Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canadian Quota to be scrapped?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...397/story.html

I don't recall this ever being discussed. Did we know about this? This will probably be good for clubs from a competitive point of view as it will not tie their hands, but it will seriously take away from the development of Canadian players which was our hope when TFC entered the league!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I saw a couple of references to it on twitter yesterday but in all the commotion about Preki/Mojo I think it got lost in the shuffle.

From an Academy perspective - would we not still want to focus on local talent? Are there any sort of rules in place for where we can pull in players from? If not, then yeah, I can see this being a serious downside for Canadian soccer developement.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was discussed when Mo mentioned it on GOL TV.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big surprise apparently to Weber...it was in the "other" paper two weeks ago...http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=24390

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't care for CMNT. I care to see TFC succeed. So if that means having 2 Canadians on the team then so be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It was discussed when Mo mentioned it on GOL TV.

Who? teehee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Don't care for CMNT. I care to see TFC succeed. So if that means having 2 Canadians on the team then so be it.
    Exactly.

Cream raises to the top, the Will Johnsons and De Rosarios of Canada will find football clubs. There's no need to force us to sign the Andrea Lombardos for soccer to grow in Canada. Having competitive clubs that play attractive football is enough of a selling point in my opinion

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in gauranteed spots. It sure as hell doesn't help the CFL. The locals will always want to play in front of their family and friends and the best way to ensure that is to have the best side possible for them to come back to or aspire to.

This attitude can actually benefit Canada. You know, the country you live in and don't support.

fucking facepalm.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The graduation of Academy players will still be necessary/helpful....a team with some local boys playing on it will always outdraw and be more popular in the community, than a team full of imports, all things being equal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Exactly.

Cream raises to the top, the Will Johnsons and De Rosarios of Canada will find football clubs. There's no need to force us to sign the Andrea Lombardos for soccer to grow in Canada. Having competitive clubs that play attractive football is enough of a selling point in my opinion
    I take it you're not Canadians? If you're not that's cool.

Stupid if this goes through. 1 of the main reasons TFC was allowed to join was on the condition they develop Canadian talent. Otherwise, would the CSA have ok'd it? Actually this is the CSA we're talking about... lol

I don't think their has to be guaranteed spots playing. if the Canadian players aren't too good, wouldn't they be on the bench?
    But if every other league favours domestic players, why don't we?

Oh wait this is Canada, where we treat foreigners better than citizens...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...397/story.html

I don't recall this ever being discussed. Did we know about this? This will probably be good for clubs from a competitive point of view as it will not tie their hands, but it will seriously take away from the development of Canadian players which was our hope when TFC entered the league!
    I don't agree. This means Cdns will not count as imports for the US clubs. There may be more Canadians playing in MLS not less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I don't believe in gauranteed spots. It sure as hell doesn't help the CFL. The locals will always want to play in front of their family and friends and the best way to ensure that is to have the best side possible for them to come back to or aspire to.

This attitude can actually benefit Canada. You know, the country you live in and don't support.

fucking facepalm.
    Really? Because both teams in the Grey Cup last year had more than their quota of Canadians.

In fact, out of their six receivers listed on the "normal" roster, 5 of them are canadians.

Quotas work, after a fashion. It's about finding quality players to fill that quota and developing those who can be developed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Really? Because both teams in the Grey Cup last year had more than their quota of Canadians.

In fact, out of their six receivers listed on the "normal" roster, 5 of them are canadians.

Quotas work, after a fashion. It's about finding quality players to fill that quota and developing those who can be developed.
    After a fashion. But most of us aren't in fashion. Let's not start down this road. There are CFL fans in this country. Not many would say the players are the best in the world.

IMO Quotas, especially in the CFL, doom the teams involved to mediocrity.

You want to impress on another sports msg board with those numbers? What it means to me is that the rate of Canadian talent is growing past the pathetic rate that the league chose.

Open it up or close it. All Canadians or Free Market. But that would doom the league. I get it.

The flip side is the Steve Nashes and that baseballer who won (obviously LOVE basball). They were the best without the after a fashion part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    I don't agree. This means Cdns will not count as imports for the US clubs. There may be more Canadians playing in MLS not less.
    There's been no confirmation on this ... but the speculation is that Candians will count as import for US clubs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what people want is Canadian MLS teams to be the only professional soccer teams in the world without a domestic quota? Because that's essentially what you are saying.

As for this proposed rule, if it isn't reciprocal with the American MLS teams its a crock of shit. I will be pissed if Canadians don't count as domestics on US teams but Americans are domestic on Canadian teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I miss them having a domestic quota in EPL?

(if they did, perhaps England and Wales might develop some better players!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this is just a short term thing.

But I highly doubt Canadian MLS teams will be foolish enough not to have Canadian players on their roster at all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Did I miss them having a domestic quota in EPL?

(if they did, perhaps England and Wales might develop some better players!).
    There is a quota on foreigners. Which is the way these rules are usually written.

Of course EU law complicates things and allows players from most European nations easy access to play in the UK.

-------------

Its actually a misnomer to call it a Canadian 'quota'. We have never had a quota on the number of Canadians we needed to have. But we do have a quota on the number of 'internationals' we can have. We don't have to have a single Canadian player, we just wouldn't be able to fill a full roster.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 09-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

fucking facepalm.
    I didn't realize this was the CMNT appreciation thread and that this was a Canadian National Team supporter's forum.

Dude, if I cared about the CMNT I'd be posting on that board.

So does that mean I have to support the Canadian Curling team as well cause I live in this country?

Excuse me for not giving a fuck about the CMNT and caring about TFC only, you know, that city I live in and support .

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize this was the CMNT appreciation thread and that this was a Canadian National Team supporter's forum.

Dude, if I cared about the CMNT I'd be posting on that board.

So does that mean I have to support the Canadian Curling team as well cause I live in this country?

Excuse me for not giving a fuck about the CMNT and caring about TFC only, you know, that city I live in and support .

What's curling?

You're in a thread talking about Canada content. You didn't expect someone to be pro-Canada?

That's sad.For Canada.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 09-15-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo's quote was "North Americans are North Americans" if that's literally the case and he didn't misspeak (and simply mean that Canadians and Americans are viewed as the same) then let's get 15 Mexicans ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    I take it you're not Canadians? If you're not that's cool.
    Because my location says Detroit? Canadian born and raised, lived in Canada for 25 of the 26 years I've been alive. What relevance does that have to your point?

Stupid if this goes through. 1 of the main reasons TFC was allowed to join was on the condition they develop Canadian talent. Otherwise, would the CSA have ok'd it? Actually this is the CSA we're talking about... lol

I don't think their has to be guaranteed spots playing. if the Canadian players aren't too good, wouldn't they be on the bench?
    But if every other league favours domestic players, why don't we?
    TFC will still have an academy that will draw on the developing players in Ontario (i.e. Doneil Henry). But why restrict TFC to a certain talent pool for its senior squad?

Oh wait this is Canada, where we treat foreigners better than citizens...
    Comments like yours breed xenophobia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if the rule means US and CDN players are treated equal for all team in the league, it is good news all round.

If however CDNs are treated as imports for all teams, it certainly means the league is doing something for the advancement of US players and nothing for CDNs, at a time when there are more CDN teams coming on board.

I think all teams should have the same quotas, thereby not forcing something only on the CDN teams as has been the practice.

However if the deal is as the article states, if CDNs are only domestic for CDN teamn, but US players are domestic in both US and Canada this must be considered disappointing for CDN players in general. I wonder if canadian immigration labour law would even allow it.
    Last edited by Batman; 09-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    So what people want is Canadian MLS teams to be the only professional soccer teams in the world without a domestic quota? Because that's essentially what you are saying.

As for this proposed rule, if it isn't reciprocal with the American MLS teams its a crock of shit. I will be pissed if Canadians don't count as domestics on US teams but Americans are domestic on Canadian teams.

Agreed. If its reciprocal I think its actually better for Canadians then a strict quota of Canadian players on Canadian base teams only. Even if Canadians don't get full domestic status, it would be a victory if US based teams could designate 1 or 2 Canadians as domestics.

However I'm guessing the USSF will oppose any sort of domestic status for Canadian players on US based teams. The recent American based city restriction for next year's USSF sacntioned D2 League guidelines suggested to me that their's a protectionist bent creeping into USSF's politics.

On one player development level I can see that they might be tired of Canada leveraging their pro league infrastrucuture vs building our own. From a commerical standpoint I think they respect that Canadian cities are good soccer markets that pour incremental revenue into their system. Van and MTL have been the cornerstone franchises for USL/NASL and obviously TFC is a good earner for MLS.

The CSA needs to lobby to ensure that Canadian teams aren't just a cash machines for american leagues... Canadian player development objectives needs to be acknowledged and accomodated by the USSF. CSA does have leverage because of our teams commercial success at the MLS and USL levels. But my gut tells me CSA won't drive this agenda effectively.

In the end the Canadian teams will employ some Canadians regardless of quota, becasue is just good business for them to do it and the MLS's academy rules reward them for homebrewing talent. But it would great if we could translate the commercial success of our teams into a broader player development boon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the short run, I'm fine with whatever. The Canadian component isn't going to go away.

But long run there needs to be stated plan in place to develop players and markedly increase the content. Not having that is unacceptable.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we leave well enough alone---with the growth in soccer canadian players will develop especially through the academy's and tfc will for sure bring talent to the first team and maybe grow our own team instead of bringing in all these quick fixes that never seem to work out

just look at canadian content on cbc what has that done for canadian quality in tv land

one only has to watch tree house tv with your kids and watch TEPEE TALES what a joke that show is but its not only canadian content its native content ( and i dont have any problems with our aboriginal people its just the show is poor but put on to bolster canadian content )
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    i think we leave well enough alone---with the growth in soccer canadian players will develop especially through the academy's and tfc will for sure bring talent to the first team and maybe grow our own team instead of bringing in all these quick fixes that never seem to work out

just look at canadian content on cbc what has that done for canadian quality in tv land

one only has to watch tree house tv with your kids and watch TEPEE TALES what a joke that show is but its not only canadian content its native content ( and i dont have any problems with our aboriginal people its just the show is poor but put on to bolster canadian content )
    I compare mandatory Canadian-content regulations to the entertainment industry.

When Canadians are competing on an open field (i.e. music, comedy, entertainment), they do incredibly well. But when these affirmative action measures are in place, they quality sucks.

Allow Canadian soccer players to compete with the best in the region. That's how Canadian soccer as a whole will improve. The De Rosarios and Will Johnsons will always rise to the top. Having an insular situation where teams only select from a low-quality talent pool will not allow itself for the development of elite players, or long-term success.

Watering down the talent pool so mediocre Canadian players get a chance is only bringing down the potential of TFC and mortgages the team's future. I don't care where they're from, if a foreign player can bring wins, play him.

Besides, a successful Toronto FC is *better* for the development of Canadian soccer than some bullshit quota.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to pick on an individual player, but would Gabe Gala be on *any* squad in the MLS if his citizenship weren't an issue?

The obvious conclusion is that we'll be signing "token Canadians" to fill our roster, which is embarrassing and an insult.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to pick on an individual player, but would Gabe Gala be on *any* squad in the MLS if his citizenship weren't an issue?

The obvious conclusion is that we'll be signing "token Canadians" to fill our roster, which is embarrassing and an insult.
    But there is nothing stopping TFC from dropping him right now. TFC DOES NOT have a minimum number of Canadians it must sign. It could have zero Canadians if it wanted to. The thing is TFC would simply have a smaller roster.

What TFC does have is a maximum number of international players it is allowed to sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I compare mandatory Canadian-content regulations to the entertainment industry.

When Canadians are competing on an open field (i.e. music, comedy, entertainment), they do incredibly well. But when these affirmative action measures are in place, they quality sucks.

Allow Canadian soccer players to compete with the best in the region. That's how Canadian soccer as a whole will improve. The De Rosarios and Will Johnsons will always rise to the top. Having an insular situation where teams only select from a low-quality talent pool will not allow itself for the development of elite players, or long-term success.

Watering down the talent pool so mediocre Canadian players get a chance is only bringing down the potential of TFC and mortgages the team's future. I don't care where they're from, if a foreign player can bring wins, play him.

Besides, a successful Toronto FC is *better* for the development of Canadian soccer than some bullshit quota.
    Music might be a bad industry to compare to. Can-Con quotas on canadian radio are largely credited for the increasing numbers of Canadian recording artists making it internationally in the last 20 years. Dropping the can-con quota for Canadian MLS teams is cool with me so long as is comes with canadians to qualifying as domestics on US based teams. That opens up the number teams and of roster spots for canadians who can compete at the required level.