Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

santos back, lets hope he isnt rushing it because of the 3 missing players.

lets hope dobson is correct in that all 3 will play saturday vs peru and skip the match in montreal

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Nana will definitely be back after the Peru match....too me it is a match to get him capped for Canada...and what better place then at home in front of family and friends. JDG and DeRo who knows....they might get sent back as Hart is in needs of assessing how the young players will stack up against a CONCACAF team. So he may let DeRo and JDG come back with the club......
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what an unbiased commenator said about JDG in an article about DPs:

Julian de Guzman (Toronto FC): Started, played ninety minutes in 1-0 defeat to Aarabe Unido of panama in the CONCACAF Champions League - Started, played ninety minutes in scoreless draw against Real Salt Lake

Losing in Panama and only getting a point at home, the week was a disappointing one for Toronto FC. De Guzman though was arguably the club’s best field player in both matches as his defensive presence in the midfield allowed the club’s attack to push forward.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...-gets-it-going

Avery Raimondo is a respected journalist who writes often on the league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Good find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I think Nana will definitely be back after the Peru match....too me it is a match to get him capped for Canada...
    Never been fully clear on this, but I thought friendlies, no matter what the date, don't count towards being capped anymore???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Never been fully clear on this, but I thought friendlies, no matter what the date, don't count towards being capped anymore???
    I am not too clear about it either....maybe I am wrong as well. I have never been too clear on this either. He is going nowhere with regards to playing for another country in my opinion...but this is the perfect opportunity for him to make his debut for Canada at his home pitch.
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is really a good find for sure......I know I am probably the #1 JDG supporter on here and my opinion is very biased....that game against the Shite Bulls really showed me how much of a presence he is in the midfield....he transitions the ball from the defenders to the wings and strikers better than anyone on our squad. His defensive presence as well to break up plays really changes games for us......when he is not there to facilitate things our team is just mediocre.....again this is just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    My understanding is that playing in a friendly doesn't tie a player to a national team. It has to be a FIFA sanctioned tournament in order for that to happen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard both. I'd love a link. Tried to find it on FIFA and had a hell of a time...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright.....more on this player capping.......not sure I can make much of it....but here goes....

As long as the match is sanctioned by FIFA and deemed an "A" match....it is an official match that a player can be capped in......what determines an "A" match is what I am trying to find out though....

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...en2009%5fe.pdf

Around page 59 regarding International Matches......then around page 67 for Nationality rules....someone here may be able to figure it out.....
    Last edited by Ageroo; 09-01-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article by Dobson alludes to a potential storm brewing regarding DeRo's contract status in the off season. It is interesting to contemplate DeRo's future in Red for a few few reasons.

DeRo deserves to be the highest paid player on TFC without question but the inflated contract of JDG makes that scenario a virtual impossibility. At the very least I agree with the notion that he should be offered a DP level contract extension (in the 750K-1M range) to provide much needed cap relief and satisfy DeRo's well documented salary demands.

The issue is that MoJo's future with TFC is directly linked to the club's prospects of playoff success which seem very unlikely at this point. Is Tom Anselmi even willing to allow MoJo to negotiate a contract extension of that magnitude at this uncertain point of his tenure? If TFC fails to qualify for the playoffs, MoJo will likely be dismissed at the end of the season. DeRo may very well find himself in the position of being a free agent while TFC brass searches for for a new General Manager.

Our only hopes of watching our captain retire in Red could be based on his unwavering loyalty and patience...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yup, yup and yup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The article by Dobson alludes to a potential storm brewing regarding DeRo's contract status in the off season. It is interesting to contemplate DeRo's future in Red for a few few reasons.

DeRo deserves to be the highest paid player on TFC without question but the inflated contract of JDG makes that scenario a virtual impossibility. At the very least I agree with the notion that he should be offered a DP level contract extension (in the 750K-1M range) to provide much needed cap relief and satisfy DeRo's well documented salary demands.

The issue is that MoJo's future with TFC is directly linked to the club's prospects of playoff success which seem very unlikely at this point. Is Tom Anselmi even willing to allow MoJo to negotiate a contract extension of that magnitude at this uncertain point of his tenure? If TFC fails to qualify for the playoffs, MoJo will likely be dismissed at the end of the season. DeRo may very well find himself in the position of being a free agent while TFC brass searches for for a new General Manager.

Our only hopes of watching our captain retire in Red could be based on his unwavering loyalty and patience...
    I think you've got it exactly correct. DeRo deserves more money. He should get something in the range you specified. And I think that management will give it to him.

Mo won't be the one to renegotiate it. At least not until the playoff picture is sorted out. MLSE isn't that foolish.

What worried me about the Dobson article was the line, "Houston we've got a problem. No pun intended."

Is it possible that DeRo has mentioned something about returning to Houston? Perhaps Dobson is alluding to DeRo being willing to leave, in general? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe how quicly Maicon made himself a key player on this team. Talk about having an immediat impact. We need him back badly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hume comes off as a bit of dick in the article.
    Cech sounds like a nice guy reaching out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Hume comes off as a bit of dick in the article.
    Cech sounds like a nice guy reaching out.
    Check the comments at the bottom of the article. Sounds like Hume was referring to Morgan not Cech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright.....more on this player capping.......not sure I can make much of it....but here goes....

As long as the match is sanctioned by FIFA and deemed an "A" match....it is an official match that a player can be capped in......what determines an "A" match is what I am trying to find out though....

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...en2009%5fe.pdf

Around page 59 regarding International Matches......then around page 67 for Nationality rules....someone here may be able to figure it out.....
    Nana gets a "cap" for Canada during the friendly, but isn't cap tied because only WCQ and official FIFA tourneys (Gold Cup for CONCACAF)
    Canada can't cap tie any new players until the GC next year or WCQ starting after.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So "A" ranked friendlies are worth how much in FIFA points? I know they're worth a fraction of GC and WCQ games.

Sidenote: I'm almost positive Nigel has spoke about cap tieing these lads through friendlies. This must be a recent development, no? Like in the last year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure this has been posted before but looks like CONCACAF are revisiting their current World Cup Qualification set-up.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/wo...levels-playing

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tictoc View Post
    I think you've got it exactly correct. DeRo deserves more money. He should get something in the range you specified. And I think that management will give it to him.

Mo won't be the one to renegotiate it. At least not until the playoff picture is sorted out. MLSE isn't that foolish.

What worried me about the Dobson article was the line, "Houston we've got a problem. No pun intended."

Is it possible that DeRo has mentioned something about returning to Houston? Perhaps Dobson is alluding to DeRo being willing to leave, in general? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

If Houston wanted him back, I would say there is likely to be interest from the DeRo camp. He still has interests in the Houston area not to mention a fanbase that appreciated him. Combine that with Houston's underperformance this year and I am sure they'd be interested in a MVP coming back to their ranks. The only thing protecting TFC from letting this happen is the single-entity structure in MLS. Other than that, TFC is going to need to open up their wallets or risk pissing off their best player.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    I'm sure this has been posted before but looks like CONCACAF are revisiting their current World Cup Qualification set-up.

It wouldn't make things any easier for Canada.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post

I believe that if this new set up is approved qualifying would have to start in one year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wouldn't make things any easier for Canada.
    It may not make it easier, but it gives Canada a better chance of going further into qualifying and lasting longer.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Qualifying starts next fall anyway...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Qualifying starts next fall anyway...
    For South America it does.

But traditionally CONCACAF would have started in 2012. With the new format and the additional matches it will have to start in 2011 to fit them all in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love DeRo as much as most people here, but I don't get why people think that at 32 Dwayne deserves to earn double what he ever made during his prime.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good news about Santos:

Still unable to field its top offensive lineup either because of injuries or circumstances, it appears Toronto FC will at least get one key attacker back Saturday in Dallas.
    Striker Maicon Santos, injured in a 2-1 win over Chivas USA on August 7th, said Tuesday he feels good and is itching to return.
    http://www.lfpress.com/sports/soccer.../15203696.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other question I have is who will pay him more. I understand why he feels he deserves more, but what are his options. Houston was paying him a fraction of what he earns now. Will they pay him more than double they had him for. I think realistically, the main competitor would be Vancouver, but I have no idea how he would fit in their plans...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is really a good find for sure......I know I am probably the #1 JDG supporter on here and my opinion is very biased....that game against the Shite Bulls really showed me how much of a presence he is in the midfield....he transitions the ball from the defenders to the wings and strikers better than anyone on our squad. His defensive presence as well to break up plays really changes games for us......when he is not there to facilitate things our team is just mediocre.....again this is just my opinion.
    Exactly. All we need do is compare a 1 nil narrow road loss to a 4-1 pasting at home.

Julian played in New York but was suspended for the Toronto match. I think it's a clear indicator of what his value to the team is. Some may complain about his offence ... ok, fair enough ... but what about what he means to us in other areas of play.

Sure they were both losses but with him in the line-up, we had a reasonable game and with some luck could have had a draw. Without him, we were shamed.