. stadium collapsed. Its my belief that TFC never comes into existence otherwise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESPND commentator mentioned the expansion during the NYRB and Galaxy game tonight saying Toronto FC has announced it, also mentions the 17k(?) waiting list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should rename this to bmo to exand to 30,000 sucker will to pay a arm and a leg