Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2011 Toronto FC Head Coach and GM

It's inevitable that people will start speculating so let's start here...

Who can you see coming in to fill the vacant GM and Head Coach positions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Nicol (head coach)......Shakes McQueen (GM).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ringling Bros.

Get us new clowns, these ones arent funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hire hiddick and let him be coach and gm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tovan View Post
    It's inevitable that people will start speculating so let's start here...

Who can you see coming in to fill the vacant GM and Head Coach positions?
    GM-Jim Brennan
    Head Coach-Nick Dasovic

Now ask who I want (or more specifically who I DON'T WANT)

Same two names.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Nicol would be awesome. Though Daso should be given a shot if he somehow pulls a miracle and gets TFC to playoffs
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a tried and true MLS veteran. One of the mistakes about Preki was assuming that the guy had been around the block. He really hadn't. The Mo hire was the same mistake. We've had enough pretending. I want a guy who has been in management in this league for 8-10 years.

To me, the obvious guy is Dominic Kinnear. Houston's having a bad year, so maybe they'd let him go. Not that it would be cheap. Give the guy both jobs, and get out of the way.

Yallop is another obvious idea. But he's more of a coach only, I don't see why you'd give him both jobs. Also SJ is on the way up, hard to imagine they'd let him go.

I don't get the huge love for Nicol. He'd be a similar candidate to Kinnear, probably inferior based on record the past 5 years, NE haven't been that good since 2007. Part of that is cheapskate ownership. I'm not ragging on the guy, I just don't think he's head and shoulders beyond the field. Third on my list. Second only to Kinnear if you're hiring a combined GM/coach, which I would like to see.

The other possible candidate is Sigi Schmid. The guy's a mercenary, he'd move for the right deal, it'd be an MLSE special to hire him for vast money and send valuable assets the other way as compensation.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-15-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I want a tried and true MLS veteran. One of the mistakes about Preki was assuming that the guy had been around the block. He really hadn't. The Mo hire was the same mistake. We've had enough pretending. I want a guy who has been in management in this league for 8-10 years.

To me, the obvious guy is Dominic Kinnear. Houston's having a bad year, so maybe they'd let him go. Not that it would be cheap. Give the guy both jobs, and get out of the way.

Yallop is another obvious idea. But he's more of a coach only, I don't see why you'd give him both jobs. Also SJ is on the way up, hard to imagine they'd let him go.

I don't get the huge love for Nicol. He'd be a similar candidate to Kinnear, probably inferior based on record the past 5 years, NE haven't been that good since 2007. Part of that is cheapskate ownership. I'm not ragging on the guy, I just don't think he's head and shoulders beyond the field. Third on my list. Second only to Kinnear if you're hiring a combined GM/coach, which I would like to see.

The other possible candidate is Sigi Schmid. The guy's a mercenary, he'd move for the right deal, it'd be an MLSE special to hire him for vast money and send valuable assets the other way as compensation.
    And wouldn't that piss off the Seattle and Columbus supporters.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinnear and Sigi would both be tops on my list, although I could consider others (including Nicol).

GM job is more of a question.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually a related but perhaps more important question is what roles do we want the GM and coach to fill? This is a really murky area for me, maybe because I come from a non-GM country, but I think it's crucial to have the right roles defined.

For example, who gets final say over whether a player is signed or drafted? Should the coach just have to work with the players in the squad that the GM builds, or should he be able to shape the make up of the squad himself? If it's a bit of both, how does that work if there's a dispute?

What if they agree on a player but not on how much he should get paid - one wants to pay more just to get him in and the other wants to pay less and save more cap space because he thinks that is more valuable.

If we're going to be successful then these two have to work together in perfect tandem. And I would think that the scope of the roles will have a big impact on who we want or who agrees to fill them.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One guy who is gonna get a serious look as GM is Sasho Cirovski...Director of Maryland's soccer program....played and coached in the CSL and turned Maryland into a powerhouse...knows North American soccer inside out....has been approached many times but has always turned those positions down....but he may like to come back to Canada...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dale Mitchell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin O'Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafael Carbajal (coach) and Ronald Koeman (GM) + plus someone with some MLS experience to help them navigate the MLS rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Maradona still looking for a job?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

radomir antic. just got let go by Serbia. history with clubs in spain. no idea if he'd want to come over, but he's an available name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Kinnear suggestion, or even Yallop.

Both have had success (winning the Cup, not just making the playoffs, which was Preki's claim to fame) and they've both worked with DeRo in his prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavio_Zambrano

I hope TFC will consider interviewing Zambrano. Sounds like he had a good run in MLS in the past (I didn't follow the league at that time) and he's working with KC as an asst at the moment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sigi Schmidt/Bruce Arena combo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Nice resume.....I'd like to see him (Zambrano) get interviewed at the least...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you need someone who's had success in the league, just someone who's had success somewhere. Despite what people think, the MLS is still just football, there's nothing special about it or radically different from most leagues.

I agree that the GM would need to have some MLS experience due to all the wacky rules and restrictions or at least someone with experience to lean on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would want to work for such a shit organization as ML$E???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Carver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO we probqably have never heard of who should be the GM. Look at the Shite Bulls if people knew their gm is or coach prior to comming to the MLS I commend them, but no one really had a clue.

We need to hire a director of soccer to run the entire operations from the Academy, to scouting to first team. Surround himself with two assistants one of his chossing one with extensive knowledge of the MLS. His coach w/his assistants. If he wants to keep Daso, Jimmy or Danny fine. If not keep Danny and Jimmy around for media functions ala Wendel Clark etc...

This is how you build a top class club. No BS, no drama. Tell him he has a three year to have us contending for the title not the playoffs.

Just my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil "The Tan" Brown.

I'm not at all serious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Rafael Carbajal (coach) .. + plus someone with some MLS experience to help them navigate the MLS rules.
    +1000

Milltown FC is doing great in their 1st season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing I hope they do is to design a better organization. I don't think Coach and GM is the answer. I think it should look more like:

1. Team President - A senior guy from the sporting side of a decent european football club (doesn't have to be a top tier league - just a club that is known to be well run). He should have the following direct reports; (i)the academy director and (ii)pro club director
    2. Director of Pro Club - Should be a veteran CONCACAF region soccer guy with lots of solid connections for scouting. Runs the pro club with the following reporting to him (i)coaching, (ii)scouting, and (iii) operations
    3. Manager/Coach - Runs the team. Could be MLS/CONCACAF guy or from elsewhere in the world depending on who is hired for director job.

Who would I hire?
    Team President - No clue
    Director Pro Club - Kinnear or Nicol may be getting to the point in their career where they might like to manage instead of coach
    Coach - Colin Clarke (PR Islanders), Jay Vidovich (Wake Forest) are decent candidates in the region, who knows from outside the region
    Last edited by scooterTFC; 09-15-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His name rhymes with Reindorf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Rafael Carbajal (coach) and Ronald Koeman (GM) + plus someone with some MLS experience to help them navigate the MLS rules.
    Absolutely agree.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I name that comes to mind as a head coach would be Paul Mariner, currently the head coach of Plymouth Argyle in England and was the first assistant under Steve Nicol at New England for six seasons.

I really think you want two different people in the GM and head coach role to maximize their strengths.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!