Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 53

Thread: Red tide rising

  1. #1
    Barbarez
    Guest

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East of Vancouver
    Posts
    3,943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post
    The man has a point.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    I come from the hills...
    Posts
    17,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fantastic article. Good point on the pricing of the tickets as well. My understanding is that the Montreal tickets were fairly cheap in comparison, weren't they?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East of Vancouver
    Posts
    3,943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Fantastic article. Good point on the pricing of the tickets as well. My understanding is that the Montreal tickets were fairly cheap in comparison, weren't they?
    Highest ticket was $30.
    Big dif compared to us eh?
    Plus their ticketmaster fees are only 3.75

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    great article.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    I come from the hills...
    Posts
    17,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow... ours were what, double that? More for the highest ticket I would assume.

  7. #7
    blackandwhite
    Guest

    Default

    do you work for CSA or something?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East of Vancouver
    Posts
    3,943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Wow... ours were what, double that? More for the highest ticket I would assume.
    Lucky if it was double, more like triple, quadruple in some cases...

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    I come from the hills...
    Posts
    17,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And they wonder why they have problems selling tickets.

  10. #10
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Beaches
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Lucky if it was double, more like triple, quadruple in some cases...
    You know what was funny about that? I bought the cheapest ticket to that and because nobody showed up they moved everyone down to fill the bottom. We ended up sitting in the first row with a few people who paid full price for front row. Man I would have been pissed if I were them.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    on the TTC
    Posts
    1,241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I definitely agree that they should keep the price down. They should generate interest in the National team by making it affordable and getting the public hooked.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East of Vancouver
    Posts
    3,943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I definitely agree that they should keep the price down. They should generate interest in the National team by making it affordable and getting the public hooked.
    They should market the f*CK out of it to the local youth footy clubs. That would EASILY eat up 3-4k seats.
    Although we have the CSA factor again...

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tahrawnah
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I were running the show for Canada's WC qualifiers, I'd have two ticket prices. $35, lower west and east between the boxes, $20 everywhere else. I'd cap service charges at $3 per transaction.

    I'd give TFC STH's first dibs on their seats. I'd also give a prior-to-the-public sale of packages of remaining cheaper-priced seats to local youth soccer organizations.

    I think most TFC fans would instantly take their seats at those prices. The soccer clubs I've had contact with over recent years would love to get involved in something like this and would gobble up their share of tickets very quickly. The kids would go nuts for Canada.

    You'd pack the joint, minimize the support for the visitors and create a visual and sonic spectacle that would have sponsors sitting up and taking note of.

    There, was that so hard?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    I come from the hills...
    Posts
    17,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    If I were running the show for Canada's WC qualifiers, I'd have two ticket prices. $35, lower west and east between the boxes, $20 everywhere else. I'd cap service charges at $3 per transaction.

    I'd give TFC STH's first dibs on their seats. I'd also give a prior-to-the-public sale of packages of remaining cheaper-priced seats to local youth soccer organizations.

    I think most TFC fans would instantly take their seats at those prices. The soccer clubs I've had contact with over recent years would love to get involved in something like this and would gobble up their share of tickets very quickly. The kids would go nuts for Canada.

    You'd pack the joint, minimize the support for the visitors and create a visual and sonic spectacle that would have sponsors sitting up and taking note of.

    There, was that so hard?
    Only if you are in any way shape or form involved with the CSA.

  15. #15
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec-115
    Posts
    9,922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From V's board,ideas for Canada banner:
    http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=16180


    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !


  16. #16
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec-115
    Posts
    9,922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They should promrote those tickets with EX at CNE.EX starts at Aug.15,
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !


  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    Posts
    4,981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Too Bad I will be rooting for Jamaica!@


  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post

    EDIT: i.e. Ultras leftist or... (can someone move this to the correct thread =P)

    I briefly scanned the blog... and immediately went and read the Che piece....

    Personally I think the entire purpose nowadays of using Che as a figure or icon has diminished and backfired... it actually disgusts me... it makes some look like posers more than the believers behind the ideology.... why do you ask? Well... There are a dozen of other political figures like Che who can represent the same stance that you are trying to portray... but everyone and their uncle inlaw uses Che as a figure... because to some it is the cool thing to do and to use others it is not...



    El Subcommandante Marcos
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS



  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    EDIT: i.e. Ultras leftist or... (can someone move this to the correct thread =P)

    I briefly scanned the blog... and immediately went and read the Che piece....

    Personally I think the entire purpose nowadays of using Che as a figure or icon has diminished and backfired... it actually disgusts me... it makes some look like posers more than the believers behind the ideology.... why do you ask? Well... There are a dozen of other political figures like Che who can represent the same stance that you are trying to portray... but everyone and their uncle inlaw uses Che as a figure... because to some it is the cool thing to do and to use others it is not...



    El Subcommandante Marcos
    You know what I personally have a problem with? People who jump on the bandwaggon of bashing those who rock Che gear and label them as trend followers.

    I can find you hundreds of South American revolutionary figures who were monumental in the struggle against totalitarianism - from Camilo Torres Restrepo to Allende to Carlos Fonseca and Augusto Sandino, but so what? Che is an international symbol of a struggle against oppression, who we happen to identify with in a non-political way. So you insulting us by making that banner, I take personally.

    So please, keep your stereotypes to yourself.
    Last edited by TFCBrigade; 06-25-2008 at 11:46 PM.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    too bad they dont make shirts with pictures of lech walesa, adamdz we have to get some made

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Siiiiide
    Posts
    24,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFCBrigade View Post
    You know what I personally have a problem with? People who jump on the bandwaggon of bashing those who rock Che gear and label them as trend followers.

    I can find you hundreds of South American revolutionary figures who were monumental in the struggle against totalitarianism - from Camilo Torres Restrepo to Allende to Carlos Fonseca and Augusto Sandino, but so what? Che is an international symbol of a struggle against oppression, who we happen to identify with in a non-political way. So you insulting us by making that banner, I take personally.

    So please, keep your stereotypes to yourself.
    Then you missed the point of his comment.

    You freely admit using a trendy (although you don't use the word "trendy") figure of revolution but then get upset when you get called out for submitting yourself to the trend itself.

    Odd that Flush is not the one I would accuse of using a stereotype. Most Latinos I know cringe at the commercialization and minimization of one of our historical figures. But what can we do? It's not possible to fight the trend. But I wouldn't call it a bandwagon. We have always felt this way...ever since Cuba started selling out his image.

    All I know is that 10 years ago, had TFC existed, I doubt we would have seen Che Guevara's portrait at any stadium in Toronto. If that does not point to it's trendiness, I don't know what does.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    WHO cares, people where what they want, its not like theyre harming anybody. I've seen banners on the railings of the south section during games with che on them, and that is why this discussion started, i guess it can bug some people since its not really related to tfc, but until everysingle banner at tfc games has che on it, dont worry. Its not a big deal.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Then you missed the point of his comment.

    You freely admit using a trendy (although you don't use the word "trendy") figure of revolution but then get upset when you get called out for submitting yourself to the trend itself.

    Odd that Flush is not the one I would accuse of using a stereotype. Most Latinos I know cringe at the commercialization and minimization of one of our historical figures. But what can we do? It's not possible to fight the trend. But I wouldn't call it a bandwagon. We have always felt this way...ever since Cuba started selling out his image.

    All I know is that 10 years ago, had TFC existed, I doubt we would have seen Che Guevara's portrait at any stadium in Toronto. If that does not point to it's trendiness, I don't know what does.
    Odd that there is a counter-revolution (ha at the irony) or a movement of individuals who aim to insult anybody who sports Ernesto's image; whether it be on a shirt, on a poster, or on a banner. Because Che is seen as a trend, I am to submit myself to that train of thought by refusing to rock a shirt (or make a banner) of a figure whom I personally admire? Why - because of all the Pradda-Che wearing air-heads? I don't think so.

    And most Latino's that I know do not cringe at the commercialization of Che's image unless its spearheaded by makeshift revolutionaries, or idiots who know nothing about the man. I on the other hand, do know something about the man and about his movement.

    I study and take great pleasure in knowing and understanding South American revolutionaries and their movements, thus to attack me (or the group for making a Che banner) is rather offensive.

    And why would you see a Che picture at any other sporting event in Toronto when all other sporting events do not have the same supporter group culture of football?

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Not a member, so it doesn't matter
    Posts
    2,899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very well written and poignant.

    Kepp them coming.

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFCBrigade View Post
    You know what I personally have a problem with? People who jump on the bandwaggon of bashing those who rock Che gear and label them as trend followers.

    I can find you hundreds of South American revolutionary figures who were monumental in the struggle against totalitarianism - from Camilo Torres Restrepo to Allende to Carlos Fonseca and Augusto Sandino, but so what? Che is an international symbol of a struggle against oppression, who we happen to identify with in a non-political way. So you insulting us by making that banner, I take personally.

    So please, keep your stereotypes to yourself.
    I want you to sit down and think about this...

    In North America:

    Che means everything, and yet it means NOTHING.

    inhale that for a second or two...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS



  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Posts
    3,376
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    I want you to sit down and think about this...

    In North America:

    Che means everything, and yet it means NOTHING.

    inhale that for a second or two...
    Isn't that what Salah-Hadin said about Jeruselum?

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Mainland
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Supporting Che and his ideologies but then making a banner in his image and saying it isn't political? I don't understand this.......

    I thought we were going to keep politics out of the stadium?

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KdotOdot View Post
    Isn't that what Salah-Hadin said about Jeruselum?

    hahahaha are you kidding me?! if he did then... call me Salah-Hadin!!!!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS



  29. #29
    Barbarez
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Supporting Che and his ideologies but then making a banner in his image and saying it isn't political? I don't understand this.......

    I thought we were going to keep politics out of the stadium?
    Something you and the red patch crew agreed on doesn't go for everybody Nomad.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whether I personally like Che or not is irrelavant to the banner. I already explained the banner, and its getting tiring explaining it over and over again.

    And Flush, what difference does that make? So just because something is "irrelevant" to Canadian society (or what you deem to be irrelevant to Canadian society) we are not to talk about it or present it? Uhm, the logic never ceases to amaze me.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •