Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bring Iain Hume home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Hume

Now I don't like making wild assed, practically zero chance of signing, hairbrained scheme, but I think TFC should go after Ian Hume

I'm basing my idea on this article

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1692180/

First up is trying to find himself a new home in England. Bantams boss Mark Robins had some bad news for Hume recently after limiting the striker to just two appearances for the club this season.
    “I’ve been told to find a new club,” Hume confessed, “which is disappointing because of the work I’ve put in over the last two, three months.”
    So he's available for transfer, though transfer fee is an issue

And while he feels his immediate future lies in Europe, Hume does have a desire to play in Major League Soccer one day.
    “I would love to play for Toronto,” he said. “I’d kill to come back and play in front of my family and friends … but at the moment it’s one of those things with my family being from over there and my little one in school, it’s sort of out of the question.”
    So he has an interest in playing for TFC. Make him an offer he can't refuse, even if that's DP money.

He's a striker who can play on wing. Fills two needs for TFC. Guys who follow him more for CMNT can comment better on him as a footballer.

Well, just an idea
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Hume....he is a firecracker with a lot of spunk and can play the wing as well as forward. Still not too old and worth the money in my opinion. Great post of the article.

by the way Yohan....how did that haircut with the pistol go....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love watching him and hope he does well. That injury he had though was so serious it's always going to be a question mark for him.

That said he's a crowd pleaser and definitely the kind of player for N.A. footie fans
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nerve of that Petr Cech! Trying to contact him like that!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The nerve of that Petr Cech! Trying to contact him like that!
    I say sign him, but only if he's wearing the same kind of helmet.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Love watching him and hope he does well. That injury he had though was so serious it's always going to be a question mark for him.

That said he's a crowd pleaser and definitely the kind of player for N.A. footie fans
    He definitely would be an instant hit with his bulldog like play.....his head injury does have me a little worried though...but as I said I would take him in a heartbeat, as he would go all out to be playing on home soil day in and day out.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I say sign him, but only if he's wearing the same kind of helmet.

- Scott
    Maybe, I like what I know of him as a player....

EDIT: Globe has story wrong, several people below pointed this out so I have deleted the shot I took at Hume for slagging Cech
    Last edited by ensco; 09-01-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Hume's comments about Cech were actually about Morgan

I am quite sure that the author misconstrued Hume's statement regarding Cech, which must have been meant for Morgan. From a 2009 Daily Mail article:

"Hume was touched by the Chelsea goalkeeper's offer of advice if he found himself struggling to overcome the psychological effects of his injury.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume.

'I didn't take him up on it. I just needed to do it my way and make my own steps, just as he had to.'"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at the comments following the Globe article which clarify what Hume actually said. Seems to be a poorly written comment by the Globe writer.
    Looking forward to seeing Hume on Saturday. If he is back to his form previous to the injury, I would love to see him in TFC red.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bantams? That had me frantically checking to see when he got transferred to bradford.

anyway, Hume for TFC? I'd go for that. but then, as far as canadian forwards go, i was very excited about bringing in Gerba, so what the hell do i know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Sounds like Hume's comments about Cech were actually about Morgan

I am quite sure that the author misconstrued Hume's statement regarding Cech, which must have been meant for Morgan. From a 2009 Daily Mail article:

"Hume was touched by the Chelsea goalkeeper's offer of advice if he found himself struggling to overcome the psychological effects of his injury.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume.

'I didn't take him up on it. I just needed to do it my way and make my own steps, just as he had to.'"

This definately makes more sense....
    I was like when i read that, who the eff does Hume think he is when i read that he was mad, and he deleted.

Clearly a teammate gave Chris Morgan his number which the reason he was mad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Patch CA View Post
    Have a look at the comments following the Globe article which clarify what Hume actually said. Seems to be a poorly written comment by the Globe writer.
    Looking forward to seeing Hume on Saturday. If he is back to his form previous to the injury, I would love to see him in TFC red.
    Now that makes more sense. I will edit/delete my previous post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    The Bantams? That had me frantically checking to see when he got transferred to bradford.

anyway, Hume for TFC? I'd go for that. but then, as far as canadian forwards go, i was very excited about bringing in Gerba, so what the hell do i know?

I agree, but even from the national team stand point....
    they are totally different players.

Gerba is more of an emile heskey type,
    while Hume is more of the fearless type, get stuck in player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not the best idea IMO the reason for this is he would have to get DP money. To give an at best Championship level player that kind of money we will expect results and he more than likely won't deliver. Then we will have supporters against him complaining that he sucks and others that will defend him tooth and nail. Just like what is going on with JDG. I don't blame JDG for a lot of what has happened yes he is at fault to an extent but to set up another player to fail would be directly on the GM.

Also, IMO DP's should have a significant impact on the play of the team look at JPA, Henry, Marquez w/ Red Bulls, Donavan w/LA, Lundberg w/Seattle in his first year, GBS w/Columbus, and Blanco w/Chicago. When they play to their level they make the team significantly better. TFC on the other hand signs JDG very good player just not suited for this league. We need proper DPS and IMNO they shoudl be a "name" it would help the jersey sales and would attract potentialy new fans as we all know that the stadium has been full consitently in over a year.

just my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    This is not the best idea IMO the reason for this is he would have to get DP money. To give an at best Championship level player that kind of money we will expect results and he more than likely won't deliver. Then we will have supporters against him complaining that he sucks and others that will defend him tooth and nail. Just like what is going on with JDG. I don't blame JDG for a lot of what has happened yes he is at fault to an extent but to set up another player to fail would be directly on the GM.

Also, IMO DP's should have a significant impact on the play of the team look at JPA, Henry, Marquez w/ Red Bulls, Donavan w/LA, Lundberg w/Seattle in his first year, GBS w/Columbus, and Blanco w/Chicago. When they play to their level they make the team significantly better. TFC on the other hand signs JDG very good player just not suited for this league. We need proper DPS and IMNO they shoudl be a "name" it would help the jersey sales and would attract potentialy new fans as we all know that the stadium has been full consitently in over a year.

just my 2 cents
    Yes I completely agree with this. Another Canadian player on his way down (from the Championshiop, this isn't La Liga) who's going to come here demanding DP money. Worst is that he had a potential career ending injury. Sounds like the classic mistake Mo would make. If he was willing to come here for 200K then maybe, but no way this guy signs here for DP money. This isn't the MLS of 5 years anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

So he has an interest in playing for TFC. Make him an offer he can't refuse, even if that's DP money.
    DP money for what, being a Canadian? You must think the English coaches are blind and can't see that he's washed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd pass on Hume... he has not proven yet he's 100% after the injury.

Even before the injury, he was not a great goal scorer... and that's at a level comparable to MLS. remember her never played in the Premiership... and he's mostly played in the second and third tiers in England. Even at that, his goal scoring rate is not very good. For Canada it's been even worse.
    He's a hard working guy, but so is Chad Barrett.

DP? No way.
    Last edited by rocker; 09-01-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one would be extremely disapointed if Hume was to sign with TFC as a DP. We already have one Canadian player taking up a DP slot he does not deserve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cosign with 117.
    We'd throw him to the wolves in no time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Cosign with 117.
    We'd throw him to the wolves in no time

I say over under 1 game supporters would be down his throat.

On the 24th Minute Blog Duanne Rollins did a brief comparison of Hume & Barrett and Barrett has a better goal rate then Hume. Duane's blog was about Hume signing with Shitecaps as it was reported by some guy in BC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian Hume would be a great player for TFC on the wing or even up front as a striker.... im pretty sure he mainly plays as a winger for the CMNT and i remember watching him play in Toronto vs jamaica for WCQ.... i also met him a few days before that game... great guy... would like to see him in TFC red some day (before he gets to old)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KezmanCCCC View Post
    Ian Hume would be a great player for TFC on the wing or even up front as a striker....
    but why? what would he bring for DP prices? Beckham quality crosses? Angel quality scoring? I don't think so. We need to set our sites a bit higher for DPs now that the risk is gone. When you could have only 1 DP, I used to be very cautious about getting a DP... cuz what if he fails or gets hurt. But now with some breathing room, the risk is less. go for the gold in these spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I'd pass on Hume... he has not proven yet he's 100% after the injury.

Even before the injury, he was not a great goal scorer... and that's at a level comparable to MLS. remember her never played in the Premiership... and he's mostly played in the second and third tiers in England. Even at that, his goal scoring rate is not very good. For Canada it's been even worse.
    He's a hard working guy, but so is Chad Barrett.

DP? No way.
    Totally agreed. Has always been overvalued by Nats fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see any Canadian player as being worth DP money in the grand scheme of things. Not when you can get the likes of Marquez for the same cap hit (yes I know they're only likely to go to NY or LA if they're that level of quality). We should be getting value for money in comparison to what the others on the team make and nether of our DPs have made it to that level in a TFC jersey yet for me. **cue endless jdg debate round 17**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont like this idea much at all. He isnt a proven player, but even if we knew he would bring the same quality as JPA or Beckham, think about intl call ups. MLS doesnt give breaks for international dates. Right now, we are losing Nana, JDG, DeRo, and we could have lost Cann. Do we really want to bring in any more players that will have to leave for international duty? That would be 5 people we lose, plus anyone that plays for other international squads.

We are just asking for a repeat, of when we had lost 9 players to call ups.

Stay away from the CMNT players for the time being.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I refuse to take on this unpatriotic view simply because we have a joke of a league that will punish a team for international callups.

This also applies to other internationals that we may want to sign that represent their country.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It absolutely sucks. The league schedule should have 0 impact on what type of players we look at, but unfortunately thats the case. Until the league adopts a schedule that will recognize FIFA dates, signing more international players, and canadian players specifically (because if we have 5 canadian players, we know all 5 will be wanted for canadian duty, where the others may not be taken at the same time) will only hurt us.

I wish that we could sign absolutely anyone, but if we try too, then we just get fucked over in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be cool just to see a TFC player from the ranks of the Tranmere Rovers youth system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    I don't see any Canadian player as being worth DP money in the grand scheme of things. Not when you can get the likes of Marquez for the same cap hit (yes I know they're only likely to go to NY or LA if they're that level of quality). We should be getting value for money in comparison to what the others on the team make and nether of our DPs have made it to that level in a TFC jersey yet for me. **cue endless jdg debate round 17**
    Bingo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't see him scoring anymore than chad barrett...thus he isn't worth more than 200k