Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Its possible this idea will be shelved until this team has some optimism again.
    New Coach!
    New Direction!
    New Signings!
    New Season!
    New Kits!

.......that will always bring optimism for the TFC faithfuls.....

Im optimistic already!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expanding the stadium to 30,000 just makes sense. Yes, I said it makes sense. And here's why:

TFC will never be only team that plays there.

While it's hard to picture 30,000 people showing up consistantly to watch TFC play MLS regular season matches at BMO Field, it's not a stretch to see a crowd of that size show up for a match between, I dunno, let's say... Barcelona and Liverpool, or Man United and Real Madrid. You get the picture. While those seats may sit empty for much of the season, there is a good chance they'll be filled if any big-name clubs come to town.

And let's not forget that the Maple Leafs really REALLY want to play a Winter Classic somewhere in the city. Yes, it may be a game they'll play once every five years or so, but in the long run, it might end up being cheaper to use permanent seating rather that constantly putting up and taking down temporary bleachers.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

Btw, does anyone see bigger stadium = more money = sign players of higher caliber = better on-field performance?

...No? Nobody? Just checking.
    Btw, are you familiar with the salary cap? Yes? No? Just checking.

Doesn't matter that gate sales go up if you're capped at $3 mln every year. You still need a squad, and that means your squad will be mostly guys worth in the $40K-$100K range.

This is bad idea because it'll kill the atmosphere. There's a reason most of the waiting list is red rather than gold. They're casuals, more of the "maybe I will, maybe I won't crowd."

"Our house" will start feeling really cavernous on matchday when it looks like there are 13,000 people missing. Just imagine a mid-week Voyageurs Cup game. It would feel like TFC have no fans at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Expanding the stadium to 30,000 just makes sense. Yes, I said it makes sense. And here's why:

TFC will never be only team that plays there.

While it's hard to picture 30,000 people showing up consistantly to watch TFC play MLS regular season matches at BMO Field, it's not a stretch to see a crowd of that size show up for a match between, I dunno, let's say... Barcelona and Liverpool, or Man United and Real Madrid. You get the picture. While those seats may sit empty for much of the season, there is a good chance they'll be filled if any big-name clubs come to town.

And let's not forget that the Maple Leafs really REALLY want to play a Winter Classic somewhere in the city. Yes, it may be a game they'll play once every five years or so, but in the long run, it might end up being cheaper to use permanent seating rather that constantly putting up and taking down temporary bleachers.
    The ONLY way it gets to 30,000 seats is if they put the Argos there...Is that what you want?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    The ONLY way it gets to 30,000 seats is if they put the Argos there...Is that what you want?
    Got anything to back that up with, or is this just speculation on your part? I ask because you sound really sure about yourself, yet I don't see why you need one to have the other.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos aren't coming. You would need to tear down both the south and north stands to make it happen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a news story confirming the expansion plans:

http://www.onenewspage.com/news/Spor...-BMO-Field.htm
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long will it take them to do this? Aren't there tons of approval that must go through council first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    DISCLAIMER OFF TOPIC

....but
    The more and more I hear talk about the Argos, the more and more i think, that as the MLS grows, to a future 20 team league. It really doesnt even come to my mind that it would be possible for the Argos to play at BMO. If you have a future outlook to what Torontos schedule would consist of it would be 19 home games, and more if in the playoffs, plus (at the moment) 3 nutrilte home games, (if qualified) 5 champions league home games, and more if advancing. That brings a total number to 27+ possible home games a season.

Most of the additonal competitions take place in the May-August time frame.

*also noting that Toronto always has a couple away games to start the season.

CFL starts in July, and has about 9 home games.

I honestly DONT see this possible, because lets say toronto plays a champions league game on wednesday, Argos play on Friday, the gridiron lines get painted on, field gets molested, the field will not be healed in time for a Toronto league match on the Sunday.

So end the argos talk because ....

IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    here's a news story confirming the expansion plans:

http://www.onenewspage.com/news/Spor...-BMO-Field.htm
    That article doesn't confirm anything. It's just a re-quote of an article already posted.

Peddie's speech was just a "rah-rah, here's how great MLSE is and how much we're helping the people of Toronto, blah blah blah".

He said they "need" to expand based on a waiting list number. There's no way that anyone in MLSE believes that the "waiting list" is really a list of people clamoring to get season's tickets. It's just a mailing list of people who have, at some time, expressed interest in tickets.

MLSE can see the empty seats just as clearly as we can, and they're not stupid with their money. There's no way that they build an extra 8,000 seats with the demand as soft as it is now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't know what to think here...Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I'm gonna choose to look only on the bright side here - let's assume that the expansion plans are part of a broader strategy that would include a "Henry-like" signing and maybe the development of the Academy facility we have seen plans for. Del-Piero, for example would add 10k in season's tickets without much trouble.

We know MLSE has the cash to do it, and despite what many say they actually do want to put winners on the ice/court/pitch (their ability to do so is another topic altogether).

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liverpool vs Porto brought 42,000 people out in 2004. Little did we know it at the time, but that game pitted the 2004 Champions League winners against the 2005 Champions League winners.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this club continues on it's slide they'll need to reduce the capacity......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Got anything to back that up with, or is this just speculation on your part? I ask because you sound really sure about yourself, yet I don't see why you need one to have the other.
    Because there's no way TFC can consistently sell 30,000 tickets....so who else would use it besides the Leafs (once every 5 years) and 1 or 2 BIG NAME exhibition matches????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    why? BMO is too small for the Argos. The North Stand effectively eliminated any extension of the field north. So right now you can't fit a CFL field in. Second, if they had to move back the south end to fit the CFL field, the field would be off centre, so many seats would have awkward views. Pantalone said it would cost multi-millions just to destroy the south end and rebuild.

Plus, by expanding to get more friendlies, they could easily get more $$$$ from that than by bringing in the Argos. Argos would want a heavy share of revenue. Not to mention the new grass field would be completely messed up by CFL.

If they expand, I really do see them as expanding solely for soccer. MLSE doesn't need the Argos at all.
    I think city politics will come into play though, even though there are going to be a ton of friendlys by big Euro clubs every year. I'm not sure MLSE can keep the Argos out of a 30k stadium that is city owned. But I don't live in Toronto so I'm no expert on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“MLSE believes in Toronto and if the initiatives we are looking at are good for our fans, Torontonians, and fiscally responsible, you will see many more city builder investments from us.”

Does Toronto believe in MLSEL though?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We need a roof or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We need a roof or two.
    A player or two would be a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than encourage the Argos to come, expansion will just make it that much more difficult for them to play at BMO. The playing field is already far too short by CFL standards. If additional seats are added on, specifically in the south end, they will provide even more infrastructure that has to be moved aside in order for the Argos to squeeze in. The Argos had a slim chance of moving in before the north stand was built; now they've got next to none.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found these online.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also bear in mind BMO Field is also supposed to be the national football stadium of Canada.

Perhaps an expansion might allow for more high profile teams to come in and play matches v Canada, although that is probably wishful thinking that there is this kind of foresight with our national football association; the reality is Canadian supporters would probably be even more outnumbered in our own stadium.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    Also bear in mind BMO Field is also supposed to be the national football stadium of Canada.

Perhaps an expansion might allow for more high profile teams to come in and play matches v Canada, although that is probably wishful thinking that there is this kind of foresight with our national football association; the reality is Canadian supporters would probably be even more outnumbered in our own stadium.
    at least we could slowly start making money though. Think of how much the CSA could make if they somehow convinced Italy to come over here.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    at least we could slowly start making money though. Think of how much the CSA could make if they somehow convinced Italy to come over here.
    Yeah that is a definite upside, at least in terms of money.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else think the timing of this is ludicrous? As more and more of the stadium is showing through with empty seats why would they take a risk in making us look like the rest of the league with empty seats?

I guess I shouldn't complain. 30k is still not that much but I hope enough casuals come out.

I don't think we have to worry about capacity for Canada games until the WCQ's. Sad but a fact.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    The Argos aren't coming. You would need to tear down both the south and north stands to make it happen.
    Regardless of the pitch, you cant get two CFL teams into dressing rooms that normally hold two MLS teams. Too many players and kit items.
    CFL said as much when they were forced to come and do an inspection to shut the previous Argos owners up.

Dead subject.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 30 000 is a stretch for the current state of the club.

However, it could coincide with getting two "top-level DPs" to help put butts on the seats. The Red Bull have done this, not sure if it has worked, but most North American teams do this to entice fans to coming to the stadium/arena.

If a 30 000 stadium with a roof means we can get top-quality DPs .... then so be it. This may be part of the business plan from MLSE to justify getting some top quality players. It may even be necessary to attract players to Toronto. Food for thought.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    found these online.

I don't know if these drawings are real or not. The stands are not to scale. This is showing the North stand the same as the West. Unless they plan a major overhaul.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I don't know if these drawings are real or not. The stands are not to scale. This is showing the North stand the same as the West. Unless they plan a major overhaul.
    i'm sure they aren't. i can't imagine them putting in a grandstand on the west unless their intention is to keep the view of the toronto skyline open. i also hope that the roof wouldn't look like that, but i guess beggars can't be choosers.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to laugh at ML$E - expand the stadium? This is going to lead to great cheap seats for us all, here is why:

- they couldn't even sell the extra seats they put in this year
    - most games were 1/2 - 3/4 full this year
    - the wait list is a joke, most won't pony up when they see the price
    - tickets go for about 1/2 price on ebay... (bough and sold a few myself
    this year...)
    - many, many 4 year ST owners, like me will not renew this year

The result - I will have great tickets on ebay, to the games I can go to next year for less cost, no pre-payment 6-11 months in advance, no fuckin stupid scarf with black stripes (WTF?), no dorky white shoe bag, dumb TFC sticker with no logo, no mo, no bigoted anti Canadian Preki, no filling ML$E pockets unneccessarily, no mid-week non-MLS games that I have bought but can't use, no Real Madrid we should have got in our season package, no waiting 4 years for grass, no 2010 MLS Cup tickets given to 2011 ST holders (what!!! 2010 holders deserve those F'ing tickets!) - esentially no mo guff from ML$E - I am driving the bus from now on!

Whew - I feel so much better!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A roof would be cool, but I wouldn't want them to break the bank. My suspision is that increasing the capacity to 30,000 and the possibility of increasing revenue may be what puts the plans on building a roof and getting expensive DPs possible.

Toronto FC is still a business, not a charity.

Some people have also mentioned that this may be part of the plans of the CSA to attract higher-profile teams. If we had a stadium like this, wouldn't you want to see Spain, Italy, England, Brazil, Argentina, or Germany for some friendlies? It would be possible.

If the CSA, MLSE, and the city of Toronto can agree to share the cost, it's a win-win-win for everyone. Canada can attract higher-profile squads, TFC can go and get the best players available and they may be able to show-off TFC better, we can attract better players. BMO would generate more money and that bodes well for the City of Toronto. It's hard to say, but I can make an argument for this move.
    ¡Vamos Celta!