Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post Game Thread: TFC 0-0 RSL

The Good
    -We played pretty well today, lots of chances.
    -Mista getting a full 90.
    -Nick Garcia. Fantastic work by him, both offensively and defensively.
    -Ty Harden was a suitable replacement for Nana Attakora.
    -De Guzman had a great game IMO.

The Bad
    -
    0-0 at home when we needed 3 points.
    -Honestly, not a lot. Just no goals.
    -O'Brian White and Jacob Peterson are not good enough.

The Ugly
    -Our playoff chances are dwindling.

Other Thoughts
    -Gargan throws are awesome. We need to utilize our wingbacks way more. Today, Gargan/Usanov as well as Garcia provided a lot of wing play, but they are just not good enough at the delivery. We need to capitalize on these chances.
    Last edited by ArmenJBX; 08-28-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think today just solidified the fact that we wont make the playoffs... again

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a league that's growing, we have seemingly been left behind. Perhaps this year isn't our year, but I feel a lot better with Preki in charge as well as the way this team is playing now.

We are playing soccer, finally. We know how to pass. We just need more away points. We need to be a strong team away from home, but that comes with confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So glad I missed the game, I look at it as saving twenty bucks on parking. Stay Average, Toronto!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    I think today just solidified the fact that we wont make the playoffs... again
    +1

This is the one and only thing that has to be remembered about this match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says a lot about the quality of East vs West teams when 3rd place in the East has 26 points and 3rd place in the West has 37.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    We just need more away points. We need to be a strong team away from home, but that comes with confidence.
    Not this season.
    Maybe next one, maybe 2012.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It entirely possible. We need about 15 points to make playoffs. We have 9 games. If we win our next 3 home matches, that 9 points, which leaves 6 points in 6 games. That's not impossible. A couple wins away from home will do wonders for our season, if it's possible. That's assuming 42 points takes us in. If the standard is 43, then still, 16 points in 9 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    The Good
    -We played pretty well today, lots of chances.
    -Mista getting a full 90.
    -Nick Garcia. Fantastic work by him, both offensively and defensively.
    -Ty Harden was a suitable replacement for Nana Attakora.
    -De Guzman had a great game IMO.

The Bad
    -
    0-0 at home when we needed 3 points.
    -Honestly, not a lot. Just no goals.
    -O'Brian White and Jacob Peterson are not good enough.

The Ugly
    -Our playoff chances are dwindling.

Other Thoughts
    -Gargan throws are awesome. We need to utilize our wingbacks way more. Today, Gargan/Usanov as well as Garcia provided a lot of wing play, but they are just not good enough at the delivery. We need to capitalize on these chances.
    my only disagreement is JDG. I didn't see anything particularly awesome about him tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad game from the guys, but just not good enough. A team that's as bad on the road as ours can't afford to take less than full points at home, even against MLS' finest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least we didn't lose.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    my only disagreement is JDG. I didn't see anything particularly awesome about him tonight.
    +1. I don't he had a bad game, but I don't really remember him doing anything too much spectacular

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

peterson has to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peterson is crap, White is crap, we miss Maicon and Barrett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White was more craptacular than usual, he seems like he has no idea whats going on out there lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    White was more craptacular than usual, he seems like he has no idea whats going on out there lol.
    I don't think he ever had clue about anything going on around him. I'd say it was a pretty standard OBW performance today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only got home from work in time to catch the second half on television, but what I saw was fetid and dreadful. I heard the first half was a bit more inspired.

It hit me like a ton of bricks watching this game, how many of our players either a) don't move when they are off the ball, or b) just run up the pitch in a straight line, and wait for one of those signature 30 yard aerial through passes of ours that hit their target about 3% of the time.

Aside from that, there were the usual bizarre pass choices, shinball (derived from "shin" and "pinball"), and the rest.

I've tried to remain hopeful about our prospects this season, but I think the ride may be close to over. I still think Preki has taken a side that was expected to be significantly more dreadful at the opening of this campaign, and made them thoroughly middle-of-the-road - but I suspect he has taken this poor, unbalanced lineup as far as he can.

Creative attacking players are worth their weight in gold, and we have almost no players fitting that description. Wing players are also golden tickets, and we have one (and he's mediocre - Peterson).

The wasn't a terrible performance by the team - it just wasn't enough. And it hasn't been enough for four god damned years.

The Mo Johnston era needs to end.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It hit me like a ton of bricks watching this game, how many of our players either a) don't move when they are off the ball, or b) just run up the pitch in a straight line, and wait for one of those signature 30 yard aerial through passes of ours that hit their target about 3% of the time.

- Scott
    This sums up the last 4 years of post game threads lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OBW is Fuad Ibrahim v.2. Ton of potential but at some point you need to produce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does De Ro slip 5 times per game? does he need new shoes?

Peterson was pretty bad... not as bad as he was against NYRB, but as a sub he has brought nothing... absolutely nothing... to this team.

Cann is awesome. What a rock this guy is. I liked him with Harden.
    Last edited by rocker; 08-28-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, seemed to be a lot of newbies out today... at least in my section. And man, I think I missed 15 minutes of the match with people coming to the wrong rows, standing in the aisle and blocking views to figure out where their seats are... people sneaking into seats and then getting turfed by the rightful owners.... people going back and forth for food twice during each half.... beer vendors standing directly in front of me and handing beer down 10 seats. It was so damn frustrating. Can't people just watch the game for once??? I was so pissed I freaked out on one guy who stood in the aisle watching the game right in front of me. I think he thought I was going crazy.
    They need to have a rule where you can't come back to your seat until there's a stop in play, like in hockey games. Drastic yes, but this is getting ridiculous in my section.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't a terrible game by us, and in isolation a point against rsl isn't a terrible result, but we really needed more, and we never really looked like we were going to get more, i think we could have played all night and not scored.

Frei was good, and the defence was generally solid, usanov had a decent half, garcia had a good game, harden was solid as a replacement for Nana.

Gargan was popping up all over the place. Saric really isn't good enough as a winger though. It's a sad indictment of peterson that we play saric on the wing ahead of him, but peterson did nothing to suggest that's the wrong choice when he came on, utterly ineffective.

Up front, this game really showed how badly we need at least one of barrett and santos to come back soon. De Ro and Mista are both more comfortable attacking the defence from deep, so in the first half we were effectively playing 4-4-2-0.

So i was glad just for the sake of our formation that White came on at half time, we need someone to stretch the defence to give de ro and mista room cos we've got no decent wingers who can do that, but White was once again hopeless. he just seems really timid and indecisive out there, never looking dangerous in any way at all. Problem is, our only other option for this role is ibby, which isn't really an improvement.

all in all, I agree with Georgebest, meh!

Most entertaining part of the night for me was after the game i hung out outside gate 4, there was a superdrunk chick who got a player to sign her chest, unfortunately for her she had no clue who's who and just got the first player who came out, which was Kocic. about half an hour later she was puking.

also a couple of guys in run tfc shirts, which a lot of the players seemed to like, especially Nana, so one of them actually took the shirt off to give to him.

anyway, I suppose it could have been worse, but we've put ourselves in a position where we needed the 3 points today, and without them, our playoff hopes are receeding.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Peterson is crap, White is crap, we miss Maicon and Barrett.
    This right here sums up what's wrong with our team right now.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    OBW is Fuad Ibrahim v.2. Ton of potential but at some point you need to produce.
    Except OBW is 24 and Ibrahim's still only 19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimism is fine, stupid fucking blind optimism annoys me.

We weren't awful but we weren't good. If Chicago wins against Seattle (1-1 right now) I think we should probably declare this season over. We can't do shit on the road and we've dropped 5 crucial points at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MFG1 View Post
    So glad I missed the game, I look at it as saving twenty bucks on parking. Stay Average, Toronto!
    Huh ??? That was a cracking game tonight, exciting to the last. RSL is a damn good team. TFC were very good tonite and De Guzman was outstanding . What are u people talking about ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay great news Chicago lose, Seattle wins in stoppage time, and Ljungberg misses the next match due to yellows.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still have a chance at the playoffs (and yes I am the president for my local chapter of Optimist International...of course I'm the only member) but from here on it has to be wins and no losses and MAYBE a few ties but that's it. Also, we have to remember that Chicago has 2-3 games in hand on us and are right behind us in the standings.

Am I the only one who thinks Toledo refed a good game? Maybe all of those death threats paid off.

I can't get that image out of my head towards the 70th minute as RSL looked a bit tired but TFC looked 'BEAT!'. TFC had an extra days rest after the Panama match than RSL's Mexico Marsh Match and yet we still looked like the ones who just stepped off the plane. This has been a problem for TFC since day one and I want to know what the other MLS clubs are doing differently to keep their guys fresh through the season (and the first person who says Tupperware gets a Falcon Punch next time I see them).